Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Blimpkin posted:

I have been a foster for a kitty with terminal cancer for the past few days, and will be indefinitely, I love her. She is my first cat though, and while I like to think of myself as very aware of the nuances of cat ownership and cat relationships I've come across something, which just happened, which I just am seeking some advice on....

First of all this cat is extremely agreeable, always friendly, and fairly clingy. She's always at my side or near me. But sometimes, I'll be scratching behind her ears or what have you, and she will bat me and hiss. her bats are typically without claws, and her hiss is short-lived with near/no hair raising or any indication of discomfort beyond just what I interpret as a "YO TOO MUCH BRO," am I right in assuming that letting her alone after one of those, to which she will usually just jump into my lap and head butt the hand she slapped, as the proper action? That it's her way of saying "A little too much stimulation."?

Note: She only has batted me with claws out once and I yelped, and she came right over and "apologized" by licking the arm she batted. I'm very aware this cat "loves" me, and I just want to be sure that with this behavior I am also behaving properly.

You are correct. You can try look out for signs she's getting overstimulated before she swats you, like the tip of her tail twitching a lot, or ears starting to go out to the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Drink and Fight posted:

You are correct. You can try look out for signs she's getting overstimulated before she swats you, like the tip of her tail twitching a lot, or ears starting to go out to the side.

Ok awesome. :D. Here she is on the second morning in my home.

Maetel
Jul 24, 2003
Hi, I'm wondering if someone could help me out with a situation. I'm completely stumped on what to do.

My cat, Zug Zug, gets extremely anxious and agitated at night. And, I mean the middle of the night. I stick both of my cats in a room for bedtime. They have plenty of room, their own litter boxes, etc. However, he will paw at the door and cause so much ruckus, that it wakes me and my husband up. We've tried just about everything under the sun and I'm scared that we're almost to the point where we might need to get rid of him. We've tried the following:

- Letting him out at night (can't do this because he wakes us up)
- Feliway (and other variants)
- Putting him in his own section of the room, away from the door (he still manages to make a banging sound somehow)
- Giving him his own room
- Having a sensor air blast by the door
- Blocking off the door (he somehow finds a way around this)
- Valium (per the advice of a vet)

He's calm and content during the day, but I don't know what to do about his nighttime behavior any more. I do have another cat as well and, while they don't like each other, they don't bother each other at night. I'm thinking that he REALLY doesn't like to be in enclosed spaces. Some more information:

He is a male, neutered cat.
He is about 13-15 years old.
He's strictly indoors, since his previous owners had him declawed.
The last time he saw a vet was about a month ago.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
It sounds like typical LET ME OUT I AM BORED I AM A CAT AND ACTIVE AT NIGHT AND I AM IN A ROOM AND I WOULD LIKE TO BE IN YOUR FACE BANGING MY NOISY rear end TOYS ON YOUR BED AT 3AM LOL.

If I lock my cats out of my room at night, they take turns shrieking and jamming their paws under the door to shred the wood. Once they actually get into our room they're quite happy to sleep at the foot of the bed or in their boudoir (read: curtained off cushioned table by the window). I am assuming that you've not given in to the cat melodrama because there's a specific reason you don't want them in your room beyond "dang cats make too much racket".

The only thing I haven't seen on your list is the vacuum cleaner trick. Put a vacuum right by his door, run an extension cable (or normal cable whatever) into your bedroom where it's within easy reach, and when he acts up, turn the vacuum cleaner on. VRRRRRR. Rinse and repeat until he hopefully stays away from the door because it makes A Bad Noise.

Just realised it hasn't been picture time for a while. Picture time!

My little kitten has grown a big-boy mane

And lastly this is what I come home to every single day. Window cats keep a vigil, even if I'm late home. 5pm? Cats will be there. 9pm? Cats will be there.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 29, 2013

Maetel
Jul 24, 2003

Tamarillo posted:

The only thing I haven't seen on your list is the vacuum cleaner trick. Put a vacuum right by his door, run an extension cable (or normal cable whatever) into your bedroom where it's within easy reach, and when he acts up, turn the vacuum cleaner on. VRRRRRR. Rinse and repeat until he hopefully stays away from the door because it makes A Bad Noise.

