Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Schubalts posted:

I hate you for making me laugh at that scene.

I still cried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Fulchrum posted:

I'm being incredibly charitable to ZombiU.
Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

What an arbitrary stupid comparison. What about Shenmue, Seaman etc? There was a lot of creativity on the DC and you're stupid or were 4 if you don't remember that 99% of PS2 games were shovelware.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

O__O posted:

What an arbitrary stupid comparison. What about Shenmue, Seaman etc? There was a lot of creativity on the DC and you're stupid or were 4 if you don't remember that 99% of PS2 games were shovelware.

Shovelware comes to all systems. Dreamcast had Chicken Run: The Game for example or 101 Dalmations.

I just wonder now how long the Wii-U will last, is it just going to be dead in 2 years and Nintendo is going to put out a newer system? Or are they going to drag it through to the end?

I mean I just bought the system for Monster Hunter, I haven't gotten any games other than Monster Hunter and I picked the system up at launch. And it's really going to suck if the system fails and they take the online stuff offline.

I feel for 60 bucks games like Lego City, New Super Mario bros. U and ZombiU just aren't worth it. I would however pick them up when they're around 5-10 bucks.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 17, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toady posted:

Fans often cite the N64 and Gamecube to dismiss criticism of Nintendo's current position, but the situation today is entirely different. After all, I remember when Nintendo's profitability was a go-to argument back then: "Nintendo may be in last place, but they're the only one not selling at a loss!"

It really isn't entirely different. It's certainly not a good position but a lot of that is marketing fuckups. The fact that people think the WiiU is a Wii add-on is a lot more problematic than anything else on that list and shows that Nintendo has done a terrible job of marketing the system, but not in a way which is impossible to recover from. The strength of their franchises is immense and if they can do something with those franchises in conjunction with a good marketing push, the strength of the system or the crappy online is going to matter a lot less.

I really don't think anyone thinks the WiiU is going to beat the PS4/Nextbox/PC, but what it can do is carve a niche for itself as a secondary system or casual system if it manages to market itself properly. It's just completely failed at that so far. The name alone was a mistake, and one they should have known to avoid after the exact same thing happened with the 3DS.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 17, 2013

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

WendigoJohnson posted:

Shovelware comes to all systems. Dreamcast had Chicken Run: The Game for example or 101 Dalmations.

Oh for sure, but that guy was just framing things in a really dumb way.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Bob Summerwill, who's apparently "Senior SE and Architect, EA Sports", isn't all that fond of Nintendo.
After that guy who was fired after the always-online thing at Microsoft, I wonder if Bob has a job at EA next week:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Iacen posted:

Bob Summerwill, who's apparently "Senior SE and Architect, EA Sports", isn't all that fond of Nintendo.
After that guy who was fired after the always-online thing at Microsoft, I wonder if Bob has a job at EA next week:

No one is going to get fired for calling a system they aren't working on lovely.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I thought the Microsoft guy was fired for discussing details of an unreleased system.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Toady posted:

I thought the Microsoft guy was fired for discussing details of an unreleased system.

I think he was fired for being an insufferable gobshite in general. Microsoft distanced themselves from the "always online" stuff the guy was talking about.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Eh, he probably has a little bit of distance from the Wii U seeing as EA's sports titles aren't coming to it, but this is probably a bad thing for future EA-Nintendo relations (3DS, if Nintendo turns around with a new console in a couple years). I'm thinking "chewed out in a future meeting" more than "fired".

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

I'd say it was probably this guy's last day and he decided to drop a few bombs on the way out.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rod Munch posted:

I'd say it was probably this guy's last day and he decided to drop a few bombs on the way out.

His tweets were deleted, but that's probably because some people get absolutely loving dumb when it comes to video games and were threatening him bodily harm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

His tweets were deleted, but that's probably because some people get absolutely loving dumb when it comes to video games and were threatening him bodily harm.

