Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Mr. Beefhead posted:

No, it hasn't.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-S...=item3f252be4c4

IDK, they are normalizing around a 100 dollar mark, which means that some are likely going for less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I'm feeling kind of bad for that Dreamzle dude, since he spent $20,000 on a game on a platform where there is no way he will get enough downloads to make it back.

That Harry Potter GBC game was actually pretty fun, and if he worked on some of the other titles by that company, so were the DS Spider-Man Web Of Shadows game and Shinobi 3DS (although both games had issues with the art sometimes not making it clear where you could go or what you could do :v: ).

edit: at least, I think those are by the same company that did that Harry Potter game, could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

I am still waiting the answer from XBoxPants or Aweful Dreams about how they think that Android is a viable platform for gaming from a gamer standpoint, since Google is doing just the bare minimum to compete with Apple and to facilitate people to use the Google+ platform.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

limaCAT posted:

I am still waiting the answer from XBoxPants or Aweful Dreams about how they think that Android is a viable platform for gaming from a gamer standpoint, since Google is doing just the bare minimum to compete with Apple and to facilitate people to use the Google+ platform.

A whole lot of people like gaming with Google Play, seems like a very viable platform to me. But two things: OUYA doesn't use the Google app platform, so whatever Google does doesn't really affect the OUYA - OUYA won't get Google Games, they plan to implement their own solution for that kind of stuff. And second, don't forget that I do NOT think OUYA will necessarily succeed or is a good system - I've gotten this reputation as an OUYA defender because I stated that I liked a couple of the games on the store (Stalagfight and Rage Runner) and said I could see where the OUYA could be more convenient for gaming on a TV than a PC.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Red_Mage posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-S...=item3f252be4c4

IDK, they are normalizing around a 100 dollar mark, which means that some are likely going for less.

So far, none have gone for under $100. The current average is about $170.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Aweful Dreams posted:

A big shipment must have just happened, eBay is now filled with "in-hand" OUYAs for sale. And the price is dropping, they used to go for like $200 to $300, now many of them are selling for $160 or less. And one overly optimistic guy (not me) is trying to sell his dev system for $800!

Not sure if it was a big shipment or people realising the mistake they've made. Or they could've just rerouted all OUYA deliveries to their HQ to have employees eBay them for even more cash. I wouldn't put it past them.

I wonder if Rocco has downloaded a game yet.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aweful Dreams posted:

A whole lot of people like gaming with Google Play, seems like a very viable platform to me. But two things: OUYA doesn't use the Google app platform, so whatever Google does doesn't really affect the OUYA - OUYA won't get Google Games, they plan to implement their own solution for that kind of stuff. And second, don't forget that I do NOT think OUYA will necessarily succeed or is a good system - I've gotten this reputation as an OUYA defender because I stated that I liked a couple of the games on the store (Stalagfight and Rage Runner) and said I could see where the OUYA could be more convenient for gaming on a TV than a PC.

Aren't you developing a game for the GARBANZOBEANS?

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
Nope, I was asked to look into the OUYA to see if it would be a viable platform to develop for, and my company got a dev kit just in case (which I currently have). The company hasn't chosen to make an OUYA game yet, but I'm still following it closely (as time goes on it's seeming worse and worse, but if they can manage to fix all the problems in time for retail, have some secret high profile games they plan to announce at E3, and stock up a whole bunch for the retail, it's possible people will just forget all the Kickstarter problems).

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 16, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hey I wonder what's happening with those Limited Edition units?

Oh.

Sorry everyone, but the CEO of this company isn't allowed to take pictures of the product they're paying to have manufactured. They had metal detectors and everything.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Aweful Dreams posted:

A whole lot of people like gaming with Google Play, seems like a very viable platform to me.

Ok, for which extents of time? Which controls? How does gaming with google play translates in money spent by people, with the exception of "people trowing money for digital cows making golden milk"?

Aweful Dreams posted:

But two things: OUYA doesn't use the Google app platform, so whatever Google does doesn't really affect the OUYA - OUYA won't get Google Games, they plan to implement their own solution for that kind of stuff.

So, it means that the console that was based on Android is not really using the full extent of free engineering that Google is throwing at it.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

limaCAT posted:

So, it means that the console that was based on Android is not really using the full extent of free engineering that Google is throwing at it.