Although I LOVE the sound of this trick, it wouldn't work just because of where the cat's room is in relation to our bedroom. I do wonder if putting the vacuum by his area would work though. He hates the thing. Then again, it might stress him out even more. Oi.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I advise wearing him out like you've never wore him out before. My kitten is a dumb rear end who does the same thing, and usually it's solved by letting him in the room to do a lap, see we are boring, and letting him back out. However, I hate doing that so I will make him run up and down the stairs over and over and over chasing da bird until he melts into a panting puddle of exhausted on the floor. His energy reserves are insane, so it takes about a half hour to 45 minutes to tucker him out. For a 13-15 year old cat, you might hit enough stimulation and exertion in 15-20 minutes.

I haven't tried this but I've seen it recommended, try letting them have run of the house at night and put an under the chair floor mat, the kind with the nubbins, in front of your door. They're not a fan and it will keep them from doing the paw snatch and bang under it while limiting their boredom from being in a room all night.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Blimpkin posted:

e: and since I can ask the SA community any thing at any time...When I got her, she had just gotten sutures out for a lumpectomy and had her entire right mmamary chain removed. I've noticed she has one lone stich remaining which sticks out of her belly. Clearly I'm a new cat owner and don't want to just yank this thing out...she'll be going in for a doctors checkup soon, and I figured either to let it get pushed out naturally or the doctor will do what I won't. Also the right action?

Don't pull this out. If she had the skin sutures removed it's likely that it is a part of one of the lines of suture that are underneath the skin and these are not supposed to be removed.

Make sure the vet notices it the next time you go in though. They may want to stick some skin glue over it if it's a part of the line under the skin, or they may take it out if it is just a piece of the old skin sutures.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 29, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Maetel posted:

Although I LOVE the sound of this trick, it wouldn't work just because of where the cat's room is in relation to our bedroom. I do wonder if putting the vacuum by his area would work though. He hates the thing. Then again, it might stress him out even more. Oi.

Please stop locking your cat up at night. Play with him lots during the way and especially before bed. Get a ScatMat (google it) for in front of your bedroom door to keep him from scratching. Consider getting another young cat to be a playmate so he'll be more tired out & less nuts. If you do not have a cat tree or other vertical space for him, get some of that. You can't force a cat to be diurnal like a person.I didn't read the post ignore this

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 29, 2013

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Blimpkin posted:

First of all this cat is extremely agreeable, always friendly, and fairly clingy. She's always at my side or near me. But sometimes, I'll be scratching behind her ears or what have you, and she will bat me and hiss. her bats are typically without claws, and her hiss is short-lived with near/no hair raising or any indication of discomfort beyond just what I interpret as a "YO TOO MUCH BRO," am I right in assuming that letting her alone after one of those, to which she will usually just jump into my lap and head butt the hand she slapped, as the proper action? That it's her way of saying "A little too much stimulation."?

Probably. She also might be giving other signals you're not catching as she amps up. Watch her tail as you pet her - if there is a lot of movement or it stops being fluid and goes in spurts, back off on the petting.

Maetel posted:

He is a male, neutered cat.
He is about 13-15 years old.
He's strictly indoors, since his previous owners had him declawed.
The last time he saw a vet was about a month ago.

I'm going to disagree with the masses and suggest this is age-related, if it's just developed as he's aged. I've had one cat at around 13 start pacing the house and howling in the bathroom at night. My friends' cat started restless pacing and howling at night at age 18 (she lived to 21).

I suspect aversives (like the sscat, or vacuum, or upside-down office mat trick) may be increasing his anxiety if he's actually in some sort of early stage of senility.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 29, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Maetel posted:

Engineer Lenk posted:

I'm going to disagree with the masses and suggest this is age-related, if it's just developed as he's aged. I've had one cat at around 13 start pacing the house and howling in the bathroom at night. My friends' cat started restless pacing and howling at night at age 18 (she lived to 21).

