Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Does armor even do anything? What is it supposed to do? I die pretty fast even with 25% armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Xenaero posted:

Does armor even do anything? What is it supposed to do? I die pretty fast even with 25% armor.

It affects headshot damage.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
If you don't want to buy the Slant you can also use the Hunter and a weapon HP tag. Your HRV recharge will thank you. You could be a unique snow flake and run a 245 build using the APC Ranger. I offer this advice only because I love the look of the APC Ranger. But yeah, I don't worry too much about the meta. I just use what works for me. My favorite build right now is a 210 HP 4 slot build using the Breakguard, Sniper, and Colossus. If HP helps you stack that poo poo!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I've already got the Slant, so there's that, but at the same time I also want my HRV recharge, so I'll stick with the Hunter one way or another until I get the Fox/Cat.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The European server issues are really killing the game over here, only last week you'd see a healthy number of people online at almost any time. Currently not even 50 people playing. Can hardly blame them, respawning is currently really finicky, I'm unable to trash items and sometimes I randomly get kicked back to the login.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, EU is pretty rough right now. Even if you manage to get in, there's pretty severe server-side lag.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Come play your alts on the US servers. The US servers have been having issues but most of it seems to have settled down.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Something I've noticed while using the AK470 with an extended mag: if I reload before expending the entire magazine, the reload animation is shorter than if the magazine was empty. Specifically, with at least one bullet left, when reloading, my character attaches a new magazine but does not cock the gun.

If you think about it, that last bullet would already be sitting in the chamber and so the gun wouldn't need to be cocked. Kind of a nice touch. I want to check if it works with other guns now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Something I've noticed while using the AK470 with an extended mag: if I reload before expending the entire magazine, the reload animation is shorter than if the magazine was empty. Specifically, with at least one bullet left, when reloading, my character attaches a new magazine but does not cock the gun.

If you think about it, that last bullet would already be sitting in the chamber and so the gun wouldn't need to be cocked. Kind of a nice touch. I want to check if it works with other guns now.

It does with every gun.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

It does with every gun.

:allears: What a nice touch.

I suppose that along with quick-reload mags also explains why some people are able to reload so goddamn fast sometimes.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Artificer posted:

Edit: Can't get the Fox/Cat and I can't get the third to last chest yet. I've got a feeling I'll be playing a lot of Onslaught in the near future. That's good for xp and gp as well, right? Pretty relaxing and non-rage inducing, too. Should be good.

Could be fun with some Goon Onslaught. Got a temp minigun from a MCP :black101:

e: Oh look, a maintenance finally.

quote:

2 PM PDT = 5 PM EDT = 11 PM CEST

Lima fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 7, 2013

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The Ranger is such a good helmet. Give me that HRV.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Discounts this week:
Heroes: 40% off
Recievers: 40% off
Attachments: 30% off

I bought the Zenith barrel two hours ago :argh:

e: The BAR is the weekly free reciever.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Well that's timely, I wanted to pick up an AMR for my US fattie but I figured it would take me still a while since I was sitting at ~4k.

Now the servers just need to stay stable enough for me to finish the running mission. It depresses me to play Mechwarrior Online instead, I suck at it so bad.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Oh, lucky day. First GP Chance pack I've ever gotten and it has Purple Hardsuit Camo in it :allears:

Time to start buying hardsuits in matches, I guess!

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
To be honest, the only time I've ever noticed hardsuit camo was back when you could build a wall of them and farm the giant zombies in OS. If the hardsuit is on my team I basically ignore it and if the hardsuit is on the enemy team either it kills me or I'm shooting a rocket at it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

:allears: What a nice touch.

I suppose that along with quick-reload mags also explains why some people are able to reload so goddamn fast sometimes.

This can be the difference between a good player and a mediocre player. At my peak I'd unconsciously stop firing with 1 or 2 rounds left in the chamber for the fast reload and I'd reload cancel (cancels the reloading animation after the bullets are added but before the animation finishes so you're able to fire instantaneously). There are a lot of little touches like this all over the place if you look for them.

And time for an unrelated question: I haven't played Blacklight: Retribution in several months. Can any of you fine, fine people recommend me a setup for weapons that are accurate while moving? Or should I just stick to shotguns?

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 8, 2013

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Trip report: Purple is both stylish -

- and it gives me UNLIMITED POWER

Seriously I almost never have single-digit deaths in matches; I am a suicide machine more often than not. Still, I suppose the logical extension of my newfound power is to make a 250 hp build and pretend I'm battle-Grimace.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Nice! Were you camping by the A node? Because Decay is a drat impressive map on which to go 23-2 with a bolt-action.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I only got a handful of those kills with the bolt-action, actually; most of my time was spent sprinting madly from one end to the other with my shotgun out. First time I've ever actually run out of ammo for the shotty in one life!

