Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Conot posted:

Effectively, UO is entirely chillaxed unless your role plays a large part in the missions success (i.e. pilot of the transport chopper thats carrying half the server, leader of the mission, leader of a platoon), which you shouldn't really be playing while you're inexperienced with UO and the ACE stuff. I've literally played mortars having never learnt how to do them before, and while some people were snarky in the after-mission about how ineffective mortars were, there was no chewing out.

Just to echo this - I've been hopping on and off with them for the last few weeks, I've intentionally never had any more responsibility that Automatic Rifleman and it's a real blast. Sometimes they take their briefings and AARs a little too seriously IMO but it's usually necessary with 50+ players on the server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Illuminati by Nature posted:

Just to echo this - I've been hopping on and off with them for the last few weeks, I've intentionally never had any more responsibility that Automatic Rifleman and it's a real blast. Sometimes they take their briefings and AARs a little too seriously IMO but it's usually necessary with 50+ players on the server.

My personal rule of thumb is "Unless your commanding or doing tranport, ignore everything in the briefing not related to what you have to do". Your head will bleed trying to hold all the information relevant to the mission at once.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I stopped playing with UO just because their briefings took anywhere from 20-40 minutes and you'd start a mission and it'd either be bugged and needed a restart or half of the server would die in 5 minutes and they'd keep going at the mission for a longass time (if there was no respawn). If there was JIP sometimes you'd sit at base for a long rear end time for transport to pick you up.

This was about 6 months ago so I'm sure some things have changed...

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

GoldenNugget posted:

I stopped playing with UO just because their briefings took anywhere from 20-40 minutes and you'd start a mission and it'd either be bugged and needed a restart or half of the server would die in 5 minutes and they'd keep going at the mission for a longass time (if there was no respawn). If there was JIP sometimes you'd sit at base for a long rear end time for transport to pick you up.

This was about 6 months ago so I'm sure some things have changed...

Just want to say I had the epitome of this last night - sat through a 35 minute briefing and just as we were moving out the server crashed :ughh:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The briefings CAN be bad, which is I have my rule about not listening to anything not relevant to me, but its a issue, when you have 60 odd people and only one of you, to get everyone to know what they're doing.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Well, never mind! Commando missions are much more fun than girls anyway!
I used to play Arma 2 with a group just this side of spergy, and we found the best way to deal with briefings for big games (especially if there were other groups taking part) was to do an in-depth one for the players who had a critical role (e.g. team leaders, pilots) about 15-20 minutes before everyone else turned up. Those guys would then do their own briefings in their own channels, cutting out all the non-relevant stuff. Sucks if you're one of the people who has to turn up early, but it spares 90% of the players from listening to stuff they don't need (or want) to know.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.
One of the problems I have with UO happened just last night, in a 30 or so player coop mission with IEDs and Minesweepers. In order to make sure everyone didn't die from one IED going off, we were to stand about 10 paces apart from each other (Or make sure no one else was in our inner circle on the ShackTac hud, but mostly people used 10 paces), which, yaknow, made sense. The problem was that our commander/my squad leader were massive spergs who would only accept exactly 10 paces apart, god help you if you were 9, 11 or even 12 paces away. Eventually one dude in my squad ran off on his own and got blown up. I like to imagine he just got tired of having some fat neckbeard yelling at him because didn't use proper spacing in a video game about military mans shooting things.

e: vvv No, he just eyeballed it

Twenty Drunk Apes fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 20, 2013

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

One of the problems I have with UO happened just last night, in a 30 or so player coop mission with IEDs and Minesweepers. In order to make sure everyone didn't die from one IED going off, we were to stand about 10 paces apart from each other (Or make sure no one else was in our inner circle on the ShackTac hud, but mostly people used 10 paces), which, yaknow, made sense. The problem was that our commander/my squad leader were massive spergs who would only accept exactly 10 paces apart, god help you if you were 9, 11 or even 12 paces away. Eventually one dude in my squad ran off on his own and got blown up. I like to imagine he just got tired of having some fat neckbeard yelling at him because didn't use proper spacing in a video game about military mans shooting things.

That level of spergery is pretty rare even with UO. I've never had someone go quite that nuts on me with that group. How are you even supposed to maintain exactly 10 paces of spacing in a video game where depth is hard to judge anyway? Did the squad leader actually walk between everyone and count steps or something? Ridiculous.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Chortles posted:

Also... have some Gun Game TDM.

I loved me some gun game back in the CS days. It's great because it naturally balances skill level: the worse you are, the more of an equipment advantage you have.

We need to play the poo poo out of this. Anyone up for hosting, say, the coming weekend?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

The problem was that our commander/my squad leader were massive spergs who would only accept exactly 10 paces apart, god help you if you were 9, 11 or even 12 paces away.

