Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Superman can't fly, grew up in an orphanage, and doesn't know what planet he came from, and don't get me started on kryptonite. This is bullshit, I want the True Vision of the creators. They already hosed up Batman, he doesn't murder a bunch of giants with machineguns on the batplane or foil the Joker's plot to steal the world's largest piano or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
Krypton's still around, so what? Just give him the choice to go back but he decides to stay on Earth 'cause he wants to and blah blah blah. What's so bad about that? Superman's origin seems less based on the tragedy of his biological family dying and more on the disconnect of coming from two different societies.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What I really want is a superhero story where the hero is undeniably the savior of the world and protects everyone and saves lives all the time, but also has some kind or really unacceptable habit or personality quirk. Like, he's a PUA or really racist or masturbates in public all the time. So, people still want him around because he blows tsunamis back into the ocean with his breath and punches active volcanoes into dormancy but they don't, you know, want him around.

And make the super-villain a woman who he beats up really badly and everyone is incredibly uncomfortable about it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
How about MRA Superman who only saves men. Lois Lane calls him out on it in an article and he makes a declaration to the earth that if they want 'equality' so bad then fine, he won't save anyone anymore. Then Lois gets a bunch of hatemail calling her a whore.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Wasn't that essentially the first half of Hancock? Which in my opinion is amongst Ang Lee's Hulk levels of best superhero movie flawed as it is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gatts posted:

Wasn't that essentially the first half of Hancock? Which in my opinion is amongst Ang Lee's Hulk levels of best superhero movie flawed as it is.

The best superhero movies are Hancock, Hulk, The Twilight Saga: Twilight, Halloween 2007, Starcrash, Superman Returns, and Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. (Special mention - Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance).

(I'm not sure if I'd categorize The Dark Knight, Kick-rear end and Watchmen as superhero movies. They're more like 'dudes in costumes' movies.)

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 3, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The best superhero movies are Hancock, Hulk, The Twilight Saga: Twilight, Halloween 2007, Starcrash, Superman Returns, and Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. (Special mention - Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance).

(I'm not sure if I'd categorize The Dark Knight, Kick-rear end and Watchmen as superhero movies. They're more like 'dudes in costumes' movies.)

Wouldn't Dr. Manhattan move Watchmen solidly from the latter to the former?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gatts posted:

I don't even really see many flaws in Hancock at this point. It gets better every time I look at it.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Hancock is the best Superman movie. Also Boy Wonder is the best Batman movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aatrek posted:

Saw these last night. Love that doofy supersuit.

Those are cheap store exclusives, Big Lots and grocery stores carry them usually.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Danger posted:

Hancock is the best Superman movie. Also Boy Wonder is the best Batman movie.

Blankman is the best Batman movie. :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unmature posted:

That i09 article going around is awful and one of the main things I hate about the internet reaction machine. Change in nerd culture used to be cool. Aliens is completely different than Alien in every way and people still love both. I hate this whole "Raaaagh change is BAD!" reaction we ALWAYS GET with EVERYTHING. I love Superman more than anyone and I'm cool with it. The story is almost a century old, let someone mess with it, nerds.

Preaching to the choir here. I've said why I don't like it but I certainly am not opposed to it if it's done in a way that's actually dramatically interesting and filled with genuine pathos. I'm just skeptical as all hell because Zach Snyder has a hard enough time finding pathos when he's literally using someone else's work as his script, let alone doing a reimagined adaptation like this.

Darko posted:

I don't even really see many flaws in Hancock at this point. It gets better every time I look at it.

How do you possibly justify the second half? Seriously once Charlize Theron puts Hancock through the wall the movie takes such a sharp turn downhill I almost got whiplash. It goes from a movie where we don't care about the origin of Hancock or if there are others like him to a movie where that's the entire focus. It literally feels like a really fun movie and a terrible movie were bisected and two halves were sewn together.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mechafunkzilla posted:

And make the super-villain a woman who he beats up really badly and everyone is incredibly uncomfortable about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn2om3_4tzw

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I see in that new tv spot they made sure to have Superman doing his best "Jesus on the cross" pose.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Mahoning posted:

I see in that new tv spot they made sure to have Superman doing his best "Jesus on the cross" pose.

