Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cordyceps Headache posted:

I can't remember is Prosopagnosia(also known as "face blindness") has been posted yet, but it's always freaked me out. I was reminded of it by Arrested Development today.

Basically, the part of the brain that does face recognition is damaged, so the effected individual is unable to recognize or remember faces. I find it weird to think about how much post-processing is going on in our brains on the images we see. Everything we experience is filtered through a bunch of evolutionary developed processors. Always makes me wonder about how much I can trust my perceptions.

Completely serious here: I have a moderate case of faceblindness (there's a test they give you, 85+ is normal, I scored a 60). It's pretty much just really annoying - all my friends either think I'm crazy (everyone I see is CLEARLY a celebrity! come on guys don't you see it?!) or think I'm a jerk for not recognizing them :( also I get a lot of "SO WE ALL LOOK THE SAME TO YOU HUH?"

I basically compensate by being very good at remembering people based on their hairstyle/color, clothes they're wearing and mannerisms (how they walk, hold themselves etc). I sometimes still have trouble finding my own mom in a crowd though :ohdear:

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 06:14 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

For more fun, see Akinetopsia, also known as "motion blindness":

Prosopagnosia sounds like it would suck, but be manageable. Akinetopsia sounds like it would be pure hell:

The idea of someone who can't perceive motion being behind the wheel of an automobile is goddamn terrifying.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Ok, it's not from Wikipedia, but I guarantee you that it will haunt your dreams. It's an artificial speech device from the 1800s. How disturbing can this possibly be?

Well, let's find out!

:nms: http://blog.modernmechanix.com/grandmother-of-pedro-the-voder/#more :nms:

Just think of that thing, wheezing out some semblance of human speech.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Khazar-khum posted:

Ok, it's not from Wikipedia, but I guarantee you that it will haunt your dreams. It's an artificial speech device from the 1800s. How disturbing can this possibly be?

Well, let's find out!

:nms: http://blog.modernmechanix.com/grandmother-of-pedro-the-voder/#more :nms:

Just think of that thing, wheezing out some semblance of human speech.

In theory, it could have sounded like the speaking piano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCPjK4nGY4

//edit for PYF video rule: It's a piano that plays notes approximating human speech.

Artemis J Brassnuts has a new favorite as of 08:52 on May 29, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

In theory, it could have sounded like the speaking piano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCPjK4nGY4

//edit for PYF video rule: It's a piano that plays notes approximating human speech.

There sure are some weird pianos out there.

Cat organ - Wikipedia

edit: this is perfectly work- and mind-safe, just pretty silly in a slightly creepy way.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

It's not the sound so much as it is the disembodied head.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I can't remember is Prosopagnosia(also known as "face blindness") has been posted yet, but it's always freaked me out. I was reminded of it by Arrested Development today.

Basically, the part of the brain that does face recognition is damaged, so the effected individual is unable to recognize or remember faces. I find it weird to think about how much post-processing is going on in our brains on the images we see. Everything we experience is filtered through a bunch of evolutionary developed processors. Always makes me wonder about how much I can trust my perceptions.

For more fun, see Akinetopsia, also known as "motion blindness":

Prosopagnosia sounds like it would suck, but be manageable. Akinetopsia sounds like it would be pure hell:

That article linked me to another creepy condition, Capgras delusion. Basically you still have the ability to recognize faces and all that, but you're convinced that all the people in your life have been replaced by imposters that look exactly like them. It sounds sort of funny just typed/summarized like that, but I saw a documentary about a woman with this and it was incredibly sad both for her and her family.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Memento1979 posted:

There sure are some weird pianos out there.

Cat organ - Wikipedia

edit: this is perfectly work- and mind-safe, just pretty silly in a slightly creepy way.

Let Nick Cave tell you about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4RBmU-PIo

Link is safe for work, though your co-workers may think you're a weirdo.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

That article linked me to another creepy condition, Capgras delusion. Basically you still have the ability to recognize faces and all that, but you're convinced that all the people in your life have been replaced by imposters that look exactly like them. It sounds sort of funny just typed/summarized like that, but I saw a documentary about a woman with this and it was incredibly sad both for her and her family.

