Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
You know what this reminds me of?

quote:

For one contract, in July 2000, Enron and Blockbuster Video signed a 20-year agreement to introduce on-demand entertainment to various U.S. cities by year-end. After several pilot projects, Enron recognized estimated profits of more than $110 million from the deal, even though analysts questioned the technical viability and market demand of the service. When the network failed to work, Blockbuster withdrew from the contract. Enron continued to recognize future profits, even though the deal resulted in a loss

"This will definitely be a success. The OUYA will sell like a smartphone and everyone will buy a new one each year!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

jalopybrown posted:

What is this even supposed to mean? It looks like he's whining about new consoles but Uhrman said they'll release even quicker, I like how it reads as though the Big Three are driving the cost down and it's a negative too.

He's talking about how major consoles undergo hardware revisions instead of releasing a totally new console every time they find a way to make the same device out of cheaper parts. I don't know how this is possibly a negative thing as current Xbox 360s are cheaper, more reliable, and slightly more powerful than launch ones. I guess it's bad that they didn't rename it and make me buy it again?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

You know what this reminds me of?

"This will definitely be a success. The OUYA will sell like a smartphone and everyone will buy a new one each year!"

In other news, Skillings is getting out of chokey early.

We can only hope that he gets the CFO position with BOOBYA.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

His company took pity on him and sent him a regular model.

"Company"

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Vexrm posted:

Man, re all the investor talk any one with cable TV can see investments don't work the way Awful is saying. Shark Tank, while sensationalized, is "Hey that's a good idea, have a ton of money." The fine print even states this is all done on a whim and pitch, with very little actual investigation.

Yes, yes, reality TV isn't reality, but nothing that blatantly stupid with real money would be happening if deep and meaningful research was the norm.

According to Mark Cuban, a lot of the ideas chosen on shark tank never actually get funded after they complete the investigation. This also actually happened to a local woman who was chosen on the show for her fridge magnets, once they realized the product and business model was poo poo they bailed.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

BrettRobb posted:

According to Mark Cuban, a lot of the ideas chosen on shark tank never actually get funded after they complete the investigation. This also actually happened to a local woman who was chosen on the show for her fridge magnets, once they realized the product and business model was poo poo they bailed.

Yeah, on the UK version you quite often hear them say that stuff like: "as long as it checks out after the due diligence...".

Off-topic I learned a little while ago that when you go on the show you have to give the show either 5% equity or some alternative I can't remember atm whether you get a deal or not. So that production company owns shares in hundreds of crazy "businesses". I sometimes wonder how many chequess they get a year for $3 from the failures who refuse to give up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BrettRobb posted:

This should've been applied to KS. Is there a site that tracks failed KS that took money and returned nothing, or even just crapped out a really terrible product and vanished?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Taciturn Tactician posted:

He's talking about how major consoles undergo hardware revisions instead of releasing a totally new console every time they find a way to make the same device out of cheaper parts. I don't know how this is possibly a negative thing as current Xbox 360s are cheaper, more reliable, and slightly more powerful than launch ones. I guess it's bad that they didn't rename it and make me buy it again?

If they don't force you to buy it again how will you be reminded of the great deal you're getting?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

From many pages back at this point, but...

luncheon meat posted:

Hey good news! You can finally play GTA: VC on a console! ..at 10fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS2AVrNvA3o

precision posted:

Well, the YUHU can run Vice City (illegally, at a terrible frame rate). :v:

(Also, Vice City is $2 on the Android store right now.)

edit: Beaten a lot. A lot.

Thanks to Precision pointing out how cheap Vice City is on Google Play, I downloaded it onto my Transformer TF101, the first model of the Transformer with the Tegra 2 processor and allegedly far below the Ouya in performance benchmarks, and with all settings turned up to full it runs a lot better than in that video.

So there's something to think about, I guess.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

raditts posted:

Thanks to Precision pointing out how cheap Vice City is on Google Play, I downloaded it onto my Transformer TF101, the first model of the Transformer with the Tegra 2 processor and allegedly far below the Ouya in performance benchmarks, and with all settings turned up to full it runs a lot better than in that video.

So there's something to think about, I guess.

