Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

njsykora posted:

Game and Wario has a Crowdfarter page now. Or alternatively, someone at Nintendo is taking a giant swing at Kickstarter.

That is both childish and incredibly awesome at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

njsykora posted:

Game and Wario has a Crowdfarter page now. Or alternatively, someone at Nintendo is taking a giant swing at Kickstarter.

That's not a swing, that's a pretty mild parody. The closest it comes to a swing is Wario's "Crowdfarter" would fit in nicely with the awful kickstarter thread here, but that's because he's Wario.

I wouldn't read anything more into this than someone at Nintendo is aware that Kickstarter is a big thing right now and did a joking version for promoting Wario.

Cherokee Jack posted:

That is both childish and incredibly awesome at the same time.

That sums up Wario nicely.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 20, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

I think Crowdfarter has more honesty to it than Trumpfunder or whatever it's called.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, basically Kickstarter to make games would be the sort of thing Wario would get into, though rather less scrupulously than the good projects in there. Basically, it's a rather neat advertisement concept -- they get the press to talk about it, while their fans will use social media to promote the game. Heaven knows the Wii U needs help with making people aware of what few interesting exclusives it has.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Would anyone have advice for someone in Australia whose American Wii U is bricked? There was a loss of power when downloading the update and it immediately died. I called Nintendo Australia and their tone wasn't optimistic. They were like 'You can try to send it back and we'll have a look at it but we may not have the correct parts because it's American.' Am I just screwed?

I tried digging up a solution for you. This is the best thing I found but I have no idea if it will work or not. I figure it is worth trying though.

quote:

You chose not to download that update in background, and then interrupted the download. What this did infact, was put Wii U into autopilot mode, not brick mode. What this means is that when the console is turned back on, it has no option but to go ahead and download the system update and install it. Since it can’t load the UI (because it was half way through updating it), the user will just see a black screen when in fact the console is actually downloading the update. If you simply would have left the Wii U powered on while black, it would have reset after the install itself and you could resume gaming.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Xavier434 posted:

I tried digging up a solution for you. This is the best thing I found but I have no idea if it will work or not. I figure it is worth trying though.

I appeciate it you looking for a solution, but it wasnt downloading in the background, I was watching the download happen. I don't suppose it's worth plugging it into the ethernet adaptor and waiting. Is it? probably not.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I appeciate it you looking for a solution, but it wasnt downloading in the background, I was watching the download happen. I don't suppose it's worth plugging it into the ethernet adaptor and waiting. Is it? probably not.

I think he'd saying if you turn your system on, it will continue downloading and eventually install, you just can't see it because it can not load the GUI.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

greatn posted:

I think he'd saying if you turn your system on, it will continue downloading and eventually install, you just can't see it because it can not load the GUI.

This is correct assuming it is the same issue.

Power it on and leave it alone for a while. I would even be willing to wait a few hours if I were in your position because well..why not? Nothing to lose.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
One of my friends came over this weekend. He walked in on me playing with my wii-u (hehe, couldn't resist). Anyway, his response when he saw me playing MH3U was "Why the gently caress would you buy a tablet interface for your wii. Thats stupid".

I really wish Nintendo would have named the Wii-U something else. After I broke down what the wii-u actually was, he was really impressed. But pessimistic. He was really burned with the lack of AAA titles on the original wii in comparison to the 360 and ps3. So he is interested in the tech, and willing to buy in, but not until he see's that the library is not just going to be a wii repeat.

With this in mind, I came into work today and started a conversation with some of our ps3/360 people around here. And they had the same opinion "why the gently caress would I want a tablet for my wii. My wii has been in the closet for over a year." It seems that the people around me think the wii-u is the tablet and connects to their original wii. I'm getting the feeling this is a common misconception.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

This is correct assuming it is the same issue.

Power it on and leave it alone for a while. I would even be willing to wait a few hours if I were in your position because well..why not? Nothing to lose.

Yeah, toddler's first tablet and console doesn't have any games anyway, amirite? :smug:

In all seriousness good luck, AngryCaterpillar. Hope you get your system up and running again. Hopefully (HOPEFULLY) it will work. It's not the same thing but I had the system crash on me while trying to download some demo tables for Zen Pinball 2. Went back to the main menu and it turned itself off, gave me an error code, had to unplug it. When I plugged it back in and turned it on it was still downloading (didn't start over or anything) so maybe it will try doing the same, even if you can't see what's going on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cherokee Jack posted:

Yeah, toddler's first tablet and console doesn't have any games anyway, amirite? :smug:

Haha what the hell? How did you interpret his post that way? Nothing to lose means he's not going to break it any more than it already is.

