Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

mgreen42 posted:

I know, I know - like I'm sure Notch didn't even blink dumping 10k into this thing.

But even if the money means nothing personally to them, they -have- to think about opportunity costs, right? There are a lot of people with a shiny idea -and- resources to actually accomplish it out there. What a massive waste (at least we'll extend this hilarious disaster a little longer, though, I guess)...

VC firms will throw money at almost anything. If you dump money into ten things and nine of them are abysmal failures, but that one success turns into a giant and you're lined up for a huge payday as a result, who gives a gently caress?

So, the original Kickstarter was what, $1m USD? They received just under $9m, and yet they've had to secure another $15m by giving up who knows how much of their stake in the company. It's almost like there were zero planning done for any stage other than making crazy eyes at fanboys or something, weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
OUYA, the open console by gamers, for game-oh wait sorry we just got bought out so yeah gently caress you guys. Welcome our new corporate overlords!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Does someone want to break out a calculator and figure out how many games they need to sell with their 30% cut just to pay back that $15 million investment?
$50 million, assuming it all goes to the investors and don't want any return in investment (i.e. actual figure much higher).

What does the average game sell for on the EDMONTON-OILA?

mgreen42
Oct 22, 2002

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Not to be too cynical, but I bet there's plenty of much better gaming related kickstarters that notch dropped 10k on that you've never heard of. As much of a flop as MEJAISSOULSTEALER is compared to the big 3 as far as media coverage, for a kickstarter project it's pretty well known. Putting money into SWORDOFTHEOCCULT may be a black hole, but people will notice if you put money into LEVIATHAN a lot more than if you dump it into a random kickstarter that might never get any attention. Even if it's not a useful way of supporting indie gaming, it's a very visible way of doing it.

Yeah, that's true. I guess it's probably as much a publicity pitch for Notch than anything else.

I guess this touched a nerve more than usual, due to working at a (finally) successful startup with a bunch of excellent people and a great leader with a really innovative idea - who didn't gently caress up constantly and somehow end up with 24 million like they did. But I'll take my grumblings offline. :)

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

quote:

The solution: larger button holes. "I don't know what the exact millimeter is, but we've increased the size just a little bit, so now the buttons don't stick under it.
:laffo:

"Exactly how much are larger are the wider button holes?"
"A little bit wider. A LITTLE BIT."

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I can't believe they're honestly dumping the original backers with garbage beta units. They absolutely need to put that money towards sending out replacements for the few backers who got their consoles, and immediately stop sending out any more until they have actual fully-functioning units for everyone else.

There's no doubt at this point that the people who backed this are going to be 90% of the thing's actual demographic, so screwing them over like that is just an unfathomably-bad PR decision.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

JaysonAych posted:

"Exactly how much are larger are the wider button holes?"
"A little bit wider. A LITTLE BIT."

We've discussed the problem with our factory and they have changed the tooling setting from A LOT to MAXIMUM. Feet are literally on the ground here.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

miscellaneous14 posted:

I can't believe they're honestly dumping the original backers with garbage beta units. They absolutely need to put that money towards sending out replacements for the few backers who got their consoles, and immediately stop sending out any more until they have actual fully-functioning units for everyone else.

There's no doubt at this point that the people who backed this are going to be 90% of the thing's actual demographic, so screwing them over like that is just an unfathomably-bad PR decision.

That sounds hard. Not lots hard, but definitely more than a little bit hard. What's that on the Uhrman scale?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Disappointing egg posted:

I just saw this and thought of you guys:

Putting two and two together would make it seem like Ouya definately has some serious cashflow problems which is why they've trickled out of the factory at a snails paces while they've been trying to get this extra VC boost.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Dex posted:

That sounds hard. Not lots hard, but definitely more than a little bit hard. What's that on the Uhrman scale?

Somewhere between "sending your main consumer base a shipping progress chart you drew in MS Paint" and "not announcing that you're going to release new models every year".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

We've discussed the problem with our factory and they have changed the tooling setting from A LOT to MAXIMUM. Feet are literally on the ground here.

"Our controller guy has been sent to the factory and he is under strict orders not to return until he can get a camel through that button hole!"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Der Shovel posted:

"Our controller guy has been sent to the factory and he is under strict orders not to return until he can get a camel through that button hole!"

As Jesus wrote, "It is easier for a camel to go through the hole of a button than for Uhrman to enter the business of retail."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Der Shovel posted:

"Our controller guy has been sent to the factory and he is under strict orders not to return until he can get a battle camel through that button hole!"

