Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

"Holding business accountable for their actions could cause them to take full responsibility and die. We can't let that happen in order to battle the BIG THREE, so to win our battle, we must make sacrifices to keep OUYA, Inc. alive"

Is Ouya too big to fail? That would make that 15 million from some secret government organization. drat it Obama, quit propping up these liberal businesses and let the free market take rein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013

01011001 posted:

Hey, I haven't watched any videos other than the initial one posted about it in these threads but besides the aforementioned everything I recall the sound being impressively annoying. Maybe get some less obnoxious music? Thanks in advance (not that it matters because I'll never play an OUYA exclusive).

The game has changed a LOT since that initial video, I just posted that super early pre-pre-alpha video to bring attention to my game at a time when all the videos of games running on OUYA were showing sideloaded cell phone games that weren't using the OUYA controls, most not even full screen. Music-wise, the game has changed a bit - the "overworld" areas have slightly more "mellow" music (if you watch the new trailer the "overworld area" songs are more like the trailer's music, though that song isn't specifically in the game), and that bubble-gum pop song from the starting area in that old video is now used in a later level, but unfortunately for your ears, most of the music is roughly that fast electronic style, I wanted fast-action music for my fast-action game, and couldn't afford to pay a composer to make music specifically for my game, so I licensed what I could find that all fit that theme.

peter gabriel posted:

This says it all, you have not once said you think your game is good, that it kicks rear end, that it is amazing because of *reasons* - no, instead you are playing the numbers game.

Like, you know if you throw enough poo poo at a wall then some will stick, you aren't going for gold here, you aren't standing by your creation, you aren't championing your game as you should be doing. You are just limping along shrugging your shoulders in the hope that your 2% comes in over time.

Mediocre crap at best from top to bottom.
Apparently you are forgetting something: on the OUYA no game makes money unless people actually like it. There is no "throw poo poo on the wall and see if some sticks", your game has to be fun, first and foremost, to make any money at all. And so yes, my game is fun, I made it because my very first prototype was super fun, just flying a ship around in empty space shooting non-moving asteroids. Just flying was fun, because it had such a feeling of speed and the controls were precise. In this thread I've been talking all numbers because that's what most people here are asking about - how much the game cost, what my profit is, how many OUYA's have sold, etc. But I'm not the only one who thinks the game is fun, I've had other veterans from the game industry play it, people who don't pull punches (yes, they told me I need an artist), gotten feedback, improved the game.

Dreamzle fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 15, 2013

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Dreamzle posted:

I've had other veterans from the game industry play it, people who don't pull punches (yes, they told me I need an artist), gotten feedback, improved the game.

My uncle works for Nintendo. I will get him in touch with you.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Dreamzle posted:

The game has changed a LOT since that initial video, I just posted that super early pre-pre-alpha video to bring attention to my game at a time when all the videos of games running on OUYA were showing sideloaded cell phone games that weren't using the OUYA controls, most not even full screen. Music-wise, the game has changed a bit - the "overworld" areas have slightly more "mellow" music (if you watch the new trailer the "overworld area" songs are more like the trailer's music, though that song isn't specifically in the game), and that bubble-gum pop song from the starting area in that old video is now used in a later level, but unfortunately for your ears, most of the music is roughly that fast electronic style, I wanted fast-action music for my fast-action game, and couldn't afford to pay a composer to make music specifically for my game, so I licensed what I could find that all fit that theme.

Apparently you are forgetting something: on the OUYA no game makes money unless people actually like it. There is no "throw poo poo on the wall and see if some sticks", your game has to be fun, first and foremost, to make any money at all. And so yes, my game is fun, I made it because my very first prototype was super fun, just flying a ship around in empty space shooting non-moving asteroids. Just flying was fun, because it had such a feeling of speed and the controls were precise. In this thread I've been talking all numbers because that's what most people here are asking about - how much the game cost, what my profit is, how many OUYA's have sold, etc. But I'm not the only one who thinks the game is fun, I've had other veterans from the game industry play it, people who don't pull punches (yes, they told me I need an artist), gotten feedback, improved the game.

Have you seen if @Bawb will feature your game in his next youtube video?

