Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Thundarr posted:

All they need to do to nerf it is for people to not go all deer-in-the-headlights and shoot me. By rights there's no way I should have survived some of the poo poo I've pulled since GU9 if even a few of those guys had the wherewithal to actually return fire.

There's no way because there actually ISN'T a way. I don't think you VS people get that the ZOE MAX's speed is such that in even slightly laggy conditions the hit detection doesn't work and we literally CAN'T hit you because you're moving too fast for the client to actually figure out you're getting hit. And then you wonder why people are shooting at you and missing, it's because we're unloading full clips into your face and registering 0 damage. This happened to me about 7 or 8 times today.

It's as bad as the old bug of jumping people's hitboxes being completely in the wrong place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Thundarr posted:

All they need to do to nerf it is for people to not go all deer-in-the-headlights and shoot me. By rights there's no way I should have survived some of the poo poo I've pulled since GU9 if even a few of those guys had the wherewithal to actually return fire.

I routinely mag-dump ZOE maxes who return fire and have a TTK of something like .1 second. You also can't deci them because they move too fast. I've personally seen on several occasions a ZOE max come in and wipe out an ENTIRE loving SQUAD standing in a room, all firing on the MAX and not killing it.

I don't know how to fix ZOE, but it's infuriating as all hell fighting against. Our shield doesn't give us any offensive capability at all, so part of the ZOE being overpowered is simply the NC having nothing similar or remotely close to it. VS can pull a poo poo ton of MAXes and be very effective with them now, but NC still can't pull MAXes outdoors and indoors they just don't have the punch they used to.

edit - And it's yet ANOTHER example where NC gets a gimped gimmick with extremely particular use while the other factions get something that's far more situationally useful (anchor) or just better all around (ZOE). The shield dropping after 2-3 seconds is almost comical, and hilariously so it's even worse than our Phoenix rocket just vaporizing itself at 300m for no reason.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 26, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fuzz posted:

VS and TR are doubleteaming the NC...

:allears:

My kills today were about a 50/50 split between TR and NC. I think TR were the ones who made the most concentrated efforts at taking our territory, though, that Allatum/TI/Crown fight was pretty crazy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Giggily posted:

:allears:

My kills today were about a 50/50 split between TR and NC. I think TR were the ones who made the most concentrated efforts at taking our territory, though, that Allatum/TI/Crown fight was pretty crazy.

Read the rest of the post. GOKU is a miniscule portion of the VS. On Indar, almost all the fighting was taking place at Tawritch, Zurvan, or Crimson Bluff for literally the last 8 hours. All of those are SE warpgate "region."

Has nothing to do with the NC or TR or VS, and everything to do with the Lattice's layout being complete garbage and not having enough links for the SW Gate to attack the north, and vice versa. Hell, most of the North's lattice just goes out laterally to either side before going down to where it connects with the rest of the continent. It's a horrible layout.

When they rotate the warpgates and NC are in the north and you guys are in the SE, you'll see the same thing and people will cry that TR and NC are teaming up on VS. It's just a dumb lattice layout, which is what my post was about.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I was definitely taking substantial damage every time, just that a lot of the people in the groups I was ambushing would literally pause there in shock for a moment (or worse, try to run away) when a glowing MAX unexpectedly appears 3 feet away from them, which is long enough to spray them to death with two Cosmos arms. I wouldn't be at all surprised if lag plays a factor, though if that is the case this is really the first time it has ever worked in my favor (see: completely unable to run over non-stationary enemies, but they can run me over just fine).

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's kind of unfortunate that ZOE and Shield are plagued by technical issues stemming from the way the game actually handles, and not necessarily numbers or stats themselves.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

novaSphere posted:

It's kind of unfortunate that ZOE and Shield are plagued by technical issues stemming from the way the game actually handles, and not necessarily numbers or stats themselves.

Honestly, I think the best solution would be to have ZOE be purely a movement mode without a damage buff. Have it give them the current speed and damage penalty, but then also have it give their MAX a sort of super-jump that lets them jump a good 10 feet or so, not jumpjet style, just a big jump a la the Force Jump from Jedi Outcast. Toggle it on when you want to get around, then turn it off if you have to fight. If anything, it should also give a damage output PENALTY, not a bonus. Then it'd be just like the other two skills, i.e. actually situational and something you use when it's needed, but turn off when it's not, unlike now, where you can max out Kinetic Armor, turn on ZOE, and then just go to town.