I suspect aversives (like the sscat, or vacuum, or upside-down office mat trick) may be increasing his anxiety if he's actually in some sort of early stage of senility.

Oh geez from the behavior I assumed it was a young cat, like 1 year or so. Forget my advice then. I didn't read good :saddowns: My only excuse is that I'm rather spacy at the moment due to a cold. I'm sorry :shobon:

New advice, having read it properly: Have you tried putting talk radio on low for him? Sometimes it helps if cats are lonely. Adding some vertical space to the room with shelves or a cat tree might also help him feel more comfortable. Another thing to do would be give him a pile of your dirty clothes so he can smell you guys. Or try a heating pad designed for pets so he has somewhere amazing to sleep. Or an auto feeder with a small amount of food in it set to come out sometime in the middle of the night in case they get snacky. Any combination of these things might help.

Is he playful during the day? If so, maybe something like a puzzle box or some soft catnippy toys for him to occupy himself with.

Some other toys that encourage solo play:
http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-SlimCat-Food-Distributor-Ball/dp/B0018CG40O/
http://www.amazon.com/Catit-Design-Senses-Treat-Maze/dp/B004G9L1H2/
http://www.amazon.com/Stimulo-Feeding-Station-Activity-Center/dp/B004EG21FS/
http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Wobbler-Treat-Dispensing-Purple/dp/B004VBC0NE/
http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Premier-Products-FUNKitty-Egg-cersizer/dp/B003H44R5K/
(there are loads of these things as you'll see)

One of my childhood cats went a bit senile and deaf as he got older and he would sit and howl until you called his name loudly or came and took him to where you were. They get scared.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 29, 2013

Maetel
Jul 24, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

New advice, having read it properly: Have you tried putting talk radio on low for him? Sometimes it helps if cats are lonely. Adding some vertical space to the room with shelves or a cat tree might also help him feel more comfortable. Another thing to do would be give him a pile of your dirty clothes so he can smell you guys. Or try a heating pad designed for pets so he has somewhere amazing to sleep. Or an auto feeder with a small amount of food in it set to come out sometime in the middle of the night in case they get snacky. Any combination of these things might help.

Is he playful during the day? If so, maybe something like a puzzle box or some soft catnippy toys for him to occupy himself with.

He isn't really playful, and never has been. We've tried to play with him, but he doesn't seem that interested. We've tried multiple kinds of toys as well. I'll try putting a small cat perch in his sleeping area and see if that helps. I'll try the radio as well.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Eggplant Wizard posted:

One of my childhood cats went a bit senile and deaf as he got older and he would sit and howl until you called his name loudly or came and took him to where you were. They get scared.

This briefly crossed my mind as well. He did have a full blood panel done when I took him to the vet and it came up clean...although I don't know if something like that would show up on a blood panel.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

more like dICK posted:

My cat has been sneezing occasionally this afternoon, maybe once an hour or 90 minutes. She did do a road trip this weekend and met some new people. Is this a "take her to the vet immediately" situation, or a "wait and see if she's ok tomorrow" situation?

So I talked to the vet, and she thinks that it's herpes. The cat has been sniffling a bit, sneezing a bit, more vocal than usual, and less energetic. She's still eating, drinking, and peeing/pooping just fine.

The vet gave us some Lysine chews that are supposed to help alleviate this, and scheduled a follow up in a couple days to see how she's doing.

Please get better cat :(

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Yesterday morning, we discovered blood in the urine from one of our cats (Galileo, 10 years old male), and he has been quite vocal for some time - more than usual, it also seemed that he had trouble urinating, and when he finally went, only a few drops came out :(

So of course off to the vet we went.

