Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Speaking of which, is that going to be $50 even digitally?

My (potentially naive) assumption is that the first physical run will be $50 because of all the special edition stuff and add-ons and that the digital version will be standard, but I don't know anything about anything, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BadAstronaut posted:

OK serious question... How the hell do you play this for 100/200+ hours? Where does this time go? Replaying on higher difficulties? that's just... So much TIME.

From a pure content breakdown, here's what Awakening contains (not including DLC):
-26 story chapters plus a prologue with two different genders that offer widely different support conversations and marriage options.

-23 sidequest chapters called Paralogues (17 throughout the main-game, 6 in the post-game)

-Over 400 support conversations between various characters not including both Avatars who can literally talk to anyone.

-Spotpass teams which feature rosters of every single Fire Emblem game created.

Now if we include DLC....

Tae fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 28, 2013

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nintendo 3DS General Discussion - Yes, buy Fire Emblem Awakening.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
How are you guys holding your 3DS, my hands get pins and needles if I hold it for more than 15 min. Are there any attachments or anything to make it more comfy to hold?

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jut posted:

How are you guys holding your 3DS, my hands get pins and needles if I hold it for more than 15 min. Are there any attachments or anything to make it more comfy to hold?

I get this too

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

OK serious question... How the hell do you play this for 100/200+ hours?.

Anything over 100 hours usually means someone's been spamming the same spotpass team/dlc over and over again for supports/grinding for hours on end which isn't a very worthwhile indicator of content value. A regular playthrough is 30-40 hours, less if you start skipping animations at some point. Tack on another 30 for a Lunatic playthrough if you're not cheesing the gently caress out of it with Nosferatu or whatever else (considering how easily the game folds in half, not cheesing might be easier said than done of course).

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 28, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Jut posted:

If you are getting pins and needles it might be more the angle of how you are holding it rather than the 3DS itself. I've got giant hands and the regular 3DS was a nightmare to play, I got hand cramps all the time. The XL is certainly better, but something like the Wii U Gamepad is the perfect size as far as my hands go.

I did find adding the Circle Pad Pro to my XL made it much more comfortable though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

If you are getting pins and needles it might be more the angle of how you are holding it rather than the 3DS itself. I've got giant hands and the regular 3DS was a nightmare to play, I got hand cramps all the time. The XL is certainly better, but something like the Wii U Gamepad is the perfect size as far as my hands go.

I did find adding the Circle Pad Pro to my XL made it much more comfortable though.

I've never used a regular 3DS but from what I know the DSlite is about the same size and I get cramps in my hands when I use that for a long time. It was exacerbated badly by a broken hinge too.

Like you, I put my XL in it's CPP when I struggle to get my hands comfortable while holding the XL and it's pretty comfortable in that, but the XL is generally comfortable to use without it I find.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Super Mario 3D Land (NA) code for someone who can use the Club Nintendo points and doesn't already have it. I've registered the game before, but you can't earn coins for the same game, even different copies, twice.

68U-Y7WS-NW6B-WJ3

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wee Bairns posted:

Super Mario 3D Land (NA) code for someone who can use the Club Nintendo points and doesn't already have it. I've registered the game before, but you can't earn coins for the same game, even different copies, twice.

68U-Y7WS-NW6B-WJ3

Snagged this, thanks!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I finally got my first StreetPass (the special ones over SpotPass or Wi-fi or whatever don't count) today, holy poo poo. Considering all the times I bring my 3DS to campus, I have no idea why TODAY was the one day I actually got one.

He was only a Level 1 hero and didn't have any pink puzzle pieces. :suicide:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Color Printer posted:

I finally got my first StreetPass (the special ones over SpotPass or Wi-fi or whatever don't count) today, holy poo poo. Considering all the times I bring my 3DS to campus, I have no idea why TODAY was the one day I actually got one.