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013

coreycoryecorey posted:

My uncle works for Nintendo. I will get him in touch with you.

Heh - I've personally worked in the game industry for over a decade as a game programmer, and yes, much of that time on Nintendo platforms :) These people I had play my game, they are people I used to work with, we meet every week at a bar to hang out and shoot the poo poo (if you download my game, you'll see that it's "A Thursdayparty Production", that's what that's about).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Maybe Dreamzle can make his game "110% BRONY" to compete with "100% BRONY" OUYA-exclusive twin-stick shooter RED.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Dreamzle posted:

Heh - I've personally worked in the game industry for over a decade as a game programmer, and yes, much of that time on Nintendo platforms :) These people I had play my game, they are people I used to work with, we meet every week at a bar to hang out and shoot the poo poo (if you download my game, you'll see that it's "A Thursdayparty Production", that's what that's about).

Cool!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Dreamzle posted:

Apparently you are forgetting something: on the OUYA no game makes money unless people actually like it.

No that's not the case at all. Let me fix its.
"on the OUYA no game makes money"

That should be better. You've hitched your horse to the wrong wagon Deamzle. I don't know if your game is good/could be good/whatever. I do know that if you need 10% of the userbase to buy it to break even, you are loving hosed. Halo 3, the best selling 360 title of all time, that was made in close partnership with the people who make the console, only achieved 30% penetration. Think about that for a second. Black Ops II, a game that set literal sales records across multiple forms of media, had about 10%. You cannot be Black Ops II. It will not happen. You are completely and utterly hosed if you remain with the OUYA.

Fortunately, you used a lovely engine that goes for ease of porting rather than quality, so you have means of recourse. Get your game on Desura, Steam Greenlight, Amazon Games when they open it up. Port it to the PSVita or the PS4 when their indie licenses open up, the cost of this will almost certainly pay for itself even if you game is the blandest bland to ever bland games. Get on the google play store, maybe some drunk people will buy your game. But don't loving hitch your horse to a wagon that would LITERALLY require you to outsell one of the best selling things of all time to break even.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Dreamzle posted:

I wondered who worked on those terrible shovelware games. It's no surprise that you no longer work there if that game is the standard you're striving towards. The best way to get feedback isn't going to your friends by the way, it's going to your critics and actually listening to what they say. No one here is going to take that "I worked as a games programmer on Nintendo platforms for 10 years" seriously by the way. This community has people with much more impressive credentials than that.

But yeah enjoy shilling your game, if you're using that video as promotion then you have no excuse. If your game has dramatically changed since then you should have a new video, regular update messages explaining the differences, etc. Nothing drastic just enough to establish a fanbase and work on showing you're listening to feedback.

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 15, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Why would you show an out-of-date video? Nobody who sees it is going to give your game a chance, even if it does go through an amazing evolution in its development to become a worthwhile, final product.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Revol posted:

Why would you show an out-of-date video? Nobody who sees it is going to give your game a chance, even if it does go through an amazing evolution in its development to become a worthwhile, final product.
The best part was the comments on the very first video defending the game by saying, "you guys are too harsh, that's why it's called an ALPHA" when they didn't understand that "The Secret of Universe Alpha" is the literal title.

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013

zylche posted:

I wondered who worked on those terrible shovelware games. It's no surprise that you no longer work there if that game is the standard you're striving towards. The best way to get feedback isn't going to your friends by the way, it's going to your critics and actually listening to what they say. No one here is going to take that "I worked at Nintendo as a games programmer for 10 years" seriously by the way. This community has people with much more impressive credentials than that.

But yeah enjoy shilling your game, if you're using that video as promotion then you have no excuse. If your game has dramatically changed since then you should have a new video, regular update messages explaining the differences, etc. Nothing drastic just enough to establish a fanbase and work on showing you're listening to feedback.

I do have a new video, I posted it in my first post here (and on Twitter, OUYAForums, other places...) Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZJanfHA6ec

I didn't work "at" Nintendo, I worked on Nintendo platforms - my first commercial games, for example, were on Gameboy Color: two RPG's based on the Harry Potter movies (most of my early experience is working on licensed titles).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well good luck to you, at least you answered me and do actually appear to give a poo poo about your game.