The vet felt his bladder, and told me, that he didn't have an extended (or full) bladder, but that the wall of the bladder was thicker than usual. He said that this could be due irritation. He then gave him a shot of painkiller and some antibiotics, and told us get a urine sample - no the easiest task with 3 other cats in the house, but we did manage to get one during the night, and it was quite pink :(

He have had this problem before, and it was a urinary tract infection - he got a poo poo of painkiller, had a catheder put in, was kept overnight until he peed by himself, got some antibiotics and was sent home, he was back to his old self after 2 days.

When he came home, he didn't howl anymore - was back to usual self, and didn't run back and forth to the cat loos, of course he still had problems urinating more than a few drops, but the amouth of pee got bigger as time went by.

My wife will later today, go by the wet and drop of the urine sample, and then we'll just have to wait what the vet says. Hopefully it isn't crystals in the urine tract, but "only" an infection.

The vet also gave us some Amoxil to give 1 time (6 ml) a day for 5 days.

It's just so bloody frustrating not being able to do anything more for the cat - it breaks my heart!

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 30, 2013

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!
So my boyfriend and I have broken up and I'm in the process of finding a new place to live. He will be keeping our dog (they're bros) and I will be taking our two cats. Both are neutered declawed (there were that way when I adopted them) males: Elmer is a little over 3 years old and Jinx is almost 5 years old. Both are former shelter kitties, both were adopted around a year/year and a half of age by me. Elmer is pretty chill, he's never met an animal or person he didn't like...except spiders. He often acts more like a dog than a cat. He was actually picked up by animal control, in the company of multiple dogs. We call him our puppycat. I'm not too worried about him and the move. As long as he's allowed to be my shadow, all is well in his world. Jinx, however, is neurotic. Everything scares him. Bugs, noises, calling "Kitty Kitty" too loud, pouring food in his bowl too quickly, the toilet flushing etc etc. He loathes the dog and seems terrified of him, even after a year. That was yet another reason I'm taking the cats:poor Jinxy is miserable with a dog in the house. Is there anything I can do to make the move as non-stressful as possible for Jinx? I am hoping getting him in a quieter dog-free home with his buddy Elmer will be a step in the right direction.

A picture of my boys enjoying the enclosed porch and warm weather..just because.

Absolute Evil fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 30, 2013

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Thanks for the advice everyone, and in fact, that suture is now gone, so, it's out of my hands now.

I am having a small issue with her using the litter box as intended. I was given by the ASPCA these cardboard trays for her to use, and she has no problem with the bottom half of the larger box I've purchased, but when I put the cover on, which uses a cat door for her to get in and out, I'm not sure she has understood that when the cover is on, it's still hers and available.

Last night I left the top off the box and she used it with no issue. If I put the top back on, I'm fairly certain she will have an accident or just hold it.

What methods exist, if any, for teaching a cat that this box still works with a top on.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
For the cat side of the relationship, would getting a puppy and kitten at the same time serve the same purpose as getting two cats as suggested in the FAQ? My wife and I are looking to get our first pets as a couple now that we own our own property, and we were originally thinking of getting a puppy/kitten combo (as she's more of a dog person, and I'm more of a cat person.) However, if necessary we could probably swing two cats and a dog.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

For the cat side of the relationship, would getting a puppy and kitten at the same time serve the same purpose as getting two cats as suggested in the FAQ? My wife and I are looking to get our first pets as a couple now that we own our own property, and we were originally thinking of getting a puppy/kitten combo (as she's more of a dog person, and I'm more of a cat person.) However, if necessary we could probably swing two cats and a dog.
Basically no. The biggest benefit of getting two kittens is that they entertain each other, particularly when you're at work or asleep and would otherwise be destroying your poo poo or keeping you awake. You're not going to leave a puppy loose with a kitten while you're gone or sleeping (I hope).

Getting three baby animals at the same time is a crazy idea for a million reasons (which should be obvious if you read this and the puppy thread). What's the rush?

