Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

mcpringles posted:

I got my OUYAAA a few days ago. I bought it mostly to put in my bedroom to stream netflix/xmbc/run SNES & NES emulators.

The OS is slow and sometimes the images of games take forever to load. Whenever you download a game, you have to install it before you play, which brings up the same rights access menu from android ICS. There are only like 4 options in the system setting and if you open the advanced settings it opens the android ICS settings menu. I don't want to see the android OS at all. Text input is pretty terrible too.

The controller isn't bad, but I wasn't expecting much for the price of the system. The trackpad always gets pressed on accident and the mouse pointer stays on screen for way too long. Yesterday I didn't have any problems with the controller responsiveness. This morning I was playing Vector and the input was either really lagged or not responsive.

The games are mostly rear end and there isn't a good way to search/browse games. There are a few polished iOS games like Canabalt and Vector which are both pretty fun and look great on my TV. Some games aren't even widescreen.

The big three are doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

If the last page or so is any indication the BIG THREE never stood a chance against the OUYA's secret backer, BIG PHARMA.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Seems half of the purchases in this thread are due to sleep deprived drug fueled impulse buys.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

How is plugging in a HDMI cable and connecting any number of compatible controllers "less convenient"? And if you don't wanna drag your PC into the living room all the time most of us nerds have enough parts lying around to cobble together another system.

Well, now you're just hitting the PC vs Console argument. Consoles are just simpler, easier, and yes more convenient - to a computer enthusiast it may not be a big deal to build an extra computer, or to move your computer out to the TV. But some people see computers as way more complicated, and if they don't have a laptop moving a computer is a big deal for them. And even a computer enthusiast may not want to lug their big computer into the living room and replug in everything in just to relax in their recliner and play some games on their tv, when there are much more convenient alternatives made specifically for that purpose.

Or they have a spouse who objects to a computer in the living room or worse long HDMI cables leading from the computer into the living room (and that's assuming their computer has HDMI out - a lot of computers aimed at non-enthusiasts are built into their screens these days). And there is still a cost involved, if you want a console-like experience you'll want controllers, and that leads to another convenience issue, controlling this computer in your living room - you'll need to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse, and those aren't convenient to use from a recliner at all.

To some this may all seem melodramatic, but a *lot* of people choose consoles over PC's for gaming for these exact reasons.

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 13, 2013

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Cool Matty posted:

I have to say, that's pretty targeted. It has its own section promoted right at the top of the store.

is grumpy bears ever coming to the GLEN COCO

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Aweful Dreams posted:

Or they have a spouse who objects to a computer in the living room or worse long HDMI cables leading from the computer into the living room (and that's assuming their computer has HDMI out - a lot of computers aimed at non-enthusiasts are built into their screens these days). And there is still a cost involved, if you want a console-like experience you'll want controllers, and that leads to another convenience issue, controlling this computer in your living room - you'll need to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse, and those aren't convenient to use from a recliner at all.

To some this may all seem melodramatic, but a *lot* of people choose consoles over PC's for gaming for these exact reasons.

Have you not ever launched Big Screen Mode for Steam before?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aweful Dreams posted:

Well, now you're just hitting the PC vs Console argument. Consoles are just simpler, easier, and yes more convenient - to a computer enthusiast it may not be a big deal to build an extra computer, or to move your computer out to the TV. But some people see computers as way more complicated, and if they don't have a laptop moving a computer is a big deal for them. And even a computer enthusiast may not want to lug their big computer into the living room and replug in everything in just to relax in their recliner and play some games on their tv, when there are much more convenient alternatives made specifically for that purpose.

Most PCs are not built into monitors, only a rare few which are mostly macs and touchscreens; and most of those have HDMI out!

Oh no, I have to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse? Maybe you already own one and use those already? :confused: Not that unusual. Or if you want a controller, guess what? There isn't a console controller in existence that doesn't work with a PC. I don't get this argument whatsoever. "I have to buy a controller? Bah, no, gently caress that. Instead I'm going to buy a new system and a new controller." That doesn't make any loving sense. OUYA controllers aren't free.

Again, all of this is pretty moot when you consider android stick pcs that do everything OUYA does for cheaper. But we've already talked about all of this. Pants made all these arguments a long time ago and we all refuted them. Please read the last 300 pages before you continue. :doh:

You're XboxPants the second coming.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Louisgod posted:

Seems half of the purchases in this thread are due to sleep deprived drug fueled impulse buys.

I think that says more about us than it does the DETOX.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh no, I have to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse? Maybe you already own one and use those already? :confused: Not that unusual. Or if you want a controller, guess what? There isn't a console controller in existence that doesn't work with a PC. I don't get this argument whatsoever. "I have to buy a controller? Bah, no, gently caress that. Instead I'm going to buy a new system and a new controller." That doesn't make any loving sense. OUYA controllers aren't free.

Doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense to you, there are a couple hundred million people out there who prefer gaming on consoles over pc's, and I was listing a few of the biggest reasons for that.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
That's A Lot!

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Aweful Dreams posted:

my spouse isn't the one that objects to a long HDMI cable - I do, it's loving ugly and looks like lazy workmanship. Hide it in the wall with a faceplate, and run it out to the back of your tv. Duh?