The game is still poo poo but hey, gently caress it, whatever. Hope you get everything you desire out of this fiasco.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dreamzle posted:

I didn't work "at" Nintendo, I worked on Nintendo platforms - my first commercial games, for example, were on Gameboy Color: two RPG's based on the Harry Potter movies (most of my early experience is working on licensed titles).

Cool, so you're the lovely B team that they put on licensed titles. I always wondered about that.

But for real, don't go down with the Ouya ship. Especially if you've got 20 grand on the line. Do what everyone else is saying, check out our developer threads, and try to salvage your situation.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Dreamzle posted:

I'd put the development budget at around $20,000

I... what. How was this $20,000? I think that money would be better spent on a new car. Was that all licensing costs, or what? I guess Unity costs like $400 for the Android publishing license, or a couple thousand for the Pro version. I cannot imagine this game getting over $20,000 back from customers.

Though I must admit, I went back to watch the initial video you posted too, and the new one DOES look like it's improved. But still, twenty thousand dollars? Personally, I would've stuck with free assets or made my own, and the basic $400 version of Android publishing for Unity. Also, holy cow the title screen looks boring as heck. It's just, like, a standard-looking font on a stock NASA photo of space?

Uh, well, good luck anyway.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Dreamzle posted:

I do have a new video, I posted it in my first post here (and on Twitter, OUYAForums, other places...) Here:

Why does your video hop around like a monkey on meth? All I can see is horrible textures as you jumpcut between levels every 3 seconds.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Dreamzle posted:

So you coded shovelware.

Here's the thing: being a good coder has gently caress all to do with being a good designer.

e:

HJE-Cobra posted:

I... what. How was this $20,000? ... I cannot imagine this game getting over $20,000 back from customers.

There are people here who put more effort into a throwaway image for photoshop phriday than he put into his entire game. There's no way it cost $20,000 unless he's counting the cost of the computer he made it on, what he paid for his developer version MONEYPIT, and his rent and food for the 2 months it took to pinch this one off.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 15, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I haven't watched that video past the 12 second mark because I can't get past the obvious repeating textures.

I mean come on.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Cool N64 game.

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013

HJE-Cobra posted:

I... what. How was this $20,000? I think that money would be better spent on a new car. Was that all licensing costs, or what? I guess Unity costs like $400 for the Android publishing license, or a couple thousand for the Pro version. I cannot imagine this game getting over $20,000 back from customers.

The largest development cost in any video game is paying the employees, and that's where the majority of that $20,000 went in this case too, paying my bills as I worked on the game. That went to the rent, food, bills, things like that. It also went to buying a development workstation, Unity licensing, the OUYA dev kit Kickstarter package (that was $700), the Android tablet I bought for development before the dev kits shipped, an ebayed Kickstarter OUYA so I could make the game work with the crappy Kickstarter controller as quickly as possible, etc. Then there's all the game art except the space backgrounds, the music licensing, and a couple middleware packages. And some of it is going to be used for marketing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dreamzle posted:

Actually I have to ask, how much pre-design work did you go through in a position like that, or was it mostly just "here's the concept, let's code what we can and work from there"?

edit: Don't waste your money on marketing unless you're talking like spending $25 somewhere. You won't make that back. Stop dumping money into this pit.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Heh? Heh?!

Wait, Dreamzle- sounds familiar somehow...

"Aweful Dreams posted:

Heh

You're the same person, guess I got you figured out.

Heh.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Dreamzle posted:

The largest development cost in any video game is paying the employees, and that's where the majority of that $20,000 went in this case too, paying my bills as I worked on the game. That went to the rent, food, bills, things like that. It also went to buying a development workstation, Unity licensing, the OUYA dev kit Kickstarter package (that was $700), the Android tablet I bought for development before the dev kits shipped, an ebayed Kickstarter OUYA so I could make the game work with the crappy Kickstarter controller as quickly as possible, etc. Then there's all the game art except the space backgrounds, the music licensing, and a couple middleware packages. And some of it is going to be used for marketing.

