Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Drakyn posted:

All this talk is making me feel the urge to revisit only-knows-how-to-use-a-shotgun-man.

Combine And Stay Back and Super Slam. You end up ragdolling everything. Nothing quite like shooting a deathclaw with a shotgun and watching him fly ten feet back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Does using the lever-action shotgun combine Shotgun Surgeon and Cowboy?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Stroth posted:

Well, he does have some good ideas. He just has some really loving terrible ones too. And they overwhelm the good ones.
I think the biggest sticking point is the massive rape camp, honestly, and the sheer success of the NCR at making Cali less generally lovely. You'd get a lot more people willing to say that the relative peace and safety the traders and everyone else seems to have in Arizona would be worth it if it wasn't on the price of institutionalized rape camps and a constant slave class of women. That, and the NCR is working at making things better without having to brutally subjugate a whole swathe of the population. Without those two points, you could at least make the argument that the safety provided might be worth it. You'd still run into the trickiness of the succession issue, but that's not a problem only contained in the Legion.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sheen Sheen posted:

Does using the lever-action shotgun combine Shotgun Surgeon and Cowboy?

I believe it does, yes. Now where did I leave that .gif from TFR of Arnie swinging one around his wrist?

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

YggiDee posted:

God help me, I'm reinstalling New Vegas too. I keep drifting back to Guns/Speech/Science, time to shake things up a bit. Is there a big difference in Unarmed vs Melee, or should I be taking both?

You should take both so you can get the perk that reduces DT by -15 at level 12, Piercing Strike. With that perk and Super Slam, melee becomes hilarity.

I have made 3 so far, here are the first two. A Knock-Knock using brute and "BatGirl" a lovely lady who wears a dress (thanks Vera) and a beret and carries a fully modded baseball bat.

Yes, that is the Legate after getting his rear end kicked. The last was a katana using guy named Marcus (thank you Clutch) who lost his mind 1/2 of the way thru the game and killed everyone he met and went Yes Man. It was a pretty fun playthrough.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

YggiDee posted:

God help me, I'm reinstalling New Vegas too. I keep drifting back to Guns/Speech/Science, time to shake things up a bit. Is there a big difference in Unarmed vs Melee, or should I be taking both?

From what I understand, Unarmed benefits a lot from stacking Critical Hit Chance and Damage bonuses, while Melee gains little from Crit and is just good at dealing big whomps of damage.

The real question you should be asking is if you want to kill people with a bear claw/shotgun strapped to your first or if you wanna beat people to death with a gigantic antennae.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
It's also worth mentioning that it's very easy to judge Legion on their brutality from the safety of our computer screens, but for the tribes it may very well seem like a legitimate step up, and if you're not in the tribes it's a definite step up, and everyone involved probably isn't aware of anything 'better.' That's how civilization progressed the first time around, after all, some of the early civilizations were brutal.

Caesar has no excuse, though, except an inherently noble cause.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I think the biggest sticking point is the massive rape camp, honestly, and the sheer success of the NCR at making Cali less generally lovely. You'd get a lot more people willing to say that the relative peace and safety the traders and everyone else seems to have in Arizona would be worth it if it wasn't on the price of institutionalized rape camps and a constant slave class of women. That, and the NCR is working at making things better without having to brutally subjugate a whole swathe of the population. Without those two points, you could at least make the argument that the safety provided might be worth it. You'd still run into the trickiness of the succession issue, but that's not a problem only contained in the Legion.

Rape camps? What are you talking about? The Legion does do horrible things with their women, but they don't build and maintain facilities entirely for the purpose of doing such, that would be just absurd. The only time you even see the Legion's women is in the fort, and it's only a couple there, and they're busy lugging around cartoonishly huge sacks rather than being specifically rape-slaves. If you want to see people being kept specifically for sex slavery, go see the Omertas.

Come to think of it, the whole, "take any woman you want" attitude the Legion has doesn't really seem to mesh with their otherwise puritanical views on drugs and leisure. It seems a bit like it was just shoehorned in to make them seem more evil, as if Nipton, Camp Searchlight, Lanius, Honest Hearts, random caravan ambushes, and slavery wasn't enough.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

i am tim! posted:

From what I understand, Unarmed benefits a lot from stacking Critical Hit Chance and Damage bonuses, while Melee gains little from Crit and is just good at dealing big whomps of damage.

