Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

"White" is not some sort of racial neutral area, it is not a race-free blank slate that we imprint other races onto under the premise that it doesn't really make a difference.
Sure, it isn't actually that, but it is that to most white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

We already had a black Sue Storm and white Johnny Storm in the movies

Jessica Alba isn't black

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

TetsuoTW posted:

Sure, it isn't actually that, but it is that to most white people.
I agree. The only people who look at white people and don't see a distinct racial identity are other white people. And people who do see the ethnic/social distinctions-- as in, people of color -- are the ones advocating all-out for representation, period, by any means, despite the uncomfortable implications of race-swapping.

And maybe they're right! Maybe this is exactly what should be done. At least everyone's getting what they want, right? Except racists I guess, and who cares about them. :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wandle Cax posted:

Jessica Alba isn't black
Oh good to know. Thanks.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Oh good to know. Thanks.

Like, I don't know if you're being flippant and you think she's part black or something, but she's French Canadian/Mexican.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Superstring posted:

Like, I don't know if you're being flippant and you think she's part black or something, but she's French Canadian/Mexican.

Not that it matters, but I thought she was half black too.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I really don't know how much of it has to do with racism, and how much it has to do with just being hardcore nerds. Does anybody remember when they cast Daniel Craig as Bond, and the shitstorm that came from it because he was blonde? And there was a lot of bitching about Jackman being too tall, and Danzig should have been cast because he just looked SO MUCH like Wolverine. Nerds don't give a poo poo about acting abilities, they give a poo poo about how much the actor looks like what's on the page or in their heads. Because nerds are awful people that would ruin everything if they were in charge.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I agree. The only people who look at white people and don't see a distinct racial identity are other white people. And people who do see the ethnic/social distinctions-- as in, people of color -- are the ones advocating all-out for representation, period, by any means, despite the uncomfortable implications of race-swapping.

And maybe they're right! Maybe this is exactly what should be done. At least everyone's getting what they want, right? Except racists I guess, and who cares about them. :v:
I think it's more a matter of "you've got to start somewhere." It'd be fantastic if we were at a point where the race of the actor/character was just another characterization consideration, and where movies weren't written from the "white=default" perspective, but right now I feel like it's maybe more important just to demonstrate to Hollywood that POC major characters aren't some kind of kiss of death to a film's viability.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Officer Farva posted:

I really don't know how much of it has to do with racism, and how much it has to do with just being hardcore nerds.
Sometimes I wonder if there's even a difference.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Gatts posted:

I want to know when this guy is going to be cast in a American movie. Dude is already a great actor, dancer, looks like a star, etc. Like a Hugh Jackman. He can do drama, romance, comedy, it all. Dude already played a superhero in Bollywood and got jacked like heck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeWBKvd7QHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gHKOU_JAjw

EDIT: He looks like could be Clark Kent/Superman.

He's a great dancer but an iffy actor, imo.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

DNS posted:

He's a great dancer but an iffy actor, imo.

I can get that. He's more of a star and in Bollywood the bigger ones like Shah-Rukh have a style they gravitate towards.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Officer Farva posted:

I really don't know how much of it has to do with racism, and how much it has to do with just being hardcore nerds. Does anybody remember when they cast Daniel Craig as Bond, and the shitstorm that came from it because he was blonde? And there was a lot of bitching about Jackman being too tall, and Danzig should have been cast because he just looked SO MUCH like Wolverine. Nerds don't give a poo poo about acting abilities, they give a poo poo about how much the actor looks like what's on the page or in their heads. Because nerds are awful people that would ruin everything if they were in charge.

It's institutional racism. Look at popular culture - the overwhelming majority of it has white characters. Why? Because that's the default choice for most authors/creators, whether it's because they are white or they're told that their characters need to be white for mass appeal, or they were created during periods when racism was more overt.

As a result, you have a HUGE swath of iconic literary characters (in this case, comic book characters) that are white. It's a self-perpetuating cycle wherein the only way to actively fight it is to recast movie representations of those characters in another race. Most of the time it doesn't make a lick of difference as to what race a character is. The times it does, sure, stick with their race. But that's rare.

So even if fans who get angry about race-swapping are doing it for non-racist reasons, they're supporting racism whether they know it or not.

And honestly, some characters could be far more interesting in a different race. Making Captain America African-American, for example, could have some really interesting thematic implications. Yes, I know they did this already in the comics, I don't want to argue about whether or not that particular implementation was good. Comic writing is bad in general so a single example can't be used to generalize if race-swapping is a good idea.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Making Steve Rogers an immigrant who gained citizenship to fight and lead in WWII would be cool. Though if he was involved in WWII era it'd be a cool statement if Captain America was accepted by American society as a torchbearer for racial relations being black in the Marvel Universe...but at that time I imagine white people wouldn't have taken to him as universally. Which still could lead to some good stories. We at least got the Truth series.On the other hand for someone like Spider-man it is fitting if it is Miles Morales who gets the powers and becomes a hero.