Isn't a suitable response to this "whatever, fuckface" or does that get you kicked out of the game? I've never played with other than good friends, so it never gets too crazy. Or rather, it gets to the right amount of crazy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Heads up to dev branch players, a "Sniper Package" is incoming "in the Alpha update after the one tomorrow" on dev branch: a sniper/spotter duo for BLUFOR, one for OPFOR, an ("improved") ghillie suit, an anti-material rifle (AMR), and a portable rangefinder.

Also:

quote:

Unlimited saves will be disabled for all difficulties except "Recruit". This means you'll have only one save slot per mission, which you cannot overwrite. It should motivate you not to be reckless and stimulate you to plan your every step. Scenario designers should take this into consideration and balance their scenarios appropriately; offering automatic checkpoints and tweaking enemy strength is a good place to start. We hope to expand upon this decision in a blog post at a later date.
Finally, not only will Alpha Lite be unavailable after June 18th but it's also getting removed from Steam Libraries:

quote:

Keep in mind the Arma 3 Alpha Lite will become unavailable after June 18. This means it will be disabled as Steam application and be removed from your libraries. Any unclaimed Lite access codes will be revoked. From that moment we will enter a phase during which you can only access Arma 3 by purchasing it. As with all of our previous games, we will definitely return to the free game space with a demo after full release.
I've got one more Alpha Lite code, two if MisterFreshman doesn't soon identify himself on Steam and MisterFreshman has redeemed the other, so it's still just one Alpha Lite code left, good until June 18, 2013! My Arma 3 Alpha Lite invites are depleted, ask another goon if it's not already June 18th or later.

Ralith posted:

I loved me some gun game back in the CS days. It's great because it naturally balances skill level: the worse you are, the more of an equipment advantage you have.

We need to play the poo poo out of this. Anyone up for hosting, say, the coming weekend?
Considering giving it a shot myself, pun not intended; how about Death Match 4 as well?

Chortles fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 4, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Heads up, the latest stable patch is here, v0.58.105358.

... and just like the time that "MXM becomes 6.5 mm but only takes the 7.62 mm suppressor" went from dev build only to end up in a stable build patch, the "running and combat pace while aiming down sights are reversed" bug from dev build made it into this stable build.
:ughh:

On the other hand, over in dev build (v0.59.105634) we've finally got a "fuzzy peripheral vision instead of just black around the lens" scope, the Sniper Optical Sights (a claimed 10x-85x). It can be zeroed from 300 meters to 2300 meters (in hundred-meter increments up to 1000 m, then two-hundred-meter increments up to 2000 m) and it has a built in back-up iron sight (BUIS) on top of the scope so it too is a "dual optic"/"hybrid sight".

Also, there's a specific "Men (Sniper)" class category in addition to "Men (Diver)" that comes with a ghillie suit, pistol (for OPFOR it's suppressed), magazines, smoke grenades, APERS tripwire mine, claymore mine and portable rangefinder (binoculars slot) for everyone except the OPFOR Sniper (oddly enough); the BLUFOR Sniper gets a M320 LRR in .408, the OPFOR Sniper gets a GM6 Lynx in 12.7 x 108 mm, and both come with the SOS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Haha, holy poo poo, rangefinder and sniper scope.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Is there a picture of the blurred peripheral vision with sniper scopes? Also can we change moa etc.?

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ, a 10x-85x scope? Most spotting scopes don't go that high. I don't give a poo poo if it is from the magic land of 2035, something like that should practically double the weight of the rifle it's mounted on.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I guess the dedicated server file got released yesterday, anyone feel like hosting a server?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, rangefinder and sniper scope.
The "Rangefinder" has a claimed 3x-60x magnification, but function-wise it goes in the Binoculars slot and it has laser rangefinding, bearing and view mode (default "VIS" or nightvision) displayed in real-time; up top you get your bearing in degrees (labeled "AZT"), on the right you get the range/distance in meters to your point of aim, and on the left the view mode.

GoldenNugget posted:

Is there a picture of the blurred peripheral vision with sniper scopes? Also can we change moa etc.?

The sniper scope ("Sniper Optical Sights") uses a mildot reticle and has two zoom levels with default keybinds of NumPad +/- (GoldenNugget is this what you meant by "change moa"?) along with a default zero of 500 m and a minimum zero of 300 m; it can be zeroed in 100 meter increments out to 1000 m, out to 2000 m in 200 m increments, and then the next step up is to the maximum distance of 2300 m... no knobs turning on the scope model though. :spergin: It is detachable from the anti-materiel rifles (AMRs), so for example you can use the SOS with both the MXM and the EBR and seemingly other weapons as well.