I'd say it is more likely because it's really really stupid to do that for any company you're likely to have a relationship with in the future. Nobody wants to be the guy who had to eat crow if the WiiU magically bounces back.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Iacen posted:

He's not wrong in his criticisms at least but I don't agree with his conclusion that Nintendo is walking dead. They do need some new management and fresh franchise ideas though. I love Nintendo, the 3DS gets the most use in our house at the moment and I've never skipped a console of theirs in the past but this gen they really had their head up their rear end.

If they want third parties to help carry them during slow first party periods then they should have delivered a decent piece of kit so porting isn't such a costly pain in the rear end. EA not porting FIFA is a huge gently caress you from a company that was previously a big supporter and that doesn't bode well for EU/Latin American sales. The eShop is still terrible and I can see why publishers are pissed off about it, they shouldn't need a decade to figure this stuff considering all of the excellent examples and failures they have to use as a cheat sheet.

I don't really care if the system has 8GB of memory or not, I just want games our family can play but they didn't really deliver there either. I don't think Nintendo needs to go the way of Sega but they do need some new management direction and please hire someone with a clue about user interface and store fronts.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

It's very simple. If/when they have the classic franchises on the system, it will sell.

They decided to release the system without a Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, SSBB, or Mario Galaxy. This is what happens.

Just one exclusive killer app wasn't asking for too much (sorry ZombiU)

Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, and NFL2K were enough reasons for me to get the Dreamcast on launch day.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Honestly, I keep forgetting that the WiiU is a thing. I personally love Nintendo handhelds, but as far as their plug-it-into-the-wall systems...eh. I'm pretty bad at games that are all about pushing the right button at the right time, and Nintendo doesn't have much in the strategy/RPG line as far as its consoles are concerned. (There are obvious exceptions, but generally speaking, they focus a little more on casual/party gaming.) I'm a horrible person who will buy a console if there's one game I REALLY want to play on it, and...actually I haven't heard of more than about 3 WiiU games.

The other thing is that my console purchases tend to favor multi-purpose things. I justified buying a PS2 because it was also a DVD player, and a PS3 because it was a Blu-Ray player. Does the WiiU have other uses? I don't honestly know. I never hear anything about it. Maybe that's because I don't have TV, and it doesn't do enough online advertising. I'd say I'm just not their demographic, but the middle/high school kids I teach haven't mentioned WiiU all year, either. Among my students, Nintendo seems to be the video game family that your mom is okay with you playing (and might even play with you!), so it's naturally a little less cool than other options.

But yes, lack of games and knowledge makes me intensely apathetic about the system. I also think the concept is kind of stupid. If I'm going to play something I hold in my hands, I don't want to have to be in my damned living room to do it. If I'm playing on the nice TV, I want to look at that screen, not what I have in my hand. Maybe that's just the years of my sister shouting at me that I have to look at the screen, not the controller.

ArmadilloConspiracy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 17, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Eh, he probably has a little bit of distance from the Wii U seeing as EA's sports titles aren't coming to it, but this is probably a bad thing for future EA-Nintendo relations (3DS, if Nintendo turns around with a new console in a couple years). I'm thinking "chewed out in a future meeting" more than "fired".

This isn't Game of Thrones, if EA decide to make their inanely popular and lucrative console-moving sports games for Nintendo's next console or handhelds they aren't going to go "one of your senior employees was mean to us, prepare to die!". They were dumb tweets that got deleted because publicly attacking one of the most PC and widely loved game companies is a dumb move, but not even relevant enough for him to get chewed out in a future meeting, especially if he's related in any important way to EA's last guaranteed money lifeline.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say it is more likely because it's really really stupid to do that for any company you're likely to have a relationship with in the future. Nobody wants to be the guy who had to eat crow if the WiiU magically bounces back.

For a 7th generation equivalent, see Gabe Newell.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Fulchrum posted:

For a 7th generation equivalent, see Gabe Newell.

Care to explain further?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone know why they just announced Yakuza 1 and 2 coming to the WiiU and not the newer ones?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

NewtGoongrich posted:

Care to explain further?

