Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cacator posted:

But they're still supposed to be movie posters representing movies. Maybe the TWBB one is the least like a traditional poster, but why have the title take up so much space if it's completely illegible?

Seriously, the letters in the title don't even look like letters. At least, not Latin script anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I like everything about that poster except the title. Is it the same artist whose designs have been posted before and all have that ridiculously ornate and unreadable text?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really like that Boogie Nights one. I would never hang it on my wall, but it perfectly captures that movies tone.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
It's like my screen's come alive

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

All we are is blood in the wind... :banjo:

I'd listen to the poo poo out of country/bluegrass metal.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Decided to look up some alternate posters for one of my favorite movies of all time. Boy do I regret it.

This one physically hurts to look at:

This one I actually kinda like:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Noxville posted:

I like everything about that poster except the title. Is it the same artist whose designs have been posted before and all have that ridiculously ornate and unreadable text?

Yep.

Real shame about the TWBB title, it's a really nice poster otherwise. I might still try to get it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ahh yes, "Juidsic Rirh", one of my childhood favorites.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Friends Are Evil posted:

There Will Be Blood by Aaron Horkey.

I really like this one, evokes old bonds. I do agree he went off the deep end with the title typography but it's not too far off of something like this.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Ez posted:

This one I actually kinda like:

That was actually used with the release of the film. I like the more well-known one better though, maybe because the approach is, I guess you'd call it classical, while the above is clearly 70s graphic design. For reference:

Also... there's a poster right now on IMPAwards that I just outright will not post. All I'll say is, stay far, far away from any theater showing it.:suicide:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

aga. posted:

I really like this one, evokes old bonds. I do agree he went off the deep end with the title typography but it's not too far off of something like this.

I agree, usually this guy's typography is unforgivable but whether or not it's coincidental, it actually suits the poster... this time. When do they go on sale?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

aga. posted:

The sense of style fits, but just compare the letter 'B' on the poster. That is not a loving B.

And because I'm that kind of person, I have to point out that the word "the" on the banner on the bottom is on the opposite side of the other words.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Legibility has never been a requirement of artistic typography.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Friends Are Evil posted:

Punch-Drunk Love by Jordan Crane.

This sucks. I think I remember Sandler getting punched out, but it's definitely not an evocative image for the movie.
The 60's style art has nothing to do with anything. Something could have evoked those strange moving light painting that were plopped about instead of a random inserted look.

Even a minimalism poster depicting a wrecked bathroom hand dryer or a pudding cup would be a ton better.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 14, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Ez posted:

Decided to look up some alternate posters for one of my favorite movies of all time. Boy do I regret it.

Ha I like this one.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

This sucks. I think I remember Sandler getting punched out, but it's definitely not an evocative image for the movie.
The 60's style art has nothing to do with any style presented in Punch Drunk Love. Something could have evoked those strange moving light painting that were plopped about instead of a random inserted look.

Even a minimalism poster depicting a wrecked bathroom hand dryer or a pudding cup would be a ton better.

I've never seen Punch Drunk Love, but that beautiful poster makes me really want to. Are you telling me a hypothetical half-assed minimalist poster depicting an object out of context has more artistic merit and more advertising influence than genuinely good art?

Here are my favorite movie posters:

I like this poster because it presents a somewhat scientific illustration of "nature" along with the quote "nature is satan's church" and the title "Antichrist" and expects you to connect the dots. It's smart, good looking, and representative of the movie it advertises.

I like this poster because it's an evocative, striking image. Jodie Foster with a moth symbolically silencing her, and the moth is composed of naked women forming a skull. The colors are good too, it's not just a photograph of Foster with the moth superimposed over it.

For those of you who object to the practice of making a poster that's simply an object with some importance to the film's plot, here's another Antichrist poster that pretty much spells out the climax of the movie symbolically.

Close the scissors to connect the faces in a kiss, and the clitoris of the symbolic vagina formed by the blood trail and the scissor blades is severed.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 14, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

I've never seen Punch Drunk Love, but that beautiful poster makes me really want to. Are you telling me a hypothetical half-assed minimalist poster depicting an object out of context has more artistic merit and more advertising influence than genuinely good art?

Well it wouldnt be good, but it would be remotely related. I'm just using that to express how non-evocative the tone of this poster is. If it's attracting you, you won't see any of that in the movie.

You should see it. My favorite PTA :)

edit:
I've always loved this image.

edit 2: I think this might be the best poster for Antichrist.