To be fair, it's a hell of a lot easier to render at 1280x800 than 1920x1080. I'm sure if the game was actually made to run on OUYA they would have cut it down to 1280x720, that makes a huge performance difference on OUYA.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aweful Dreams posted:

To be fair, it's a hell of a lot easier to render at 1280x800 than 1920x1080. I'm sure if the game was actually made to run on OUYA they would have cut it down to 1280x720, that makes a huge performance difference on OUYA.

And would have made more profit on the Dreamcast...which had more power and more ideas. Huh, the OUYA is the John Connor to make the N64 look good!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I wish Uhrman had gone on Shark Tank. They would have eaten her alive right after "A lot".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FrozenVent posted:

I wish Uhrman had gone on Shark Tank. They would have eaten her alive right after "A lot".

Kevin O'Leary - "Alright, I'm gonna give you the goods here. I.... QUIET-YOU-LITTLE-ANT! As I was saying, you have no business model, your product is inferior, and there's no chance in hell any here will invest it, even Mr Goodtimes over on the end there. You wanted the Shark Tank baby, and you've got it. It's a feeding frenzy, and you're the chum. Now please take your little malformed cube there and leave."

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Aweful Dreams posted:

To be fair Vice City is eleven loving years old, and the fact that they have to push a bunch more pixels is honestly no loving excuse for that terrible framerate, given the resolutions on the textures. Like the fact that it is less capable than a PS2 hooked into a bluray player with upscaling at running the same game in just about every way is really loving telling.

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Kevin O'Leary - "Alright, I'm gonna give you the goods here. I.... QUIET-YOU-LITTLE-ANT! As I was saying, you have no business model, your product is inferior, and there's no chance in hell any here will invest it, even Mr Goodtimes over on the end there. You wanted the Shark Tank baby, and you've got it. It's a feeding frenzy, and you're the chum. Now please take your little malformed cube there and leave."

I will watch this episode thousand times.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

trunkwontopen posted:

But, can't ouya see this is the land of confusion?

I don't know, the BLACKSHEEP is more a case of musical box or of carpet crawlers than land of confusion, even if the Spitting Image puppets would fit the SMALLPOX9 personalities well.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Here's a new thing, KAJIGGER conspiracy theories (courtesy of Reddit, natch):

quote:

... Unless the funding is covertly coming from MS or Sony via a few other hands. They may be quietly taking a controlling interest in OUYA to keep it from cutting into their bottom lines.
With major console releases on tap before Xmas, that's what I would certainly do if I were them.

Someone call Alex Jones. Perhaps the MS and Sony execs are also interdimensional lizards?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Someone call Alex Jones. Perhaps the MS and Sony execs are also interdimensional lizards?

I'm not sure about Sony but...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Here's a new thing, KAJIGGER conspiracy theories (courtesy of Reddit, natch):

Yes, I'm sure MS and Sony are very, very concerned about the OHWONTYOUGOHOMEWITHME cutting into their bottom lines at Christmas.

The Christmas after they release a console that is what, four generations ahead of the OCANADA? The consoles that will have more decent and worthwhile game than the OCELOT on day one?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

FrozenVent posted:

Yes, I'm sure MS and Sony are very, very concerned about the OHWONTYOUGOHOMEWITHME cutting into their bottom lines at Christmas.

The Christmas after they release a console that is what, four generations ahead of the OCANADA? The consoles that will have more decent and worthwhile game than the OCELOT on day one?

Are you crazy? Do you really DARE to compare Car Jumper with Infamous 3?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617lGZjYyNo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aweful Dreams posted:

The game has its own resolution settings (granted it's a percentage slider so I don't know what the gently caress but that would certainly fit in well with the ouya), so wouldn't that mean that the game resolution isn't dependent on the native resolution of the device it's running on?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So, I just noticed something :

The Ouya is currently available for Preorder on Amazon.de for 119 Euro. That's 154$. So, the Console of the People(tm) costs more than half of the US Price for an audience not really that much into IAP and Android Gaming.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Zaphod42 posted:

There are all kinds of "actual investors" out there who will throw millions down the toilet. Having money doesn't immediately qualify you as a shrewd businessman. And Julie could be distorting the truth pretty heavily, and running off all the press they've been getting.

Maybe, but Bing Gordon isn't an idiot and he's now on the board of OUYA. Could work out ok with a video game guy like him there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hymirvetr posted:

The Ouya is currently available for Preorder on Amazon.de for 119 Euro. That's 154$. So, the Console of the People(tm) costs more than half of the US Price for an audience not really that much into IAP and Android Gaming.