I would personally get the puppy first because puppies are a crazy amount of work and will make you want to die for a while. When you stop wanting to die, it would be easy to add a kitten or two. If you're worried about them not growing up together, most youngish dogs will learn to interact appropriately with kittens pretty fast. I'd much rather introduce kittens to an adult dog that has some impulse control and basic obedience already than introduce a crazy puppy to an adult cat.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Crooked Booty posted:

Getting three baby animals at the same time is a crazy idea for a million reasons (which should be obvious if you read this and the puppy thread). What's the rush?

No rush. We're basically just in the spit-ballin' ideas phase of the conversation, and I remembered the advice about getting two cats instead of one so thought I'd ask. Neither of us have ever owned young dogs and cats at the same time, so I wasn't sure if it was a hilariously bad idea or not.

Your advice about getting the dog first and then introducing the cat(s) later on when the dog is a bit older and settled down is pretty good, though, so thanks for that!

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
My kitten is about ten months old, and we've had him since August. He's fluffy, adorable, and fueled entirely by snuggles. He's been fixed since about September or so, he's an indoor-only cat, and he still has all his claws. He's one of four cats in the house, if that matters.

He also really likes to nest. (Or knead, whatever the common phrasing is?) It's a daily ritual at this point; when I wake up, he comes and snuggles with me and nests and falls asleep. He'll also come find me midday or late at night and curl up with me and nest. It's adorable, and I feel so loved.

The problem is, he always nests on skin. Always. It's usually my upper arm or the top of my boob if I'm wearing something cleavagey, but occasionally it's a random spot on my leg. He goes deep enough that he draws blood when he nests, so I can only stand so much before I need to nudge him to a different spot. Especially since he likes to pick the same spots over and over, and sometimes they're still raw from the previous session.

If I tug my sleeve to put a layer of fabric between him and my skin, he won't nest through the shirt or move to a different spot -- he'll become agitated and burrow under the sleeve until he finds the skin he was just nesting at.

If I cover his paws with my hand, he burrows his head under my hand until he can get his paws free, and goes back to nesting.

If I make him stop, he again gets agitated, and then scampers off.

I really don't want him thinking that it's not okay to come seek me out for comfort/snuggle time. And I'd be okay with the nesting if it was light / not so deep or even if it was painful but over quickly, but sometimes he'll pick a spot and not stop for twenty minutes, and I have blood oozing from my arm.

I guess what I'm asking isn't "how do I make him stop nesting" -- it's a comfort thing, and we took him away from his momma and other kittens and I get that. It's more, how do I get him not to go so deep, or convince him to nest on the blanket I'm under and not my skin, or ... I don't even know. Advice?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Turns out, my 4-year-old cuddly kitty is an absolute rear end in a top hat who thinks it's funny to hide for four days and just pop up in our neighbor's backyard the day after I slept on my deck hoping if she was anywhere in the area she'd come to me. But she's home now, in our arms, and I couldn't be happier.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 1, 2013

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Slackerbitch - clip his claws. One of mine does this to me (and tries to suck on my face, neck and earlobes at the same time which is an utterly foul but seemingly unbreakable habit) and I clip his claws to stop it hurting. Now it just feels like a tiny weird little massage from someone wearing mittens. You can find a proper pair of cat claw clippers at most pet stores, don't try using people-clippers.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tamarillo posted:

One of mine does this to me (and tries to suck on my face, neck and earlobes at the same time which is an utterly foul but seemingly unbreakable habit)

Isn't it just. I have a 13 year old neutered tom and I've been trying to get him to stop nibbling/licking me all the time I've had him. Worst is waking up with a patch of my head soaking wet and my contented lad wrapped round on my pillow 'washing' me. :barf: I *know* where that tongue has been...

