Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
So we can now agree that Yves Behar is a hack, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

As a student of industrial design at a Fine Arts school, I can appreciate the whole form over function thing but gently caress what the hell is this man thinking.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

OatmealRaisin posted:

My girlfriend really likes one of the vibrator he designed, so he is competent with dildos, if nothing else. :colbert:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
OUYA! [raises middle finger to wife] [wife leaves me]

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oh hey he designed a butt plug too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

OatmealRaisin posted:

Yup.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

As a student of industrial design at a Fine Arts school, I can appreciate the whole form over function thing but gently caress what the hell is this man thinking.

You can say "gently caress" here. The word filter is just for people who aren't members or aren't logged in.

As in, "Yves Behar must be smoking some good loving crack to think that is a good design."

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Humongous Pear posted:

You can say "gently caress" here. The word filter is just for people who aren't members or aren't logged in.

As in, "Yves Behar must be smoking some good loving crack to think that is a good design."

Huh. I never realized that. Many thanks for pointing that out.

Anyway, I just found this gem. For those lucky enough to have recieved the controller with the faceplates still attached, there is virtually no indication of how to insert the batteries. And the controller apparently takes a good five minutes to sync up with the console.

Do we know who designed the controller? Was it ever confirmed to be Yves Behar? Because that's a pretty major oversight right there.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
So the thing on top is the remote? What? Why not just show the small set top box? Why lay the idiotic looking remote on top, making the whole device look like some weird giggleloop explanation?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Belial42 posted:

So the thing on top is the remote? What? Why not just show the small set top box? Why lay the idiotic looking remote on top, making the whole device look like some weird giggleloop explanation?

The current design fashion is minamilist Venus of Willendorfs, duh.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

Barudak posted:

The current design fashion is minamilist Venus of Willendorfs, duh.

Great, now I'm going to get fired for looking that up at work. Venus of Willendorfs would make an awesome little set top box though. Art and function in one place. I don't want to think what a remote would look like though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Brilliant, form over function, except without the form. Probably without the function too, if they're commissioning the guy who's fresh off designing the O.U.Y.A.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Hatbox Ghost posted:

http://imgur.com/J99sm8j

Oh yeah, and this doesn't fix the dead-zone issue either, if that's what you were wondering.

Oh poo poo, I thought he replaced the OUYA controller board with the 360 one. He just replaced the sticks... christ, what a dumbass. She's still going to be laughing at him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Anyway, I just found this gem. For those lucky enough to have recieved the controller with the faceplates still attached, there is virtually no indication of how to insert the batteries. And the controller apparently takes a good five minutes to sync up with the console.
Man, I hadn't actually seen anyone take the faceplates off before. It really looks like he's breaking his controller to remove it.

edit: Zylche, can you still see the top liked games on the store? I'm curious as to how those are doing.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 30, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

theflyingorc posted:

Man, I hadn't actually seen anyone take the faceplates off before. It really looks like he's breaking his controller to remove it.

My fingers hurt just watching it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

edit: Zylche, can you still see the top liked games on the store? I'm curious as to how those are doing.
The likes are stored on a per-game basis through the API. They don't expose it to the full games list, but I could find that out easily enough. Looking for a top 10 or?

Dec 26, 2012

I guess I'm not sure what an asymmetric rear end on its side has to do with TV/streaming, but that's why I'm not Yves Behar, Champion of Design.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SocketSeven posted:

My girlfriend really likes one of the vibrator he designed, so he is competent with dildos, if nothing else. :colbert:
Probably because he is a dildo.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

01011001 posted:

I guess I'm not sure what an asymmetric rear end on its side has to do with TV/streaming, but that's why I'm not Yves Behar, Champion of Design.

Just as the ouya was designed to evoke an oyster pail, playing off the chinese food leaving you feeling empty after a short time stereotype, so I believe this design is actually a genius artistic statement on the device; It's a bastardized hourglass with a larger bottom which would take a long time to fill. Basically it's going to pause to buffer a lot.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

He sounds so fed up with the Ouya in that video.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

How the heck does the remote stay balanced? It seems both incredibly easy to knock over and small enough to lose easily.

Also, as a cat owner...ha ha, ya right.

Dec 26, 2012

Cool Matty posted:

He sounds so fed up with the Ouya in that video.

If you had to go through all that poo poo every time you changed the batteries and then wait FIVE MINUTES for the controller to sync you'd be sick of it too.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

That's just two of these things.

theflyingorc posted:

Well I guess those extra loving magnets work, somehow.

luncheon meat fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 31, 2013

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I really have no clue why they chose that design for the controller. I mean, I'd think even someone who knew absolutely nothing about product design would naturally put the battery compartment on the bottom, like in every other controller. At least the box makes sense to me if I just forget everything I ever learned about engineering.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
New OUYA timed exclusive!!!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr Cheeto posted:

I really have no clue why they chose that design for the controller. I mean, I'd think even someone who knew absolutely nothing about product design would naturally put the battery compartment on the bottom, like in every other controller. At least the box makes sense to me if I just forget everything I ever learned about engineering.