He called the PS3 a total disaster and a waste of everyone's time, then a few years later oops sorry and by the way Portal 2 is getting a bunch of PS3 exclusive stuff.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Anyone know why they just announced Yakuza 1 and 2 coming to the WiiU and not the newer ones?

They're cheaper to port would be my guess.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

The other thing is that my console purchases tend to favor multi-purpose things. I justified buying a PS2 because it was also a DVD player, and a PS3 because it was a Blu-Ray player. Does the WiiU have other uses? I don't honestly know. I never hear anything about it. Maybe that's because I don't have TV, and it doesn't do enough online advertising. I'd say I'm just not their demographic, but the middle/high school kids I teach haven't mentioned WiiU all year, either. Among my students, Nintendo seems to be the video game family that your mom is okay with you playing (and might even play with you!), so it's naturally a little less cool than other options.

Nintendo's consoles have always been almost exclusively about playing games. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the individual but this generation (and the previous one) has been a toy company competing with multimedia/entertainment companies. I was surprised when the Wii U came out with the TV functionality it did, maybe that's a sign that they're coming around to gaming consoles doing non-gaming things?

Neurolimal posted:

This isn't Game of Thrones, if EA decide to make their inanely popular and lucrative console-moving sports games for Nintendo's next console or handhelds they aren't going to go "one of your senior employees was mean to us, prepare to die!". They were dumb tweets that got deleted because publicly attacking one of the most PC and widely loved game companies is a dumb move, but not even relevant enough for him to get chewed out in a future meeting, especially if he's related in any important way to EA's last guaranteed money lifeline.

I don't think he needs to be made an example of but you actually said the point I was making- EA will most likely work with Nintendo again in the future, so to have one of your senior employees come out and publicly trash them looks bad. But like I said, since he's not working with Nintendo anytime soon I don't think it's a fireable offense since it will blow over. It's just dumb and makes him (and EA, to a lesser extent) look bad.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crowbear posted:

They're cheaper to port would be my guess.
I figured it would be more complicated since they are ports themselves.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

Have these ones been released on the Ps3 in any form? I honestly don't remember.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Fulchrum posted:

Have these ones been released on the Ps3 in any form? I honestly don't remember.

Yeah, the same HD collection has been out since last year.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured it would be more complicated since they are ports themselves.

Well none of the super late ports for the Wii U have sold well so I'm guessing that when Nintendo asked Sega to bring over a Yakuza game they just picked the one they would lose the least money on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

Only in Japan, which is where I assume the WiiU version will stay too.

edit: shoulda ported Kenzan (with trophies or whatever the WiiU equivalent is added in), that would have brought people in. I still think it's the best Yakuza game. Oh and then localized to English and I want a pony.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 17, 2013

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Crowbear posted:

He called the PS3 a total disaster and a waste of everyone's time.

Was this when it launched at five-hundred ninety-nine U.S. dollars? Because if so, he was absolutely right. Where Sony took that system from a horrendous launch is very impressive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crowbear posted:

He called the PS3 a total disaster and a waste of everyone's time, then a few years later oops sorry and by the way Portal 2 is getting a bunch of PS3 exclusive stuff.

I'm not sure if he ever actually apologized because I'm pretty sure he bided his time until the PS3 was worth his time to develop for and offered the tools he thought his game needed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fallom posted:

I'm not sure if he ever actually apologized because I'm pretty sure he bided his time until the PS3 was worth his time to develop for and offered the tools he thought his game needed.

I think the overall reverence with which he publicly held Sony the year Portal 2 came out was apology enough. Didn't he open up his presentation during the Sony E3 keynote of that year with "First off I'd like to thank Kaz for not punching me in the face" or something? Shame the PSN went down from that hacking incident basically the day Portal 2 and Socom 4 came out completely killing both games on the system.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Anyone else secretly hope that Valve releases the Steambox and just destroys the current trend in console gaming?

