Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Watch sac first.

When I first watched innocence I thought it was a bunch of pretentious bullshit. Mainly, because like you say the most fleshed out character from the first movie doesn't appear. On the other hand, after watching sac and then giving innocence another try, I enjoyed it much much more, since I was familiar with the rest of the cast who's short moments are more like treats than short lines from random mooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

I actually feel like Innocence is a better film overall, but I'm generally in the minority on that, and it's not based on much more than how I felt after watching Ghost in the Shell and Innocence back to back. I'm also a big Oshii dorkus.
There's some references from and cues to Innocence in SAC, but you'll live without knowing them if it's bothering you. I'd say it's worth watching for its own sake though. It's beautiful and the music is excellent as heck.

Is the music in Innocence also by Yoko Kanno? Her music for SAC is amazing, so I would take your word for it if it was her.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No, it's Kenji Kawai. Same as the first film iirc. Him and Mamoru Oshii are like my slam dunk dream team.

For the record, I did watch Innocence after already having seen Stand Alone Complex, so that's likely to affect my view of it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

tsuki posted:

I guess a bromance or buddy show with fast-paced action or comedy would be a good fit. Old (80s, 90s) shows are fine.
"Daily Lives of High School Boys" might be what you're looking for there.

tsuki
Aug 30, 2005
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Tiger and Bunny. (I didn't care for it but a lot of people here loved it, and it suits this description perfectly.)

Robert Denby posted:

"Daily Lives of High School Boys" might be what you're looking for there.

Thanks, both of these were hits with my husband. I really didn't expect Daily Lives of High School Boys to be so funny.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all. I finally finished watching Perfect Blue, so now I've seen all of Satoshi Kon's work, which has left me incredibly depressed. My favourite anime series that I've seen is Paranoia Agent. Are there any series/mini-series similar to this? I enjoy how with much of Kon's work the media becomes so obsessed with its own metaphor that it becomes outright fantasy by its end.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all. I finally finished watching Perfect Blue, so now I've seen all of Satoshi Kon's work, which has left me incredibly depressed. My favourite anime series that I've seen is Paranoia Agent. Are there any series/mini-series similar to this? I enjoy how with much of Kon's work the media becomes so obsessed with its own metaphor that it becomes outright fantasy by its end.

You'd probably enjoy Yoshitoshi ABe's works, Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei and Tehxnolyze. As well as Ikuahara's stuff, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally read the Kurosawa pair...

Goddammit. I was NOT ready. :qq:
Thanks Cake and Ringo. Pain is a good master.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Any self respecting anime fan owes it to themselves to read Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa at some point, really.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Any self respecting anime fan owes it to themselves to read Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa at some point, really.

I had always overlooked it till a few hours ago. Just finished. I should have gone to bed hours ago....

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

tonberrytoby posted:

I had always overlooked it till a few hours ago. Just finished. I should have gone to bed hours ago....

Just started reading this now... :smith:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just finished watching Madoka Magica.

Are there any animes out that that wont seem worthlessly inadequate under the smothering shadow that masterpiece?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I'd say follow it up with "Paranoia Agent" and "Eureka Seven" if you haven't seen those yet. Also "Princess Tutu" if you want more girly stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Are there any animes out that that wont seem worthlessly inadequate under the smothering shadow that masterpiece?

You'd probably like Fate/Zero. Made by the same guy and everything.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Paranoia Agent, Eureka 7, and Haibane Renmei are three shows that I would rank as high or higher than Madoka (which is also one of my favorites). None of them are like Madoka in terms of plot or anything, just well fantastically well-crafted shows all around.

I didn't really love Fate/Zero, I thought it was alright, but it didn't blow me away, ymmv of course.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Does no one read the thread title?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

jonjonaug posted:

Seriously, just watch this.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend some stuff thats in the style of the anime sections in Kill Bill? I thought that was fairly well drawn and I liked the style. I also like the gunplay, gore and action of it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Reason posted:

Can anyone recommend some stuff thats in the style of the anime sections in Kill Bill? I thought that was fairly well drawn and I liked the style. I also like the gunplay, gore and action of it.