That in turn leads to Fregoli Delusion

quote:

The Fregoli delusion, or the delusion of doubles, is a rare disorder in which a person holds a delusional belief that different people are in fact a single person who changes appearance or is in disguise

It's like the old bad disguise that everyone else fails to recognize trope, except the person is doing it to torment you. It seems like every episode of The Outer Limits/Twilight Zone has some corresponding mental illness.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Completely serious here: I have a moderate case of faceblindness (there's a test they give you, 85+ is normal, I scored a 60). It's pretty much just really annoying - all my friends either think I'm crazy (everyone I see is CLEARLY a celebrity! come on guys don't you see it?!) or think I'm a jerk for not recognizing them :( also I get a lot of "SO WE ALL LOOK THE SAME TO YOU HUH?"

I basically compensate by being very good at remembering people based on their hairstyle/color, clothes they're wearing and mannerisms (how they walk, hold themselves etc). I sometimes still have trouble finding my own mom in a crowd though :ohdear:

I have prosopagnosia too - in fact, that's why my avatar looks the way it does. It used to just be a little girl but I made the mistake of posting an Ask/Tell thread about having prosopagnosia and a bunch of people didn't believe me and liked to try to test me by seeing if I'd recognize an extremely iconic photograph of George Bush because if I did I was obviously lying about having been diagnosed with a brain disorder when I was a teenager or something, I guess? :rolleyes: (I don't know what test you're talking about, though, much less what score I might have gotten if they'd given it to me. Maybe they didn't have it yet, or maybe I've just forgotten, since this was in the late '90s for me.) [Ed.: for the record I realized my avatar had been altered but had to have a roommate come look at it and say who it was because it didn't match the iconic photo anymore once it was photoshopped onto a small Victorian child]

I use the same compensatory methods as you but usually try to rely on voice if I can because people keep changing their hairstyles and clothing.

The thing I find most interesting is that there's no problem telling that a thing IS a face (I can still detect smiley-face lookin' patterns such as the fact that American wall outlets look like they are very surprised and so on), just remembering WHICH/WHOSE face it is. I feel like this implies things about how complicated the human brain is.

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I didn't realize there was an official test for that. I've suspected that I may have a mild form of it for a while, and last week I spent 15 minutes talking to a stranger thinking she was an acquaintance of mine, when the acquaintance was on the other side of the bar, just because they had similar hairsyles. A couple months ago, I completely failed to recognize the same acquaintance because she gained about 30 pounds.

For content continuing the theme of brain disorders, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion . Cotard delusion, in which the sufferer thinks they have died or otherwise ceased to exist, despite being able to perceive and interact with the world around them. The idea that the brain can go so profoundly wrong that it jumps to the conclusion "I no longer exist" despite all available evidence is profoundly creepy.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

jalopybrown posted:

That in turn leads to Fregoli Delusion

It's like the old bad disguise that everyone else fails to recognize trope, except the person is doing it to torment you. It seems like every episode of The Outer Limits/Twilight Zone has some corresponding mental illness.

What if those supposed dopplegangered people are in the same room?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

I know a woman who developed something like this a few years back as a part of Postpartum psychosis, which is the sudden onset of severe mental illness shortly after giving birth.

My mum went around to see her and the new baby a few days after she got out of the hospital, and found her hysterically ranting to her husband that they had replaced the baby with a robotic doll that looked like her baby, but wasn't. :gonk:

A short stay in the local mental health unit and some well-judged medication later, and she was fine, but still, aargh. The idea that childbirth can just totally make a previously mentally well person snap for a little while is a scary one, especially as there have been cases where women have killed themselves or their children while suffering from it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Closet Cyborg posted:

I've suspected that I may have a mild form of it for a while, and last week I spent 15 minutes talking to a stranger thinking she was an acquaintance of mine, when the acquaintance was on the other side of the bar, just because they had similar hairsyles. A couple months ago, I completely failed to recognize the same acquaintance because she gained about 30 pounds.

One thing I've always meant to look into a bit closer to see if anyone has... looked into it a bit closer... is Dyscalculia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia)

I have Dyscalculia and poor facial recognition has gotten me into trouble a few times, particularly when I was working the front desk at a veterinary hospital. It was compounded by transposing numbers when punching things into the register, so I had "hilarious" mishaps like cheerfully greeting clients who had just been in earlier that day and were coming in to pick up their recently euthanized pet, or transposing numbers and charging them the wrong amount for said euthanasia.
:ughh:

I'm pretty sure both Prosopagnosia and Dyscalculia are in the parietal lobe, possibly even the same side of the brain, so I've always been curious if there's actually a link between that aspect of them at all.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiments_in_the_Revival_of_Organisms