Where did your $20k come from as you were making the game? Loans, savings, or what?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Dreamzle posted:

Well there's only two gameboy color Harry Potter games, so you must have worked for KnowWonder Digital Mediaworks. Here's a list of what they developed courtesy of http://uk.ign.com/companies/knowwonder-digital-mediaworks

• ???? - The Magic School Bus Explores Bugs [PC]
  • ???? - The Magic School Bus Explores Inside the Earth [PC]
  • ???? - The Magic School Bus Explores the Human Body [Mac]
  • ???? - The Magic School Bus Explores the Human Body [PC]
  • ???? - The Magic School Bus Explores the Solar System [PC]
  • 1996 - The Magic School Bus Explores in the Age of Dinosaurs [PC]
  • 1999 - The Magic School Bus Explores the World of Animals [PC]
  • 2000 - Heroes of Might and Magic [GBC]
  • 2000 - Hot Wheels: Williams F1 Racing [PC]
  • 2000 - Racin' Ratz [GBC]
  • 2000 - Rugrats in Paris -- The Movie [PC]
  • 2000 - The Magic School Bus In Concert Activity Center [Mac]
  • 2000 - The Magic School Bus In Concert Activity Center [PC]
  • 2000 - The Magic School Bus Lands on Mars Activity Center [Mac]
  • 2000 - The Magic School Bus Lands on Mars Activity Center [PC]
  • 2001 - All-Star Baseball [GBC]
  • 2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone [PC]
  • 2001 - Power Rangers Time Force [PC]
  • 2001 - The Magic School Bus Discovers Flight [Mac]
  • 2001 - The Magic School Bus Discovers Flight [PC]
  • 2001 - The Magic School Bus Explores the Ocean [Mac]
  • 2001 - The Magic School Bus Explores the Ocean [PC]
  • 2001 - The Magic School Bus: Volcano Adventure [PC]
  • 2001 - The Magic School Bus: Whales and Dolphins Activity Center [Mac]
  • 2001 - The Magic School Bus: Whales and Dolphins Activity Center [PC]
  • 2002 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets [PC]
  • 2002 - The Magic School Bus: Bonus Pack -- Volume 1 [PC]
  • 2002 - The Magic School Bus: Bonus Pack -- Volume 2 [PC]
  • 2003 - Finding Nemo [Mac]
  • 2003 - Finding Nemo [PC]
  • 2003 - The Magic School Bus: Bonus Pack -- Volume 3 [Mac]
  • 2003 - The Magic School Bus: Bonus Pack -- Volume 3 [PC]
  • 2004 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban [PC]
  • 2004 - Shark Tale: Fintastic Fun [PC]
  • 2004 - Shrek 2 [Mac]
  • 2004 - Shrek 2 [PC]

That's an amazing list of credentials. Here's a tip, shovelware like that only gets buyers because of the brand name and being released on relevant platforms. Guess which you lack?

Dreamzle posted:

You want marketing? How about dropping :20bux: to be the #1 game on the OUYA Web Store? :v:

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013

Dewgy posted:

Actually I have to ask, how much pre-design work did you go through in a position like that, or was it mostly just "here's the concept, let's code what we can and work from there"?

Those games had a TON of up-front design work. The Harry Potter games in particular were full jRPG's, the team was huge for Gameboy Color, 16 full time people including a writer. The design work in the early days was started by the producers/writers and artists doing concept work, which would get submitted to the publisher, and when the publisher approved it then we'd have team meetings hashing out more details as programmers started working on prototypes for some of the gameplay elements. Eventually there would be a design document that would grow as the design was filled out. After the first few games we had dedicated designers that were doing the initial design work rather than just a group of producers, writers and artists, though of course everyone would help out.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You should have just invested your $20,000 in bitcoins. At the very least it would have been a more entertaining way to throw away your money.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
That list, it's certainly something...

At first I thought it was budget DVDs or something, but no, it's shovel ware, yay!

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

zylche posted:

Well there's only two gameboy color Harry Potter games, so you must have worked for KnowWonder Digital Mediaworks. Here's a list of what they developed courtesy of http://uk.ign.com/companies/knowwonder-digital-mediaworks

• 2000 - Heroes of Might and Magic [GBC]

There was a Heroes of Might & Magic game for Gameboy??