Heroes only level up with how many times you've Streetpass with them. :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Edit: ^^ :argh:

Every first streetpass with someone produces a level one hero. The only way to get higher level heroes is to streetpass that person again, in which case their level will go up by one each time. Have fun!

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Color Printer posted:

The Find Mii level of other players depends on how many times you have passed that person. Pass someone twice and he or she is level two, three times for level three, et cetera. As for pink pieces... well, they have to come from someone! :v:

As of late I've gotten a few unexpected StreetPasses just from driving up and down the highway with my 3DS on me. Apparently I've been lucky enough to be within communication range of someone else's 3DS long enough to exchange StreetPass information.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The whole Find Mii thing is extremely infuriating if you don't have a solid streetpass partner, they clearly did not think it through for non-Japan. Oh well.

Aurain posted:

I've never used a regular 3DS but from what I know the DSlite is about the same size and I get cramps in my hands when I use that for a long time. It was exacerbated badly by a broken hinge too.

Like you, I put my XL in it's CPP when I struggle to get my hands comfortable while holding the XL and it's pretty comfortable in that, but the XL is generally comfortable to use without it I find.
The 3DS is about the same size as the DS Lite, yes, but for some reason the Lite is much more comfortable to hold. It's pretty bad.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
To add to the Find Mii StreetPass discussion, you can only "level up" a Mii you've StreetPassed up to level 7. You can go over level 7 if you either use the magic from a green shirted hero if one of your level 7 Miis is next in line, or if you're playing Find Mii 2, use a Power Potion to level everyone in your party up (which is insanely expensive, but worth using against the final boss).

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I still can't beat the Ultimate Ghost at the end of Find Mii. I've been up against him for like 2 months now, although its partially my fault for not buying cats, but what can I say, I'm a play-coin hoarder. I did get two streetpasses at the concert I went to last night, including Rob Sheridan :allears: They even had pink puzzle pieces.

Are there any major differences between Find Mii 1 and 2 or is it more of the same?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

EGSunBro posted:

I still can't beat the Ultimate Ghost at the end of Find Mii. I've been up against him for like 2 months now, although its partially my fault for not buying cats, but what can I say, I'm a play-coin hoarder. I did get two streetpasses at the concert I went to last night, including Rob Sheridan :allears: They even had pink puzzle pieces.

Are there any major differences between Find Mii 1 and 2 or is it more of the same?

There's 2 more royals to save (your mii but as a prince and princess) and branching paths. It's also longer and I think the end boss is harder. You can hire old players you've met before (I just re-hire Iwata :3:) and use potions and double attacks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

EGSunBro posted:

You also can pair up your Miis wearing similar colors, to strengthen your attacks. Same color pairings grant four attacks, which really helps you breeze past the early areas.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Can someone explain the differences between the DS Animal Crossing and New Leaf, apart from more things to catch, wear, buy, etc.? Are there actual gameplay changes? When I played Animal Crossing on the DS I always felt it could use some proper mini games, e.g. when you buy a dart board for your house, you could play a darts mini game with friends. This would obviously require a (unrealistically) huge amount of content, but in a trailer for New Leaf there seems to be at least some kind of robot bashing game, which got my hopes up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

New Leaf should have more social features this time around, as it's on the 3ds with streetpass capabilities and spotpass.

Should make PAX Prime pretty interesting.

Question: Do I have to have a specific game in the cart in order to get streetpass info? Like, can I get FEA info with New Leaf in the 3ds?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
No. Yes.

If you go to the System Settings there's some option to delete Streetpass data, that'll show you what's currently active.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Laser Spider posted:

As of late I've gotten a few unexpected StreetPasses just from driving up and down the highway with my 3DS on me. Apparently I've been lucky enough to be within communication range of someone else's 3DS long enough to exchange StreetPass information.

This has happened to me too! I live on Long Island, so a half hour outside New York City, but I mostly drive further from the city rather than closer to so I'm always surprised when I get some.