The Yves guy just designed the outer look, he left the implementation details to Ouya's team.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

CHESS 2: REVENGE

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Hahaha, it's from David Sirlin too. Mind games, now on your SUPERSTREETFIGHTER2TURBOHDREMIX

Actually I'd be unsurprised if he ported that one online version of one of his card games on there because it uses a Unity web client and would be easy to port.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 31, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Somebody remind me of why anyone gives a poo poo about Mr. PLAY2WIN here.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
You must really be confident in yourself if you think you can balance chess more than the hundreds of years it's been around already has.

David Sirlin posted:

A double-blind bidding mechanic when you capture pieces allows for some "yomi" or mind reading of the opponent's intentions.

Oh right.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

He's been busy making odd poo poo as usual it seems, here's a $200 'smart lock' as well.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Stink Terios posted:

You say that as if An Untitled Story and Jumper aren't amazing. :colbert:

I didn't care for either of those games, but I'm aware they have a following.

Zeether posted:

Actually I'd be unsurprised if he ported that one online version of one of his card games on there because it uses a Unity web client and would be easy to port.

I would be surprised because I think he would be more protective of his original setting IP then of his lovely chess knockoff.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

I read this like an Onion article, because things like " Chess 1 was a big hit, no question there, but a few issues have cropped up over the years. ... And finally, the first version offered only a single army and one matchup " should only exist in satire. But it's not, is it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Veev posted:

You must really be confident in yourself if you think you can balance chess more than the hundreds of years it's been around already has.

Oh right.

Sirlin gonna do his thing. That said Bobby Fischer's variant system for Chess, Chess 960, is recognized as being a relatively interesting alteration to the core formula of chess. Unlike Chess 2 it's Chess 1 DLC.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Barudak posted:

Sirlin gonna do his thing. That said Bobby Fischer's variant system for Chess, Chess 960, is recognized as being a relatively interesting alteration to the core formula of chess. Unlike Chess 2 it's Chess 1 DLC.

I was going to say stupid but I sure as hell don't know chess all that well so maybe it could be improved, David Sirlin doesn't have a great record on HD Re-releases though.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Oh yeah, and this doesn't fix the dead-zone issue either, if that's what you were wondering.

I don't think anyone except for one person in that related reddit thread was wondering that. The OP even said it was just a comfort thing (just like people do with xbox 360 and ps3 controllers)

Y'all need to step your game up, this is not YCS caliber material

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Why would you make your smart lock only compatible with two specific models of iPhone?

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

Before I read this I'm going to guess "yomi" is in the article at least 4 times.

edit: Only once!

Rollie the Guar fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 31, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Veev posted:

I was going to say stupid but I sure as hell don't know chess all that well so maybe it could be improved, David Sirlin doesn't have a great record on HD Re-releases though.

There are a few sort of issues with Chess. The biggest and most pressing one is it is INCREDIBLY close to being a solved game. While you'll note that wikipedia thinks chess will never be solver the other related issue is that Chess can be very formulaic, rote memorization of certain tactics and famous games pays off more than tactical planning. Computers are great at the rote memorization so instead of solving chess proper, they solve individual games and force the game towards one of those models. The very static nature of chess makes this INCREDIBLY effective and limits the game, especially at high levels. Alternate evolutions from the games that became chess often address this by allowing captured pieces to be played to the board (like Shogi), or just by being fuckoff huge (like Shogi or Tamerlane's Chess). Go (while not related to chess) is a solved game on small boards (5x5) but is regularly played on 19x19 boards and thus is very deep.

I am almost interested to see how Sirlin would balance chess, because Fischer's (and other's) solutions have largely relied on randomization of certain variables. The parties are still equally matched in capabilities but the initial state of the game has changed so the rote strategies won't work. Sirlin doesn't like randomization and has made excellent cases for Asymmetrical balance before. I don't think I'd enjoy playing it, but it would be neat to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Well...

quote:

There are six armies to choose from, creating 21 matchups rather than just 1. While each army has its own twist, none are completely alien to chess. Each army modifies only a few (significant) things so that remembering what everything does isn't too hard. The six armies are:

Classic (back by popular demand)
Nemesis (favors pawns)
Empowered (favors knights, bishops, and rooks)
Reaper (favors queen)
Two Kings (favors kings)
Animals (wild card!)

So presumably it's something like asymmetrical in the sense of starting roster and position.

• Locked thread