This always creeped me out. Hell of a scientific achievement though (or not, i'm not a scientist).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The wiki page mentions the "Cambridge Face Memory Test" as a test for faceblindness so it might have been that, though the article they cited also mentions other tests so I'm not sure which one I got. My psychologist showed me a bunch of faces, and I had to pair up similar ones, or say if I had seen a particular one in a series before, etc. Like I said I'm not TOTALLY lost when it comes to face recognition, but beyond very general things (IE fat face, thin face, stuff like that) I can't really remember finer details or tell faces apart based on them.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Tibor posted:

If you're into the whole nuclear apocalypse thing you should read 'On The Beach' by Nevil Shute. It starts off fairly slowly but that just helps to build a creeping sense of inevitability. Then you reach the last 20 or so pages and you sob like an infant and feel distraught for the rest of the week (if you're me).

Late, but there is an utterly heart-wrenching film adaptation. Most moved I've ever been by a movie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MoreLikeTen posted:

Late, but there is an utterly heart-wrenching film adaptation. Most moved I've ever been by a movie.

Is it the one where David Niven races a car and other cars explode and then everyone goes fishing and drinking and singing?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Even though it's not specified what ended the world, I still think that The Road is the most gut-wrenching, depression-fuel ever written. I quite liked the movie too.

Not sure if this has been posted, but apparently Lovecraftian nightmares inhabit Indiana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawfordsville_monster

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Closet Cyborg posted:

For content continuing the theme of brain disorders, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion . Cotard delusion, in which the sufferer thinks they have died or otherwise ceased to exist, despite being able to perceive and interact with the world around them. The idea that the brain can go so profoundly wrong that it jumps to the conclusion "I no longer exist" despite all available evidence is profoundly creepy.

New Scientist posted a piece about that a few days ago.

quote:

Eight months later, he told his doctor his brain had died or was, at best, missing. "It's really hard to explain," he says. "I just felt like my brain didn't exist any more. I kept on telling the doctors that the tablets weren't going to do me any good because I didn't have a brain. I'd fried it in the bath."

Doctors found trying to rationalise with Graham was impossible. Even as he sat there talking, breathing – living – he could not accept that his brain was alive. "I just got annoyed. I didn't know how I could speak or do anything with no brain, but as far as I was concerned I hadn't got one." [. . .]

A peek inside Graham's brain provided Zeman and Laureys with some explanation. They used positron emission tomography to monitor metabolism across his brain. It was the first PET scan ever taken of a person with Cotard's (Cortex, DOI: 10.1016/j.cortex.2013.03.003). What they found was shocking: metabolic activity across large areas of the frontal and parietal brain regions was so low that it resembled that of someone in a vegetative state.

Some of these areas form part of what is known as the "default mode network" – a complex system of activity thought to be vital to core consciousness, and our theory of mind. This network is responsible for our ability to recollect the past, to think about ourselves, to create a sense of self and it allows us to realise that we are the agent responsible for an action.

"I've been analysing PET scans for 15 years and I've never seen anyone who was on his feet, who was interacting with people, with such an abnormal scan result," says Laureys. "Graham's brain function resembles that of someone during anaesthesia or sleep. Seeing this pattern in someone who is awake is quite unique to my knowledge."

At least he got better. (Sort of?)

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Target Practice posted:

Oh man The Jaunt is fantastic.

I would love too see that story as a Short(movie). I liked the short stories posted and would love to read more that leave me with an empty feeling if anyone has them.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The Road definitely is one of the most horrifying books I've read. The way it was written is just depressing, all hope is gone and the only joy is the small child's innocence which is increasingly being destroyed as they try to travel south to escape the freezing winter.

"On their journey, the duo scrounge for food, evade roving bands, and contend with horrors such as a newborn infant roasted on a spit, and captives being gradually harvested as food."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_road

Give it a read or watch the movie, although they left the roasting infant out in the movie I think they handled the ending a bit better in it. What really gets to me about these types of situations is that I can really see people doing whatever it takes to survive, such as treating people like animals and slaves.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

The Road definitely is one of the most horrifying books I've read. The way it was written is just depressing, all hope is gone and the only joy is the small child's innocence which is increasingly being destroyed as they try to travel south to escape the freezing winter.

"On their journey, the duo scrounge for food, evade roving bands, and contend with horrors such as a newborn infant roasted on a spit, and captives being gradually harvested as food."

Give it a read or watch the movie, although they left the roasting infant out in the movie I think they handled the ending a bit better in it. What really gets to me about these types of situations is that I can really see people doing whatever it takes to survive, such as treating people like animals and slaves.