Edit: Also, not sure what you're getting at. I prefer to use a console to game (my pc is for tv and movies), and still there's literally no reason I'd buy an OUYA.

Rocks fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 13, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

SkopeDog posted:

Did Julie's disembodied head command you to do it amidst the drug-addled haze?

That would be pretty impressive to start hallucinating from yogurt and Aleve.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm just imagining the person who has a computer who can't move it into the living room for whatever reason and has waited through the last console generation for whatever reason and will now get the Ouya because it's a bargain ($99!) and has great games (Minecraft!) and is also a console! They will say "Finally, after being forced to game at the desk for so many years, I can finally play games in the living room and I can call myself a real gamer, not the kind who hunches over the desk."

Or the person who did buy a console the last generation because they don't know their way around computers and are scared of breaking them, but will look at the next generation and shake their heads, then move to the Ouya because it offers them what they want. Everyone loved Journey right? Well, the co-founder of the studio that made Journey is now at Ouya, heading developer relations. I'm sure the expertise and talent she lent to crafting Journey and those other games will also make better games for the Ouya!

Or wait, no. Ouya is for the mainstream! I forgot about that. People who love Angry Birds will love the Ouya, which will not be the Angry Birds platform because it's only got a lovely touchpad, not a touchscreen, but they'll love it anyway because it runs on the same OS as phones do, and those phones have Angry Birds, but not Ouya because it's transcended Angry Birds with games like Visorman.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aweful Dreams posted:

Doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense to you, there are a couple hundred million people out there who prefer gaming on consoles over pc's, and I was listing a few of the biggest reasons for that.

:downsbravo:

This post is gold.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aweful Dreams posted:

A lot.

A lot.

60,000 / 100,000,000 = 0.06% of those people are relevant to this thread.

And you said a couple hundred million, so that's at best. How was this a good argument?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Aweful Dreams posted:

That's a lot of words to basically go "Nuh-uh!"

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Aweful Dreams posted:

Or they have a spouse who objects to a computer in the living room or worse long HDMI cables leading from the computer into the living room

The ol' ball and chain is keeping me from reaching my true gaming potential again :sigh:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Aweful Dreams posted:

They can buy a PS2 for like $50 and get better games, then.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Aweful Dreams posted:

Well, now you're just hitting the PC vs Console argument. Consoles are just simpler, easier, and yes more convenient

Now hold up. How are the current consoles more convenient than a PC? If we're talking about patches on games, then PC beats console in that convenience since Steam and other platforms on the PC have automatic patching on your games. While on the consoles. If a game needs a patch; you have to download, install the patch, and if you choose to not download that patch while connected to internet, you can't play your game until you install the patch. Please do not take this as me hating on the consoles.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Taciturn Tactician posted:

They can buy a PS2 for like $50 and get better games, then.

Well, good luck getting KIM SWIFT OF AIRTIGHT GAMES or TIM SCHAFFER OF DOUBLE FINE or MINECRAFT or TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE or TV EXCLUSIVES on your PS2.

:smug:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
^^^^^^^^^
Have you forgotten? The PS2 version of Psychonauts is a PS2 exclusive!

ZTeamIsDead posted:

Now hold up. How are the current consoles more convenient than a PC? If we're talking about patches on games, then PC beats console in that convenience since Steam and other platforms on the PC have automatic patching on your games. While on the consoles. If a game needs a patch; you have to download, install the patch, and if you choose to not download that patch while connected to internet, you can't play your game until you install the patch. Please do not take this as me hating on the consoles.

Consoles have gotten a bit more complicated with patches and whatnot, but "Does game have your consoles logo on the case Y/N" is the only system requirement. Even people who are 100% computer illiterate can understand that.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

^^^^^^^^^
Consoles have gotten a bit more complicated with patches and whatnot, but "Does game have your consoles logo on the case Y/N" is the only system requirement. Even people who are 100% computer illiterate can understand that.

True, I will give credit to the consoles that all you need for the system requirements to play a console game is the logo on the case.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Don't forget the gold standard, the Nintendo Seal of Quality.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ZTeamIsDead posted:

True, I will give credit to the consoles that all you need for the system requirements to play a console game is the logo on the case.

Unless they require the Kinect or Move, of course.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

trunkwontopen posted:

When I ordered my Ouya, I was on Activia and naproxen.

Jamie Lee Curtis is involved too? How far down does the RABBITHOLE go?!

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 13, 2013

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

everythingWasBees posted:

Unless they require the Kinect or Move, of course.

Or HD space on an XBOX model that doesn't have an HD

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

Perhaps you could call it by its name instead of this horribly unfunny tired gimmick poo poo and then people wouldn't be posting all caps racial slurs in a videogame thread.

There are so many incredibly funny things about the OUYA and everything surrounding it that it's really unfortunate that people have to wade through pages of the same stupid catchphrases being pasted over and over in this thread to get to them. I mean, being the 75th person to cackle and post "a lot. A lot. Maximum hahaha" in response to Xboxpants isn't really making it any funnier or more interesting or informative.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Super Rad posted:

Or HD space on an XBOX model that doesn't have an HD

Do any 360 game absolutely require that?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zaphod42 posted:

Or, as has been mentioned in this thread like ten trillion times already, you can buy an Xbox 360 controller, which works natively with your PC, an Xbox if you have one or even intend to buy one, and... wait for it... Android! Oh, and they cost less than a loving ouya controller.