Man people are getting really touchy.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Fallom posted:

Haha what the hell? How did you interpret his post that way? Nothing to lose means he's not going to break it any more than it already is.

Man people are getting really touchy.

What? No, just some really stupid joke on my part about people saying there's no games or anything worthwhile to play on it anyway so what would it matter if one couldn't use it?

If I were serious I'd be one of the various posters in the OTHER thread.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Cherokee Jack posted:

In all seriousness good luck, AngryCaterpillar. Hope you get your system up and running again. Hopefully (HOPEFULLY) it will work. It's not the same thing but I had the system crash on me while trying to download some demo tables for Zen Pinball 2. Went back to the main menu and it turned itself off, gave me an error code, had to unplug it. When I plugged it back in and turned it on it was still downloading (didn't start over or anything) so maybe it will try doing the same, even if you can't see what's going on.

Thanks Jack. I think what Xavier's blurb was saying was that if you choose not to download the update right away, it will download in the background (I know it does this), and if you turn it off while background downloading, the screen will be blank when you turn it back on. But I wasn't letting it download in the background, I chose to download it once it was online. But maybe it doesn't matter whether it was downloading in the foreground or the background? I'll try it next time I get the chance anyway.

Kilazar posted:

It seems that the people around me think the wii-u is the tablet and connects to their original wii. I'm getting the feeling this is a common misconception.

I think the people with this conception outnumber those who understand what it is.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 20, 2013

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Mercury Crusader posted:

If, for whatever reason, you haven't bought New Super Mario Bros. U yet, Amazon has it listed for $40 at the moment. Lego City: Undercover is also $40.

Part of me wants to just buy one of these or both now, so when I get my system in the next month or so I already have a couple of games. Do these two games go on sale often enough that I can wait?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Thanks Jack. I think what Xavier's blurb was saying was that if you choose not to download the update right away, it will download in the background (I know it does this), and if you turn it off while background downloading, the screen will be blank when you turn it back on. But I wasn't letting it download in the background, I chose to download it once it was online. But maybe it doesn't matter whether it was downloading in the foreground or the background? I'll try it next time I get the chance anyway.

I think the people with this conception outnumber those who understand what it is.

I think you're misreading it. It says the reason you have no GUI is because you downloaded in the foreground, but if you turn it on and leave it on it will eventually finish downloading, but that if you had been downloading in the background, you'd still have the GUI.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

In any case, the information I got was from some random poster on IGN so this heavily falls into the "who knows?" category. Still worth trying because even if that poster's understanding of the problem isn't accurate the solution might be in certain cases.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Part of me wants to just buy one of these or both now, so when I get my system in the next month or so I already have a couple of games. Do these two games go on sale often enough that I can wait?

editing this first sentence: I really couldn't say how often they go on sale, probably not very. NSMBU is $60 retail, regular price of Lego City is $50 which is kind of amazing actually.

Of the two I personally had more fun with Lego City just because I loving SUCK at NSMBU. Like, I-need-Luigi-to-show-me-what-to-do levels of suck. :negative:

Getting back to the sale price, Mario would be $20 savings so that might be more appealing.

edit #2: How old is Super Mario Galaxy 2? It still retails for $60.

Cherokee Jack fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 20, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cherokee Jack posted:

edit #2: How old is Super Mario Galaxy 2? It still retails for $60.

Nintendo's big games tend to have about the longest tail in video games with steady demand that goes for years.

OTOH, anything not Mario or Zelda tends to go through the usual price movements.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

njsykora posted:

Oh my god, the trailer is narrated by Wario. :allears:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's the best thing ever. I want to make Wario rich.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

njsykora posted:

This is amazing. Make Wario the new spokesperson for the WiiU, Nintendo. All commercials should be just like that video

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 20, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm tired of ultra rich mega corporations like Wario Ware Inc. trying to exploit crowd funding. Wario has all the gold coins he needs to publish whatever the gently caress he wants. Don't give him a single coin. I can't believe some people are actually tossing in red coins and dragon coins as well.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's perfect!

