Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.
If they made the Twitch app functional I would have bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

If this thing ever makes it to retail, I might actually pick one up once it's on the clearance rack.
I'm sure I could find...some use for it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

everythingWasBees posted:

If this thing ever makes it to retail, I might actually pick one up once it's on the clearance rack.
I'm sure I could find...some use for it.

You can find paper weights for a lot less, you know. They even look better.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Janice? I love it! Thanks.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

Sankis posted:

That'd require people to actually make games for the OUYA, though!

The GP2X games that were available back then were pretty much on par with what is out there for OURFAVORITE right now. Mostly emulators and lovely homebrew indie stuff.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

limaCAT posted:

Requesting subforum Your Ouya Sucks.
:v:

YOUYASPOS

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013

bumblingbee posted:

The GP2X games that were available back then were pretty much on par with what is out there for OURFAVORITE right now. Mostly emulators and lovely homebrew indie stuff.

You mean like those pong clones, Pulplife Special Edition and... Cave Story? Why is it here?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
OUBLAGH crew, represent.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Even if the BLARGH never selfdestructs quite as gloriously as I want it to (Julie misdirects with graphs right up until the day she flys to a non-extradition country with suitcases full of filthy lucre and BTC wallet addresses), we have XBP, Aweful Dreams and this thread.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
I think I need to replace my Serious Sam gang tag...

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Rupang posted:

You mean like those pong clones, Pulplife Special Edition and... Cave Story? Why is it here?

God, the games for that system were so bad. Makes me remember that GTA clone that prided itself with having HDR on a handheld with a battery-life of barely 90 minutes at maximum.

Makes me wonder whether Uhrmann-Corp would have the boldness to release an OUYA-Mobile or some such...

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

bumblingbee posted:

Makes me wonder whether Uhrmann-Corp would have the boldness to release an OUYA-Mobile or some such...

Finally, you can play all those great OUYA games you know and love while on the go. Actually, I can imagine with the way the converted/gaming news sites have been eating up the spin that they'd get away with it. For a little while anyway.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Finally, you can play all those great OUYA games you know and love while on the go. Actually, I can imagine with the way the converted/gaming news sites have been eating up the spin that they'd get away with it. For a little while anyway.

Give it a link cable as the retro feature, bringing handheld gaming back to physical connections.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I love this tag so much. :allears:
Thank you for everyone who made this possible, especially you Xboxpants!

RIP Leon Budd. A true American hero :911:

TimeServ
Nov 26, 2006
So for all the chat about OUYA being open and hackable, I find this thread and blog post interesting.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Do you guys think they would hire me?

Edit: Had to improve the marketing value...

bumblingbee fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 13, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BobHoward posted:

It was Tegra2 which inexplicably lacked NEON. And to be fair, all SoCs using ARM's Cortex-A9 CPU have memory performance issues. The A9's L2 cache, external bus interface, and hardware prefetcher just aren't very good. The A15 is the first ARM-designed ARM core with a good memory interface.

You can coax decent performance out of NEON code on A9 with judicious application of software prefetch instructions and other forms of hand tuning, but if you just compile code and go, the results may not be great.

Ah, my bad. Was there some other instruction set the T3 was inexplicably missing that I'm getting confused with, or was I just totally wrong?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

TimeServ posted:

So for all the chat about OUYA being open and hackable, I find this thread and blog post interesting.
I'm sure most people saw this coming, but it would be nice if someone actually asked Julie in one of her media appearances why they're essentially pirating the kernel in their "open" console and why they've intentionally locked down the hardware

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

limaCAT posted:

Requesting subforum Your Ouya Sucks.
:v:

Just what we need; a console that gives you forum cancer.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

TimeServ posted:

This is the craziest thing to come out of all the bullshit Julie has said about the Ouya being completely hackable and open. Locked bootloaders and lack of kernel code means it's NOT.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
The OUYA is a gift that keeps on giving. I haven't had the time to check this thread since last week but I saw the controller story and the $15m stories pop up on Twitter. Coming back here and spending half an hour catching up on the last 10 pages got me smilin' again after a poo poo weekend.