The real question you should be asking is if you want to kill people with a bear claw/shotgun strapped to your first or if you wanna beat people to death with a gigantic antennae.

I originally rolled my eyes at the katana that comes with GRA but that thing is meant to build a critical chance and bonus damage melee character around. The bonus limb damage is just icing on the cake, if your opponent isn't knocked down from the super slam perk they're reeling from having every single limb crippled within a second of flailing the thing around at them.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I played through Lonesome Road and I have a question;

Does Ulysses have House geared dialogue at all? When I started it I had just finished doing a ton of NCR quests and he was talking about the NCR like I was all on their jock when in reality I was planning on siding with House 100% and couldn't really care less. 'gently caress you then, nuke em, these mines everywhere are a bitch :argh:'

Or is it just NCR or Legion dialogue?

(Sometimes I wish California would just become the NCR)

Eiba posted:

The army, their own uniforms. There are railroads for goodness sake. Modern industry has successfully reemerged in the NCR and nowhere else in the known world yet.

To be fair, for all we know the Gun Runners could have come upon some relatively intact gun factory and fortified it; NCR armor is mostly salvaged stuff that's been repainted.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 16, 2013

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

Moridin920 posted:

I played through Lonesome Road and I have a question;

Does Ulysses have House geared dialogue at all? When I started it I had just finished doing a ton of NCR quests and he was talking about the NCR like I was all on their jock when in reality I was planning on siding with House 100% and couldn't really care less. 'gently caress you then, nuke em, these mines everywhere are a bitch :argh:'

Or is it just NCR or Legion dialogue?

Lonesome Road has an issue with determining your faction allegiance. I think that for House dialogue to appear in the vanilla game your Strip reputation must be higher than NCR and Legion reputations, which happens pretty much never if you're doing NCR sidequests.

This mod makes it more sensible:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/44042//

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh that explains it, my Omertas quest bugged and wouldn't complete after the bosses died in the little final showdown with them (I like tricking the one into shooting the other :v:), so I had to just shoot everyone inside and fail the quest to continue the main questline.

My strip reputation is vilified as a result, and I have to kill a few Omertas any time I need to go into Ghomorra.

I guess my next question is what happens if I load a save with the DLC unchecked. Or maybe I can just console the quest into starting over? I haven't had much success with the scripts firing properly after I setstage though, and NPCs never reset right when I do that so I basically can't talk to them. Bah.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Moridin920 posted:

I guess my next question is what happens if I load a save with the DLC unchecked.

It loads anyway. No one seems to know why, but it does.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Moridin920 posted:

To be fair, for all we know the Gun Runners could have come upon some relatively intact gun factory and fortified it; NCR armor is mostly salvaged stuff that's been repainted.

This is exactly what happened. They found out how to manufacture weapons from old schematics and some intact equipment in the Boneyard. You had the option of getting them to supply weapons to the people of Adytum but you had to kill the Deathclaws separating the two groups in F1.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, the whole, "take any woman you want" attitude the Legion has doesn't really seem to mesh with their otherwise puritanical views on drugs and leisure. It seems a bit like it was just shoehorned in to make them seem more evil, as if Nipton, Camp Searchlight, Lanius, Honest Hearts, random caravan ambushes, and slavery wasn't enough.

There's a very simple explanation for that: Caesar is a manchild. Everything the Legion does is subservient to his whim; he is literally a god in their culture. Caesar doesn't like drugs (probably had a bad trip when he was young), and Legionaries who slack off aren't benefiting him. Meanwhile, because he has the emotional maturity of a twelve-year old, he sees women as existing for his (and by extension, men's) pleasure, and by encouraging the Legion to rape every female they see he gets more soldiers and slaves.