But they sure are happy to use their settings menus!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
"Want to show final versions not prototypes" should be engraved on the limited edition HATERAID.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Sorry everyone, but the CEO of this company isn't allowed to take pictures of the product they're paying to have manufactured. They had metal detectors and everything.

Every time I think that I've heard it all...

...I should know better.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I find it difficult to believe she was even in China. Every other Kickstarter project I've seen where they sent people to the factory (BOOTS ON THE GROUND) they were Tweeting about it and updating their Kickstarter pages. But Julie goes to China and you don't hear a peep.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Aweful Dreams posted:

Nope, I was asked to look into the OUYA to see if it would be a viable platform to develop for, and my company got a dev kit just in case (which I currently have). The company hasn't chosen to make an OUYA game yet, but I'm still following it closely (as time goes on it's seeming worse and worse, but if they can manage to fix all the problems in time for retail, have some secret high profile games they plan to announce at E3, and stock up a whole bunch for the retail, it's possible people will just forget all the Kickstarter problems).
OUYA have a booth at E3? As an aside Julie's meant to be speaking at Nordic Game next week according to twitter.

Oh.
Amazing. :allears:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Oh.

Well if that's not proof of their outright lies I don't know what is. I could understand her not being allowed to take photos of the production line making something that wasn't one of her Ouya's, but then outright refusing to let her take photos of the product she's paying them to produce? That's a load of horseshit.

If that actually did happen, the why that didn't set off a thousand alarm bells in her head? If I was in that position I'd cancel the rest of the order on the spot and refuse to accept any units ready to ship out of fear of what dodgy poo poo was going on.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 16, 2013

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Holy poo poo. The hole of lies keeps getting deeper. What the gently caress would the point of going there even be if she wasn't allowed to take pictures? Oh, that's right. There's no point except wasting KS money. I bet she didn't even get to 80% in Street Fighter.

"Want to show final versions not prototypes" is the best though. "Um no this is a beta launch these are beta uni.. NO THESE ARE FINAL no wait um poo poo um.. Lots. A lot."

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Oh.

Reminder that some very rich (and clearly very dense) people thought this was a good thing to pump $15 million into last week.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

I find it difficult to believe she was even in China. Every other Kickstarter project I've seen where they sent people to the factory (BOOTS ON THE GROUND) they were Tweeting about it and updating their Kickstarter pages. But Julie goes to China and you don't hear a peep.

She totally was in China! Saw the sights and walked down the streets and everything!

Using Google Earth street view

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

OUYA: Can't spell "Julie" without "lie".

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Color Printer posted:

While I agree with this post, I just want to point there's a major difference between retro and simplistic graphics and the poo poo that's in that video.

I believe that programmers resort back to retro pixel junk when it's very clear that any attempt they do at visuals looks awful. (Or maybe they're just nostalgic and/or pretentious. Beats me.) While it is good to make a step away from using programmer art, this is not necessarily a step in the right direction.
You can believe that all you want, but the far more likely answer is "people are using retro pixel art crap because the look is hot right now and up-and-comers want a chunk of that cash money." Remember when every other indie game out there tried to rip off Dan Paladin's art style? It's because that was selling at the time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh.

:lol:
Aren't close-up pictures of details a basis of quick quality control? I mean you send the pics to the project manager/engineer to check if the product looks good before you bring an actual sample of course. Are they also afraid of checking the units before they send them out directly from China? What the gently caress?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Palpek posted:

Aren't close-up pictures of details a basis of quick quality control? I mean you send the pics to the project manager/engineer to check if the product looks good before you bring an actual sample of course. Are they also afraid of checking the units before they send them out directly from China? What the gently caress?

Hey man, as long as Street Fighter works, it's ok.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Palpek posted:

To quote a Bitcoiner: "The first version is always the best"

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

gently caress you for not believing!

I might send this to OUYANews and get me a job.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

It is amusing that when confronted by someone asking a perfectly reasonable question her first instinct is to panic and come up with a completely implausible lie. Even if the factory didn't want them taking pictures (metal detector level: maximum) they must surely have had a test run of the hardware to ensure manufacturing is correct. You wouldn't just go ahead and start up a production line without making sure it was up to spec, right?