FLX posted:

Can someone explain the differences between the DS Animal Crossing and New Leaf, apart from more things to catch, wear, buy, etc.?

Well, ya have pants and skirts. You can go swimming. You're the mayor so you can shape the town to your liking and spend your Bells on public works projects. Tortimer has moved to a tropical island where you can go with other players and play, yes, minigames. I'm generally pretty uncritical about stuff I enjoy and I'm not expecting a radically new experience but the 3DS features have got me pretty excited about New Leaf.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FLX posted:

Can someone explain the differences between the DS Animal Crossing and New Leaf, apart from more things to catch, wear, buy, etc.? Are there actual gameplay changes? When I played Animal Crossing on the DS I always felt it could use some proper mini games, e.g. when you buy a dart board for your house, you could play a darts mini game with friends. This would obviously require a (unrealistically) huge amount of content, but in a trailer for New Leaf there seems to be at least some kind of robot bashing game, which got my hopes up.
It is mainly about more poo poo, but they did add some minigame stuff to the new tropical island zone. It doesn't seem like anything too crazy though and its all within the context of regular AC gameplay, so its mainly fruit collecting, bug catching, and fishing contests. There's an island store that sells items exclusively in minigame money too, so its not totally pointless I guess.

I totally agree that more interactivity would be cool, but it will never happen in these games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FLX posted:

The first big obvious change is that you play as the mayor of the town in this game, which gives you the ability to customise many aspects of the town itself through community works projects, as well as enact new laws that change the trading hours of stores, get villagers to maintain public gardens for themselves, etc.

As far as active minigames go, there's an island you can travel to where Tortimer (the old mayor) lets you play a bunch of different minigames via local or online multiplayer; there are a few different difficulties, and playing them lets you win medals which can be exchanged for rare items. You can play with friends or with randoms, no idea if you can play on your own and/or with bots.

There are a bunch more social features in general, including but not limited to:

-"Happy Home Suite", which lets you view the houses of people you've met via Streetpass; these homes are displayed as miniature model homes that you can look around in, and you can order any furniture displayed in these homes that you don't already own. (Nintendo will be distributing model homes via Spotpass for the international version, too, so if you don't/can't use Streetpass you won't miss out.) You can also see the avatars of the people you've passed, and if you pass them repeatedly they'll give you exclusive items like balloons, pinwheels, etc.

-"Dream Suite", which lets you visit special "dream" versions of other peoples' towns at any time; visiting someone's town requires you to enter a specific code not unlike a friend code, and because it's a dream town you can't actually affect anything (upside: you can trash their town with complete impunity). The game automatically saves the village number of people you've Streetpassed, too, which is nice.

-You can nominate people on your online friends list as "best friends", which lets you chat back and forth when you're both online, and you can also send out bulletins to all your best friends at once.

-Custom furniture/outfit patterns can be exported as a QR Code and traded online; these codes are region-free and are scanned using the 3DS' camera

-You can save in-game screenshots as image files to the SD card, and Nintendo recently launched a website that lets you upload them directly to blogs and Twitter using the 3DS Browser

On top of that there are more predictable changes - craploads more items, new villagers, lots of new stores, new actions (swimming!), yada yada. New Leaf is easily the biggest upgrade since the DS game, I don't think people will be disappointed on that front.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Just finished Liberation Maiden, totally worth the $5 I think it was? Also, what's the frame rate like in Ocarina of Time? I never played it on the n64, so I'm assuming that's a must buy?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Nuts and Gum posted:

Just finished Liberation Maiden, totally worth the $5 I think it was? Also, what's the frame rate like in Ocarina of Time? I never played it on the n64, so I'm assuming that's a must buy?