One of my favorite caveats about the Legion is that when people talk about how they still practice slavery, they're only partially right. Everyone in the Legion is a slave to Caesar. Some of them just get to wear fancy hats.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Speaking of gameplay, I tried out Mercy (the unique grenade machine gun) yesterday. Am I missing something or is this the most dangerous weapon to its user in the whole game? The grenades seem to have an effective range of like fifteen feet in front of you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Interesting tidbit from ropekid earlier on this:

rope kid posted:

Whether you think it's a "legit" reason or not, it's actually to ensure that the Legion breeds as many new legionaries as it can at the fastest possible rate. The way it is communicated in game often comes across as "traditionally" sexist instead of "follow these gender roles for army min-maxing".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

StandardVC10 posted:

Speaking of gameplay, I tried out Mercy (the unique grenade machine gun) yesterday. Am I missing something or is this the most dangerous weapon to its user in the whole game? The grenades seem to have an effective range of like fifteen feet in front of you.

Did you get Hit the Deck? It's kind of a necessity if you're going to use explosive weapons at ranges of less than ten meters. The grenades will travel further if you have Heave Ho as well, since they're affected by gravity (as will Mini-nukes).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Did you get Hit the Deck? It's kind of a necessity if you're going to use explosive weapons at ranges of less than ten meters. The grenades will travel further if you have Heave Ho as well, since they're affected by gravity (as will Mini-nukes).

Nah, I was just hitting up all the places in the game that I hadn't visited yet at Lv. 50 with my maxed-out Guns character. I didn't have this problem with Thump-Thump which was kind of a useful emergency supplement when fighting big groups of enemies. I was just struck by how short the range of the grenades seemed to be.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

StandardVC10 posted:

Nah, I was just hitting up all the places in the game that I hadn't visited yet at Lv. 50 with my maxed-out Guns character. I didn't have this problem with Thump-Thump which was kind of a useful emergency supplement when fighting big groups of enemies. I was just struck by how short the range of the grenades seemed to be.

Explosive weapons are kind of an all or nothing deal if you plan to use them with any sort of regularity. The damage is pretty weak without Demolition Expert, and yet at the same time you're still liable to kill yourself occasionally without Hit the Deck. There's a lot of power to be had with them, but you have to get a lot of perks to really make them shine. Still, it's fun as a gimmick run.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Connoisseur posted:

Lonesome Road has an issue with determining your faction allegiance. I think that for House dialogue to appear in the vanilla game your Strip reputation must be higher than NCR and Legion reputations, which happens pretty much never if you're doing NCR sidequests.

This mod makes it more sensible:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/44042//

Ahhh, I was wondering about that. I just past that part in Lonesome Road and couldn't understand why Ulysses & the Courier were debating about House when he had already been dead for weeks in my game. Does Ulysses have Yes Man dialogue?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

I believe it does, yes. Now where did I leave that .gif from TFR of Arnie swinging one around his wrist?

This what you're looking for?

Although I think more of this when I think of a shotgun build.

I'm tempted to start over and make a Hobo With A Shotgun build. The Riot Shotgun was pretty much the only weapon I used once I got my hands on one anyway.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 16, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobo Clown posted:

Does Ulysses have Yes Man dialogue?

He's got independant Mojave dialogue if you're going for the wildcard ending, but he doesn't actually know about Yes Man.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm tempted to start over and make a Hobo With A Shotgun build. The Riot Shotgun was pretty much the only weapon I used once I got my hands on one.

I'm actually more fond of a fully modded Hunting Shotgun; it's a little more damage per pellet, and the accuracy means that more of those pellets will hit what you're aiming at. Assuming you aim.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hobo Clown posted:

Ahhh, I was wondering about that. I just past that part in Lonesome Road and couldn't understand why Ulysses & the Courier were debating about House when he had already been dead for weeks in my game.

Wait, seriously? Wow, that's genuinely disappointing. I can understand tying your allegiance to your faction reputation, they'd want to keep it simple to avoid bugs, since they're using the worst game engine in the world, but Honest Hearts could tell if you killed Caesar just fine. How does an expansion which could be entirely about your relationship with House not have a little flag in there to detect whether you've killed him?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Keeshhound posted:

There's a very simple explanation for that: Caesar is a manchild. Everything the Legion does is subservient to his whim; he is literally a god in their culture. Caesar doesn't like drugs (probably had a bad trip when he was young), and Legionaries who slack off aren't benefiting him. Meanwhile, because he has the emotional maturity of a twelve-year old, he sees women as existing for his (and by extension, men's) pleasure, and by encouraging the Legion to rape every female they see he gets more soldiers and slaves.

