Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

iostream.h posted:

There was quite a bit of discussion about that in the weatherpocalypse thread where a couple of meteorologists pointed out some serious flaws with their data. I pointed it out and it was quickly dismissed because its a pretty app.

Didn't it turn out later that those meteorologists misunderstood where the data came from, or am I misremembering that? I don't follow that thread, and I don't even use Dark Sky/Forecast.io, but I thought someone said that last time this came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

DarkJC posted:

You realize that the data they were using before you could've also gotten from a free app right?

No... :suicide:

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Didn't it turn out later that those meteorologists misunderstood where the data came from, or am I misremembering that? I don't follow that thread, and I don't even use Dark Sky/Forecast.io, but I thought someone said that last time this came up.

They have serious problems with the methodology Dark Sky uses for prediction. But to Dark Sky's credit they lay things out very clearly in their FAQ about how they are using their data, and even mention that most meteorologists are skeptical of their approach.

In practice it seems to work decently well for predicting rain near your location within the hour, but plurals of anecdotes are not data etc etc.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DarkJC posted:

They have serious problems with the methodology Dark Sky uses for prediction. But to Dark Sky's credit they lay things out very clearly in their FAQ about how they are using their data, and even mention that most meteorologists are skeptical of their approach.

In practice it seems to work decently well for predicting rain near your location within the hour, but plurals of anecdotes are not data etc etc.

Yeah, it turns out I was thinking of something from their own website, so take it with an appropriate serving of salt.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I paid for "Check the Weather" way back when...which is now powered by forecast.io (which is free)

:smithicide:

So? It's like two bucks or something.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

The newer 1password app went half price. Has anyone been using it that had the older one? The interface looks a lot more like the Mac app which is nice, but on the fence about buying it.

I use both. This allows me to keep two distinct databases on my phone, which is pretty great.

The app is also a lot nicer than the old one.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Ezrem posted:

I use both. This allows me to keep two distinct databases on my phone, which is pretty great.

The app is also a lot nicer than the old one.

I was curious about the new app too. I've been using the old 1Password app for a couple years now and I totally love it, and I've been on the fence about upgrading. Is it easy to port my existing password DB to the new app (I currently have it set up to use Dropbox)?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JHVH-1 posted:

The newer 1password app went half price. Has anyone been using it that had the older one? The interface looks a lot more like the Mac app which is nice, but on the fence about buying it.

Zetetic Strip is a great password manager app, and worth every penny: http://appshopper.com/productivity/strip. Much cheaper than 1password, if all you need is a password book.

It occasionally goes on sale/free, too.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm partial to LastPass myself.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Red posted:

Zetetic Strip is a great password manager app, and worth every penny: http://appshopper.com/productivity/strip. Much cheaper than 1password, if all you need is a password book.

It occasionally goes on sale/free, too.

I have been using the OSX 1password client which is great and the older ios app for a while. Was more wondering about if it was worth grabbing the newer app. That does look like a pretty nice solution though if someone didn't have anything already set up. First time I have seen it suggested.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

DarkJC posted:

Isn't it basically a case that they take readings from a dozen of different services and more or less averages them out? I've only recently started using Forecast.io but if it simply is a case of taking the average of multiple trusted sources then I imagine it'd be reliable enough for normal day-to-day use if you don't need exact rainfall figures or whatever.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

foobar posted:

I was curious about the new app too. I've been using the old 1Password app for a couple years now and I totally love it, and I've been on the fence about upgrading. Is it easy to port my existing password DB to the new app (I currently have it set up to use Dropbox)?

The first time you open the new app, it notices that you have the old app and offers to migrate the database, if I remember right.

