Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Saron if you're playing VS.
Yeah, playing as VS. Anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Croccers posted:

Yeah, playing as VS. Anything else?

The Saron does everything well so maybe PPA or some AA if you have money to burn?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Urit posted:

And I keep telling you I'm happy to, but I want a couple of other goons to play with if we're gonna do this - I don't want to just make an empty outfit for 2 people that never log on. I'd love to get some Space Goon Hitler going, though. Roxxor is my IGN.

I've been trying to contact you in-game but I never seem to get a hold of you. My TR guy is "EmperorOfFarts"

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Fuzz posted:

They need to just change the Mattock into a true rail gun that has a more precise reticle and fires big metal spikes at high speed out to 50+ meters. I know slugs sort of already do this, but they need to be faster, go further, have less drop, have a better reticle, and be the default so you don't need to drop 1000 certs to get there.

And they DON'T need a new gun for it... 4 redundant shotguns is already enough, just change the Mattock.

Just give NC a Blueshift/Mercy analog and give VS and TR something on par with Hacksaws or Mattocks.

I don't like your idea too much because it sounds like something that would kill in 2 shots, and I'm not particularly fond of the idea of being sniped by MAXes.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Really aircraft are the greatest threats to tanks in my experience. You can reasonably do something about turrets or bazooka troops sneaking up on you, but a rocket attack from a km up is hard to predict and react to. It's one of the reasons I prefer tanks on amerish, at least until I unlock the vanguard shield. You can always hide the vehicles pretty well under trees.

Yeah. Unfortunately, it's pretty much an unavoidable situation in games like this if you want aircraft to actually be viable for anything at all. You're usually okay if you're in a big convoy with a bunch of AA or if your side is coordinated enough to provide air cover, but if you're by yourself in a tank you're basically a sitting duck for any ESF driver with a pulse. Even in a group you might just end up being that unlucky dude that gets blown away before the liberator/ESF gets shot down.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

go3 posted:

I mean really it doesn't take much theorycrafting to figure out how the close in, heavy hitting faction should deal with a bunch of armor compromised disco death machines. But hey by all means keep trying to fight a dozen ZOE MAXes on the open plain.
The same faction whose unique faction weapon flavor is characterized by high damage, slow RoF, lovely hipfire accuracy, and punishing on-the-move accuracy? The NC don't have close-in weapons at all except for the MAXs and, for some reason, on the slowest moving-vehicles. I mean, the Jackhammer's niche is that its the longest-range, most accurate shotgun.

As for MAX stuff, just make Mattocks come with slugs and a reticle to match.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
Since there's a lot of (delicious) complaining about the NC Max being garbage, I managed to solo one yesterday. I was proud of myself. NC Maxes melt me with sub-ping TTKs all the time, so as far as I'm concerned they can stuff their complaints about not being awesome at everything and just take being an absolute death zone for infantry within CQC.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Just give NC a Blueshift/Mercy analog and give VS and TR something on par with Hacksaws or Mattocks.

I don't like your idea too much because it sounds like something that would kill in 2 shots, and I'm not particularly fond of the idea of being sniped by MAXes.

They're doing that once they release NS flamethrowers.

No word on those longer-ranged NC options, though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LuiCypher posted:

Hahaha really? I wonder how those are going to work. I imagine the words "causes shittons of lag" are involved.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

No idea what you're talking about. The only thing we have that qualifies as "close in, heavy hitting" is our MAXes which ZOEs run circles around and would be stupid to get near us anyways.

Hmm sounds like a deterrent to me

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

LuiCypher posted:

The things that were, once again, removed from the test server?

Wasn't their functional range closer to 3 meters than 8-10?

Edit: Also wasn't their DPS something like 300 per arm? I font put that on par with Hacksaws.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 28, 2013

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Hahaha really? I wonder how those are going to work. I imagine the words "causes shittons of lag" are involved.

Flamethrower and rocklet rifle was my favorite loadout for meat grinding in PS1.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

psivamp posted:

Since there's a lot of (delicious) complaining about the NC Max being garbage, I managed to solo one yesterday. I was proud of myself. NC Maxes melt me with sub-ping TTKs all the time, so as far as I'm concerned they can stuff their complaints about not being awesome at everything and just take being an absolute death zone for infantry within CQC.

Funny story: the same thing happens with a ZOE MAX with Nebulas... or even just Blueshifts, who needs range? Best part is that you will barely see them coming since they'll zip into the room, lay waste to you and your two buddies, then zip out before the grenade/C4 even goes off! Yay!