I bought the Wii U for 2 reason:

1) Nintendo usually does cool poo poo and their games are fun with family and friends that I can't get anywhere else
2) It isn't trying to force bullshit "take of the living room" poo poo on me

Valve should team up with the XBMC guys for an actual usable media center interface, release the Steambox advertising that its backward and forward compatible like the iPhones, disrupt the entire console market with its daily/weekly sales and be done with it. Everything I've heard so far about the latest consoles has ranked between terrible to unappealing. The fact that Microsoft and Sony think its acceptable to release a console without backward compatibility in the year of our lord 2013 is infuriating.

vvv this guy gets it.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 18, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't own a 360, PS3 or a WiiU. I don't have a 3DS (thought I'd like to get one some day soon), and I won't be getting the new Sony and Microsoft systems. I don't have the money for consoles anymore. The WiiU is like what $350? How much will the Microsoft and Sony systems be? I really wish I could just play all of their games on the PC. I'd love to be able to play Nintendo's games on my computer. Download Mario Universe through Steam, Smash Bros Universe through Steam, whatever else comes out. It'll never happen obviously but man would it be so much easier and cheaper for someone like me. I have a computer! I can afford smaller purchases like the games themselves especially when they go on sale! I can't afford a new console Nintendo :(

edit: long story short, Steam has just plain spoiled me

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Valve should team up with the XBMC guys for an actual usable media center interface, release the Steambox advertising that its backward and forward compatible like the iPhones, disrupt the entire console market with its daily/weekly sales and be done with it. Everything I've heard so far about the latest consoles has ranked between terrible to unappealing. The fact that Microsoft and Sony think its acceptable to release a console without backward compatibility in the year of our lord 2013 is infuriating.

vvv this guy gets it.
I would be ok with this if Steam could GUARANTEE every game on it (or at least, a very large and visible group of them) had a controller/ten-foot interface all the way through, from the moment you buy the game, all the way through installation and starting the game, all the way until the end. And it Just Worked, every time. Until then, I'm going to stick with consoles. I don't play games any other way anymore.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

The Wii U is Nintendos 'Dreamcast'? Looks likely at this point, the Wii U is bombing horribly, unfortunately you really can't blame anyone for that but Nintendo. It's hard to imagine they'd be in the position they are now if they actually embraced High Definition back when they released the Wii. Their ridiculously stubborn policy on online gaming cost them dearly in the end. Granted the Wii ended up being their most popular console since the SNES because of their move to try and capture the super casual market, but in the end they had to come back and try and recapture their core market because it turned out Gramma and Grandpa might enjoy Wii Sports but they sure as hell don't buy any games.

I think Nintendo focusing their hardware development entirely on the portable market and making their games for Sony and MS consoles, or hell even PC, would probably be best for them at this point. Knowing Nintendo though there isn't a chance in hell of that actually happening until they have absolutely no other options available. At the rate the Wii U is going that probably won't be far off though, maybe 2-3 years.

Haha, yeah more or less.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I still don't get how EA making GBS threads on Nintendo is a "Dreamcast moment." The company that loving buried itself up to its neck with that DRM Sim City fiasco and critically bashed Mass Effect endgame and a lovely Steam clone and won itself "worst company" somehow does not register with me as a must-have developer. Nintendo out of touch, that's fair, but EA is just as loving dumb when it comes to shooting yourself in the foot and alienating your audience. What the gently caress is EA's next big game, even? Sims 4? Who gives a poo poo?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

MinibarMatchman posted:

I still don't get how EA making GBS threads on Nintendo is a "Dreamcast moment." The company that loving buried itself up to its neck with that DRM Sim City fiasco and critically bashed Mass Effect endgame and a lovely Steam clone and won itself "worst company" somehow does not register with me as a must-have developer. Nintendo out of touch, that's fair, but EA is just as loving dumb when it comes to shooting yourself in the foot and alienating your audience. What the gently caress is EA's next big game, even? Sims 4? Who gives a poo poo?