One of my favorite caveats about the Legion is that when people talk about how they still practice slavery, they're only partially right. Everyone in the Legion is a slave to Caesar. Some of them just get to wear fancy hats.

A dude already brought this up, but yeah, women as breeding stock is to grow as many Legionaries as fast as possible, not some kind of wish-fulfillment. He wouldn't be able to fight the NCR within his lifetime if he didn't do everything in his power to grow his army.

Past that, the Legionaries don't rape every woman they see. Female slaves are taken for that purpose, yes, but not every woman the Legion encounters becomes a slave and they certainly don't assault women at the drop of a hat like I think you're implying.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Utgardaloki posted:

Past that, the Legionaries don't rape every woman they see. Female slaves are taken for that purpose, yes, but not every woman the Legion encounters becomes a slave and they certainly don't assault women at the drop of a hat like I think you're implying.
Oh, that's alright then. Whew.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I think I'm going to join the ranks of those starting another playthrough. A Brock Samson mod linked in the Venture Brothers thread in TVIV gave me my character inspiration. Obviously his combat focus is melee/unarmed; it looks like Bowie knives are available only in Lonesome Road, so I'll either jump in and out of there early or console one in. It's going to be interesting trying to be essentially virtuous while slaughtering anyone who threatens me. I think Brock will side with House, who is the super-scientist of the Mojave, though the Think Tank (featuring Dr. Venture's voice) may work for that in an NCR run. I could also see him going Yes Man + BoS (as the stand-in for OSI/SPHINX). Of course, he will personally rip Caesar's arms off.

Who would his preferred companions be? Maybe Boone dressed as Colonel Hunter Gathers and Cass or Veronica as Molotov Cocktease? No one really fits Shore Leave. Is there any duo who would make a decent Hank and Dean?

Stats: High Str, Endurance, Agility, Decent Int and Luck. Besides melee/unarmed, he'll have high speech (for intimidation), lockpick (spy skills + substitute for kicking down doors) Perks will focus on melee/unarmed, damage resistance, stealth, and intimidation. (Maybe Miss Fortune for Molotov analogue). His heart will be replaced in OWB. Unsure what to do with Ulysses...he'd probably kill them and disarm the nukes. I also don't know whether to kill Dean in DM or treat him kindly as though he were Dean Venture. The White Legs are definitely getting slaughtered.

Any other ideas?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Utgardaloki posted:

A dude already brought this up, but yeah, women as breeding stock is to grow as many Legionaries as fast as possible, not some kind of wish-fulfillment. He wouldn't be able to fight the NCR within his lifetime if he didn't do everything in his power to grow his army.

Yeah what happens to the people like the trader at the foot of the fort, is there like some class that isn't army, but isn't a slave? I mean I always thought it would be interesting to see that part of the Legion where they are not in total war/raiding mode and what their towns look like. I assume some people just have to pay there taxes and farm their asses off to meet the quotas to feed the army.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah what happens to the people like the trader at the foot of the fort, is there like some class that isn't army, but isn't a slave? I mean I always thought it would be interesting to see that part of the Legion where they are not in total war/raiding mode and what their towns look like. I assume some people just have to pay there taxes and farm their asses off to meet the quotas to feed the army.

I thought he wasn't actually from Legion territory, just traded with them?

Utgardaloki posted:

He may have a practical reason for it, but if his actual concern was producing enough numbers to fuel his army then it would have made more sense for him to "recruit" from settlements he'd conquered. Even if he genuinely thinks that institutionalized rape is the best solution, it only goes to show how immature and lacking in critical thinking he is.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 16, 2013

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel
This might be my speculation, but I don't think there are legion "towns", just towns that they ignore because they weren't militant or tribal. I don't know what the distinction would be. I think the legion is literally just the army, there isn't really a society beyond that besides the protection they offer to the towns in their territory.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

achillesforever6 posted:

Towns and generally peaceful types are left alone, though they have to abide by the laws of the Legion, if I extrapolate correctly. That is, no drugs or alcohol, I think no prostitutes, and Legion currency is to be used. I don't think they're taxed or under any special demands. It is understood that if the Legion DOES make a demand for some reason, it's to be followed without question though.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Caesar uses rape as a means of creating more legionaries and as a tool of terrorism. He impresses young tribals into the Legion but does not recruit from "civilized" settlements because the residents are not suitably malleable.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

rope kid posted:

Caesar uses rape as a means of creating more legionaries and as a tool of terrorism. He impresses young tribals into the Legion but does not recruit from "civilized" settlements because the residents are not suitably malleable.

Well, you're the boss, but it still doesn't strike me as a very effective solution.

I mean, even if they start training kids at age 4, doesn't that still mean the Legion's military growth will be drastically unpredictable, on a year to year basis?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

but Honest Hearts could tell if you killed Caesar just fine.

Aw man now I want to replay Honest Hearts again too. Damnit :negative:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 16, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rope kid posted:

Edward Sallow created Caesar's Legion as an imitation of the Roman Legion, but without any of the Roman society that supported the Roman Legion. I've written this before, but there are no optimates, no populares, no plebes, no equestrians, no patricians, no senate, no Rome. There's no right to private property (within the Legion itself). There's no civil law. There aren't even the ceremonial trappings of Roman society. Legates don't receive triumphs following a victory. No one in the Legion retires to a villa in Sedona.

It's essentially a Roman legion with only the very top commander having any connection to the "source" culture, the rest being indoctrinated conscripts from cultures that were honestly less well-developed than anything in Gaul. Gauls are pretty sophisticated compared to the 80+ tribes. Gauls could read the Latin or Greek alphabets (Gallic language, obviously), had extensive permanent settlements, roads, calendars, mines, and a whole load of poo poo that groups like the Blackfoots never had.

What Caesar gave to those tribes was order, discipline, an end to internecine tribal violence (eventually), common language, and a common culture that was not rooted in any of their parent cultures. The price was extreme brutality, an enormous loss of life and individual culture, the complete dissolution of anything resembling a traditional family, and the indoctrination of fascist values.

Caesar's Legion isn't the Roman Empire or the Roman Republic. It isn't even the Roman Legion. It's a slave army with trappings of foreign-conscripted Roman legionaries during the late empire. All military, no civilian, and with none of the supporting civilian culture.

People support things for a lot of reasons, but I think people who would support Caesar essentially believe his pitch/vision. They don't want to see NCR turned into an extension of Caesar's Legion, but want it to become Caesar's synthesis of NCR and CL. In Caesar's mind, this California Empire would have the infrastructure, knowledge, technology, and some culture from the NCR with the discipline, integrity, efficiency, and security of the Legion.

If you buy that, you buy the Legion. Then again, I didn't design the major factions thinking that a certain percentage of people needed to side with any given one of them. The same applies to Joshua and Daniel in Honest Hearts. For me, it was a given that the majority of players would side with Joshua.
Some rope kid words on legion, for those who forgot.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Keeshhound posted:

Well, you're the boss, but it still doesn't strike me as a very effective solution.

I mean, even if they start training kids at age 4, doesn't that still mean the Legion's military growth will be drastically unpredictable, on a year to year basis?
A captive breeding pool and training program are very predictable. The children are raised into the Legion knowing nothing else.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

rope kid posted:

A captive breeding pool and training program are very predictable. The children are raised into the Legion knowing nothing else.

I see what you mean now; I was thinking you meant Caesar gave a general "rape is cool" order, and then just took what he got, not a systematic breeding program.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Keeshhound posted:

I see what you mean now; I was thinking you meant Caesar gave a general "rape is cool" order, and then just took what he got, not a systematic breeding program.

No, that would be way too self aware for Ed. I actually unironically enjoy how much of a spergy grognard Caesar is. It's totally believable to me that the guy who's trying to make a metaphor involving Roman cosplayers conquering his former home happen IRL makes strategic decisions like someone min-maxing character attributes in an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Keeshhound posted:

Rape during Legion military action isn't meant for breeding, but for terrorism.