So the OUYA is good for something at least. Nintendo should've bought that when they had the chance. Now they're stuck making profit and misery forever.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

w00tazn posted:

This is the craziest thing to come out of all the bullshit Julie has said about the Ouya being completely hackable and open. Locked bootloaders and lack of kernel code means it's NOT.

"Look, I asked my Tech Rockstars to put the rooting button on there and they did! It's hooked up to the flux circuit that allows for maximum game development :colbert:"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dieting Hippo posted:

"Look, I asked my Tech Rockstars to put the rooting button on there and they did! It's hooked up to the flux circuit that allows for maximum game development :colbert:"

The OUYA 2 will have a graphic know to allow you to tighten up the graphics on level 4. It'll range from "Retro indie darling" to "MAXIMUM".

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

"Oh man, did you hear, dude?! The OUYA's gonna have a 3D version of FF3! Freakin' Kefka and Terra and all that poo poo!"

"Wait..."

"Wait, what is this."

"..."

"I've made a huge mistake."

You forgot the next step.

"I now have to log on to the internet and defend this terrible mistake I made lest I be thought a fool."

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Remember when Lowtax banned everyone whose browser useragent string said they were using WebTV? Does Ouya have its own unique useragent string identity for OS or does it use a generic Android one?

lhl
May 13, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah, my bad. Was there some other instruction set the T3 was inexplicably missing that I'm getting confused with, or was I just totally wrong?

The Tegra 3 (as opposed to the Tegra 2, which was a POS) was pretty decent - it has full NEON and it performs on par w/ (but not better than) most other A9 parts, it was just not particularly inspiring and late to market. If you want to read a particularly negative take, check out SemiAccurate's writeups (Charlie hates Nvida). Nvidia's future roadmap looks pretty decent/aggressive and their Icera integration will shore up the biggest shortcoming, but it's undeniable that they've underdelivered two (arguably three) times already so a lot of their success will hinge on whether they can actually deliver on their promises.

BTW, I was just jumping in since I saw the links coming from SA (hey goons!) - I wrote the GPL request thread on the Ouya forums and that blog post. While it sucks that the Ouya isn't hackable in the throw Linux on the hardware sense, the Ouya is "open" compared to any of the existing consoles (and even Steam) in the sense that any developer can develop a game and put it in front of the audience w/ much lower barriers, on par w/ the Android and iOS stores, but with a few differences:

1) it's aimed specific at games/gamers and the rise of "Indie" games, which has matured/grown tremendously in the past few years, and (especially w/ their recent round of funding)

2) they are aiming for the "mass" market, which none of the older portable systems or Android TV sticks can really claim.

Even if they fail completely, I think the fact that they exist will spur competition and force others to be more indie dev friendly, which is a good thing, and if they succeed, they'll have created a new channel and helped fill a niche. (At $100 the Ouya is/will be one of the cheapest and most convenient ways to play a lot of these indie games in your living room - PC's are way more expensive and less convenient to plug and play (not to mention to buy/play non-Steam games), the Steam Box will be 5-10x more expensive because it needs a minimum level of performance to support core gamers (3D FPSes and the like), most Android sticks/phones aren't controller friendly, and the Apple TV isn't game friendly (yet, ever?))

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

lhl posted:

The Tegra 3 (as opposed to the Tegra 2, which was a POS) was pretty decent - it has full NEON and it performs on par w/ (but not better than) most other A9 parts, it was just not particularly inspiring and late to market. If you want to read a particularly negative take, check out SemiAccurate's writeups (Charlie hates Nvida). Nvidia's future roadmap looks pretty decent/aggressive and their Icera integration will shore up the biggest shortcoming, but it's undeniable that they've underdelivered two (arguably three) times already so a lot of their success will hinge on whether they can actually deliver on their promises.

BTW, I was just jumping in since I saw the links coming from SA (hey goons!) - I wrote the GPL request thread on the Ouya forums and that blog post. While it sucks that the Ouya isn't hackable in the throw Linux on the hardware sense, the Ouya is "open" compared to any of the existing consoles (and even Steam) in the sense that any developer can develop a game and put it in front of the audience w/ much lower barriers, on par w/ the Android and iOS stores, but with a few differences:

1) it's aimed specific at games/gamers and the rise of "Indie" games, which has matured/grown tremendously in the past few years, and (especially w/ their recent round of funding)

2) they are aiming for the "mass" market, which none of the older portable systems or Android TV sticks can really claim.