Is this the first time since Peach's letter in SM64 that a Mario character has spoken more than two or three words?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Iacen posted:

That's perfect!

Is this the first time since Peach's letter in SM64 that a Mario character has spoken more than two or three words?

Didn't Peach, Bowser Jr, and Bowser speak quite a bit in Super Mario Sunshine?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I mean more than gibberish voices, sorry :)

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Rirse posted:

Didn't Peach, Bowser Jr, and Bowser speak quite a bit in Super Mario Sunshine?

yes and lets never bring it up ever again

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pixeltendo posted:

Oh my god FLUDD is the character prototype for Fi! I just realized, what have you done?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pixeltendo posted:

You forgot Toadsworth, who had the BEST voice outside of cutscenes.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

I'm tired of ultra rich mega corporations like Wario Ware Inc. trying to exploit crowd funding. Wario has all the gold coins he needs to publish whatever the gently caress he wants. Don't give him a single coin. I can't believe some people are actually tossing in red coins and dragon coins as well.

Unless they throw in all their red coins, don't they disappear after 30 seconds or so? :iiam:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Wario only had one pipe on his house. He clearly is not rich anymore.

:colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Clearly he needs our money.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
While Wario "needs"our money, Mario has been out there earning it himself, with his technological innovations such as the gold flower and the coin rush mode.

Even if you were to say he has an unfair advantage because of owning E. Gadd laboratories, the simple P-switch has existed for 25 years now. It's public domain and easy to construct. Are there no bricks in Wario Land?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Handsome Ralph posted:

$40 for New Super Mario Bros. U is the cheapest I've seen for the game as of late ($60 MSRP, but Amazon usually has it for $50). And Nintendo games, specifically Mario titles, rarely drop in price unless they're "Player's Choice" reprints. Lego City: Undercover is a very recent game, so it having a discount this early in the game isn't too bad. You can't go wrong with either or both.

greatn posted:

While Wario "needs"our money, Mario has been out there earning it himself, with his technological innovations such as the gold flower and the coin rush mode.

Even if you were to say he has an unfair advantage because of owning E. Gadd laboratories, the simple P-switch has existed for 25 years now. It's public domain and easy to construct. Are there no bricks in Wario Land?

Bricks don't fight back. Wario has to earn cash the hard way: by shoulder tackling pirates and other undesirables for their money. Also, Mario doesn't have pirates stealing his poo poo all the time.

In addition, while Mario and friends can just buy all their stuff at full retail price, Wario is barely scrapping by and has to wait until stores have huge discounts that he can take advantage of. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3nEewfYw8

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 20, 2013

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So I am going on a long car trip with the kids to see the grandparents this weekend and in light of the event I decided to buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MDXS0U/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since the Wii U does not require a video cable to be connected in order to function I connected it using that device inside of my car along with the gamepad for charging and it works flawlessly. Looking forward to the trip being just that much more peaceful and if I get lucky my wife will take the wheel and I can get a little Monster Hunter in. I know it is selling like crap and the game library is quite small right now but I love this system. :)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Did the patch come out for Monster Hunter to work just on the gamepad?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Sire Oblivion posted:

Did the patch come out for Monster Hunter to work just on the gamepad?

Over a month ago now, yeah

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Kilazar posted:

With this in mind, I came into work today and started a conversation with some of our ps3/360 people around here. And they had the same opinion "why the gently caress would I want a tablet for my wii. My wii has been in the closet for over a year." It seems that the people around me think the wii-u is the tablet and connects to their original wii. I'm getting the feeling this is a common misconception.

Makes sense. I knew it was a new platform all along, but I didn't even know what the console itself looked like until I saw a store display at Target. You know, the store display that doesn't actually let you play any games :v:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

njsykora posted:

This is the best promo for a game ever :aaaaa:

Too bad it sounds like this game is awful, I was really looking forward to it :negative:

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I will be happy to use my Wii U again once games start coming out. However, I haven't been able to update the system due to the whole 2.4ghz saturation thing (and 5ghz being taken up by the gamepad). I certainly don't want to contribute even more to the congestion by getting an extender, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Iacen posted:

That's perfect!

There was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqh1rAfOns8

• Locked thread