EnemyNation and I tried to have manly Hardsuit fights too, but pubbies kept getting rocket launchers and flamethrowers and spitting in our cheerios.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

fennesz posted:

This can be the difference between a good player and a mediocre player. At my peak I'd unconsciously stop firing with 1 or 2 rounds left in the chamber for the fast reload and I'd reload cancel (cancels the reloading animation after the bullets are added but before the animation finishes so you're able to fire instantaneously). There are a lot of little touches like this all over the place if you look for them.

And time for an unrelated question: I haven't played Blacklight: Retribution in several months. Can any of you fine, fine people recommend me a setup for weapons that are accurate while moving? Or should I just stick to shotguns?

SMG, TSMG and M4X are the ones with lowest hip/move spread. The BPFA and AK470 comes next.

SMG: Two-Step muzzle, LBiV barrel, V2 Folding stock, Extended mag. 45 damage, decent spread, +16 speed. Recoil doesn't matter.
M4X: Two-Step, Jurisdiction barrel, STI-01 stock, Quick mag. 45 damage, much better spread than SMG, +15 speed, heavyish on the recoil.
TSMG: Rift muzzle, extended mag. 35 damage, decent spread.
BPFA: Two-Step muzzle, TechBar grip, z1200 BPFA stock, Quick/Magnum mag. 54/56 damage, good spread, +10/0 speed.
AK470: Two-Step, Rhino barrel, ACP-3 Collapsible stock, Quick/Extended mag. 56 damage, good spread & recoil, -35 speed.

You can get free permanent AK470/shotgun/MP recievers and a bonebreaker helmet through raptr.com at the moment.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The LMG-R also belongs in that list, it actually beats an AK in move spread when you put accuracy parts on both. It's more or less its only virtue though, along with humongous mag sizes and predictable recoil.

Oh, and an accuracy-build combat rifle can reach THE most absurdly tight hipfire and move spread values of any gun in the game - like, less than half of a SMG's - but it would be generous to call it a gimmick.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Lima posted:

SMG, TSMG and M4X are the ones with lowest hip/move spread. The BPFA and AK470 comes next.

SMG: Two-Step muzzle, LBiV barrel, V2 Folding stock, Extended mag. 45 damage, decent spread, +16 speed. Recoil doesn't matter.
M4X: Two-Step, Jurisdiction barrel, STI-01 stock, Quick mag. 45 damage, much better spread than SMG, +15 speed, heavyish on the recoil.
BPFA: Two-Step muzzle, TechBar grip, z1200 BPFA stock, Quick/Magnum mag. 54/56 damage, good spread, +10/0 speed.
AK470: Two-Step, Rhino barrel, ACP-3 Collapsible stock, Quick/Extended mag. 56 damage, good spread & recoil, -35 speed.

You can get free permanent AK470/shotgun/MP recievers and a bonebreaker helmet through raptr.com at the moment.

Thank you! Just finished reinstalling and I'm definitely planning on trying some of these out :banjo:

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Who'd like me to say they referred me to the game? Are there any particular tips I should know when starting off that aren't in the current OP?
e: Okay, no I've done stuff in the wrong order to do that, never mind.
e: And also missed that link in the block of links, my bad.

is that good fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 8, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I may not be an MLG Pro sniper, but I tried out the BAR today and I placed the Krane and the Rhino barrel on it, as well as the 3x dot scope. I basically turned it into a CyberPunk Garand and I quite like it. I'm not too terribly good with it but then again I'm not terribly good with any gun. It's a fun gun to use though, and a good way to get assist points when I'm just spamming shots downrange while my allies near me spray wildly.

What are some good builds for similar "throw lead downrange as fast as possible" ideas for the BAR?

It's got 195 damage and 0.6 ADS spread. :downs:

Edit: Practiced a bit in Practice mode and on bots on the other side of Helodeck it seems accurate enough for headshots at the 3x scope's range...

Artificer fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 8, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Artificer posted:

I may not be an MLG Pro sniper, but I tried out the BAR today and I placed the Krane and the Rhino barrel on it, as well as the 3x dot scope. I basically turned it into a CyberPunk Garand and I quite like it. I'm not too terribly good with it but then again I'm not terribly good with any gun. It's a fun gun to use though, and a good way to get assist points when I'm just spamming shots downrange while my allies near me spray wildly.

What are some good builds for similar "throw lead downrange as fast as possible" ideas for the BAR?

The most important part for a BAR is the Redsand Stabilized stock: it has the second-best fire rate with zero scope-in time penalty, which makes it generally better than the AC10 Sharp (the one with the best fire rate). If you want to keep some speed, the Krane Dual Mount and the Frontier Ultralight are optimal in their weight classes.

For the muzzle you want either the QDSS-9 or the NT4 silencer, they both provide the fastest rates of fire which is way more important than accuracy or damage.