MrDorf posted:

Jesus christ, a 10x-85x scope? Most spotting scopes don't go that high. I don't give a poo poo if it is from the magic land of 2035, something like that should practically double the weight of the rifle it's mounted on.
Considering that both the RCO and the ARCO are claimed to be 12x, I'm going to chalk up the "10x-85x" number to "BI can't do magnification powers math".

Class names:
BLUFOR Sniper: "b_sniper_F"
BLUFOR Spotter: "b_spotter_F"
OPFOR Sniper: "o_sniper_F"
OPFOR Spotter: "o_spotter_F"

M320 LRR: "srifle_LRR_F"
LRR+SOS: "srifle_LRR_SOS_F"
M320 Mag: "7Rnd_408_Mag"
Ammo: "B_408_Ball"

GM6 Lynx: "srifle_GM6_F"
GM6+SOS: "srifle_GM6_SOS_F"
GM6 Mag: "5Rnd_127x108_Mag"
Ammo: "B_127x108_APDS"

Rangefinder: "rangefinder" (use addWeapon)
SO Scope: "optic_SOS" (use addPrimaryWeaponItem)
Ghillie Suit: "u_b_ghilliesuit" (use addUniform)

It appears that neither sniper rifle is compatible with the existing Flashlight, IR Laser Pointer or (understandably) any of the suppressors... but they're compatible with every vanilla optic, including the standalone collimator sights. Oh, and for you "pistol TDM" players, I've since realized that the thirty-round 9 mm mags meant for the Scorpion EVO 4, PDW2000, and ACP-C2 are also compatible with both the P07 and the ROOK-40. :black101:

Someone's already rolled out a shooting range mission all about the "Sniper Package" for dev branch players.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Re: scope chat, I can't find the actual numbers from Bohemia, but are you guys sure they actually mean 10x-85x magnification, rather than 10x magnification with 85 being the diameter of the lens in mm?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not a gun-goon, but aren't actual rifle sniper range from 9x to 12x? The 80x seems a big jump.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
If I had to guess they meant 10x85, so the 85 is the aperture size and the 10 is the magnification.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Chortles posted:

The sniper scope ("Sniper Optical Sights") uses a mildot reticle and has two zoom levels with default keybinds of NumPad +/- (GoldenNugget is this what you meant by "change moa"?)
He probably meant adjusting for range, which is kind of in, but the progress is automated into directly choosing the range instead of having to consult a range table first. Personally I'd really like having to do range and wind adjustments by MOA using a range table, but I'm a bit :spergin: like that.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Chortles posted:

The sniper scope ("Sniper Optical Sights") uses a mildot reticle and has two zoom levels with default keybinds of NumPad +/- (GoldenNugget is this what you meant by "change moa"?) along with a default zero of 500 m and a minimum zero of 300 m; it can be zeroed in 100 meter increments out to 1000 m, out to 2000 m in 200 m increments, and then the next step up is to the maximum distance of 2300 m... no knobs turning on the scope model though. :spergin: It is detachable from the anti-materiel rifles (AMRs), so for example you can use the SOS with both the MXM and the EBR and seemingly other weapons as well.

Thanks for the shots! Looks a lot better than what it was. I do kind of wish they would do what RO does with the peripheral vision unzoomed and the zoomed bit only in the scope (especially now that they have render to texture), but I suppose that takes a lot of resources and significant engine changes.

Sniper Party posted:

He probably meant adjusting for range, which is kind of in, but the progress is automated into directly choosing the range instead of having to consult a range table first. Personally I'd really like having to do range and wind adjustments by MOA using a range table, but I'm a bit :spergin: like that.

And yeah, this is what I meant. I was hoping for them to incorporate range cards from the start so we wouldn't have to rely on ACE to incorporate it in.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I have this love hate thing going on with the ARMA series.

I love the premise of the game, I love the amount of equipment, I love the huge enviroments, I love the modibility of the engine. I hate everything about infantry combat from the really lovely death animations, the clunky tank like controls for infantry, and the god awful comm system, my god do I hate the awful comm system. Every time I hear "5 -INFANTRY - RIGHT - 300 METERS" I want to punch something.

Luckily for me so far ARMA 3 has solved most of my problems with the series or at least made them tolerable, and this is only Alpha. So it can only get better :D. I am having a blast playing this Death Match 4 game linked earlier

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

KildarX posted:

Every time I hear "5 -INFANTRY - RIGHT - 300 METERS" I want to punch something.

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9... HALT! :downs:

The scope changes look cool, couldn't be that big an issue to unzoom the outsides could it? Even if it was a graphics option, although maybe that would venture into a gameplay tweak.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bondematt posted:

If I had to guess they meant 10x85, so the 85 is the aperture size and the 10 is the magnification.