Uncle Jam posted:

People know that you can find games at the Google Play store because its loving called 'Play' you silly poo poo.

Maybe he's confused because it's not titled something obscure like "DISCOVER" or "SEE ME".

Argas posted:

Or wait, no. Ouya is for the mainstream! I forgot about that. People who love Angry Birds will love the Ouya, which will not be the Angry Birds platform because it's only got a lovely touchpad, not a touchscreen, but they'll love it anyway because it runs on the same OS as phones do, and those phones have Angry Birds, but not Ouya because it's transcended Angry Birds with games like Visorman.

It's even funnier because since windows phone apps work on Windows 8, you can still actually use your PC to play Angry Birds.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Gutcruncher posted:

Christ nowadays the cases are color coded. I have a Wii and a Xbox, I can play the games that come in the white and green cases. Boom. No issue.

I have a Ouya, I can play... Well let's fantasize for a moment and imagine they make it to Ouya 3. I have a Ouya 2, I can play Ouya 1 and Ouya 2 games, but my cousins has a Kickstarter Limited Edition Ouya 1 so he can only play...

Oh and there are no games because it's not a sustainable ecosystem at this time and never will develop into one.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I have a Ouya 2, I can play Ouya 1 and Ouya 2 games,

Backwards compatibility is a modern big 3 gimmick, you didn't play SNES games on your N64 back in the glory days after all.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

Argas posted:

I'm just imagining the person who has a computer who can't move it into the living room for whatever reason and has waited through the last console generation for whatever reason and will now get the Ouya because it's a bargain ($99!) and has great games (Minecraft!) and is also a console! They will say "Finally, after being forced to game at the desk for so many years, I can finally play games in the living room and I can call myself a real gamer, not the kind who hunches over the desk."

Or the person who did buy a console the last generation because they don't know their way around computers and are scared of breaking them, but will look at the next generation and shake their heads, then move to the Ouya because it offers them what they want. Everyone loved Journey right? Well, the co-founder of the studio that made Journey is now at Ouya, heading developer relations. I'm sure the expertise and talent she lent to crafting Journey and those other games will also make better games for the Ouya!

Yeah, but just think if the Ouya got angry birds. Everyone would buy it because you just can't play angry birds on current consoles.
http://www.ign.com/games/angry-birds/xbox-360-88826

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
So someone somewhere said that the ouya will thrive because PCs are BIG AND SCARY and I blacked out for a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only way to have even known about an ouya to have had a PC during the kickstarter nonsense? Are there a lot of television commercials I haven't been seeing for it? How are these gaming hobos even supposed to know about the ouya without a PC or by having internet on their phone (which would perform better than an ouya)?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

jalopybrown posted:

Backwards compatibility is a modern big 3 gimmick, you didn't play SNES games on your N64 back in the glory days after all.

A-HEM. :colbert:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristar_64

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Pesterchum posted:

So someone somewhere said that the ouya will thrive because PCs are BIG AND SCARY and I blacked out for a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only way to have even known about an ouya to have had a PC during the kickstarter nonsense? Are there a lot of television commercials I haven't been seeing for it? How are these gaming hobos even supposed to know about the ouya without a PC or by having internet on their phone (which would perform better than an ouya)?

Judge Julie spent the majority of the Kickstarter money inventing and building a device to beam adverts directly into your brain. Right about now you should be getting the urge to buy a pair of bright red underpants. And Visorman.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Judge Julie spent the majority of the Kickstarter money inventing and building a device to beam adverts directly into your brain. Right about now you should be getting the urge to buy a pair of bright red underpants. And Visorman.

Does it only work if I'm dreaming through ambien?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

illiniguy01 posted:

Yeah, but just think if the Ouya got angry birds. Everyone would buy it because you just can't play angry birds on current consoles.
http://www.ign.com/games/angry-birds/xbox-360-88826

Can't play it on a computer either

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aweful Dreams posted:

Do you have something to back up the 'couple hundred million' figure apart from purchase numbers? I have an XBox and PS3 and just built a HTPC to go with the raspberry pi, so I'm going to 3-4 of those numbers.

I taught a guy who's a roofer how to build a PC back in 2005. He's just finished a ridiculously complicated water-cooled build. And he's a roofer.

I get that some people don't have the money or aptitude, but you're looking at a very slight intersection between people that don't own a phone and want to play games on their TV. Best numbers we have for Ouya demand are the 64,000 'preorders'.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm going to end up with one then. Sleep deprived impulse buys are way too common for me. :ohdear:

Although that's for things I actually want, so I guess there's no real risk of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pesterchum posted:

I made this graphic in the fine tradition of OUYA. Call it their market analysis:

Yeah they're gonna have full penetration in that submarket. Hold on to your hat, hand-held poker machine and phone timewasting games!

• Locked thread