Just needs a scene with him flying through the air and an American Eagle swoops alongside him before they land on a Harley and drive off into the sunset.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

Just needs a scene with him flying through the air and an American Eagle swoops alongside him before they land on a Harley and drive off into the sunset McDonald's drive-thru.

:911:

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I get really tired of need rage.

They didn't change anything in Watchmen which makes it stupid. You have to allow minor changes to properly translate a comic to screen.

They changed one thing in the movie from the comic, I will murder the directors family and salt the ground after I burn down his home!

Relax nerds the plot here is obvious, and I'll be the first to call it.

Krypton is OK (but won't be for long)
Superman has something special that could win the war
Zod wants that special to turn the tides
Superman refuses fights Zod
Krypton is destroyed at the END OF THE MOVIE
and now it's Superman's loving fault

DOUBLE PATHOS!

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
here's my speculation, spoilered just for safety.

Movie opens with Civil War on Krypton, Zod heads the rebellious faction, Jor-El is a leader in the government. Planet is hugely affected, millions dead, but otherwise not 'destroyed.' Good guys (El family and allies) are victorious. Before the war is over however Jor-El sends Kal-El to Earth to protect him from enemy leaders who are targeting him, also unsure if victory is assured since Zod has likely constructed some super weapon to obliterate his enemies. Zod is captured and vows retribution.

Kal-El ends up in Kansas, raised by the Kents. Story more or less 'normal' Superman origin. Mix in some savin' the day and government cynicism.

Meanwhile back on Krypton (years later?) Zod underground loyalists bust him out of prison/phantom zone/whatever, they then destroy Krypton with a big planet busting laser thing. Zod searches the galaxy for Kal-El, eventually finding him on Earth (probably due to some signal or something sent out when Clark activates his ship/constructs the fortress).

Zod shows up, Clark learns Krypton has been destroyed, they fight. Zod tries to blow up Earth as punishment to Clark. This has an added character effect of up to this point Kal-El/Clark know's he's not from Earth, but somewhere his family and people exist and hopes of meeting them someday. When they show up he learns that's all been taken away and he's the last piece of revenge for a power mad military dictator who's now bent on destroying/enslaving his adopted home too.

Potential changes: I could see clark being sent after Zod escapes rather than before, but that wouldn't make the scene (I WILL FIND HIM) from the trailer make much sense since he looks like he's manacled, maybe they just broke him out?

treeboy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 4, 2013

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
Pure speculation:

Not sure if this is evidence of anything besides "an explosion happens at some point" but I paused trailer 3 at just the right moment arond 2:29 and saw this:

Like I said, could be nothing, but I thought maybe it was Krypton exploding?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's no moon...

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Yeah I'd say that fits pretty well

additional speculation based on soundtrack songs:

One of the tracks on the official soundtrack is entitled "Terraforming" Maybe Zod intends to conquer Earth? Krypton perhaps was unintentionally destroyed?

Nice planet, I think I'll take it.

additional additional speculation:

It's always confused me why Kryptonians, knowing that a yellow sun would give them super powers, stayed in their home system to such an extend that one cataclysm would wipe them out. Especially with their level of technology. In the MoS universe perhaps Earth's location is a tightly guarded secret which Zod intends to uncover in his quest for dominion? This is totally random speculation, but it's bugged me for 20+ years

treeboy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 4, 2013

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
Im far more interested in what this thing is

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

looks like some kind of drill thing underground, you can see rock on the side of the screen.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So that's where the squid from Watchmen went.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Dirk Digglet posted:

:cthulhu:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

schwenz posted:

I get really tired of need rage.