TR are the only ones that can truly complain about CQC murder, because they can't pull it off without their cumbersome locking down.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 28, 2013

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

go3 posted:

Hmm sounds like a deterrent to me

I bet the grass is such an amazing shade of green on your side of the fence.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Fuzz posted:

TR are the only ones that can truly complain about CQC murder, because they can't pull it off without their cumbersome locking down.
I've never felt that to be true, but I played TR MAX primarily before the Mercy nerf. Before that they were quite good at CQC murder, as well as murder at all other ranges. Reminds me of how Blueshifts are right now (I don't have ZOE).

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Give NC tanks a stabilizer for firing on the move.

Can I have one of those for my Lightning? I want to be that shithead tonk you can't touch in the Indar deserts.

Also, flamethrowers with ZOE were the most hilarious things in the test server. But lockdown didn't affect them one bit :argh:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sorry nc dudes, you're just gonna have to suck it up for a while. Let's just consider this pay back for the months that your max was by far the most op max in the game.

:iamafag:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
NC MAX definitely needs a buff the shield is utter poo poo and breaks new ground in being useless. Actually I can't get a kill to save my life as NC using anything other than Blitz, Phoenix or Vanguard. People praise the Gauss SAW a lot but give me a SVA-88 over the saw any day. Bought the Enforcer for the Vanguard this morning and that thing is death to any vehicle in its radius. Too bad pubbies are still too dumb to gun for a Vanguard.

Also holy poo poo Matherson NC does not believe in AA or something. I was literally the only burster max for the entire faction during this alert everywhere I went. As a result they kept getting raped by Scythes.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, it's weird; I'm often one of the few people who pull Skyguards or Burster MAX during any fight. Not that I really complain; all the sweet assist XP is generally mine for the taking. Getting dual extended mags on my Burster arms was one of the best investments I've ever made.

I'm warming up to the shield, but something about it just isn't right. I'm taking damage from the front while the shield is up in many cases, and it sometimes causes my AI weapons to deal 0 damage after I bring it down. It's very frustrating, to say the least :/

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
welp, time to buy the saron then.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I'll say this, the aegis shield looks really cool in game. It's easy enough to light assault over and shoot them in the back, but SOE really knows how to make some cool looking stuff. Like my retracted crowning helmet and Palm camo.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I kinda like the PPA more than the Saron.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

DoctorStrangelove posted:

What's it feel like to be insane?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
So am I like the only person here playing TR on Waterson? I think there was supposedly once a goon outfit here but I'm pretty sure there isn't anymore.

I like the red team. Chainguns are rad. I'm hesitant to switch to another faction or server since I've got all these certs on my Waterson TR dude! Though at least I would still have weapons unlocked on a new character, anyway.

Also I managed to make a few of my friends create TR characters on Waterson, but they hardly ever play. Not that I play all that much either, I'm only battlerank 35.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

novaSphere posted:

I'm warming up to the shield, but something about it just isn't right. I'm taking damage from the front while the shield is up in many cases, and it sometimes causes my AI weapons to deal 0 damage after I bring it down. It's very frustrating, to say the least :/

My guess is that the game is failing to recognize the state change from shielded to armed weapons, so you're in a moment where the game thinks your weapons are still disarmed, probably due to lag.
As for taking full damage head on, I'd guess it happens when you are already under fire and the lag compensation is rewinding damage dealt to you by other clients who, to them, were firing at an unshielded max for a moment.

Part of the ZOE max's strength is from lag comp messing up its position when it ADADA's. I wish there was some way to actually see the hitboxes in action for the shield, ZOE, and corner-bouncing infantry!

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

It's just so much more satisfying to melt infantry, isn't it? :allears:

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I haven't really gotten into planetside 2, had a BR20 or whatever on PS1 though. Is PS2 pay to win at all? I haven't even gotten close to unlocking anything and I am already like BR9 or so.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Both are really fun and shine in different engagement types. For locking down areas and spraying masses of infantry, the PPA is a total treat. Also great for shooting rear end in a top hat Light Assaults coming to C4 you, tagging sunderers and lightnings for assist XP, and wrecking ATVs. For being able to do anti infantry duty and also do well against vehicles, the Saron is a great choice. Both are nice basically depending on if you want your secondary to be mostly AI focused with some vehicle options, or useful for both but (depending on the fight) sometimes less awesome against infantry.

Stealthgerbil posted:

I haven't really gotten into planetside 2, had a BR20 or whatever on PS1 though. Is PS2 pay to win at all? I haven't even gotten close to unlocking anything and I am already like BR9 or so.

Giggily described PS2 as Pay to Fun and I think that's very accurate. You start out being able to be effective in most roles, but if you want to have fun options in situations, paying gets you there a lot faster. Otherwise you can absolutely get everything you want just by playing, except for cosmetic stuff.