As it is now, a ZOE MAX can charge up two Vortexes completely and then take out a Lightning from behind in one shot, which is pretty hosed up. Not even an AP Vanguard cannon can take out a MAX in one shot, unless they're rocking MAXed ZOE, in which case if you manage to hit them at all, you deserve to be able to kill them in one hit, because jesus how the gently caress.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 26, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fuzz posted:

Read teh rest of the post. GOKU is a miniscule portion of the VS. On Indar, almost all the fighting was taking place at Tawritch, Zurvan, or Crimson Bluff for literally the last 8 hours. All of those are SE warpgate.

This isn't true. The biggest fight I was involved with today was against TR, and it was the biggest fight by a loooong shot.

Also there's the same amount of connections between each Warpgate on Indar. The N/W border has Quartz Ridge, West Highlands, and Crown. N/E has Crown, East Canyon Checkpoint, and Howling Pass. E/W has Crown, Crossroads, and Regent Rock/Scarred Mesa. That's 3 lattice connections between each area of the map.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fuzz posted:

Honestly, I think the best solution would be to have ZOE be purely a movement mode without a damage buff. Have it give them the current speed and damage penalty, but then also have it give their MAX a sort of super-jump that lets them jump a good 10 feet or so, not jumpjet style, just a big jump a la the Force Jump from Jedi Outcast. Toggle it on when you want to get around, then turn it off if you have to fight. If anything, it should also give a damage output PENALTY, not a bonus. Then it'd be just like the other two skills, i.e. actually situational and something you use when it's needed, but turn off when it's not, unlike now, where you can max out Kinetic Armor, turn on ZOE, and then just go to town.

As it is now, a ZOE MAX can charge up two Vortexes completely and then take out a Lightning from behind in one shot, which is pretty hosed up. Not even an AP Vanguard cannon can take out a MAX in one shot, unless they're rocking MAXed ZOE, in which case if you manage to hit them at all, you deserve to be able to kill them in one hit, because jesus how the gently caress.

I'm fine with them taking away the damage buff on ZOE in exchange for more movement buffs but a damage nerf is just silly. I'd sooner increase the armor penalty.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
They should just kill the speed bonus. The servers really can't handle it and it makes them drat near impossible to hit with infantry AV weapons. Keeping the damage bonus means it's still a very useful ability, but it's not so good that you just turn it on when you spawn and never turn it off again. It should something that's used situationally when you need extra firepower.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 26, 2013

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Since the speed bonus is the only good part of it, they should just go back to jets, since it's the only thing the server could handle.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm guessing AV grenades aren't on the approved items list for NC or something.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Drakes posted:

Well playing with the striker for the day, the soaring rockets that rain down flightpath seems to occur most when vehicles are perched upwards on a hill/cliff.

Probably a lazy fix so rockets don't slam into terrain infront of a locked vehicle. But man this is comical overkill, those things just rain death downwards.

Whenever I see about 50 rockets heading at one vehicle I'm glad I've stuck with TR. Fractures and strikers forming an anti vehicle line is the most beautiful sight in the world. I imagine fighting us is a lot like fighting NC but with about five times as many rockets flying out of anywhere the other factions try to attack.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Chance posted:

Since the speed bonus is the only good part of it, they should just go back to jets, since it's the only thing the server could handle.

Pretty much. If anything ZOE just shows how the client can't handle strafing, and the same issues with it are present for the other classes (but generally it's most obvious on the ADAD macroers).