Love the rating description right there in the middle with the title.
e: Though it'd only ever work as a preview poster.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 14, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Speaking of Silence of the Lambs, apparently this was a thing too:

Also :effort:

scary ghost dog posted:

Here are my favorite movie posters:

I like this poster because it presents a somewhat scientific illustration of "nature" along with the quote "nature is satan's church" and the title "Antichrist" and expects you to connect the dots. It's smart, good looking, and representative of the movie it advertises.
Nitpicking probably but I'd prefer if the tagline wasn't in quotes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Why do so many old posters put taglines and random words in quotes anyway?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Stare-Out posted:

Also :effort:

Nitpicking probably but I'd prefer if the tagline wasn't in quotes.

:effort:? Why? I like the composition on the photo, simple and eerie, if not...well,scary considering that there it is Hannibal Lecter creeping from behind.

I would love to have all three posters in my wall.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why do so many old posters put taglines and random words in quotes anyway?

I'd guess they want a line from the movie to be iconic and anticipated for people before they see it, as opposed to a byline.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

:effort:? Why? I like the composition on the photo, simple and eerie, if not...well,scary considering that there it is Hannibal Lecter creeping from behind.

I would love to have all three posters in my wall.
I'm pretty sure that's just a publicity photo they slapped the text on to, but it doesn't really seem too creepy to me. Kudos to them for using the actual actors in a poster though and for the lack of floating heads.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Robert Denby posted:

That was actually used with the release of the film. I like the more well-known one better though, maybe because the approach is, I guess you'd call it classical, while the above is clearly 70s graphic design. For reference:

Also... there's a poster right now on IMPAwards that I just outright will not post. All I'll say is, stay far, far away from any theater showing it.:suicide:

Oh come on, The Lone Ranger isn't going to be that bad.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Tewratomeh posted:

Ahh yes, "Juidsic Rirh", one of my childhood favorites.

Dude, don't make fun of Wassi Claw. It's every bit as good as Hord Pings: Cretorn Iginc.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
hahaha, all I can think of when I see that Silence of the Lambs poster with Lecter behind Starling is "GREAT THINGS COME IN BEARS". My mind is deep in the gutter. :smith:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit 2: I think this might be the best poster for Antichrist.

Love the rating description right there in the middle with the title.
e: Though it'd only ever work as a preview poster.

No, you're wrong.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Stare-Out posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a publicity photo they slapped the text on to, but it doesn't really seem too creepy to me. Kudos to them for using the actual actors in a poster though and for the lack of floating heads.

I guess that's what I'm actually liking, that they managed to get the actors together,and it's not the usual Frankenstein's monsters composed of different body parts...sometimes not even from the real actors.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The guy who did that illustrated Antichrist poster, David D'Andrea, is brilliant.
He does incredible posters for a lot of slower metal bands.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Frostwerks posted:

Oh come on, The Lone Ranger isn't going to be that bad.

Looks pretty crummy to me. My favourite bit is probably how the brown filter has even turned the blue sky behind the actor's heads into a kinda washed out grey-brown. Its so bland, goddamn. It baffles me that we have an overcrowded design industry and we still get stuff like this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What's the deal with that one anyway? Wasn't that due to come out a year ago?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Red Bones posted:

It baffles me that we have an overcrowded design industry and we still get stuff like this.

Because the bad design choices are likely instructed to be made by not designers but studios employing said designers.

Johnny Depp as Tonto looks... really bad. And I still like the Pirate movies.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

What's the deal with that one anyway? Wasn't that due to come out a year ago?

Originally it was going to be mega-budget blockbuster about the Lone Ranger hunting werewolves, then John Carter flopped and they rebooted production to make it more grounded. They only just started filming last year, but they somehow managed to release a teaser last summer.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Originally it was going to be mega-budget blockbuster about the Lone Ranger hunting werewolves, then John Carter flopped and they rebooted production to make it more grounded. They only just started filming last year, but they somehow managed to release a teaser last summer.

New trailer made it seem cool, got a revenge/clear out the political corruption vibe, which is what the Lone Ranger should be about imo.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ez posted:

I'm pretty sure this one was used at some point during it's original run but with the tagline "see the movie or we will the horse"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

I'm pretty sure this one was used at some point during it's original run but with the tagline "see the movie or we will the horse"

You're thinking of the classic National Lampoon cover with the dog, which is in the same vein.

However, I'm fairly certain that Carl Reiner, dressed as a medieval executioner, does hang a horse in that movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If I also remember correctly, production was shut down at one point because it went over budget.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
New official Catching Fire poster. Click to embiggen.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Aatrek posted:

New official Catching Fire poster. Click to embiggen.

Wow, that's really nice. I like the somewhat subtle eagle in the clouds. It looks like something I could buy on a collectors plate off the TV at 1:30am.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't tell if I genuinely dislike the papery filter or if it's been programmed into me by fan minimalist posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ez posted:

I like the somewhat subtle eagle in the clouds.

Mockingjay.

MikeJF posted:

I can't tell if I genuinely dislike the papery filter or if it's been programmed into me by fan minimalist posters.

It looks more like cracking paint to me.