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dreamzle posted:

Those games had a TON of up-front design work. The Harry Potter games in particular were full jRPG's, the team was huge for Gameboy Color, 16 full time people including a writer. The design work in the early days was started by the producers/writers and artists doing concept work, which would get submitted to the publisher, and when the publisher approved it then we'd have team meetings hashing out more details as programmers started working on prototypes for some of the gameplay elements. Eventually there would be a design document that would grow as the design was filled out. After the first few games we had dedicated designers that were doing the initial design work rather than just a group of producers, writers and artists, though of course everyone would help out.

I guess then my question is why does your game look like you're building it as you go and adding features as you think of them? I really don't even know what the hell I'm looking at in your game other than "spaceships are easy to animate and I don't have to think hard to make a twin stick shooter". None of the scenes shown have any real consistency and basically don't even look like they're from the same game for the most part, apart from everything looking like it's from shovelware.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dreamzle posted:

Congratulations, you have just gotten 300000% more excited about a crappy Harry Potter Gameboy game than you did about your own creation.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

HotCanadianChick posted:

There are people here who put more effort into a throwaway image for photoshop phriday than he put into his entire game. There's no way it cost $20,000 unless he's counting the cost of the computer he made it on, what he paid for his developer version MONEYPIT, and his rent and food for the 2 months it took to pinch this one off.

Wow, you were absolutely right on that guess.

Dreamzle posted:

The largest development cost in any video game is paying the employees, and that's where the majority of that $20,000 went in this case too, paying my bills as I worked on the game...

Hey, if I worked on a Flash game in my spare time over a couple years, I guess I can claim all of my expenses over that course of time would be the total budget for making the game.

What I'm saying is that Secret of Universe Alpha looks very cheap. Though, I guess Minecraft doesn't look visually amazing exactly, and that has sold millions, right?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Yodzilla posted:

Cool N64 game.

It's cool though, for a project by someone who left QA & Testing only recently. :allears:

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Make your game a geometry wars clone, everyone liked geometry wars.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

www.dreamzle.com posted:

Dreamzle is a new independant videogame studio, working on its first game.

Now, there's gonna be some folks who see this site and think "Hey, I want in on that! Where can I email about a job?"

No there aren't.

edit:
Also, jesus dude if you are going to have a website for your own "game studio" at least install wordpress or something with some stock theme so it looks you put more effort into it than just writing hello_world.html in notepad in 5 minutes.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 15, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

HJE-Cobra posted:

Hey, if I worked on a Flash game in my spare time over a couple years, I guess I can claim all of my expenses over that course of time would be the total budget for making the game.

I actually think that sort of budgeting is more honest than people simply saying "Oh it's OK if my game doesn't make any money, I'm only out $200 for the Unity license!"

astr0man posted:

No there aren't.

I will apply for the "Spellchecker" job, please.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dreamzle posted:

And if it doesn't work out, I can always port the game over to PC

Yeah I wouldn't bother doing this.

No one on the PC wants your poo poo game. There's a billion better, free games on the PC, and that's not including browser games.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dreamzle posted:

Your game is not a good game. People are not going to buy it. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but I'm hoping that there's some sort of critical mass of people telling you that your game is a bad game that will actually convince you to not throw whatever remains of your initial investment down a hole. I'm sure you're familiar with the idea of sunk costs.

Also, how did you manage to shoehorn block pushing puzzles into a space exploration game?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
It's a space exploration Zelda-style game! :hurr:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Prop Wash posted:

Your game is not a good game. People are not going to buy it. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but I'm hoping that there's some sort of critical mass of people telling you that your game is a bad game that will actually convince you to not throw whatever remains of your initial investment down a hole. I'm sure you're familiar with the idea of sunk costs.

Also, how did you manage to shoehorn block pushing puzzles into a space exploration game?

Dude, video game industry veterans that he meets with on Thursdays told him his game is fuckin rad as hell so please educate yourself before being so negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

$20,000. Holy poo poo. I know devs who have made better prototypes in a 2-3 week span in their off time from their full time jobs. I hate being mean on SA for no reason but poo poo man, you are not cut out to be a project manager.

• Locked thread