Super Pope
Oct 12, 2009

Not all popes are created equal! Go, Super Pope, GO! Bathe the unwashed with a fire-hose!

HJE-Cobra posted:

So am I like the only person here playing TR on Waterson? I think there was supposedly once a goon outfit here but I'm pretty sure there isn't anymore.

I like the red team. Chainguns are rad. I'm hesitant to switch to another faction or server since I've got all these certs on my Waterson TR dude! Though at least I would still have weapons unlocked on a new character, anyway.

Also I managed to make a few of my friends create TR characters on Waterson, but they hardly ever play. Not that I play all that much either, I'm only battlerank 35.

I just saw a bunch of TR guys in "Goon Squad 2013" on Waterson. Wondering if they saw me too, name's Transient. The only guy who's name I remember was "WafflyWaffle". Maybe try sending him a message.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Operation Save The New Conglomerate

Tryiing to win as NC is like to try to win a chess game where you play with peons, and the enemy play with bishops

Tryiing to win with the Reaver agains other ESF is like playing with the Rook against a Queen.

Our problem is the mobility is a much better gimmick than "shotguns!". The peon has a shotgun, but is beaten again and again by the vortex powered bishop.
What the NC really needs to be a viable factions is a new gimmick that is better than "shotguns!".

Since we are not going to get anything mayor or game changing, I propose some type of health regen and deployable shields: grenade shields!, deployable shield dome! health station!,.. make the NC faction have lots of shields that render it inmune to other faction gimmick temporally, make the shield gimmick have a health regen.

Then we can have something very interesting. It will be more fun for the NC, but it will also be more fun for the other factions, because the NC will be a more interesting enemy to attack!.

Tei fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 28, 2013

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Tei posted:

Operation Save The New Conglomerate

Tryiing to win as NC is like to try to win a chess game where you play with peons, and the enemy play with bishops

Tryiing to win with the Reaver agains other ESF is like playing with the Rook against a Queen.

Our problem is the mobility is a much better gimmick than "shotguns!". The peon has a shotgun, but is beaten again and again by the vortex powered bishop.
What the NC really needs to be a viable factions is a new gimmick that is better than "shotguns!".

Since we are not going to get anything mayor or game changing, I propose some type of health regen and deployable shields: grenade shields!, deployable shield dome! health station!,.. make the NC faction have lots of shields that render it inmune to other faction gimmick temporally, make the shield gimmick have a health regen.

Then we can have something very interesting. It will be more fun for the NC, but it will also be more fun for the other factions, because the NC will be a more interesting enemy to attack!.

Lets get real creative...more shotguns!!

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Stealthgerbil posted:

Other people have said it, but PS2 is about the lowest you can get on the pay to win totem. It can sure take a while to be a fully free player and get a new full price weapon, but unlike most F2P games there is no earning cap on your "free" income. That is, while many games limit your income based on match time or something like that (looking at you Tribes, WoT and Hawken), in PS2 if you are good at shooting dudes you will make certs as fast as you can find people to shoot. Or alternately as fast as you can find people to heal or resupply.

If you are truly focussed on not spending any money, I would stick to defaults and upgrade your class skills, and then perhaps pick up one of the cheap alternate weapons (some in the 250 cert bracket are really good) if they tickle your fancy.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

international owl day posted:

This game is severely lacking in the double barreled shotgun department.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

international owl day posted:

Give NC swords and flamethrowers, that'll add more variety, I'm sure.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Give nc a blunderbuss, obviously.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I still want more melee weapons for MAXes.

VS get lightsabers, NC get thunder hammers, TR get chainswords or something.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Away all Goats posted:

This game is severely lacking in the double barreled shotgun department.

Well there're pump actions that shoot 10/11 pellets.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Roadmap updates!
  • June - server transfer tokens! :dance:
  • June - squad colour customization! :dance:
  • June - HUD customization! :dance:
  • June - extra loadout slots! :dance:
  • June - terminal UI update (and hotkeys)! :dance:
  • June - platoon management improvements! :dance:
No extra vehicle cosmetics slots 'till GU11 though.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

coffeetable posted:

Roadmap updates!
[list]
[*] June - server transfer tokens! :dance:

Of course, after I made a new character on Mattherson.

Actually, I may just go back to Connery. The pop numbers have actually evened out on the server, and I kind of prefer playing there even if I'm not currently in an outfit. I can just try to join Future Crew or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I still want more melee weapons for MAXes.

VS get lightsabers, NC get thunder hammers, TR get chainswords or something.

Let's just admit the truth: MAXes are just man-sized anime death robots. We should give them anime death robot weapons as close-quarters options. Give the NC a broadsword to go with their shield, give the VS a laser katana or something, TR would be fine with big chainsaws.

• Locked thread