The newborn on the spit itself wasn't nearly as horrifying to me as the fact of people deliberately impregnating women for food.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Well that makes as much sense as the robots in The Matrix using humans as batteries.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

bascule posted:

The newborn on the spit itself wasn't nearly as horrifying to me as the fact of people deliberately impregnating women for food.

On the one hand yes it's very horrific. On the other, that seems like a really dumb inefficient strategy for food if you're a weirdo like me and start thinking about the logistics of it. :raise:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Seriously, "Let's feed this hormonal, starved woman twice the amount of food she'd normally need for nine months, and at the the end of that we'll have about 8 pounds worth of food!"

On the other hand, I have to applaud these survivor's ability to delay gratification and plan ahead, I suppose. For what it's worth, I don't remember that from the book (But then I was sick as all get out when I read it, it was a pretty surreal experience.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If that's really what their plan consisted of, then that is an extremely stupid and inefficient way to obtain food. There's probably something more to it it in the book.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Talking about food, something that has always struck me was the effect of the siege of Leningrad; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_the_Siege_of_Leningrad_on_the_city

quote:

After heavy German bombing in August, September, and October 1941, all main food warehouses were destroyed and burned in massive fires. Huge amounts of stored food reserves, such as grain, flour and sugar, as well as other stored food, were completely destroyed. In one instance, melted sugar from the warehouses had flowed through the floors into the surrounding soil. Desperate citizens began digging up the frozen earth in an attempt to extract the sugar. This soil was on sale in the 'Haymarket' to housewives who tried to melt the earth to separate the sugar or to others who merely mixed this earth with flour.[14] The fires continued all over the city, because the Germans were bombing Leningrad non-stop for many months using various kinds of incendiary and high-explosive devices during 1941, 1942, and 1943.

In the first days of the siege, people finished all leftovers in "commercial" restaurants, which used up to 12% of all fats and up to 10% of all meat the city consumed. Soon all restaurants closed, food rationing became the only way to save lives, money became obsolete. The carnage in the city from shelling and starvation (especially in the first winter) was appalling. One of Nikolai I. Vavilov's assistants starved to death surrounded by edible seeds so that the seedbank (with more than 200,000 items) would be available to future generations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Phlegmish posted:

If that's really what their plan consisted of, then that is an extremely stupid and inefficient way to obtain food. There's probably something more to it it in the book.

This isn't at all what happens in the book, nor is McCarthy particularly concerned with it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Phlegmish posted:

Its not really explained at all in the book, but yeah I would say 'theres something more to it' than logistics.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

On the one hand yes it's very horrific. On the other, that seems like a really dumb inefficient strategy for food if you're a weirdo like me and start thinking about the logistics of it. :raise:

Thank god I'm not the only one.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
A woman just happened to be pregnant, so they capitalized on it (so to speak) by eating the newborn. I'd imagine that the woman would either be used for rape and incidentally would create 'food', or that she was pregnant and gave birth during the time they planned to eat her anyway. Eating the child was borne from coincidence; not planning.

evanstheone
Jul 4, 2010

50 Foot Ant posted:

I read a good series where it turns out that humans were actually pretty on par on the weapon side of things. Not interstellar weapons, but regular weaponry. While we didn't have laser beams, our kinetic weaponry was seriously good. The aliens landed, thinking "Oh, another race to enslave" and the next thing they knew there were missiles everywhere, planes that flew stupid-fast (breaking the sound barrier by multiple grades and STILL fighting at speeds like that), tanks that could survive inside nuclear fireballs and still fight, and all the crazy poo poo that humans just go "It's good, but could it be BETTER?" that just boggled their minds.

They seized a small town and found out that according to their observations, every human and pet had at least 3 firearms, and all them seemed to be shooting at the aliens.

The big debate among both the "good" and the "bad" aliens was: "Should we let these lunatics off their planet?"

Picture this: Life is pretty specific. A race is designed to one thing, and one thing well. Even the environmental niche can be pretty specific. A lot of life with sensitive hearing has poo poo vision, and other tradeoffs.

The aliens in the books were like this. The ones that could fight were pretty pushed to fight outside their environments.

Add in humans.

We can swim. Hell, we can hold our breaths for MINUTES underwater. We don't panic underwater. We can deal with (through tech or evolution) extreme cold weather, extreme hot weather, high altitude, low altitude, low oxygen, high oxygen.

We can survive horrific damage to our bodies, hell, sometimes we won't even need medical care.

We can overcome or become resistant to horrible diseases.