Clarified. :cmon:

I had a pretty good idea for Markov4 this week, so I might start on that shortly.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

http://www.ouya.tv/ouya-is-f-f-funded/

"Ouya is f-f-funded"

Wasn't it "f-f-funded" when the Kickstarter f-f-finished?

They're f-f-hosed.

The bum-lickers are out in force, patting Uhrman on the back for the great news. They've basically 'fessed up to lying to everyone about the shipping and retail launch and said the backers are a "preview period" and yet most still aren't calling them out on it. She could leave a flaming bag full of poo poo on their doorsteps and they'd still hail it as a great move from a gaming visionary.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

miscellaneous14 posted:

Somewhere between "sending your main consumer base a shipping progress chart you drew in MS Paint" and "not announcing that you're going to release new models every year".

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Careful now, I think that's the slide they used to get the VC funding. You should be careful posting sensitive internal material like that.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
Tyrant King Ouya increases taxes for war against THE BIG THREE. Xboxpants still court jester, dancing around a set of routers and modems randomly resetting them to entertain King Ouya. More news at MAXIMUM.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

quote:

Before joining KPCB where Gordon is focused on digital investments, he was a long-time executive at Electronic Arts, beginning with EA's founding in 1982 which had initial funding from KPCB. As an OUYA board member, Gordon will advise the company as it scales its development community and executes its retail strategy and product development plans. Gordon also serves on the board of directors of Amazon, Klout, Lockerz, MEVIO, Zazzle and Zynga.
http://www.kpcb.com

quote:

Gordon also serves on the board of directors of Amazon, Klout, Lockerz, MEVIO, Zazzle and Zynga.

quote:

Gordon also serves on the board of directors of Zynga.

quote:

Zynga.

Meet the new boss, just like the old boss.

Hope you like micro-transactionful click button press farming games.

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013
Ring-a-ring o' techies,
"The Ouyas' all bloody Phonies",
A-tishoo! A-tishoo!
And the plates fall down.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Meet the new boss, just like the old boss.

Hope you like micro-transactionful cow clicking pressing farming games.

Well, they surely gave the SHITLORD 15 million of good reasons to scramble and fix the faceplate.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

quote:

Amazon, Klout, Lockerz, MEVIO, Zazzle and Zynga.
It's like someone upended a Scrabble board if Scrabble had six Z's.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

limaCAT posted:

Well, they surely gave the SHITLORD 15 million of good reasons to scramble and fix the faceplate.

Zynga did not give them $15,000,000.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

pentyne posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean?

It means Half-Life 3 confirmed for the ELIJAH! :woop:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hope you like micro-transactionful click button press farming games.
This coupled with Uhrman saying "Developers monetize however they’d like to, which is why we have games with unlockable demoes inside a fully paid version, or micro-transactions, and even a donation based game. I’m looking forward to the first episodic, subscription-based game,” means that you're right.

She's a PR drone and spews only catchphrases that were used at meetings: micro-transactions and subscription-based had to be used quite a lot so welp.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Ahhhhhhhh funding guarantees the trainwreck continues. How can you NOT be excited about it?!

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

It's so awesome that the speculation they were scrambling to get a few units out the door while they secured funding turned out to be true. I couldn't be happier.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Zynga did not give them $15,000,000.

And Zynga did not invent cow clicking games either.

Louisgod posted:

Ahhhhhhhh funding guarantees the trainwreck continues. How can you NOT be excited about it?!

How can we be? The Silicon Valley Investors Circlejerk is building loving Games By Apollo 2.0.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UWJFOUBxTo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
They pushed the June 4th release date back?

Thank god. Let the LULU stain someone else's birthday.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Louisgod posted:

I hope 15 million is enough to fix the controllers :ohdear:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Trapezium Dave posted:

$50 million, assuming it all goes to the investors and don't want any return in investment (i.e. actual figure much higher).

What does the average game sell for on the EDMONTON-OILA?

Someone was using $5 as an average. Even if the game sells for a buck, there could be some IAPs.

So 10 million games. And they have to break that to get money for future units or even making a profit.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I have this weird feeling that Julie will use this latest investment as a way to quietly reboot the whole project in an attempt to recover from losses and write off the kickstarter campaign as a proof of concept experiment.

I sense the device will get an internal upgrade under the logic of "well we've done the bodywork, we just need a new engine" and subsequently the OUYA 2 will be announced. They've already stated there will be new devices yearly so I can see the Osborne effect kicking in as they struggle to clear any first run stock while dealing with early adopters who feel ripped off and future consumers who want value for money.

In my wildest dreams posted:

"We also do an OUYA presented on a silver-plated tray that your mother can serve you drinks on, all for $99. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap."