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

ProfessorGroove posted:

Whenever I see about 50 rockets heading at one vehicle I'm glad I've stuck with TR. Fractures and strikers forming an anti vehicle line is the most beautiful sight in the world. I imagine fighting us is a lot like fighting NC but with about five times as many rockets flying out of anywhere the other factions try to attack.
The quantity of rockets is the same, it's just that the NC's hiss and fail to hit anything 70% of the time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I don't know what it is about today but I managed to hit and kill both a Reaver and a Mosquito with an UBGL today. I'm surprised I'm not getting giant piles of hate whispers. :allears:

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Alkydere posted:

I don't know what it is about today but I managed to hit and kill both a Reaver and a Mosquito with an UBGL today. I'm surprised I'm not getting giant piles of hate whispers. :allears:

I'm surprised hate whispers are so rare in general in a game where you can click on the person who killed you and directly talk to them. I never pay any attention to who I'm fighting, they're all red doritos, but the only one I've ever got was when I was mercilessly killing the same guy over and over with the banshee in an otherwise empty hex.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do the shield diffusers not work? Lately I keep seeing people (mainly harassers) try and shield diffuse through the vehicle/vertical shields and it never seems to work.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Leal posted:

Do the shield diffusers not work? Lately I keep seeing people (mainly harassers) try and shield diffuse through the vehicle/vertical shields and it never seems to work.

I'm about 50/50 on them so far. Today I chased a crippled magrider in and Halberd its rear end, did donuts in the VS's lawn while it recharges, turn it on again and *decidedly did not* make a smooth escape out the gate. :mad: My halfass RL friend outfit managed the first half of an Amp Station Hostile Takeover, while the other 'blocker' sunderer got stuck at the gate.

VVV I see my Hawks miss sometimes if I'm in front of the ESF and they suddenly jet forward as I fire- seems they can only turn so fast? Other than that, yea 100%

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 26, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

novaSphere posted:

It's specifically for the Striker; the Annihilator and factional Lock-ons don't have this kind of 'smart' tracking.

Actually, the Hawk very much has smart terrain-avoidance tracking.
Between that and the Striker I figured that they introduced that for all lock-on launchers back in GU8 (or shortly after, whenever they introduced the mechanic anyway), but I can definitely vouch for the Hawk.

Unless an enemy ESF has flares or you fire your rocket just at the edge of the lock-on range, and they have a racer chassis and are flying at almost top speed already, so they will eventually outrun the rocket long enough for it to reach its maximum range, a Hawk rocket will hit an ESF, 100% of the time. The maneuvers these things pull around hills, valleys and buildings are insane.

E: And actually, judging by my Reaver experiences, I'm 100% sure that VS' lock on AA launcher does it as well.

Serai
Dec 28, 2009

Thundarr posted:

People really just don't know how to deal with a ZOE MAX that charges around a corner into their infantry huddle, do they? :getin:

Since most people don't have 2000+ certs for one line, you just have to press your autoshotty button and it will pretty much die. The VS max doesn't work like a hackmax at CQC so it will still take some time to collect said NC souls for experimentation. From my experience yesterday at VS miller, the Goons have learned this and has started charging towards VS maxes instead of fleeing and taking cover. Some might die but a push means dead maxes and no rezzes.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Fuzz posted:

It would be pretty hosed up if it was true but you are making poo poo up right now. I have a maxed out ZOE and you neither one shot a Lightning from behind with a full vortex charge, nor maxes. They actually nerfed the poo poo out of Vortex against maxes to the point where I would rather have blueshifts. It takes like 6-8 comet hits to kill a max from full health with max ZOE on and Comets do more damage than Vortex's both to infantry and to vehicles.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Also people are figuring out they should shoot the huge glowing disco man.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The NC shield is retarded that we can all agree but the ZOE is on par with lockdown, if you nerf ZOE you gotta nerf everything because it will be really hosed up to nerf a single faction. You realize the ZOE is pretty much purely about speed right? the damage buff is minor as hell and the armor debuff means you can get one shotted by a lot of things not to mention a single dumbfire rocket will take you to 40%.

Its the same thing with the lancer, on its own its balanced but once you get creative its overpowered. The reason ZOE is owning so much is because the max has become super mobile so instead of having this slow clunky suit that sucked out in the open you have this quick murder machine who relies on speed to survive. I have rank 5 ZOE and i've put in nearly 12 hours since GU9--you DO NOT TURN ZOE OFF, you keep it on and book it because without speed your dead.