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Haha, this kneading thing is something my cat does too, but with a particularly fluffy synthetic jumper. It's almost as if it's so fluffy that it makes her brain go wrong; she'll knead and drool herself into oblivion if left undisturbed.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I consider it a sign of love :3: I'm sure it'd be annoying if it happened more often, but I've had kneady cats and it's nice. Toby and Luna only knead on specific things. They have a teddy bear for this purpose. Luna nuzzles it as well it's so cute oh god

Toby seems to be more sexual about it :gonk:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I'm glad she came back, Atoramos. :unsmith:

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Toby seems to be more sexual about it :gonk:
Yeah uh my one-year-old neutered cat only kneads when he finds a soft blanket he wants to hump, especially fleece. He was already neutered by 6 months, when I adopted him, so I have no idea where this came from. :confused: I guess now I just can't leave those blankets out unattended...

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
I've always called it treading but kneading also works. Willow doesn't knead much, she more just whacks things with her paw, but there's a wool blanket she sleeps on that must be re-treaded for hours every time idiot human moves it :catstare:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
The foster kitty I have now kneads, but she's aware that it can hurt me and if I recoil she will either let her arms dangle so they don't knead on me, or she folds them so she can't knead me. :3:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I've always called it "happy feet". You can use it as an adjective and say your cat is "happy feeting". Happy foots, happy footsing and happy feetsies are ok, too but only if you are comfortable doing so. Your cat won't care because they will be too busy happy footsiesying. And puzzing. Spell checking doesn't care too much for this post.

-Happy Feet!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Ratzap posted:

Isn't it just. I have a 13 year old neutered tom and I've been trying to get him to stop nibbling/licking me all the time I've had him. Worst is waking up with a patch of my head soaking wet and my contented lad wrapped round on my pillow 'washing' me. :barf: I *know* where that tongue has been...

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is gross. Hugo doesn't just lick, he actually latches on and literally tries to nurse. Earlobes are apparently the best location for this and I wake up to him latching onto my earlobe and going SLURPSLURPSLURP right down my ear, and often if I move away he'll lunge and bite to stop me moving. Such a dick. I looked it up online after he hadn't stopped doing it by 6 months and there's a weird community of people who think it is beautiful that their furbaby has designated them as furmother which was almost as nauseating as the act itself. I HATE it...I've tried everything to dissuade him and nothing works, so he gets thrown across the room in the middle of the night when he does it or smacked in the face repeatedly until he gets the hint.

It's only me too :( my husband smells/tastes wrong apparently - when we're in bed he sometimes goes up and starts to lick him and then kind of goes "bleh!" and backs off and comes and finds me. I don't WANT to be the mothership damnit.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 1, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Atoramos posted:

Turns out, my 4-year-old cuddly kitty is an absolute rear end in a top hat who thinks it's funny to hide for four days and just pop up in our neighbor's backyard the day after I slept on my deck hoping if she was anywhere in the area she'd come to me. But she's home now, in our arms, and I couldn't be happier.

Oh thank goodness. I read your big post about her and I was worried for you. Cats are jerks :mad:

Stroop There It Is posted:

Yeah uh my one-year-old neutered cat only kneads when he finds a soft blanket he wants to hump, especially fleece. He was already neutered by 6 months, when I adopted him, so I have no idea where this came from. :confused: I guess now I just can't leave those blankets out unattended...

Toby's always been a kneader. He first lived with my mom and her adult male cat Marten who is like .5x Toby's size, and he liked to knead Marten's belly :3: Marten was not amused. Then once he came to live with me, he lived with a succession of other cats- two female and clearly dominant to him, one male adult, then another dominant female, then Luna and a male kitten I was fostering at the same time. Luna is the only one he has ever pursued with clear sexual intent. Possibly it's just because she's smaller than him but it's weird. She's spayed, yes. I also fostered another brother/sister kitten pair and he never bothered that female kitten :iiam:

Gross.

In other news, another term for kneading is "making biscuits" or "making bread" :kimchi:

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
Tamarillo: thanks for the suggestion! We trimmed his nails once and he haaated it, but it DID help with the nesting, so we'll have to start doing that more often.

Also, just to clarify: he's not just pressing against my arm and incidentally breaking the skin; he's actually sinking his claws through my arm and then flexing them, over and over again, which hurts like a bitch. He does this a few times a day, so I have little bloody pinpricks all over my arm and the skin is kinda raw.