That was my first thought, but thinking about every other scope in the game convinced me otherwise as everything is over magnified. Through a real 20x sight the hood of a car, standing vertical, painted white, and sitting in an open field is pretty drat small at 1500m (that's nearly a mile). If that sight zeros out to 2300m then I'm sure it's zooming way past 20x so the player has a chance of hitting something. At 85x zoom the game would basically turn into a bench rest simulation with your reticle jumping around from your heartbeat alone, but I'm sure they'll handwave that with futuretech. Also with an 85mm objective you're transcending rifle optic and strapping an astronomy telescope to your rifle.

Honestly it doesn't matter, I'll still use the poo poo out of it, but as someone who shoots long range for fun reading about a 10-85x sight broke my brain.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 24, 2013

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

I do kind of wish they would do what RO does with the peripheral vision unzoomed and the zoomed bit only in the scope (especially now that they have render to texture), but I suppose that takes a lot of resources and significant engine changes.

It won't require engine changes, it's possible to do right now. Issue is it'll run like poo poo as the game has to render the scene twice. RO2 for example down scales the resolution inside the scope which usually means your scope is a blurry mess defeating the purpose of using a scope to begin with. Now look at the performance drop with having the incredibly low-res render to texture that the mirrors in cars have, and imagine increasing that ten fold to make a half usable scope.

Ain't going to happen until there's some better way of doing it without re-rendering the entire scene twice.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Chortles posted:

Considering giving it a shot myself, pun not intended; how about Death Match 4 as well?

Sounds great! When will you be able? I'm in for any time afternoon/evening pacific time from now through Sunday.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

KildarX posted:

I love the premise of the game, I love the amount of equipment, I love the huge enviroments, I love the modibility of the engine. I hate everything about infantry combat from the really lovely death animations, the clunky tank like controls for infantry, and the god awful comm system, my god do I hate the awful comm system. Every time I hear "5 -INFANTRY - RIGHT - 300 METERS" I want to punch something.
Uh yeah sorry this was unironically the best part of ArmA

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Ralith posted:

Sounds great! When will you be able? I'm in for any time afternoon/evening pacific time from now through Sunday.
I should be on tonight at 8 pm Eastern or after, then I have Monday off from work so I should be able to play.

KildarX posted:

I am having a blast playing this Death Match 4 game linked earlier
Are you at all interested in using dev branch and the "Sniper Package", or would you guys rather stick to stable branch?

See, I ask this because I managed to add the "Sniper Package" rifles and scope to the latest version (as in, uploaded maybe an hour ago if even?) of Death Match 4...

Chortles fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 26, 2013

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Chortles posted:

I should be on tonight at 8 pm Eastern or after, then I have Monday off from work so I should be able to play.
Are you at all interested in using dev branch and the "Sniper Package", or would you guys rather stick to stable branch?

See, I ask this because I managed to add the "Sniper Package" rifles and scope to the latest version (as in, uploaded maybe an hour ago if even?) of Death Match 4...

I don't know how to access Dev Branch, but I'd give it a shot.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

KildarX posted:

Right click on the game in Steam, hit properties, go to the "Betas" tab, and select the dev beta.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Any single player/coop missions that people can recommend? I've tried out a string of totally poo poo downloads and I can't imagine the... armaholics haven't produced some good stuff already.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Uh yeah sorry this was unironically the best part of ArmA

I loved the OFP radio voiced and still do and I my first reaction to hearing the radio voices in Arma 1 and 2 was disappointment.
There is just something about the quality and the way it sounds like its actually coming over a radio that makes the OFP voices so good.
That and you could pitch change them to hilarious degrees.
AYE SAY AGEEN!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

I loved the OFP radio voiced and still do and I my first reaction to hearing the radio voices in Arma 1 and 2 was disappointment.
There is just something about the quality and the way it sounds like its actually coming over a radio that makes the OFP voices so good.
That and you could pitch change them to hilarious degrees.
AYE SAY AGEEN!

"drat, 1, IS DOWN! THIS IS, 2, TAKING COMMAND!"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You know your squad is hosed when its 9 in command.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Chortles posted:

Will be waiting on mumble ( 76.72.167.240:64738 if anyone isn't aware). Not sure when I'll be back on Monday but I'll try for then too. Hope to see you on there soon, as I'll have to cut off to watch game of thrones later.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

I had my first taste of 'Stratis Life' today. It was... Something.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

KildarX posted:

Never mind, hop back to or stay on stable, I'm running around in Wasteland with Ralith and always be closing (we're on the Mumble).

Chortles fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 27, 2013

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Rendering a whole scene twice isn't a big deal.
It already does shadows and PIP, I think they're just lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Safetyland posted:

I had my first taste of 'Stratis Life' today. It was... Something.

I'm so sorry.