It's 30 fps. Arguably the best Zelda game with prettier graphics, get it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I honestly think Ocarina of Time 3D is the definitive version of OoT. The graphics/framerate/3D effects are all great plus you can play a more challenging version of Master Quest once you beat the game. I never got to play Master Quest back on the GCN so it was a big selling point for me and despite being fairly ridiculous in nature I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah, I also think the 3DS version is far and away the best way to play the game. The interface is much faster and way more convenient, and the graphics look pretty good. It really lets the better parts of the game be even better now that you're not constantly going in and out of menus to switch items around. It just feels like you're doing the fun parts all the time and the less fun parts very rarely. I also dig the ability to fine tune aim with the gyroscope.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oh yeah, the gyroscope helped me pass the slightshot/archery ranges with flying colors. You don't even need to turn off the 3D if you're firing off one shot on the fly-- just close one eye and pretend like you're actually firing a bow. :buddy:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Thanks for confirming, just downloaded it. How did we ever live without eShops?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Hey, got a weird bug with Mario3D, wondering if anyone else has seen it.

My Mii (main one on the system) has save slot 1. Been working perfectly, 5 starred and still able to be used.
My wife's Mii started a game on slot 2. Played a bit, saved after levels as usual. When the game restarts, though, her file says Empty. If she clicks on it anyway and then chooses her Mii it creates a save file with her progress up to date, strangely. I note that in the corner of the screen where you get the M for beating the level (or L and/or flag) there is no M. Everything else seems fine.

Any ideas?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
OK so I am considering buying the Fire Emblem 3ds XL (euro) pack and it seems to have no ac charger with it. I already have a ordinary 3ds with the stand charger thing, do I need to get some other charger to recharge it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can use the charger, but the cradle is obviously too small. (Unless the cable is hard wired to the cradle, I don't have one of those)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Does switching to the XL make the 3D better or worse? I turn off the 3D 95% of the time because in most games it hurts my eyes. I played through almost all of Super Mario 3D Land with it on but for some reason in Fire Emblem I couldn't stand it at all.

Like at this point I usually just assume I will not be playing a game in 3D.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does switching to the XL make the 3D better or worse? I turn off the 3D 95% of the time because in most games it hurts my eyes. I played through almost all of Super Mario 3D Land with it on but for some reason in Fire Emblem I couldn't stand it at all.

Like at this point I usually just assume I will not be playing a game in 3D.

The XL's sweet spot is a little smaller, but for me the bigger screen makes it more immersive. How well the 3D effect works depends on the game however. Some games have very subtle 3D even with the slider at max and with others I get headaches at the half way point.

Edit:

quote:

Animal Crossing New Leaf stuff
Thanks :) The social features definitely sound very nice. I only have to buy one more game for the current "buy 3 get 1 free" thing and I was wondering wether to get Fire Emblem as a physical copy and Animal Crossing as a free download or the other way around, since I like to be able to sell games that I'm done with, unless they offer a huge amounts of play time. Of course both of those games do, which makes it so hard to decide :D

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 29, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dream suite isn't the only way to visit other villages right? Can I still visit my friends towns and hang out with them/run through their daisies?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Dream suite isn't the only way to visit other villages right? Can I still visit my friends towns and hang out with them/run through their daisies?

Oh yeah, you can visit peoples' towns both locally and online, just like before. Dream Suite is just a way to check out/show off peoples' towns without having to worry about people trashing them, or being online at the same time, or whatever.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

FLX posted:

I was wondering whether to get Fire Emblem as a physical copy and Animal Crossing as a free download

I suggest this. If you are even going to try and play Animal Crossing, it's alot easier having always on hand. Compared to Fire Emblem, where if you don't go super spergy after the credits, you can cope with only having on hand occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Crawfish posted:

I suggest this. If you are even going to try and play Animal Crossing, it's alot easier having always on hand. Compared to Fire Emblem, where if you don't go super spergy after the credits, you can cope with only having on hand occasionally.

That's a good point. I remember that I often just quickly checked into my AC:WW town on the DS to see how things were going. Not having to put a card into the 3DS for this definitely sounds practical.

• Locked thread