That's the only reason I want him to ease off; it's so amazing and I feel so loved and oh, my fluffy kitten :3: :3: :3: It's the best way to wake up ever, just to hear him come squeaking into the room, and then he hops up and snuggles with me. He is entirely fueled by cuddles. It's unreal.

He doesn't try to nurse, but he licks like I taste like candy or something. I woke up once to him licking my eyelid and chirping. Kittens rock.

Lastly: since it's probably okay to spam kitty pics in PI: this is Bastian, also known as Squeakytoy, who is the softest, fuzziest cat in the known universe:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Today we had a cat come into work that fell out of a 6th story window and it got me worried even more about Ollie. We live on the 2nd floor and we're opening the windows more now that it's warmer. On top of it our screens are lovely and our windows are really old. We only leave it open a crack when we're not supervising Ollie, but once it gets into the summer months we'll have to open them more as we don't have A/C.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to make windows safer for cats? Is there a way to reinforce them?

Also, one of my cats, Bonus, would knead on stuffed toys I had over the years. He fell in love with a squeaky dog toy many years ago and would knead on it for hours, except every time he squished it it would let out a sound similar to a wheezing duck. He made biscuits on it so much that it ended up flat as a pancake. Same with a stuffed sheepdog I had - he'd knead it into a pancake shape and then sleep on it.

I've also heard kneading being called, "making cookies", "making bread", and my favorite, "a muffin factory"

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Would something like this work? http://www.amazon.com/Thermwell-Prods-AWS1837-Adjustable-Screen/dp/B001AQ0BF2/ref=pd_sim_hi_2 You already have screens, but maybe something like this could be like an extra reinforcement?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Huntersoninski posted:

Would something like this work? http://www.amazon.com/Thermwell-Prods-AWS1837-Adjustable-Screen/dp/B001AQ0BF2/ref=pd_sim_hi_2 You already have screens, but maybe something like this could be like an extra reinforcement?

It seems like that's a common way to reinforce screens for pets. I rent so I can't do any major adjustments.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

gender illusionist posted:

Haha, this kneading thing is something my cat does too, but with a particularly fluffy synthetic jumper. It's almost as if it's so fluffy that it makes her brain go wrong; she'll knead and drool herself into oblivion if left undisturbed.

I've lost 2 jumpers due to this habit - one of my cats has been doing this all his life.

But oh well, as long as he's happy :3:

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Shnooks posted:

It seems like that's a common way to reinforce screens for pets. I rent so I can't do any major adjustments.

In our previous rental flat we used the screens from here: http://www.cataire.co.uk/ it was velcroed to the window frame, so didn't require any major adjustments.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

slackerbitch posted:

He doesn't try to nurse, but he licks like I taste like candy or something. I woke up once to him licking my eyelid and chirping. Kittens rock.

Elmer bathes me on a regular basis. He sits on the back/top of my computer chair and will bat me on the head with his paw until I offer up one of my hands for him to groom. He will lick my hand/wrist for hours if I let him, but that poo poo hurts after a few minutes. He doesn't do it to anyone else, he actually acts offended if someone else tries.

If I'm sleeping, he likes to groom my hair. That wouldn't bother me except I now have several chunks that are much shorter than the others and stick up. My cat ate my hair. Thank god for hairspray to keep them down.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bit of a weird situation this one. This may turn into something of a rant.

Me and my g/f have a cat named Dustbunny. Now, the owners of Dustbunnys parents are moving back up to our neck of the woods for the summer before they start University. They kindly asked us if we would take in the 2 parents cat, hereafter reffered to as Roxy and Rover, for the next few months. We agreed given they have done favours for us in the past and if we don't they really have no where else to stay. The mother of the girl is elderly and unable to take care of pets and the mother/father of the guy own birds of prey so that's out.

For background context, all 3 cats lived with one another for approx 6 months when Dustbunny was born 3 years ago without problems. I was told Rover was laid back and care free although Roxy had a habit of using clothes as litter tray's if her own box was not spotless. They came up last night, and at first all 3 cats were a little cautious of each other although none seemed distressed or upset.