Not the same animation (that was production IG right?) but Black Lagoon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Robert Denby posted:

I'd say follow it up with "Paranoia Agent" and "Eureka Seven" if you haven't seen those yet. Also "Princess Tutu" if you want more girly stuff.

Eureka Seven is a bit of a slow burn. Overall though, it's outstanding.

Turn A Gundam, too, is up there as one of the best anime I've seen. Most of those aren't mecha shows. It's got such incredible class in every aspect, fantastic characters, OUTSTANDING music, Syd Mead(Blade Runner, Tron) designed the mechs, the setting is wonderful, it's just a really fantastic show. There was a simulwatch of it, I believe it was far and away the most popular Simulwatch, right?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I've got a different kind of request. What are some good short anime? I watched Yama no Susume and Inferno Cop from last season. Outside of those, though, I haven't seen any. I'm just a bit curious about what 3 minute anime are out there.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

unpronounceable posted:

I've got a different kind of request. What are some good short anime? I watched Yama no Susume and Inferno Cop from last season. Outside of those, though, I haven't seen any. I'm just a bit curious about what 3 minute anime are out there.

Nyanpire was pretty cute/funny. And I guess Chi's Sweet Home is also pretty good for shorts if you want something dumb and cute.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

nevermind! wrong thread

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

I'm holding out for now because it's so freaking long and I don't have that much time to budget.

Also, I'm a bit biased against the dated animations. Even among movies there are VERY few old-school movies I'm willing to watch, and most of them are Hitchcock, and in the same way I don't think I'd enjoy the animation as much as I would a more modern anime. That said, I will get to it eventually.

On another note, Time of Eve has just blown me away. I wish the show could have been longer so that it could flesh out the world a bit more and provide us with a bit of back story a major event that was only hinted at, but they manage to squeeze so much interesting content into 6 15-minute episodes that it astounds me. I went in believing it would be an overtly serious discussion about AI and the human consciousness, but all of that discussion was delivered in a very lighthearted manner with amusing moments that always took me by surprise. This is a fantastic show that always keeps you thinking about the discussion.

unpronounceable posted:

There are 2 spinoff animes of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya that are both fantastic short animes:

1)Suzumiya Haruhi-chan no Yuuutsu is a sort of South Park style parody of the show itself that's utterly hilarious on its own, but if you watch MHS beforehand everything becomes even more ironically hilarious. There are some plot spoilers so I highly suggest watching MHS beforehand. Each episode is about 5 minutes long.

2)Nyoron Churaya-san is only based on MHS because it has the same characters in terms of their name and how they look, but pretty much nothing else has to do with MHS at all. It's done in a 4-panel style and each episode is only 2 minutes long.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 29, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
e: That took way to long for me to realize i double posted.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 29, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ViggyNash posted:

I'm holding out for now because it's so freaking long and I don't have that much time to budget.

Also, I'm a bit biased against the dated animations. Even among movies there are VERY few old-school movies I'm willing to watch, and most of them are Hitchcock, and in the same way I don't think I'd enjoy the animation as much as I would a more modern anime. That said, I will get to it eventually.

The animations in LotGH are occasionally variable in quality, but they usually maintain a high standard. I think in the old thread I moaned about how the spinoff series, which are made using modern (well, 90s) graphics are absolute guff compared to the originals. The artstyle and character designs make up for any shortcomings in the animations in the original series, in my opinion.

ViggyNash posted:

On another note, Time of Eve has just blown me away. I wish the show could have been longer so that it could flesh out the world a bit more and provide us with a bit of back story a major event that was only hinted at, but they manage to squeeze so much interesting content into 6 15-minute episodes that it astounds me. I went in believing it would be an overtly serious discussion about AI and the human consciousness, but all of that discussion was delivered in a very lighthearted manner with amusing moments that always took me by surprise. This is a fantastic show that always keeps you thinking about the discussion.
:allears:

It's the only anime I've bothered rewatching just so I could show it to other people.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

unpronounceable posted:

The absolute best short anime is the Humanity has Declined DVD Specials. Doesn't even really need you to have watched the main series.
With this you will have watched the three best mini anime ever.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Eureka Seven is a bit of a slow burn. Overall though, it's outstanding.