The NC shield should give a max movement buff so you start off normal speed but once you start sprinting your at charge speeds. The answer is not to nerf faction flavor but to bring the other faction flavors up to par.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

Serai posted:

Since most people don't have 2000+ certs for one line, you just have to press your autoshotty button and it will pretty much die. The VS max doesn't work like a hackmax at CQC so it will still take some time to collect said NC souls for experimentation. From my experience yesterday at VS miller, the Goons have learned this and has started charging towards VS maxes instead of fleeing and taking cover. Some might die but a push means dead maxes and no rezzes.

Yeah, i play on Miller also and on the first day of ZOE implementation everyone runned for their life when they saw a glowing max, but now they shoot on mass to ZOE maxes. and the incoming damage penalty is very apparent.
My guess is that diferent servers have diferent rates of discovering the counters for something.
But i do love my ZOE burster max, it melts ESFs.

Serai
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah the solution to buffing an already scary shield is to give the NC defensive speed so every building can be a cap point building with a dozen hacksaws in them. Making them speedy is infringing on VS flavor, the NC is supposed to be CQC powerful and slow and defensible. Adding speed will just make it a giant clusterfuck.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Let NC MAXes melee with the shield.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
They should just let them use the gun on the free arm at least. Half the damage output, but protection against people who can't shoot feet or get at the MAX from the side :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Micr0chiP posted:

Yeah, i play on Miller also and on the first day of ZOE implementation everyone runned for their life when they saw a glowing max, but now they shoot on mass to ZOE maxes. and the incoming damage penalty is very apparent.
My guess is that diferent servers have diferent rates of discovering the counters for something.
But i do love my ZOE burster max, it melts ESFs.
That's why I always toggle ZOE off whenever I'm faced with more than one opponent on Miller: not using a macro, ADAD strafing isn't enough to avoid a lot of incoming damage.
However I still prefer ZOE over Charge for the increased mobility and damage against ESFs when using dual bursters. :allears:

Welsper posted:

That would be a nice upgrade to the shield. Maybe have it do reduced melee damage at lower levels, and do increased melee damage compared to normal when at maximum level?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

How about we also address the free +20-30% boost to NS MAX weaponry that the TR/VS got but the NC have no way to access or compensate for.

The shield on its own is situational to a fault and pretty bad, but as a whole it fucks our entire faction over. Air, ground, everything. Until this is addressed THAT is why the shield is loving awful and I hate it, because defense is so marginal in this game already, and it became even more marginal this patch because 2/3 of the factions got a HUGE AA (soon to be AI as well) boost.

And the other faction got 90 degrees of invulnerability to a second of carbine fire at the expense of offense and mobility

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Welsper posted:

We don't even have a ranged AI weapon for them yet, why do we need more CQC toys?

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

How about we also address the free +20-30% boost to NS MAX weaponry that the TR/VS got but the NC have no way to access or compensate for.

The shield on its own is situational to a fault and pretty bad, but as a whole it fucks our entire faction over. Air, ground, everything. Until this is addressed THAT is why the shield is loving awful and I hate it, because defense is so marginal in this game already, and it became even more marginal this patch because 2/3 of the factions got a HUGE AA (soon to be AI as well) boost.

And the other faction got 90 degrees of invulnerability to a second of carbine fire at the expense of offense and mobility

You really like hyperbole don't you. 1s of carbine fire? 30% boost to any weapon on the VS max. I know it's fun to make up numbers, and I realize the shield is not some giant underslung shotgun like NC may have preferred, but come on.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Holy poo poo Connery NC are just rock stupid. Like wow. I know goons bitch about Matherson NC but at least Matherson brings loving engineers to a MAX crash and doesn't just run scattermaxes into a room and then slowly gets ground down until no one has ammo left and the MAX are all dead because everyone would rather be a medic for sweet revive certs.

And I've literally never seen the LA dropping C4 from above attack work so many times in the span of 10 minutes. Or so many engineers with MANA turrets and no ammo boxes around. Does Connery NC really not give a poo poo to such an extend that they won't even tell engineers that taking mines doesn't remove the ammo ability? Because usually if you see a lot more engineers than boxes it's because no one explains the 'hit B' thing.

It's really lovely playing my new Connery alt with a level 3 repair tool and a level 1 ammo box and having to feed an entire attack force because there's never more than like 2 boxes of ammo for an entire biolab landing pad. I mean MAX repair is good certs I guess but man. Surely someone with a better tool could get off their loving MANA turret and help out?? I spent the entire fight redropping my ammo box in clusters of people because there's more pieces of cover than engineers dropping ammo, then running my glue gun hot keeping up MAXes.

