Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Half of me loves laughing at the parade of delusion that surrounds this box of bad ideas. But the other half of me wants to see the thing finally sputter out and die, just so I can then laugh at the postmortem that comes out about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Bloody hell. Just when you're thinking this can't get any more ridiculous...that AMA, the replies, then the latest chart claiming today is the 6th May.... She's loving lost it. And people are still defending it!

That's how I felt when I woke up not long ago and checked the AMA. I probably shouldn't have been surprised that she'd dodge any meaningful questions at this point but sometimes you just never know how you'll react to something. Hundreds of questions and she responded to 26, all with pretty much the same "EVERYTHING IS GREAT!"

I wonder what the bigger legal problem will be for them. Retailers asking where the gently caress their promised units are come "launch" day or the whole emulator/ROM thing. I think a class action suit from backers has a good chance of happening too.

luncheon meat fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 4, 2013

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

XboxPants posted:

It does come off that way, but he does have a valid point. Like it or not, fair or not, ya gotta frame questions in a certain way or they're just not likely to be answered. Aggressive questioning doesn't really achieve anything but making the person asking feel good.
Ladies and gentlemen, the fourth estate.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
So, I went looking for why it was called OUYA:

quote:

So Yves took the idea of openness to heart, and the O in OUYA stands for Openness, the U is for Universal, because it’s built on the Android language, it’s available for everyone, we really removed all the barriers as it relates to creation, and then the YA just sounded good and completed it.

"the Android language?"

BEEP BOOP HELLO I AM ANDROID I SPEAK ANDROID LANGUAGE BOOP

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, I went looking for why it was called OUYA:

"the Android language?"

BEEP BOOP HELLO I AM ANDROID I SPEAK ANDROID LANGUAGE BOOP

Maybe we've had it all wrong this whole time. The charts show everything but are written in Android.

Mr Android please translate the charts and tell us how many units have shipped.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Maybe we've had it all wrong this whole time. The charts show everything but are written in Android.

I don't really feel like it, actually.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

I asked for you, answer as follows.

Seems pretty clear to me.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't really feel like it, actually.

I think rimmer would be a better fit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

theultimo posted:

I think rimmer would be a better fit.

Or Kryten. But something about Holly's passive laziness makes it kinda work. I think.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You guys, we misunderstood the graph. They are literally ahead of schedule. Julie is communicating with us from THE FUTURE :catstare:

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can see you're also quite the artisté, Aweful.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
Fear my mad photoshop skillz

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mods, please rename him Everdraed 2.0

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Aweful, wasn't it you who hadn't received the dev unit? Have they said anything else about that?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So they've been manufacturing these things for close to two months now, right? And by their claims they've got 30% of them done, so that's something like 18 000 Ouyas. By their claim, which we don't believe, of course. The actual number is lower. By their own admission they haven't begun to manufacture units for retail yet. They still have 40 000+ preorders to fulfill while cranking out loads of units for retail. And all this in a month. They are, as the saying goes, "proper hosed".

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Der Shovel posted:

So they've been manufacturing these things for close to two months now, right? And by their claims they've got 30% of them done, so that's something like 18 000 Ouyas. By their claim, which we don't believe, of course. The actual number is lower. By their own admission they haven't begun to manufacture units for retail yet. They still have 40 000+ preorders to fulfill while cranking out loads of units for retail. And all this in a month. They are, as the saying goes, "proper hosed".

No, you see, they can ship literally billions of consoles out the door each day because they've increased from FULL CAPACITY to MAXIMUM CAPACITY. They're so far ahead of schedule it's threatening to go back in time and make them late again!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
So with the launch date fast approaching what is going to happen? People have pre ordered it on Amazon already and are expecting it to be shipped in June. Will Amazon charge people's cards when Julie the wonder dog say they have shipped them or will Amazon wait Tilley actually have the units on hand?

I am really hoping for the first option for the hilarity that will follow.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
So at this point we know the retail launch is BS right? There will be no units on store shelves. At best it will be like the GAME photo, a box and you can put one on order for $5. Other than that there won't be anything.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Hey good news! You can finally play GTA: VC on a console! ..at 10fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS2AVrNvA3o

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

luncheon meat posted:

Oh god, his comments during the video.

"No lag! Runs beautifully!" (proceeds to play game like it's a slideshow)

EDIT: It should also be mentioned that since GTA VC isn't on the OUYA store and OUYA doesn't have access to the market, he would have had to buy it from Google Play (or, you know, :filez:) and sideload it manually via the APK file, either of which is illegal. Take that, BIG THREE!

EDIT2: Oh christ, and then at the end he asks people to just straight up send him install files because he can't get anything to install legally this is a fantastic testimonial for this console.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 4, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Wow, that actually runs worse than the PS2 version did. That's pretty amazing.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wow, that actually runs worse than the PS2 version did. That's pretty amazing.

In OUYA's defense, he's got the draw distance and resolution up way higher than the PS2 version would have had. So the OUYA's about as good as a low end PC from 2003, but it probably doesn't quite reach PS2 level's of poo poo.

Aylor
Apr 9, 2013

That damn skunk
Runs better on my phone, christ, this is awful.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
How can a "modern" console struggle running a game that was made in 2002? :psyduck:

I mean, it doesn't help that he raised most of the graphic settings higher up in order to have better detail, but I remember running that game without having too many problems with a Athlon 800 MHz computer and some random graphic card from the era.