Well they have to pay for those funky plugs you guys use somehow, right?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FrozenVent posted:

Well they have to pay for those funky plugs you guys use somehow, right?

They don't even include them!

At least not in the package that German guy got a few pages back.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hymirvetr posted:

It's worth noting that the cheapest Xbox 360 is 23 euros more expensive. Which would you prefer?

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

BrettRobb posted:

Really? I've heard that some of the sharks got screwed hard for falling on one pitch. Of course, looking at who has been on the show I think it's more likely that was the case at the beginning but isn't now? They have a rather solid line up where before the investors rotated. Who knows though?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

gschmidl posted:

They don't even include them!

At least not in the package that German guy got a few pages back.

That's because he got the discounted KS backer preview model :smug:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

My friend posted an Ouya unboxing picture on facebook. Suddenly this trainwreck is personal :negative:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

quote:

I think it's funny that there are a ton of people saying this is doomed to fail when they haven't even had the retail launch yet. Sure, some reviews were bad, but some were good too. If you don't think you'll like it, don't read articles about it, unless you just like complaining about things. I'm a Spurs fan, but I don't spend my time on Mavericks blogs commenting about how awful they are.

For people saying the backers got screwed by getting beta software/hardware - how many people complaining about this actually are backers? Do you guys actually think they were expecting an enormous gaming library and a perfect UI from day one? The backers knew what they were doing - helping out a product that they wanted to see get created. Now OUYA is getting new software updates every 2 weeks, fixing and refining the experience. Plus, on the hardware side, Uhrman said that replacement controllers are going to be shipped to backers as soon as they're ready. OUYA's team seems to listen and respond to feedback, which isn't always the case.

Personally, I'm pretty excited to get one of these just to try it out. Of course the gaming won't be what it is on the PS3 or Xbox, but that's why it costs about half as much. Plus, OnLive will be on it, which is great for streaming higher quality games.

-

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

That guy is pure ouya_fan.jpg

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
OUYA's strategy of "let's just keep pushing out the goalposts" seems to be working pretty well for them, all things considered.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I thought onlive went bust? Besides, doesn't streaming your AAA games from the Big Three kinda defeat the whole purpose of the OOPSIE?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

nexus6 posted:

I thought onlive went bust?

It did and then the people running OnLive sold all their assets to a second company for pennies on the dollar and folded the original company, leaving their creditors hanging in the wind.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

nexus6 posted:

I thought onlive went bust? Besides, doesn't streaming your AAA games from the Big Three kinda defeat the whole purpose of the OOPSIE?

I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that OnLive does not currently have an app that is loaded onto the OUYA store, even in a pre-production capacity.

There's actually a lot of reason to believe that OnLive is not even working on an app for OUYA at all at the moment. They did basically die, and the guy who runs OUYAForum also runs some OnLive website, has contacted the development team, and they basically said "uh...not really working on it right now".

Also OnLive still doesn't have anything resembling a sustainable business model.

Der Shovel posted:

It did and then the people running OnLive sold all their assets to a second company for pennies on the dollar and folded the original company, leaving their creditors hanging in the wind.

In 12 months, you'll be able to post this, but with the word "OUYA" in it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

theflyingorc posted:

In 12 months, you'll be able to post this, but with the word "OUYA" in it.

I know, it's a match made in heaven!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

theflyingorc posted:

I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that OnLive does not currently have an app that is loaded onto the OUYA store, even in a pre-production capacity.

There's actually a lot of reason to believe that OnLive is not even working on an app for OUYA at all at the moment. They did basically die, and the guy who runs OUYAForum also runs some OnLive website, has contacted the development team, and they basically said "uh...not really working on it right now".

Also OnLive still doesn't have anything resembling a sustainable business model.
They never ended up coming out with their iPad OnLive app either which they were demoing at different events with a universal wireless pad. All they released was an OnLive viewer app and like, a desktop simulator so you could use Microsoft Office.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Minecraft will also be on it.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Here's an Ouya forum post on the analog controllers. It's just like that video comparing the iPhone's touch screen to the Motorola Droid, only way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013

quote:

This is a backer unit; not a dev kit. Hopefully this is the glue issue. Just making a ruckus so folks are aware in case it isn't.

I don't think that's a glue issue here. No epoxy can able to do this!

• Locked thread