Or you could just use Dropbox sync.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

The iOS app is also $9 now. Is that half off? I've been meaning to pick up that component.
Dur, I read good. I thought I was in the Mac OS X thread. Those apps are also half off.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 29, 2013

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I have the old 1Password app, and I bought it recently enough that it really pisses me off that I have to pay for this upgrade. I want the new features, but I just spent the money on the whole suite not too long ago. It's really irritating. :argh:

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
If anyone is interested in astronomy. The NASA and NASA Viz apps are pretty awesome, and free. So no penny pinching regrets.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Fillerbunny posted:

I have the old 1Password app, and I bought it recently enough that it really pisses me off that I have to pay for this upgrade. I want the new features, but I just spent the money on the whole suite not too long ago. It's really irritating. :argh:

To be fair, the current iOS app has been out for nearly 6 months. If you bought it before then, you've probably already got your money's worth out of it.

Now, if you bought 1Password v3 after Nov 15th 2012, and you can email them your receipt proving it, I think they'll refund you. They talk about it a little ways down on this page.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

bazaar apparatus posted:

To be fair, the current iOS app has been out for nearly 6 months. If you bought it before then, you've probably already got your money's worth out of it.

Now, if you bought 1Password v3 after Nov 15th 2012, and you can email them your receipt proving it, I think they'll refund you. They talk about it a little ways down on this page.

To be fair, when I bought it in August, I had only just gotten it a few scant months prior to them releasing version 4. I'm still bitter about it, can't you see?

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Fillerbunny posted:

To be fair, when I bought it in August, I had only just gotten it a few scant months prior to them releasing version 4. I'm still bitter about it, can't you see?

I bought my copy in June 2011 and I'm bitter about it.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

Its a fantastic app for tracking your passwords and logins on iOS.
Its still has the traditional (iOS imposed) limitations, but they try to minimise the frustrations as much as possible by doing things like including a builtin secure web browser you can use instead of having to switch back to mobile Safari.
Its a shame that it can't sync with the desktop app using iCloud, but that is supposedly coming sometime soon.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity
Honestly, if I could use the browser without having to enter my password I would use it as my primary only so I wouldn't have to switch to it when I did need a password. Other than that, it is a great app and having it with the Desktop versions (OSX and windows) has been invaluable.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I use Minikeepass. Works ok for me, I don't really trust storing my password file on some website, and I've been using keepass on my pc for years now.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I have an old iPhone I'm not using anymore, and a Stereo with a dock connector. What I'd like to do is to use the iPhone as a Bluetooth receiver and stream music from my current devices to it to be played over the speakers. Is there any software like that out there? I see there's stand-alone hardware that will do it for around $40 but figure to save some money...

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Isn't it basically a case that they take readings from a dozen of different services and more or less averages them out? I've only recently started using Forecast.io but if it simply is a case of taking the average of multiple trusted sources then I imagine it'd be reliable enough for normal day-to-day use if you don't need exact rainfall figures or whatever.

They use some mathematical/statistical algorithms to predict how the storm will move through the area, based on the 2D radar. That's not an accurate way to predict movement since storms are really complicated and you need a whole lot more data to get the true picture, but you're right, in practice I've found it's at least as reliable as any other weather app I've tried. Especially when it comes to predicting when it's going to start/stop raining in the area I'm standing in right now within the next 30 minutes, much more useful than a vague 60% P.O.P. number.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
In the UK we tend not to get a lot of extreme weather, mostly varying levels of drizzle, so I suppose when it comes to big poo poo like storms in America I can see why people are less convinced by it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
One of our VP's wants to access internal network resources (Office docs, mainly) on his iPad over VPN while out in the field. What's a good app for this? He'll settle for read-only viewing, but being able to edit as well would be icing on the cake.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 30, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
GoodReader can access network shares, although I've never personally used it for that so I can't speak to how well it works. I'd start by checking that out though.

vvv Agreed. It works great within an hour, but the farther out you go I doubt it's really that useful.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 30, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think the concern with Dark Sky is when they try to go beyond the original idea. Extremely local weather forecasts by doing short term extrapolation of radar is pretty smart and mainly a technical problem. When you say you can do the same thing days in advance, then meteorologists start to go "this is harder than you think."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I guess I don't see the appeal of down-to-the-minute weather prediction because over here it's an accepted fact that it's probably going to rain and what hour it rains doesn't matter cause you just grab your umbrella or rain shell on the way out the door.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hughlander posted:

