Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Palpek posted:

Oh come on man it was Aweful Dreams saying that.

I was just saying that hardware-wise the Xios DS isn't particularly better suited to media playback than the OUYA. I don't believe the OUYA is better for XBMC, not in its current software state (considering XBMC isn't even out for it yet, just a sideloaded beta). But yes, that's a common statement about the OUYA all over the internet, "even if it sucks, at least it'll be a great media device!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
How much have you spent making the game? How many games do you have to sell to make your money back?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Dreamzle posted:

Sales suck - I only have 5 sales, but then the OUYA is try before you buy, and the OUYA controllers that have been shipping made my game horrible to play. I only just published the update today that makes the game at least playable with those. Also, who knows how many units have actually been received, the OUYA shipping didn't seem to reach decent numbers until just the last week or two. As for downloads for the last couple weeks, well 3 of my 5 sales happened just in the last few days, so it seems as if systems are finally arriving in people's hands. My downloads increased from 10-20 per day to wildly changing 20-100 per day over the last couple weeks, but also realize that I released the game's trailer last week so that'll affect things.

How does the new version deal with the bad controllers?

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013

illiniguy01 posted:

How much have you spent making the game? How many games do you have to sell to make your money back?

I'd put the development budget at around $20,000. I'd need to sell around 6000 copies to break even.

Dreamzle fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 15, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dreamzle posted:

I'd put the development budget at around $20,000. I'd need to sell around 6000 copies to break even.

So about a 10% penetration of the Kickstarter buyer userbase :unsmith:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Your game looks like one of the things you'd get on a shareware CD 12 years ago. That was my initial impression after watching the trailer for five seconds, and also my impression after watching the whole thing. Why would I want to pay for something like that, let alone waste any time at all playing it?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

FrozenVent posted:

So about a 10% penetration of the Kickstarter buyer userbase :unsmith:

Or, as it stands now, around a 200% penetration of the OUYA owner userbase.

Also I'm sorry Dreamzle but your game looks like poo poo.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh Dreamzle, your game looks and sounds terrible. How much are you charging for the game and are you aware the Ouya won't pay you any money for sales unless you top $150?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Dreamzle posted:

You're right that the game has instant acceleration if you jump your stick to the extremes, but it does have full analogue control of your speed based on how far you move the stick (although that's one of the things that doesn't work very well with the buggy OUYA controllers). From my experiments the gameplay was too fast to make the ship accelerate to full speed like that, I wanted the player to feel like they were in full control and could move or turn on a dime. And the ship doesn't stop instantly, though its deceleration is really fast.

As for the sliding box puzzles, since the whole idea of the game is "top-down space shooter mixed with Zelda", that's what I was aiming for :) But note that there really isn't a lot of those puzzles in the game, just enough to keep the gameplay varied and interesting.

For box explosions being too anemic, check this one out - it was a bug, but I loved it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLJo8kk1W5g
You've been reading the Analog Stick State-of-the-World thread as well, just use this trick to sort it out:
Without:

With:

Post: http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/comment/11503/#Comment_11503

Also I can't wait to hear some of your answers to OUYA questions. If you're the same dreamzle I see all the time on the other forums we're in for a wild ride :allears:

Madcosby posted:

Oh Dreamzle, your game looks and sounds terrible. How much are you charging for the game and are you aware the Ouya won't pay you any money for sales unless you top $150?
Don't forget the 30% cut.

edit: By the way contribute some info for this download & sales data. It's a pet project.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

Dreamzle posted:

Ouch

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013

Parallax Scroll posted:

How does the new version deal with the bad controllers?
Someone on the OUYA development forum made a filter to the analogue inputs which kind-of fakes some of the dead zones - basically it takes the working areas in the input and scales the results of those areas as if those working areas extended all the way to the edge of the actual joystick. It's a kind of calibration that happens as you move the stick, so the more you play the more accurate it feels. I also scaled the input manually so it would reach 1.0/-1.0, even when the analogue stick isn't reporting getting that far (this was the worst problem with my game, I basically multiply your speed by how far you are pressing the analogue stick, so you could never fly at full speed with broken controllers).

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Dreamzle posted:

:catstare:

Uh good luck with that I guess

Dec 26, 2012

Hey, I haven't watched any videos other than the initial one posted about it in these threads but besides the aforementioned everything I recall the sound being impressively annoying. Maybe get some less obnoxious music? Thanks in advance (not that it matters because I'll never play an OUYA exclusive).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dreamzle posted:

How are you handling the "Must be free to try" bit? Is it time-locked before you hit the paywall or can you play out to a certain level or what?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Dreamzle posted:

Uhhh, why did you spend $20,000 making this? You're not going to sell 6000 copies, maybe if you're really lucky as gently caress you'll sell 60.