Even if they fail completely, I think the fact that they exist will spur competition and force others to be more indie dev friendly, which is a good thing, and if they succeed, they'll have created a new channel and helped fill a niche. (At $100 the Ouya is/will be one of the cheapest and most convenient ways to play a lot of these indie games in your living room - PC's are way more expensive and less convenient to plug and play (not to mention to buy/play non-Steam games), the Steam Box will be 5-10x more expensive because it needs a minimum level of performance to support core gamers (3D FPSes and the like), most Android sticks/phones aren't controller friendly, and the Apple TV isn't game friendly (yet, ever?))

Hellooo, it looks like our dynamic duo might become a trinity.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Every game on the OUYA is a steaming pile of poo poo covered in a wet drizzle of poo poo. If having a low barrier to entry causes this, then gently caress the OUYA. Besides, the big 3 and Steam are becoming 'indie friendly' so there's no reason to buy this shitbox. Also why does Julie keep talking about AAAAAAAAAA developers if this thing is an indie console. On that note, how can it be 'mass market' and 'indie at the same time.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 13, 2013

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

lhl posted:

The problem here is that a $100 device might be the cheapest, but how convenient is it to play when the controller doesn't work?

Also, I wonder how many of the 'latency' reports have actually been due to the pants-on-head crazy deadzones the UHUH joysticks have?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Lower barrier of entry means you can crap out a CS 101 assignment and put in on OUYA right? Because that's what the game Barley Break is on the OUYA. If that's the result of an open console market, I'd rather have a walled garden.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

lhl posted:

Even if they fail completely, I think the fact that they exist will spur competition

How? This feels like a lovely Ngage that can't make calls and isn't as portable. I have a phone that I've never used for gaming before that has better gaming options and capabilities than the Ouya.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Lower barrier of entry means you can crap out a CS 101 assignment and put in on OUYA right? Because that's what the game Barley Break is on the OUYA. If that's the result of an open console market, I'd rather have a walled garden.

Welcome to OUYA, thank you for believing.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

lhl posted:

If there was ever an appropriate time for that old meme quote by rawr, welp, here we are.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The competition will be a race to the bottom when the BIG THREE see the inevitable swarm of gamers surging to purchase the people's console. "Christ if they'll eat up poo poo like that then there's no point for us to try that hard to make a good console. I mean have you seen their controller?"

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

lhl posted:

While it sucks that the Ouya isn't hackable in the throw Linux on the hardware sense, the Ouya is "open" compared to any of the existing consoles (and even Steam)

Oh man, I can do numbered bulletpoint things too:

1) I'm dying here at the claim of GOOMBA being more open than a PC.

2) The irony in the statement that Steam is not as open, yet it works on Linux.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lhl posted:

Nothing about a failed "indie-friendly" console forces any other player to respond to anything. And while it's friendly in the low barrier to entry sense, it's very unfriendly in the earning enough money to live sense. The stuff Sony is doing for indie developers is the real meaning of being indie friendly. Yes, they only partner with a limited number of developers, but they promote the games and assist in ways that lead to real sales. The barrier to entry is quality, which is too bad for most of the Ouya's games.

As for being cheap and convenient, the issue with saying that an Ouya is $100 versus an iPad at $500 or a PC for even more, is that the other devices can do more than play crappy games. In reality you have to say that an Ouya costs $100 but a PC is free, because nearly everyone has a PC that can play these games. A cheap turd is still paying for a turd.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Love him or hate him, at least we can all hate JIGGABOO together.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Remember when Lowtax banned everyone whose browser useragent string said they were using WebTV? Does Ouya have its own unique useragent string identity for OS or does it use a generic Android one?
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android OUYA 4.1.2; en-us; OUYA Build/JZO54K-OUYA) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.30
:ssh:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Has anyone here had any luck in getting a refund out of Kickstarter, and if so how did you do it? My incredibly brief search turned up the Kickstarter terms and conditions where they say they won't give refunds but on the other hand I've seen the occasional person mention getting a refund in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
What, are you trying to get a refund on this?

I really don't think you're gonna have any luck with that now. Maybe you can talk to Ouya's support, but this is long out of Kickstarter's hands.

• Locked thread