Are you sure it gets better? I watched the first 3 episodes and so far nothing about it has impressed me, or interested me, at all. The animation and art are far lower in quality than anything I've watched so far and the writing and dialogue is either cliche, silly, or just shallow and wanting.

At what point does the production quality improve? I don't know if I could slog through any more terrible episodes if it doesn't improve soon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When we picked our favorite series for 2000-2009, I put Eureka seveN as my fourth favorite. It's pretty great. Some of it is "you had to be there" following along as each release slowly came out, but I think it has one of the biggest hearts for lack of a better word I've seen in an anime story. The main couple is very adorable and there's some really great character moments scattered throughout for everyone else. Great soundtrack as well. There are some growing pains in the first half, but it picks up a lot of steam towards the halfway point and just explodes in the last 10 or so episodes. This is not to say the earlier episodes are bad though.

E7 is hardly features the best animation I've ever seen but I would not say that it holds it back either. I mostly just remember the occasional character model being off (Eureka suddenly getting shorter), and the third OP being a travesty.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'd like to know what the gently caress shows you've been watching if you think bones is cheaping out on the animation. They are one of the most consistently quality studios around.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I'd like to know what the gently caress shows you've been watching if you think bones is cheaping out on the animation. They are one of the most consistently quality studios around.

Like I posted above, I've just come off of Madoka Magica and Time of Eve, and before that MHS and Steins;Gate. All of those had fantastic animation and art, but the lack of budget in Madoka Magica was pretty apparent sometimes. By comparison Eureka Seven looks like kids stuff.

I'm going to slog through Eureka Seven in my spare time in the hope that it does pick up later on as you guys have said.

e: Also, GiTS:SAC. It didn't have the most fantastic animations, but they were still better than what I've seen of E7 so far.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 29, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Eureka Seven is really good and if you don't like it I'm gonna be mad as heck.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's important to keep episode count in mind. Madoka is 12 episodes, while Eureka 7 is about four times as long and did not take any breaks while airing. It's a lot easier to refine the animation of a show when the episode count is small. It's the price you gotta pay to tell a longer story in anime; even the very best ones tend to have a habit of looking good most of the time with the occasional great episode.

Not to mention that a lot of animation errors in Madoka were fixed up for the blu-ray release. I'm not sure if they did any major changes like that to the E7 dvds (probably not, since E7 aired before that became a common practice).

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 29, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ViggyNash posted:

but the lack of budget in Madoka Magica was pretty apparent sometimes.

Did you watch the broadcast version? A lot of that is cleaned up in the Blu-Ray release.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

E7 was pretty slow the first few episodes, until the Gekkostate get involved. If you don't like it after that point then it's probably not something you'll enjoy. v:shobon:v

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Please get to Norb before you decide. Please.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

E7 was pretty slow the first few episodes, until the Gekkostate get involved. If you don't like it after that point then it's probably not something you'll enjoy. v:shobon:v

I just finished ep 4 and 5, and its definitely a lot better. It's at least enjoyable to watch now, even if it hasn't yet lived up to everyone's monumental praise yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Most folks aren't heaping monumental praise on it, though. At least, in my case it's an exceptionally good show, but not the best show I've ever seen. As a whole though, it's definitely up there. Also, most of the characters are FANTASTIC.

muike posted:

Please get to Norb before you decide. Please.
Norb is really great.

quote:

Despite his occupation as a priest, Norb smokes, eats unhealthy junk food (such as pizza and chips), and barely reflects any religious point of view even when asked to do so.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ViggyNash posted:

I just finished ep 4 and 5, and its definitely a lot better. It's at least enjoyable to watch now, even if it hasn't yet lived up to everyone's monumental praise yet.

It took me till like episode 10 to "get" Eureka Seven, you should be fine. :v:

Also it doesn't look like anyone recommended Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is probably the single most relevant answer to "what is as good as Madoka?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It took me till like episode 10 to "get" Eureka Seven, you should be fine. :v:

Also it doesn't look like anyone recommended Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is probably the single most relevant answer to "what is as good as Madoka?"

Well, I still have no idea what the plot is supposed to be or where the series is going, but at least I'm getting a feel for the various characters and a sense of the setting. Its getting there, albeit at its own awkward pace.

The first here episodes are still terrible, but at least the show starts to make up for it later.

• Locked thread