When DC rebooted their universe they had a great shot at going "Hm. If we were to create our heroes today maybe we can use modern, progressive sensibilities." and might have in the case of Batwoman and Alan Scott (as crappy as some might have been handled) being gay but I don't really know how else they moved things forward.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Yup.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
God help me, I'm actually looking forward to an X-Men movie again.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gatts posted:

Making Steve Rogers an immigrant who gained citizenship to fight and lead in WWII would be cool. Though if he was involved in WWII era it'd be a cool statement if Captain America was accepted by American society as a torchbearer for racial relations being black in the Marvel Universe...but at that time I imagine white people wouldn't have taken to him as universally. Which still could lead to some good stories. We at least got the Truth series.On the other hand for someone like Spider-man it is fitting if it is Miles Morales who gets the powers and becomes a hero.

When DC rebooted their universe they had a great shot at going "Hm. If we were to create our heroes today maybe we can use modern, progressive sensibilities." and might have in the case of Batwoman and Alan Scott (as crappy as some might have been handled) being gay but I don't really know how else they moved things forward.

Marvel deserves a tiny bit of credit by trying to do some of what I talked about in their Ultimate Universe. Nick Fury and Miles Morales really being the only major race changes though.

DC didn't really "reboot" their universe in any real capacity. It was a publicity stunt without any substantive thought about anything other than costumes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

You probably should be given that for all the weaknesses First Class had it was cohesive and engaging in a way neither X3 or Wolverine were. Its going to be a wild ride though given the plot is the Future Past storyline so either its going to be awesome or yet another muddled mess where people bitch about timelines and other meaningless comic book effluvium.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

They did a great job making Beast look older there. I wonder if this is a flashback to before he got all blue? Knowing Singer this is going to be wonky as hell and I'll love every second of it.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I thought that was James Marsden for a second.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

DNS posted:

I thought that was James Marsden for a second.

So did I but then thought he looked too young. Perhaps he will pull double duty as Cyclops!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gatts posted:

So did I but then thought he looked too young. Perhaps he will pull double duty as Cyclops!

They need to get Armie Hammer as Cyclops, damnit.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

which x-man is the guy standing next to hugh jackman? The only bell he's ringing is that gangly scientist guy from first class, but he turned into a blue lion before the end of that movie.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Red Bones posted:

which x-man is the guy standing next to hugh jackman? The only bell he's ringing is that gangly scientist guy from first class, but he turned into a blue lion before the end of that movie.

It's absolutely that same actor, so they're either doing an alternate universe thing/this is somehow before his lionization (heh)/he found a way to switch between looks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hewlett posted:

It's absolutely that same actor, so they're either doing an alternate universe thing/this is somehow before his lionization (heh)/he found a way to switch between looks.

Its the alternate universe thing. The plotline of Days of Future Past is about preventing a possible future from existing and heavily relys on Wolverine. Whether he'll be a big player in this movie or not is up for debate but that picture could lead to good things.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Jay Dub posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Red Bones posted:

The camera is focused on Jackman in that shot, the other guy could just be there (and out of makeup) to deliver his lines and give Jackman someone to actually talk to for the scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

The camera is focused on Jackman in that shot, the other guy could just be there (and out of makeup) to deliver his lines and give Jackman someone to actually talk to for the scene.

Why would he be dressed like that then?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Rhyno posted:

Maybe he's just very unfashionable.

Edit: or fashionable? Is the 60s in at the moment?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Holy poo poo guys. Two seconds on the internet is all it takes to know that's Nicholas Hoult, the dude who played Hank in the first one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Could just be what he wore to set that day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

Could just be what he wore to set that day.

Well that isn't his natural hair and he doesn't wear glasses. Kind of doubt it's just what he wore.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Well that isn't his natural hair and he doesn't wear glasses. Kind of doubt it's just what he wore.

Ah, okay. I never seen Hoult in anything else, or really watched any cast interviews from First Class, so I had no idea he didn't normally look like that.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

I have no idea what is going on in any of the shots from this movie, and I think I love it that way. Could this be the first comic book Best Picture winner?

"Look at me, I'm big gay Logan."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rirse posted:

This was from two pages ago, but when did they confirmed Jimmy Olsen is a girl in Man of Steel?

There is a character named Jenny Olsen in Man of Steel. Pretty sure she's a photographer for the Daily Planet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gyges posted:

There is a character named Jenny Olsen in Man of Steel. Pretty sure she's a photographer for the Daily Planet.

Maybe she'll die horrible and pass her camera on to her younger brother.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Who is also named Jenny Olsen?

Will she die by getting turned into a robot? Or a monkey? Or a bottle of pop? (In which Superman unknowingly drinks)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is the new Spidey movie being done by a different crew? It appears to be completely different from the last movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ASM was supposedly reamed in test screenings for trying to be all about Peter's parents and mysterious destiny and the like and suffered a hasty editing job. The final cut was mostly praised for integrating the long-standing lessons of post-1980s Spider-man--especially Ultimate Spider-man--and y'know, having a Spider-man with a sense of humor.

It looks like they took those praises to heart because everything I've seen from the villains to the costuming thus far screams "We're going with Ultimate Spidey" and that is by far the right call to make.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

And he gets turned into Turtle Boy immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I just rewatched Man on the Moon so I can't stop hearing Tony Clifton when I see these pictures of Paul Giamatti.

• Locked thread