Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Pixeltendo posted:

Also eshop related but 3 kirby games are up, if you buy 2 you get the third free.

Wow, when did Nintendo start getting good at Internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

zenintrude posted:

Wow, when did Nintendo start getting good at Internet?

It looking to be a regular feature too, as they made a new page on their website.

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/deals

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe they listened to all the surveys I filled out where I said their pricing was bullshit.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Yesss, Kirby Super Star, Dream Land 3, and Dream Course. I was already gonna buy two of those anyways, so getting the third for nothing is awesome.

I've got the first two as part of Kirby's Dream Collection so I guess I'll just get Dream Course. Is that one any good or just skip it?

Also, is Super Ghouls N Ghosts really hard? I'd like to try it out but at $7.99 I'm not quite sure.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

greatn posted:

Maybe they listened to all the surveys I filled out where I said their pricing was bullshit.

No, they listened to the surveys I filled out where I said I'd spend more money on the eShop if they made sales regularly. I was nice about it so of course it was me. :v:

Too bad they haven't listened to me about convincing SNK Playmore to put Neo Geo Pocket Color games on the 3DS VC.

Cherokee Jack posted:

Also, is Super Ghouls N Ghosts really hard? I'd like to try it out but at $7.99 I'm not quite sure.

All games in the mainline Ghosts 'n Goblins series are pretty hard, compared to any other game you might be familiar with. They were originally punishingly hard arcade games made to take your quarters, so expect to die a lot. In GnG games, you get two hits and are done, with armor power-ups being rather scarce, and jumping is dedicated. If you jump in a direction, you'd better hope that's where you wanted to go because you don't have any air control at all. In Super GnG, you can only fire weapons left or right (the previous game let you shoot up and, if you're in mid-air, down) but you have a double-jump which can be used to change your jump direction once. Expect to hear this music constantly because you're probably gonna be stuck on stage 1 for a while until you get used to how things work.

I'd say go for it, it's a really fun game, but keep in mind I say the same about any difficult game that requires a combination of skill, rote memorization, and luck, such as Battletoads, NES Castlevania games, NES Ninja Gaiden games, and every GnG game ever made.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 23, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cherokee Jack posted:

I've got the first two as part of Kirby's Dream Collection so I guess I'll just get Dream Course. Is that one any good or just skip it?

I always play through the first few worlds of Dream Course then quit, but I find myself buying it enthusiastically every time it's released, and playing the hell out of the levels I'm good at. It's a really fun unique twist on mini golf.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

All games in the mainline Ghosts 'n Goblins series are pretty hard, compared to any other game you might be familiar with. They were originally punishingly hard arcade games made to take your quarters, so expect to die a lot. In GnG games, you get two hits and are done, with armor power-ups being rather scarce, and jumping is dedicated. If you jump in a direction, you'd better hope that's where you wanted to go because you don't have any air control at all. In Super GnG, you can only fire weapons left or right (the previous game let you shoot up and, if you're in mid-air, down) but you have a double-jump which can be used to change your jump direction once.

I'd say go for it, it's a really fun game, but keep in mind I say the same about any difficult game that requires a combination of skill, rote memorization, and luck, such as Battletoads, NES Castlevania games, NES Ninja Gaiden games, and every GnG game ever made.

That's sort of what I was afraid of. I had the Genesis version and it was pretty fun (difficult but I think the SNES version was even harder, though I could be wrong) but I also was younger and was more tolerant of difficulty and had better reflexes. I'll seriously think about it though, thanks.

greatn posted:

I always play through the first few worlds of Dream Course then quit, but I find myself buying it enthusiastically every time it's released, and playing the hell out of the levels I'm good at. It's a really fun unique twist on mini golf.

It's probably something my wife would really enjoy (me too, probably). She really loves the Kirby games so it'd be a nice pre-birthday gift before I get her a 3DS XL.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I'd like to mention that if you like Dream Course, you may want to seek out this little gem:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cherokee Jack posted:

That's sort of what I was afraid of. I had the Genesis version and it was pretty fun (difficult but I think the SNES version was even harder, though I could be wrong) but I also was younger and was more tolerant of difficulty and had better reflexes. I'll seriously think about it though, thanks.

I'd say it is the harder of the two. Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Genesis is one of my top favorite Genesis games and I was able to beat it. I've yet to beat Super GnG. Losing the ability to throw upward was a big deal. The double jump is great for correcting some of your bad jumps, but a lot of the level design is built around using that double jump to clear crazy large gaps that you will barely make if your first jump wasn't close enough to the edge. But yeah, if you enjoyed Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Genesis enough, I'd say give Super a shot, even if it is a harder game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So Sega posted this, it's the new characters for Sonic: Lost World

I think they're less friends and more bosses personally.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ive bought all the 30 cent sales and done the surveys for them for sweet sweet N points.
I always say I bought because of the sale and that I will buy more sale items.

I think we should all be supporting the buisness behaviors we want with out hard earned $$$. I think its working and they are experimenting ithe buy one get other cheap type sales. They are so close to a Kirby collection, come on Nintendo you can do it!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So Sega posted this, it's the new characters for Sonic: Lost World

I think they're less friends and more bosses personally.

Is that the dragon from Mulan?

(obviously not)

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
So are all 3 of these Kirby games worth it? (I never played the original versions, so have no nostalgic reasons for buying them.)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Balcony posted:

So are all 3 of these Kirby games worth it? I never played the original versions, so have no nostalgic reasons for buying them.

Of the three, Kirby Super Star gives you the most bang for your buck, and is often considered the best Kirby game. If you're only planning on getting one of the three, that's the one you'll want to get.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Balcony posted:

So are all 3 of these Kirby games worth it? (I never played the original versions, so have no nostalgic reasons for buying them.)