They didn't change anything in Watchmen which makes it stupid. You have to allow minor changes to properly translate a comic to screen.
What? They changed plenty in Watchmen, especially the ending. Nerds were plenty mad over it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

The Director's Cut of Watchmen is so much better though.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

treeboy posted:

It's always confused me why Kryptonians, knowing that a yellow sun would give them super powers, stayed in their home system to such an extend that one cataclysm would wipe them out. Especially with their level of technology. In the MoS universe perhaps Earth's location is a tightly guarded secret which Zod intends to uncover in his quest for dominion? This is totally random speculation, but it's bugged me for 20+ years

This varies a lot, but in some interpretations kryptonians, despite their super advanced culture, are portrayed as arrogant people who think are better than any other civilization in universe closing themselves in their planet (that why there are no kryptonians out in space or doing business with other aliens civiliztions) they pay the ultimate price by this hubris of thinking that nothing bad can come to them.
Basically "we are the pinnacle of universe we don't need help or superpowers to achieve anything..."

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Dirk Digglet posted:

Thanagarian Snare Beast

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's organic but I'd have loved it if it were some kind of Sun Eater or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gatts posted:

It's organic but I'd have loved it if it were some kind of Sun Eater or something.

Why would he be fighting his pet?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bobkatt013 posted:

Why would he be fighting his pet?
Isn't his pet a baby sun eater? Maybe this is its mother.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What I really want is a superhero story where the hero is undeniably the savior of the world and protects everyone and saves lives all the time, but also has some kind or really unacceptable habit or personality quirk. Like, he's a PUA or really racist or masturbates in public all the time. So, people still want him around because he blows tsunamis back into the ocean with his breath and punches active volcanoes into dormancy but they don't, you know, want him around.

I'm immediately reminded of Captain Sunshine from Venture Brothers.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

ThaGrandCow posted:

I'm immediately reminded of Captain Sunshine from Venture Brothers.

Or Captain Hammer from Dr Horrible.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This was Hancock, sort of. Dude has invulnerability, super strength, speed, the whole nine yards, but he's BLAAAAAACK!!!!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

His name is Captain Todger. The money all goes to donkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvEVUSm4C4w

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

How do you possibly justify the second half? Seriously once Charlize Theron puts Hancock through the wall the movie takes such a sharp turn downhill I almost got whiplash. It goes from a movie where we don't care about the origin of Hancock or if there are others like him to a movie where that's the entire focus. It literally feels like a really fun movie and a terrible movie were bisected and two halves were sewn together.

The entire movie is pretty much blatantly about the systemic problems of institutionalized racism in America and the cause and effect that goes along with this. When people make that criticism, they're basically saying that they like seeing the drunk, lazy black guy make an rear end of himself, but don't like the part where it's explained how the system creates and perpetuates that. The second half focuses on the "why" because that's the most important part; and it becomes a bit of a tragedy in that society looking down on his (interracial) relationship is what would end up destroying him. I was thinking about making a thread/essay about it to talk about it in more detail - just never got around to it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I love Hancock. I feel like a lot of people went in hoping for some kind of parody of Superheroes instead of an earnest Superhero origin that uses humor to highlight the transformation of the main character.

I'd be interested to see how people respond to it post-Avengers and Marvel's output, to be honest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I love Hancock. I feel like a lot of people went in hoping for some kind of parody of Superheroes instead of an earnest Superhero origin that uses humor to highlight the transformation of the main character.

I'd be interested to see how people respond to it post-Avengers and Marvel's output, to be honest.

I would say thats the big reason people didn't care for it. The presentation within the trailers and hype made it seem like it was going to be parody Superman whereas within the actual film its an origin story of a hero learning themselves and what it really means to be a hero and only in the last few seconds getting into a costume to fight crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Barudak posted:

I would say thats the big reason people didn't care for it. The presentation within the trailers and hype made it seem like it was going to be parody Superman whereas within the actual film its an origin story of a hero learning themselves and what it really means to be a hero and only in the last few seconds getting into a costume to fight crime.

Yeah, I have to agree. The presentation of the trailers made it seem like the movie was "What if Superman was a hilarious drunk black dude" and that's what I walked into the theater expecting. The second trailer hinted at it being a bit deeper, but the first trailer that most people remember totally made it out to be a comedy.

• Locked thread