After that, picking the barrel depends on your tolerance for imprecision, since the damage total (muzzle+barrel) is what will actually determine aim spread i.e. the only spread that matters. Really long-range shots, like headshotting across containment, require 0.00 precision so you don't want to go above 180 damage. More than that and you'll start getting spread; frankly it's generally not worth it because you won't get many more kills than you did at 180. Unless you go all the way to 200 to murder pubbies with bodyshots, either through straight-up max damage parts or through 182 damage with incendiary ammo.

Finally: +ammo tag. If you never got any in level-up packs, strongly consider spending a dollar to buy one.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Artificer posted:

Edit: Practiced a bit in Practice mode and on bots on the other side of Helodeck it seems accurate enough for headshots at the 3x scope's range...

Parts that reduces recoil increases the RoF (max 80), and any damage above 180 increases the aimed spread. Here's a BAR that hits those caps, but is slow as hell (-1.0 speed):

(the fact that the barrel does not line up with the bolt makes this build unacceptable, of course :douche:)

There's plenty of ways to hit 180 damage, and imho, the full 80 RoF is a bit overkill. The standard muzzle and barrel with one of the earlier -recoil stocks (BRS tactical, Mod 0, Stabilized) should work fine too.

Lima fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 8, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Gotta admit, it's nice 1-shotting lower-armored people through bodyshots though. :shobon: I'll give those parts a look-see, however.

Edit: Or I might just go for a 200 damage build. How bad are those nowadays? Seriously nerfed to the point of mediocrity?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 8, 2013

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Artificer posted:

Gotta admit, it's nice 1-shotting lower-armored people through bodyshots though. :shobon: I'll give those parts a look-see, however.

Edit: Or I might just go for a 200 damage build. How bad are those nowadays? Seriously nerfed to the point of mediocrity?

Imo get the amr if you want to body shot people

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

The AMR has less spread than the 200 damage BAR. If you're bad with headshots you can always go with an 84 damage combat rifle and just 3-shot everything in quick succession.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Artificer posted:

You'll get nearly a degree of aimed spread at 200 damage. Someone who can remember their trigonometry could calculate how much that is at various ranges, but I'd say that the benefit of bodyshotting standard armor builds (who often aren't the biggest of threats anyway) is much smaller than hitting where your gun points every time.
You'll have to hit anyone with even just a health tag twice anyway.

The AMR is a much better bodyshot cannon and I can't wait for it to be in the weekly weapon back :shepface:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

drat. AMR is at level 35. Okay, well, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll play around a bit and see what I want to do.

Is the 0.84 ADS spread even much of an issue with a 3x scope, anyways?

Edit: Took the standard muzzle and barrel with Mod 0 stock into Practice Mode. Liked it. Time to take it a bit further with some experimenting in actual matches.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 8, 2013

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

The LMG-R also belongs in that list, it actually beats an AK in move spread when you put accuracy parts on both. It's more or less its only virtue though, along with humongous mag sizes and predictable recoil.

Oh, and an accuracy-build combat rifle can reach THE most absurdly tight hipfire and move spread values of any gun in the game - like, less than half of a SMG's - but it would be generous to call it a gimmick.

Fear the hip-fire run'n'gun CR.

E1:
(I'm actually better with this build than the "good" CR build :ssh: )

E2:
I'm so jealous of that purple camo. Nice find.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 8, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

How much recoil does the CR with the 0.0 ADS spread have? Do you just tap your mouse while dragging it down?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

How much recoil does the CR with the 0.0 ADS spread have? Do you just tap your mouse while dragging it down?

This is the accepted "good" build and yeah, that's basically what you do.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Lima posted:

How do I get raptr to recognize I'm above the newbie rank for the game and give me my free poo poo.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
Is anybody else having trouble loading the game? I can't get the loader to fully load, just hangs on "Loading. Please Wait."

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Opals25 posted:

Is anybody else having trouble loading the game? I can't get the loader to fully load, just hangs on "Loading. Please Wait."

Make a shortcut directly to BLR.exe. I never ever waste time with the loader unless there's an actual patch.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

NihilCredo posted:

Make a shortcut directly to BLR.exe. I never ever waste time with the loader unless there's an actual patch.

I am out of date though; I can't find much online so far about this loading error in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dotcom656 posted:

How do I get raptr to recognize I'm above the newbie rank for the game and give me my free poo poo.

There's an option to link your raptr profile to your steam one, on the raptr site. Make sure your steam profile is public.
Your rank depends entirely on time spent with the BLR.exe running. If you can't get the profile linking to work then simply leave the raptr desktop client and the game running overnight, and use the manual tracking option, for free stuff.

Opals25 posted:

I am out of date though; I can't find much online so far about this loading error in particular.

The launcher may still patch the game even when it hangs on "loading...". If it does, you should see a percentage on the title bar of the launcher, or whatever it's called.
e: Up there, somewhere:

Lima fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 9, 2013

• Locked thread