Sims 3 is one of the best selling games of all time, with the Sims 2 and the Sims being two of the games that beat it so I dunno, a lot of people? EA might be a bad company but it is a bad company that sells games that people buy.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

I doubt you'll find many defenders of EA on these forums, true. But at the very least not having any of their sports games on the Wii U, which are (however you feel about them) a license to print money, is pretty loving bad news.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's getting called the Dreamcast Moment because EA basically told Sega to eat poo poo in similar fashion, and it can be argued that the lack of EA's support certainly didn't help the Dreamcast any. What makes it still silly is that the Dreamcast would likely have still failed even WITH EA support, because Sega was hemorrhaging money since basically the Genesis/Sega CD/32X/Nomad. In contrast, Nintendo has basically been profitable since its inception until the year the 3DS launched.

I dunno, it might be more fitting to call the Wii U Nintendo's Saturn, but it's still a silly comparison. The Wii U might flounder for a year, it might flounder for several, or it might bounce back as of E3. Nothing's guaranteed.

I know its the hip thing these days to poo poo on EA because, well, look at them they kinda earn it! Even so, they've got a history of bringing the goods that people want, and their sports games and Sims games do possess appeal that might be difficult for outsiders to grasp, similar to how some folks REALLY like CoD or Mario or Metroid or Uncharted while some pretentious forums poster snorts "Bah! Who gives a poo poo about those games! I demand innovation and only (company i really like) delivers by releasing games like (1Xth sequel or spin off of popular established IP)! Something Something INDIES WILL SAVE US!"

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

It certainly doesn't help the Wii U to have one the biggest publishers in gaming leave it behind, brands like FIFA sell like hotcakes over here in the UK and many young people with disposable money love those games. They're not gonna go on the Wii U now, but instead focus on the systems that do have it. It'll basically lead to a feedback loop where there are "NO GAMEZ" (In people's minds) because people aren't buying the system which in turn causes developers to back away and focus on other systems.

Of course, its possible for Nintendo to work on this but not without massive effort

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Publishers who fancy themselves in a position of power like to thump their chests like this. Activision did the same thing with the PS3 way back when. Now, Diablo 3 is a Sony-console exclusive.

If the Wii U picks up in sales, EA will make Wii U games, no matter how crappy Nintendo's technology is. Because unlike Sega of the DC era, they are not competing directly with EA's bread and butter by making superior licensed sports titles.

And no Nintendo hardware since the SNES has sold on the strength of 3rd party titles, much less EA ones. I'll believe Nintendo's in trouble if Mario Kart Wii U comes out and the hardware continues to fall short of 100K units a month. It's like the entire internet's brain has started running on Apple's accelerated product cycle time. Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 didn't hit the Xbox until two years after that poo poo was out, son! People rushing to shove the Wii U in the ground less than a year after it's release is crazy talk!

also tomodachi collection>>>>>>>>the sims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Publishers who fancy themselves in a position of power like to thump their chests like this. Activision did the same thing with the PS3 way back when. Now, Diablo 3 is a Sony-console exclusive.

If the Wii U picks up in sales, EA will make Wii U games, no matter how crappy Nintendo's technology is. Because unlike Sega of the DC era, they are not competing directly with EA's bread and butter by making superior licensed sports titles.

And no Nintendo hardware since the SNES has sold on the strength of 3rd party titles, much less EA ones. I'll believe Nintendo's in trouble if Mario Kart Wii U comes out and the hardware continues to fall short of 100K units a month. It's like the entire internet's brain has started running on Apple's accelerated product cycle time. Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 didn't hit the Xbox until two years after that poo poo was out, son! People rushing to shove the Wii U in the ground less than a year after it's release is crazy talk!

also tomodachi collection>>>>>>>>the sims

The Wii U is selling worse than many other recent machines at the same point in their life cycles (Wii, PS3, 360, PS2, Gamecube, DS), there's not much software available for it and there's little on the horizon, made worse by big publishers like EA saying that they have nothing planned for it. Nintendo have been caught out very ill-prepared, and as time gets nearer to the release of the PS4/next Xbox it looks fairly troubling for the mid-to-long term for the machine, with attention turning to the newer consoles from developers at least.

• Locked thread