Joke's on me for actually playing instead of just logging that character in for daily passive certs I guess.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 26, 2013

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chance posted:

You really like hyperbole don't you. 1s of carbine fire? 30% boost to any weapon on the VS max. I know it's fun to make up numbers, and I realize the shield is not some giant underslung shotgun like NC may have preferred, but come on.

10,000 damage, however you want to get there, and small arms gets there really quick. Having it drop as soon as you pull it up isn't unheard of, and even if it only happens when you're under heavy fire aka the sort of time when you'd want a shield, that doesn't exactly make a case for the damned thing. And no NC wants another shotgun. I would've loved something original that addressed our weaknesses like a mode that boosted defense, slowed us down, and dramatically reduced the spread on our shotguns. The lockdown/ZOE boost to NS stuff just straight up needs removed entirely.

Anyway, I said 20-30%. My own testing has ZOE bursters at 23% more powerful, and the devs themselves state that the TR ones are 30% more effective than the NC ones. Where's the hyperbole? This is all stuff that is readily accessible for anyone to test. If I'm being hyperbolic please prove me wrong, but your outfit's own thread has reported the ZOE bursters at 20% more powerful.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 26, 2013

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
I figured I'd give this game a shot a couple of days ago. I keep getting the "Planetside2.exe has stopped working" error after I click "play" in the launcher. I've messed with the firewall and antivirus, haven't fooled with opening ports yet. This morning I noticed that if I don't have Mumble open the game seems to launch properly. If I open Mumble and then try to play, I'll get the error. I can play a fresh install of the game once, with Mumble open, and then it will not work after.

Other than using Mumble after I have P2 up and running, is there anything I can do to get around this?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Does seem like the new MAX abilities is another nail in the coffin for the reaver.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

SinJin posted:

I figured I'd give this game a shot a couple of days ago. I keep getting the "Planetside2.exe has stopped working" error after I click "play" in the launcher. I've messed with the firewall and antivirus, haven't fooled with opening ports yet. This morning I noticed that if I don't have Mumble open the game seems to launch properly. If I open Mumble and then try to play, I'll get the error. I can play a fresh install of the game once, with Mumble open, and then it will not work after.

Other than using Mumble after I have P2 up and running, is there anything I can do to get around this?

If you have mumble overlay enabled try disabling that. Also if you have windows 8 unplug your gamepad or other extra usb devices if you have them (I don't know if this was ever solved), those would be two potential culprits.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

SinJin posted:

I haven't had any Mumble-specific problems with the game so far, but I do know that the game crashes like crazy when I have PhysX enabled, so if you've got that enabled you might want to turn it off and give it a shot.

That's about the best advice I can give, unfortunately :\

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The NC Max is not that bad. With the raven we have a weapon similar to the fracture/lasher, that is very good against vehicles.

The shield thing... is quite bad, but It can be fixed.

The other max skills are a buff to survivability and offensive power, the NC max shield is a nerf to survavility; by having a fat life regen for shield users, these users will play more offensively and will gain the lost survivability.
A max with a shield is useless to his team, but at least this way people will only use the shield to repair.

If this is seen as "too op", a alternate possibility could be to make the max "easier to repair" wen are using the shield, so the engy repair tool is more efective on max using the shield. No regen health. Make the repair tool 50% faster at repair a max with aegis.

A fun idea could be to make the repair beam bounce on nearby aegis max. So if you are repairing a nc max with a shield, and theres another one next to it, both are repaired.

I think the shield need a change that is more than simply making it stronger, it need a reason for users of the aegis shield to play more offensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Psykmoe posted:

They should just let them use the gun on the free arm at least. Half the damage output, but protection against people who can't shoot feet or get at the MAX from the side :v:

I had figured that was the plan. It would make total sense, except the only viable options then are AV or slugs.

I am well aware of how amazing Comets are for AI work now, having racked up a hundred or two kills yesterday. Do neither of Falcons or Ravens have the potential to kill infantry at range?

• Locked thread