And we like guns.

Most of all, we like using guns.

So alien life that we'd recognize probably lives on planets that we can easily colonize. They'd be susceptible to weaponry we use on each other.

To be space travellers they'd need cooperative social constructs, not this "We hate someone who lives 1,000 miles away from us and want to use guns on them" we have going on.

So who knows, by interstellar standards we might be these howling lunatics armed with guns that everyone is all thinking "please don't let these assholes get out of their solar system..."

Where can I find this book?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I only read The Road once years ago so I can't remember, but was the baby confirmed alive? If it was still-born then it would make fine sense to go ahead and eat it.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
They find it already blackened so there's no indication of its state before then.

evanstheone
Jul 4, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

I only read The Road once years ago so I can't remember, but was the baby confirmed alive? If it was still-born then it would make fine sense to go ahead and eat it.

I pretty sure the implication was that there was a roving band of powerful cannibals that kept women as slaves to birth babies to eat.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I read The Road a while ago (during a particularly rough period of my depression) and it pretty much haunted me for a week. I should go back in time and elbow the friend that suggested it to me. :smith:

Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.

Vanderdeath posted:

I read The Road a while ago (during a particularly rough period of my depression) and it pretty much haunted me for a week. I should go back in time and elbow the friend that suggested it to me. :smith:

Now go read Room:

Wikipedia posted:

The novel begins on the fifth birthday of Jack, who lives with his Ma in Room, a small enclosed space containing a small kitchen, a bathtub, a wardrobe, a bed and a TV set. Since it is all he has ever known, Jack likes living in Room and believes that it constitutes the real world, while everything he sees on TV is completely separate and not real.

Jack and his Ma are "looked after" by Old Nick (so called for his satanic traits). He visits Room on most nights (via a door secured with an electric combination lock) to bring food and to go to bed with Ma while Jack sleeps in the wardrobe...[after escaping] The two were taken to a mental hospital, where they get medical care and Ma is reunited with her family, not entirely without conflicts. It is revealed that since Ma's abduction, her parents are now divorced, and her older brother is married and has a three year-old daughter. Old Nick is found and faces several charges of abduction, rape, and child-endangerment that will likely lead to twenty-five years to life in jail. Jack however, has problems coping with the suddenly much larger world and wants to return to Room.

It's a terrifyingly realistic account of the situation both before and after release, and was inspired by a real-life case.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
Not sure if someone's posted it, but I was reading about mass hysteria on an earlier page and immediately thought of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518

It links to an entire page on dancing mania. I thought it was just an isolated thing, but apparently outbreaks of mass dancing to the point of dropping dead from exhaustion or heat stroke was just something that happened in Europe every once in a while, for a couple of centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Prof. Moriarty posted:

Now go read Room:

It's a terrifyingly realistic account of the situation both before and after release, and was inspired by a real-life case.

This is the case I think it is based on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzl_case

quote:

The Fritzl property in Amstetten is a building dating from around 1890 and a newer building, which was added after 1978, when Fritzl applied for a building permit for an "extension with basement". In 1983, building inspectors visited the site and verified that the new extension had been built according to the dimensions specified on the building permit. Fritzl had illegally enlarged the room by excavating space for a much larger basement, concealed by walls. Around 1981 or 1982, according to his statement,[13] he started to turn this hidden cellar into a prison cell and installed a washbasin, a toilet, a bed, a hot plate and a refrigerator. In 1983, he added more space by creating a passageway to a pre-existing basement area under the old part of the property, of which only he knew.

The concealed cellar had a 5 m (5.5 yd) long corridor, a storage area, and three small open cells, connected by narrow passageways; and a basic cooking area and bathroom facilities, followed by two sleeping areas, which were equipped with two beds each. It covered an area of approximately 55 m2 (590 sq ft). The ceilings were no more than 1.70 m (5.6 ft) high.

The hidden cellar had two access points: a hinged door that weighed 500 kg (1,100 lb) which is thought to have become unusable over the years because of its weight, and a metal door, reinforced with concrete and on steel rails that weighed 300 kg (650 lb) and measured 1 m (3.3 ft) high and 60 cm (2 ft) wide. It was located behind a shelf in Fritzl's basement workshop, protected by an electronic code entered using a remote control unit. In order to reach this door, five locking basement rooms had to be crossed. To get to the area where Elisabeth and her children were held, eight doors in total needed to be unlocked, of which two doors were additionally secured by electronic locking devices.[23][24][25]

• Locked thread