Any developer who would watch this video would see how terrible of an idea it would be to make games for that console (in addition to the abysmal download and sales figures from games so far).

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

You mean I can play a mobile port of a decade-old console game which is available right now for pennies on PC, Xbox or PS2, and all I have to do is either purchase it from Google Play and rip the APK or download a pirate copy, then sideload it onto my GIRAFFE?

Sign me up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

How can a "modern" console struggle running a game that was made in 2002? :psyduck:

Not defending the OUUUUUYA, but sometimes ports are done really loving badly. The Sonic 1/2 ports for iOs ran like absolute poo poo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

illiniguy01 posted:

At best it will be like the GAME photo, a box and you can put one on order for $5.
This is literally what will happen. They will also proceed to say that it's the retail launch. Seriously I'm 100% sure that's what is going through Julie's mind. "We'll put pre-order boxes in stores to fullfill our "retail" promise and send the consoles out as soon as we have them." Like it's a perfectly logical thing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

luncheon meat posted:

quote:

Awesome video man Vice city looks great, would love to chat on skype or something sometime. Maybe bounce OUYA ideas off each other.

This sounds like something a serial killer would say.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You mean I can play a mobile port of a decade-old console game which is available right now for pennies on PC, Xbox or PS2, and all I have to do is either purchase it from Google Play and rip the APK or download a pirate copy, then sideload it onto my GIRAFFE?

Sign me up.

I'm pretty sure the Play APK would have the usual Play DRM, so you'd have to have a rooted phone/tablet and patch the DRM out with some sketchy tools and then transfer it to your (again, probably rooted) MONADO.

Tangentially related, Christine Love just released the source code for one of her Ren'py games and looking at it a. makes me realize I am a TERRIBLE coder which I guess is fine because I'm a sysadmin, not a programmer and b. I kinda want to do another Markov thing.

I can stop any time I want.

Really.

:smith:

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Someone want to do me a favor, and call this guy a loving idiot either on his twitter or on the OUYAForums?
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?2400-Kickstarter-Project-Update-25-OUYA-Shippin-Update&p=21296&viewfull=1#post21296

James Andrew Coote posted:

As a product, there are plenty of things that are not so great about Gamestick. It doesn't have a USB port (except on the devkit), which makes storage limits an issue (edit: actually just remembered it has micro-sd card, so maybe not so much an issue), means there are a lot fewer options for hardware peripherals. It requires micro-usb port for power on older TV's, which means you can't plug it into your computer and have it output at the same time. That's more of a pain for developers than gamers, but it still means from a portability point of view, you have to carry around an extra wire/plug with you in case your hotel room TV has the older HDMI type of connection.

The main thing about Gamestick though is that they didn't need to go on kickstarter. They did it purely to get pre-orders. OUYA used kickstarter to get pre-orders as well, but if it hadn't hit the target, it wouldn't have happened. To pretend that PlayJam couldn't raise $100k of investment and needed to go to kickstarter is fiction.

Despite initially coming across as a copycat of OUYA, Gamestick must still have been disappointed to have only got 1/10th of the backer numbers OUYA got. However, since then, they've been able to sit in the background and basically learn from all OUYA's mistakes. While OUYA gets every little misstep they make blown out of proportion by the media spotlight, Gamestick have far fewer backers to appease and can do and say things OUYA can't.

In short, Gamestick have a way better marketing strategy, which is annoying, because once you peel it back, and get past OUYA's own terrible marketing and PR strategy, OUYA has the better product, ecosystem and support, and in terms of openness and possibilities, is much closer to being "the real deal" than Gamestick

I boldified the interesting part. I can't tell if he is supporting the Ouya, or using the "comparison" between Ouya and Gamestick to bash the Gamestick. But, the media has never blown anything out of proportion, only the unsatisfied masses. They have only used the data, or lack thereof, to come to a conclusion. And, as a CEO or whatever she claims to be, I'm surprised that Julie didn't use the opportunity of the AMA to come clean.

also, ecosystem?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ouya had to turn to Kickstarter because no company/bank/loaded individual in their right mind would give them any sort of finance towards that piece of poo poo.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Yeah, the media has basically been giving the Ouya messy blowjobs. People actually using/waiting for the thing are the ones who are pissed off.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Woden
May 6, 2006

Palpek posted:

Seriously I'm 100% sure that's what is going through Julie's mind. "We'll put pre-order boxes in stores to fullfill our "retail" promise and send the consoles out as soon as we have them." Like it's a perfectly logical thing.
Probably had a contract with retail stores where if they broke it bad things would happen. People with pre orders will just rages impotently or since this is UAYA say how great of an idea it is.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Aweful, wasn't it you who hadn't received the dev unit? Have they said anything else about that?

No, my company got theirs at the beginning of January, I haven't heard of anyone who didn't get theirs.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there a catch or error here somewhere? Since it's Ouya-related I can't imagine something actually going smoothly :v:

Aweful Dreams posted:

No, my company got theirs at the beginning of January, I haven't heard of anyone who didn't get theirs.

...are you serious?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 4, 2013

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Aweful Dreams posted:

I'm hoping you are talking about the dev-kits, but, even so, I've seen some people on Julie's twitter feed that reserved a dev-kit that didn't get theirs either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aweful Dreams posted:

Who do you personally know that did?

Because if you count the Internet as a source there are a bunch that didn't. So you must know some other devs that did.

What are they developing and what are their experiences?

• Locked thread