About an hour after the owners went home, poo poo kicked off. There was a massive brawl between all 3 cats, Dustbunny was constantly growling or hissing at Roxy and Rover and Rover (the father) scratched my g/f's heel and arm and bit her when she tried to calm him down. Dustbunny got petrified and ended up staying under our bed all night, rather than sleeping on top of us as normal. The owners came and took Rover away at half 1 in the morning to the Birds of Prey house where, as far as I know, he is being kept in a locked room.

Rover and Dustbunny were being very aggressive to each other, hissing and growling at one another. Dustbunny is neutered, Rover is not and the main fight seemed to be between these 2. Roxy did lash out at Rover when all 3 had calmed down. I'm not overly sure who the aggressor was as it all kicked off pretty quickly. Was pretty much 3 furballs flying up my stairs and back down again.

Roxy stayed downstairs overnight, and used her litter tray, ate her cat-meat and seemed fine. Dustbunny refused to come from under the bed until I picked him up and gave him some cat-meat and a pet to make sure he was ok. I introdocued Dustbunny into the same room as Roxy to see what the result would be. Dustbunny hissed, snarled and growled at Roxy who just stood and took it for a while before dashing off and hiding in her litter tray.

Basically, I'm wondering if this all sounds normal. I think keeping all 3 cats is out of the question. I don't care if it's only a few days of this tension and then months of them being a happy family. I'm not having my g/f or myself attacked and I'm not dealing with cat-fights. Does the aggression from my cat seem normal, even for a "long lost relative". I really have zero experience with multiple cats and DB was my first actual pet so I'm really pretty inexperienced here. I expected some kind of territorial aggression or whatever but I'm not prepared to wait weeks and weeks for things to settle.

Any advice goons?

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

On the first page it talks about cat introductions:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post363159426

quote:

When you bring a new cat into your household, both it and your other cats will probably be upset. You would be too if someone thrust a roommate on you. You can minimize the stress by making the introduction gradually.

Stage 0: Acceptance of terms
There will be lots of hissing. This does not mean you are doomed.

Stage 1: Seclusion
Keep the new cat separate from the other cat(s). Make sure it has all the necessities- food, water, litter, attention. Choose somewhere you can hang out with new cat and get to know it, but not your other cat's favorite hangout, either. The cats will all know the others are there, but this stage allows them to get comfortable with there being other scents around. Try switching out each cat's bedding so they can sniff at it. You might also try giving them their meals on either side of a closed door, so they associate food with the new cat's smell. You can switch the cats out to explore each other's areas and get used to scents & places that way, too.

This stage can last a couple of hours to a week or so. You will have to use your judgment on when to advance. If both cats seem comfortable and curious, rather than totally anxious, continue on.

Stage 2: Supervised introductions
Pretty much what it says. Let the cats meet. There will almost certainly be hissing and maybe even some swatting. It's okay to laugh when their tails puff up. You can let these introductions last as long as you like, depending on how the cats interact. The rule of thumb is not to separate them unless (a) you can't be present to supervise anymore or (b) violence erupts.

Violence is not swatting and hissing and puffing up, or even growling and yowling, necessarily. If blood is drawn or the yowls seem to indicate pain rather than aggression, then it's absolutely time to separate them and return to stage 1 for a while.

This stage might last as little as one or two meetings, or it could go on for weeks. If it drags beyond a week please ask and see if we can make some suggestions to make things go more smoothly.

Stage 3: Kitten piles
As the introductions go better and last longer without incident, you will feel comfortable leaving the cats alone, and from there they'll probably soon reach a level of toleration, if not immediate kitten piles. Kitten piles may never happen, honestly, and that's not your fault. If they do, great!

Basically cat introductions are all about smell, and it's not violence unless blood is drawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
Did you just throw them all together like they were going to remember each other and be bffs? Seperate them.