Or perhaps she really did go to China and really did visit the factory, but the factory knew they were dealing with a moron and just handed her a cardboard box when she asked to see the LE units.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

So they got $15 million funding and Julie goes off to China. Can't it be they originally didn't have money to manufacture the limited edition OUYAs, and her being there was just signing off on a fresh manufacturing job? It'd explain the lack of photos and general sidestepping.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

But guys it was China right? Scary stuff, drat you need to understand it's like a warzone.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

It is amusing that when confronted by someone asking a perfectly reasonable question her first instinct is to panic and come up with a completely implausible lie. Even if the factory didn't want them taking pictures (metal detector level: maximum) they must surely have had a test run of the hardware to ensure manufacturing is correct. You wouldn't just go ahead and start up a production line without making sure it was up to spec, right?

Don't be irrational, they surely had to smuggle steel into the factory going around that metal detector for making the steel cases, and then they will have to smuggle the ouyas with the steel casing out of the factory again. :allears:

Red_Mage posted:

But they sure are happy to use their settings menus!

I can't wait to see the first local multiplayer game with a cheat code for turning on the in-flight mode.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm now imagining an Oceans Eleven style heist for the Ouya Limited Edition Prototypes.

But then I realized that OUYA probably doesn't employ eleven competent people.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Palpek posted:

But guys it was China right? Scary stuff, drat you need to understand it's like a warzone.

Mike Daisey taught me everything I ever needed to know about the evil Chinese overlords and their factory slaves. Each OUYA unit contains the soul of one slave. Since only robots get promoted in Chinese factory society the metal detector is there to stop them escaping. If you introduce a camera into the mix workers will drop tools and mourn for the man who died to make that camera. Then the robots get pissed.

I know it's not funny and I lost my train of thought but all of that still makes more sense than anything Uhrman says.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aweful Dreams posted:

But two things: OUYA doesn't use the Google app platform, so whatever Google does doesn't really affect the OUYA - OUYA won't get Google Games, they plan to implement their own solution for that kind of stuff.
Does this philosophy extend to other consoles? Like the Xbox doesn't use the Ouya app platform so whatever Ouya does won't have any effect on Xbox?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I bet you she was in China and everything. She even had some time for sightseeing, but as it was late when she came back from the plant, she didn't see very much. She was told that "Not advisable for a tourist to visit the canals at night."

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

zylche posted:

So they got $15 million funding and Julie goes off to China. Can't it be they originally didn't have money to manufacture the limited edition OUYAs, and her being there was just signing off on a fresh manufacturing job? It'd explain the lack of photos and general sidestepping.

The chances she was actually in China are vanishingly small.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

OatmealRaisin posted:

The chances she was actually in China are vanishingly small.

Maybe she was in one of these places:

Little China - Austin, Texas

Little China - Torrance, Gardena, California

Little China - Richmond, California

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

I think that she just had Chinese food and had to pick it up from the restaurant.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
I kinda left this thread in the dust for the past week or so, and It seems that nothing has changed. It seems that we have ~200 confirmed received?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

trunkwontopen posted:

I kinda left this thread in the dust for the past week or so, and It seems that nothing has changed. It seems that we have ~200 confirmed received?

I'll give you the tl;dr; ouya apologists now are three or four and we have the developer of The Secret of Universe Alpha too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniKH9Yfl5Y

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It's entirely possible that they are at a factory paranoid about losing a real customer due to letting some fly by night company take random pictures.

I've been in circumstances like that in fact! We had to go find someone to stage the photos so nothing sensitive was in the pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It's entirely possible that they are at a factory paranoid about losing a real customer due to letting some fly by night company take random pictures.

I've been in circumstances like that in fact! We had to go find someone to stage the photos so nothing sensitive was in the pictures.

But even in that situation wouldn't they still have had samples?

bumblingbee posted:

I think that she just had Chinese food and had to pick it up from the restaurant.

Ouya's revolutionary concept allows you to easily modify it by removing the cardboard lid, and its cutting edge foil lining ensures your NVIDIA ChowMein 3 GTX stays fresher for longer.

Iacen posted:

She was told that "Not advisable for a tourist to visit the canals at night."

:golfclap:

• Locked thread