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013

Inspector_71 posted:

How are you handling the "Must be free to try" bit? Is it time-locked before you hit the paywall or can you play out to a certain level or what?

I wanted the player to get a feeling of the Zelda-style exploration in the game, so what I did was make it so that the third level that you can go into pops up a pay wall when you do so, and you need the item in that level to advance much farther.

And yeah, I was considering the 30% charge in my 6000 units to break even number, and the $150 minimum doesn't mean anything to me, if my financial situation became so bad that I really needed that less-than-$150 value, I'd already be screwed :) What affects me more is the fact that they save up a month's sales and pay you the *next* month, so for example if my game became a hot seller all of a sudden and sold 10,000 copies by the end of May, I wouldn't get a check until the end of June or maybe July.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it
Are there any OUYA gameplay videos that don't look like hot garbage?

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
What did you spend that $20,000 on?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Some dude on the OUYA site posted:

I thought this issue could be fixed by software update...
I will not replace the controller, because it hurts OUYA's finance.
If the issues are really fixed on the retail one, I will buy it in addition.
OUYA is not only their business, but also our business.

I don't even...

what the gently caress is this? Cults talk like this.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$20,000?
I'm not even going to say anything mean to you. Goonspeed, dude.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do you have expectations that the game will sell 10,000 units? 20,000? More?

How many sales do you think the games that are considered top tier titles are getting?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Unless Ouya takes no cut of the marketplace, he thinks he's going to sell 6000 copies of this at $5/pop.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Dreamzle posted:

I wanted the player to get a feeling of the Zelda-style exploration in the game, so what I did was make it so that the third level that you can go into pops up a pay wall when you do so, and you need the item in that level to advance much farther.

And yeah, I was considering the 30% charge in my 6000 units to break even number, and the $150 minimum doesn't mean anything to me, if my financial situation became so bad that I really needed that less-than-$150 value, I'd already be screwed :) What affects me more is the fact that they save up a month's sales and pay you the *next* month, so for example if my game became a hot seller all of a sudden and sold 10,000 copies by the end of May, I wouldn't get a check until the end of June or maybe July.

Ice Rage, one of the most popular "OUYA exclusive" games out there, has 17 sales. I don't think you're thinking rationally at all.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Red_Mage posted:

I don't even...

what the gently caress is this? Cults talk like this.

"Holding business accountable for their actions could cause them to take full responsibility and die. We can't let that happen in order to battle the BIG THREE, so to win our battle, we must make sacrifices to keep OUYA, Inc. alive"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
He will never see a dime from Julie.

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Uhhh, why did you spend $20,000 making this? You're not going to sell 6000 copies, maybe if you're really lucky as gently caress you'll sell 60.

It's a gamble, the whole starting a company thing is a gamble. I personally think when it launches in retail the OUYA, despite its flaws, could sell decent numbers, at least at first, and yes I bet big on it :) And if it doesn't work out, I can always port the game over to PC, I didn't throw ALL my chips on the table.

I think my game could end up getting a decent sell through percentage, because I specifically made my game to be a relatively long-play console-style game, assuming that most other OUYA games would be cell phone ports. And things are working out that way, of the 100 or so games on the OUYA store very few are that way.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Joe Don Baker posted:

He will never see a dime from Julie.

Exactly. I won't be convinced OUYA isn't a scam until I see proof of an actual OUYA unit in a store (not an empty preorder box), and evidence that a developer has been paid.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Dreamzle posted:

I actually like you, I'm glad you are posting in this thread. As a friend, I'm sorry to tell you that you aren't going to come close to breaking even or making a profit on this.

What is your day job? How old are you?

Dreamzle posted:

And if it doesn't work out, I can always port the game over to PC, I didn't throw ALL my chips on the table.

I strongly advise you to work on your technical skills and not spend any more money trying to sell this game. Seriously, every dime you spend on this, every minute you spend trying to make this a "success" is wasted.

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 15, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dreamzle posted:

Your game is poo poo and the kind of low grade crap people like you poo poo out and then ask money for makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

I can only imagine how many times Julie's face has been in her palm after constantly seeing her dream, as stupid as it is, being shat on by the dire, dated, plagiarised unpolished turds that people like you are passing off as games on her store.

Good luck with it all!

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Dreamzle posted:

Did you consider that the OUYA has an install base of around 60,000 (assuming they can finish shipping), and that you'd need to sell your game to 1 out of every 10 users in order to not lose money?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dreamzle posted:

It's a gamble, the whole starting a company thing is a gamble. I personally think when it launches in retail the OUYA, despite its flaws, could sell decent numbers, at least at first, and yes I bet big on it :) And if it doesn't work out, I can always port the game over to PC, I didn't throw ALL my chips on the table.

I don't think porting it to PC is going to help much because...

quote:

I think my game could end up getting a decent sell through percentage, because I specifically made my game to be a relatively long-play console-style game, assuming that most other OUYA games would be cell phone ports. And things are working out that way, of the 100 or so games on the OUYA store very few are that way.