BogDew fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 9, 2013

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
To be serious for a minute, there's basically four kinds of games around right now:

1. Large AAA titles that have top tier graphics, development houses, (either PC or console)
  2. Games you play casually on your phone while you poop (iOS or Android)
  3. Microtransaction based click farming Facebook games (Zynga)
  4. Console games to play with a group (Wii party games, four player FPS)

The Ouya is attemping to bring number 1 on a platform based on number 2 monetized with number 3 in a medium typically dominated by number 4. It's an awful idea. They assume people want to play casual phone games on their huge TV and keep feeding a bit-transaction meter. How does this make sense?

I'm going to install a toilet in my living room so I can play ENDL3SS RUN4R ZUMBBABIES while I defecate on my HICKORYDICKORYDOCK.

This whole list was a joke to get to say that the OMBUDSMAN is poop

EDIT:

limaCAT posted:

And Zynga did not invent cow clicking games either.

They didn't invent them but they sure rode that train right off a cliff.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jerk McJerkface posted:

To be serious for a minute, there's basically four kinds of games around right now:

1. Large AAA titles that have top tier graphics, development houses, (either PC or console)
  2. Games you play casually on your phone while you poop (iOS or Android)
  3. Microtransaction based click farming Facebook games (Zynga)
  4. Console games to play with a group (Wii party games, four player FPS)

The Ouya is attemping to bring number 1 on a platform based on number 2 monetized with number 3 in a medium typically dominated by number 4. It's an awful idea. They assume people want to play casual phone games on their huge TV and keep feeding a bit-transaction meter. How does this make sense?

It would make sense and you would have an hardon too if you were a Techcrunch pundit.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They didn't invent them but they sure rode that train right off a cliff.

But that only because they had million of friends clicking on their spam messages and sending them the coal they needed.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

limaCAT posted:

But that only because they had million of friends clicking on their spam messages and sending them the coal they needed.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

We need a "it's a cityville analogy" emoticon.
In any case yes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

That graph is waaaaaay too complicated for this thread.
What does it mean? What are the numbers? I am scared!

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

peter gabriel posted:

That graph is waaaaaay too complicated for this thread.
What does it mean? What are the numbers? I am scared!

It means not a lot. not a lot.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

trunkwontopen posted:

It means not a lot. not a lot.

The technical term is antimaximum.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

isOuyaShipping posted:

Responses: 2402 Total Preshipping: 311 Total Shipped: 238 Total Received: 55 Percent Shipped: 9.91% Percent Received: 2.29% Percent Responded: 4.19%

Chart time again.

In recognition of the fact that OUYA the company stated they would only have 100% "Shipped" by 5/25/13 I have added an additional chart of the % "Shipped" estimate to 5/25/13.

The linear progression suggests that 14.21% of 100% will be "shipped" and 3.26% will be delivered by 5/25/13.

A refresher for those new to the thread: the definition of something "shipped" is completly ambigious and a company can declare something shipped and never send it, or delay forever, it's not uncommon for an Ebay order to be "shipped" for a day or 2 before it's even put in the mail.

<shipping talk>
"Shipped" is often defined by when the vendor buys the shipping label (pays a shipping company) for the right to ship the product. In most businesses this occurs shortly before shipping but is not uncommon for it to be a couple days before actually sticking the label on a box and putting it in the mail. This also explains why you will often get a notice "Your product has shipped" within a couple minutes of finishing an ebay transaction. It means the seller paid for the shipping label but hasn't even started printing it to put on a box with your product before dropping it off at the mailbox. This also explains why you often can't see your tracking number for a day or two after your product has been "shipped" it means it hasn't been delivered or checked in at the initial facility.

OUYA the company has been sending "shipping" emails without tracking numbers sometimes which means they are not even purchasing the shipping labels. Even worse they have been sending "pre-shipping" emails which are about as good as, hey we promise we're working on it.

As the end user you can't tell your product has been shipped until you have a tracking number and you see movement from the first location, at that point you can be sure the shipping company is attempting fulfillment, before then who knows.
</shipping talk>

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The one time she uses a real number, and it's the most blatant lie imaginable. 12,000 developers? That sure is a lot. A LOT.

For hilarity's sake, let's assume that's a true number. But let's be realistic and also assume most of those are one guy who has an idea and no experience.

So, let's say only 10% of them make a game at all. That's 1,200 games on the OUYA store. How would anyone ever find the good games (assuming for hilarity's sake that there will even be good games)?

This scenario would be pretty much exactly why the Videogame Crash of 1983 happened - too many people making too many games.

Man, this just keeps getting better. :suspense:

• Locked thread