They are very good, but I'd recommend the Kirby Dream Collection for the Wii before picking up them up that way.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Of the three, Kirby Super Star gives you the most bang for your buck, and is often considered the best Kirby game. If you're only planning on getting one of the three, that's the one you'll want to get.

Kirby's Dream Land 2 would like to have a word with you.

But yes, Kirby Super Star is a superb game with a ton of different modes and mini games. Getting a friend and fighting your way through the boss battle marathon is highly satisfying by the time you actually manage to clear it. I don't recall if it was actually difficult or if it was just that I was 10.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

zerox147o posted:

Kirby's Dream Land 2 would like to have a word with you.

My personal all-time favorite best Kirby game is Kirby's Adventure, so :shrug:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

My personal all-time favorite best Kirby game is Kirby's Adventure, so :shrug:

You don't even get to ride a hamster!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zenintrude posted:

I've played nearly all of them in between... Prototype(s), Red Dead Redemption, GTA4, Just Cause(s), Mercenaries(s), and on... all have had their ups and downs, but Bully and LCU are both completely enjoyable romps from start to finish.

I know it's crazy, but some people have different opinions than you! :haw:

[edit] Come to think of it, I like the first Crackdown as much as I like Bully and LCU.

Red Dead Redemption was one of the best games of the most recent generation. It also had great DLC. (I agree that the first Crackdown was awesome, especially in co-op. They really messed up the sequel by rushing it.)

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Is there any way to unpair or re-pair a Wii U gamepad? My TV bit the shitter, I bought a new one...but now I've got no video on the tv and my guess is that it's a pairing issue.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Akileese posted:

Is there any way to unpair or re-pair a Wii U gamepad? My TV bit the shitter, I bought a new one...but now I've got no video on the tv and my guess is that it's a pairing issue.

I don't understand. The Gamepad syncs with the Wii U. Not your TV. Heck, you don't even need a TV to use the Wii U with a gamepad at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Akileese posted:

Go to system settings and there's an option there.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Nevermind. I forgot this is Nintendo being the worst loving technology company ever. You cannot hook up the Wii U via an HDMI hub. It will not work at all. So I had to hook it in directly.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 23, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Maybe buy a TV or HDMI hub that works next time.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Chronojam posted:

Maybe buy a TV or HDMI hub that works next time.

Helpful post! Two hubs and two tvs. Pretty sure that isn't the issue at this point.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Akileese posted:

Helpful post! Two hubs and two tvs. Pretty sure that isn't the issue at this point.

You never said it didn't work with the old TV either, which makes me wonder why you thought it would work with the new TV (then again you blamed the miracast gamepad for your HDMI problems, too).

The following models have been confirmed to work by people in the US and Europe:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=8147&seq=1&format=2
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-High-Performance-Switcher-Switch/dp/B0015YWKYY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-Switcher-Remote-Support/dp/B00264NZWS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1356474004&sr=8-6&keywords=hdmi+switch

I hope you didn't spend more than like $15 on your old hubs.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Akileese posted:

Mine works with a hub.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Mine works fine on a source splitter.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

These guys picked a couple different models to the ones I linked with more ports available, in case your TV only has one HDMI input and you have four devices. A bit pricier.

The 4x1 one uses a remote, the 3x1 they recommend (that I've seen others suggest) actually is smart enough to check which device is sending a signal, and then swaps automatically. Of course that means it's probably best for your consoles and not sharing the switch with an always-on PC.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Looks like next week's VC titles will be Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Spelunker.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Chronojam posted:

These guys picked a couple different models to the ones I linked with more ports available, in case your TV only has one HDMI input and you have four devices. A bit pricier.

The 4x1 one uses a remote, the 3x1 they recommend (that I've seen others suggest) actually is smart enough to check which device is sending a signal, and then swaps automatically. Of course that means it's probably best for your consoles and not sharing the switch with an always-on PC.

I have a 4 in 1 monoprice one actually. I just happen to have about five devices connected through HDMI (including my PC). No idea why it's not working and my old one, which was a 2 in 1 didn't either. I find it extremely bizarre that a device like a Wii U would be picky as poo poo about which HDMI switches it functions with since each one does the same thing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

Looks like next week's VC titles will be Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Spelunker.

Shame, as there probably won't be any neat specials for these games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Rirse posted:

Shame, as there probably won't be any neat specials for these games.

They put Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts on the store a week or two ago, they could do a discount on Ghosts 'n' Goblins if you already bought that I guess.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's probably up to Capcom if they want to do a sale.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Speaking of sales I hope Nintendo keeps up the sale on Mario games if you own previous ones. So next one 30% off if you own one 55% off if you own both Super Mario World and Super Mario Brothers 2. It would be an interesting take on how steam does it, and I could get a complete Mario collection on my wiiU for a pretty reasonable price if by the 10th game owning the 9 previous games gave you a 75-80% discount.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

pixaal posted:

Speaking of sales I hope Nintendo keeps up the sale on Mario games if you own previous ones. So next one 30% off if you own one 55% off if you own both Super Mario World and Super Mario Brothers 2. It would be an interesting take on how steam does it, and I could get a complete Mario collection on my wiiU for a pretty reasonable price if by the 10th game owning the 9 previous games gave you a 75-80% discount.

I don't think we're getting that high a discount on Super Mario Universe :v:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Wake me up when the Kirby promotion hits Europe. We didn't get that Kirby collection at all by the way. :sigh:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL-land has a different Kirby promotion - you get 30% off Superstar/Dream Course if you own Kirby's Adventure.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Well I'm super interested in this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

WHAT please god let this be real. nintendo gonna win e3

• Locked thread