...the issue is that your game isn't worth playing, much less buying. The gameplay looks repetitive, pointless and boring. The graphics are bad, and the music (from the original trailer, I can't listen to the new one at the moment so forgive me if you've changed it) is unlistenable.

The biggest issue with your game (and 90% of other OUYA titles) isn't strictly "There aren't enough people to buy this for you to make a profit,"* it's "There aren't enough reasons for anybody to buy your game in the first place."

*This is a huge problem too.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

zylche posted:

You've been reading the Analog Stick State-of-the-World thread as well, just use this trick to sort it out:
Without:

With:

Post: http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/comment/11503/#Comment_11503

Excuse my non-gamedev ignorance, but isn't the 'with' plot still a complete joke?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You need to port it to Google Play and to the PC asap; you'll never see a profit on the Ouya. I still can't believe the numbers of downloads even sub par games get on the android market (literally millions) and even if 0.01% of those downloads become purchases you've got a significantly better chance of making anything than on the Ouya as an exclusive.

Since you used a lot of other assets to make this game, where'd you get the music/sounds? The audio in the trailer and the original demo were terrible, I'm wondering if you cleaned those up.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dreamzle posted:

This says it all, you have not once said you think your game is good, that it kicks rear end, that it is amazing because of *reasons* - no, instead you are playing the numbers game.

Like, you know if you throw enough poo poo at a wall then some will stick, you aren't going for gold here, you aren't standing by your creation, you aren't championing your game as you should be doing. You are just limping along shrugging your shoulders in the hope that your 2% comes in over time.

Mediocre crap at best from top to bottom.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

This says it all, you have not once said you think your game is good, that it kicks rear end, that it is amazing because of *reasons* - no, instead you are playing the numbers game.

Like, you know if you throw enough poo poo at a wall then some will stick, you aren't going for gold here, you aren't standing by your creation, you aren't championing your game as you should be doing. You are just limping along shrugging your shoulders in the hope that your 2% comes in over time.

Mediocre crap at best from top to bottom.

Yea, this is my point to. The game is pretty crappy, but if you put it out there enough maybe some of the poo will stick, some foolish person will open their wallets on a windy day, and the floating bills will actually land in the sticky poo on the wall that is your game. To make the wall and poo as big as possible, you need to go Google Play. That wall of poo is huge.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Dreamzle, take a look at our Making Game Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

There's a bunch of goons there that are working on projects like yours but they're tossing ideas and criticism back and forth and ending up with polished results. Go check it out, because as weird as a space shooter/adventure hybrid sounds, I'm sure that you could refine it into something more than a colorful Unity prototype.

Dec 26, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

Excuse my non-gamedev ignorance, but isn't the 'with' plot still a complete joke?

It's not good by non-OUYA standards, but it's several magnitudes less of a hot mess.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Madcosby posted:

Yea, this is my point to. The game is pretty crappy, but if you put it out there enough maybe some of the poo will stick, some foolish person will open their wallets on a windy day, and the floating bills will actually land in the sticky poo on the wall that is your game. To make the wall and poo as big as possible, you need to go Google Play. That wall of poo is huge.

Agreed.
The thing that gets me s the lack of passion, I can understand it though. You'd have to be weapons grade stupid to not be deflated after creating a game as god awful as that space thing, but I'd still hope for a bit of 'oooomph' about it rather than the guy stumbling in here with his cap in hand hoping to loving break even.

Is this an indie thing I'm not aware of or just resignation to the realisation of making a blandorama product?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Aweful, Pants, bad news for you... Not even Google cares about Android Gaming.

Dreamzle posted:

Hi ho! I'm the developer of the (currently) OUYA exclusive game "The Secret of Universe Alpha", I saw it was mentioned a couple times here (thanks Google!) Figured I'd pop in, get horribly abus-I mean answer questions, and provide the point of view of an actual published (and obviously insane) OUYA developer.

Just to get it out of the way, yes I know the game isn't a graphical masterpiece :) I'm not an artist, and I didn't have development money to pay for an artist, so I licensed artwork from various places (a lot of it from the Unity Asset Store) and got some of my backgrounds from NASA (everything there is public domain if it doesn't have a copyright notice). So y'all know what I'm talking about, this is the game in its current form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZJanfHA6ec

Dreamzle, don't let the radioactive goons bite you! :ohdear:
Did you write your code Java for Dalvik, C# or is it C++?

edit: also consider to take part to some indie gaming jams too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Dreamzle posted:

This is exactly the kind of flawed, poorly thought-through logic that can end up with a man sucking dicks on a street corner so he can afford some food for the dinner he will eat in his cardboard box.

Your game is poo poo, you will never see a dime from it.

• Locked thread