I have an old iPhone I'm not using anymore, and a Stereo with a dock connector. What I'd like to do is to use the iPhone as a Bluetooth receiver and stream music from my current devices to it to be played over the speakers. Is there any software like that out there? I see there's stand-alone hardware that will do it for around $40 but figure to save some money...
So you want whatever Bluetooth audio transmitter -> iPhone in speaker dock? I don't think that's possible, i.e. the iPhone acting as a BT audio receiver. Now if the other devices are other iDevices or computers, it might be possible with some apps. I can't think of any off the top of my head (other than StreamToMe's remote functionality, but that's different) but I vaguely remember someone mentioning an app that could stream from one device to another.

Karthe posted:

One of our VP's wants to access internal network resources (Office docs, mainly) on his iPad over VPN while out in the field. What's a good app for this? He'll settle for read-only viewing, but being able to edit as well would be icing on the cake.
If the VPN works with the iOS VPN functionality (which can actually be extended by some third party apps) then it should work with whatever documents app. Documents is decent and free. For editing there's some Office apps that might fit the bill but I don't have experience with them outside of iWork stuff (and by itself it wouldn't be able to access the server files).

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight
Looks like Solar is free today.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Hughlander posted:

My old iPod touch runs a jailbreak app that does just that but over AirPlay. Maybe ask in that thread?

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess I don't see the appeal of down-to-the-minute weather prediction because over here it's an accepted fact that it's probably going to rain and what hour it rains doesn't matter cause you just grab your umbrella or rain shell on the way out the door.

If "it's probably gonna rain" means you should expect several hours of steady, moderate showers that makes perfect sense, but around here it often means a pleasant afternoon of mostly blue sky/scattered clouds with a 15-20 minute gullywasher sometime in the middle, featuring heavy downburst winds and maybe some hail to make it interesting. If you get caught in one of those during summer monsoon season an umbrella isn't going to help much as you could be sporting a full Gorton's Fisherman dress-out and still get soaked to the skin in two or three minutes—hell, I've been caught in a couple that weren't safe to drive in, let alone walk in.

It's really handy to be able to check whether you should leave work a few minutes early make it to the light rail before the rain hits, or if you should just wait an extra half-hour for the cell to pass over (after which it'll be back to blue sky/scattered clouds, just extra-muggy from the rain evaporating off the pavement, and much higher risk of getting soaked by assholes driving at full speed through the rivers of water that are overflowing the gutters in the street).

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

The Batman posted:

Of course it is... I bought it yesterday. :doh:

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a free app tracker? One that tracks paid apps that just happen to go free for a day.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Prorat posted:

Is there a free app tracker? One that tracks paid apps that just happen to go free for a day.

Appshopper.com and its respective app let you put Apps on "Watchlists" and notify you when they go free.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Batman posted:

Woah, this app's really cool. Even cooler than Yahoo Weather, methinks. Thanks for the tip!

I wish I could set its default view as my phone's lockscreen :(

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Click the Home + Lock buttons at the same time to take a screenshot of whatever is on your screen. The image goes into your camera roll.

You can then use that to set it to your home screen or whatever.

Getting data on your lock screen, however, is no go. That is just to get the image if you dig the image.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlashBangBob posted:

Click the Home + Lock buttons at the same time to take a screenshot of whatever is on your screen. The image goes into your camera roll.

Getting data on your lock screen, however, is no go. That is just to get the image if you dig the image.

Yeah, I meant having the app be the lockscreen. Like have the data update itself so it's accurate every time I check my lockscreen.

Is that a jailbreak-only option? Or would it not even be possible with a jailbreak?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FlashBangBob posted:

Pretty much the worst workaround suggestion I've ever heard someone throw out there. In fact it doesn't even make sense. Why would someone want to see a static picture of what the weather was at some point when they likely already know because they took a picture of it then took the time to set it as a lock screen image...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Appshopper.com and its respective app let you put Apps on "Watchlists" and notify you when they go free.

There's also AppsGoneFree, which has a daily-updated list of apps that are normally paid but drop to free.

• Locked thread