Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Quarex posted:

Yes, it ... it IS beautiful. I have been wanting to actually drink Snake Squeezins for 25 years, and I feel closer than ever now.

And can I be the first (well, the first here) to publicly marvel at the fact that the movie "Three Amigos" factored so heavily into this update, despite never being mentioned?

(name/outfit of first character, for those who have no idea what I am talking about)

I :lol:ed when that came up. Also, it's nice to see that the M1989 is essentially just a M16 with a long magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Inventory ain't bad but I do wish they got rid of the item icons on the bottom right quarter and made the lines a lot tighter to fit more in one screen. I can see that part getting cluttered as you get more things. As it is, I'm getting some flashbacks of the lovely Skyrim inventory where you gotta scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll and scroll some more because scrolling until forever is apparently good design. Then scroll a bit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some sort of cross character item search might be a good idea. Trawling through multiple item lists in search of object "a" is never fun.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Yeah, I think that's why Obsidian are going for a shared inventory in Project Eternity.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I dig that. Like how you can sort by different things. Feels kind of spreadsheety, which is a good thing in this instance.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Young Freud posted:

I :lol:ed when that came up. Also, it's nice to see that the M1989 is essentially just a M16 with a long magazine.
I certainly had some trepidation when thinking about how I would actually see, for the first time in 25 years of thinking about them, what some of these iconic Wasteland items looked like, from the VP91Z to the Meson Cannon (or even Snake Squeezins). But I also have no doubt that they knew full well how important it was for these things to look awesome/memorable now.

Also I am happy about your new avatar.

Chairchucker posted:

I dig that. Like how you can sort by different things. Feels kind of spreadsheety, which is a good thing in this instance.
That is a good way to put it--and yeah, for a game like this, you want to have something that feels powerful to control your inventory. Even though the original game had its charms as well.

I do understand Fewd's concern, though, I have to say--I feel like it might be better for the monochrome inventory icons to be much smaller; they could still be full-(current-)size on the paperdoll if equipped.

YOU GUYS WASTELAND 2

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE ALPHA(ISH) WASTELAND 2

BECAUSE IT IS A REAL THING

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that inventory system looks like a dream for me.

And you're telling me it is grid-based as well? :swoon:

Seriously, love the entire thing, even having tool-tip mouse-overs for stats is all I could ever ask for.

I wasn't expecting a paperdoll to be as animated/detailed as that either, this is going to be incredible.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Well, the game is below my standards actually, because I'd hoped for an AUTHENTIC experience of the wasteland. Inxile, this is below you, as I'd expected you to use spreadsheets and plastic figurines to retrieve the TRUE rpg feel. Instead, you have console graphics and simplified everything. Also, let me tell you how the gun design isn't reallistic by virtue of an essay that also criticizes the way your wasteland isn't REALISTIC.
:goonsay:

-Most comments on Wasteland 2 official forums, any minute now

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's like Fallout Tactics and New Vegas had a baby and it was awesome.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Some sort of cross character item search might be a good idea. Trawling through multiple item lists in search of object "a" is never fun.

If the sorting function is robust enough you shouldn't have to, but yeah scrolling through endless lists like Skyrim isn't enjoyable.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

LotsBread posted:

-Most comments on Wasteland 2 official forums, any minute now
I am not trying to say you are wrong, because I am absolutely sure some people will find a way to criticize this, but Wasteland 2 on the whole is proof positive that if you actually listen to the fans and then make tweaks that they love while keeping the basic design you had all along that they REALLY WILL BE HAPPY for the most part.

I mean, assuming Wasteland 2 comes out and is as great as it seems like it is going to be, it is going to completely crush so many stereotypes about what "listening to your fans" means.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
So if someone theoretically lost access to the email address that signed up for this what should they do?

I sent them a message by the web form a week ago but no reply...

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What is the expected release date, again? I was under the impression it was September 2013 but then the update mentions that "the beta is still months away" so I must be wrong.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Furism posted:

What is the expected release date, again? I was under the impression it was September 2013 but then the update mentions that "the beta is still months away" so I must be wrong.
Last I remember it was tentatively in Oct.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Is October still the target release? Because, I'd totally understand if it were delayed a few months. Good things come to those who wait, and all that.

Loving the inventory footage, and it ticks all my boxes. However I think I'm done reading comments from other backers. Nitpicks out the rear end ;D

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zaii posted:

Is October still the target release? Because, I'd totally understand if it were delayed a few months. Good things come to those who wait, and all that.

Loving the inventory footage, and it ticks all my boxes. However I think I'm done reading comments from other backers. Nitpicks out the rear end ;D

Nothing wrong with nitpicks at this stage, as long as they are sincere.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I love the inventory, especially that you can:

- see your character
- see the image of the item (not sure why but it really makes it better)
- sort items by various criteria
- search fast by item categories

Only thing I'm missing (and I'm sure I'm not alone in that) is search filter. Preferably even with a tickbox for cross-party search. In most RPGs (any item-heavy games, really) you acquire so many items during the game that it becomes incredibly tedious to find anything even if you know what you're looking for, see Skyrim and endless scrolling as mentioned above.

But seriously - good job, guys!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zaii posted:

I can barely find anything off about the inventory interface, but I'd be really interested in reading some good nitpicks to see if I agree with them.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Pyradox posted:

Yeah, I think that's why Obsidian are going for a shared inventory in Project Eternity.

I think if this game ends up dealing with limited ammo/etc like I always had in the first, it's better to keep your weapons/ammo separate so it's a real thing you need to consider in combat.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
True Glug, though any game with a skill for Bullet Swaging is probably going to be fairly fastidious about keeping ammunition as its own thing.

Also even though I of course want the game to come out in October, for selfish reasons I am secretly hoping it comes out like the second week of November or something, since one of my lifelong best friends is getting married in October in New York City and if that is the same day as the release party ... as much as it pains me to say it, I would go to my friend's wedding. BUT I WOULD BE REALLY SAD THE WHOLE TIME.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Except for the comically huge weapons (why's that?), I really like what I am seeing.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tarquinn posted:

Except for the comically huge weapons (why's that?), I really like what I am seeing.

I really like what I'm seeing, especially the comically huge weapons.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

especially the comically huge weapons.

I don't. It fit the exaggerated style of XCOM - and the weapons themselves were stylized - it looks stupid in a more gritty and realistic aesthetic.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

From descriptions I have read of the first Wasteland, I got the impression that the tone was not overly serious.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chairchucker posted:

From descriptions I have read of the first Wasteland, I got the impression that the tone was not overly serious.
It wasn't, but neither was it overly humorous like Fallout. I'm guessing that they're going for clarity in this case: the assumption is that most of the game will be played in a fairly zoomed-out state, and you still want to be able to see what weapons the characters are carrying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The guns are fine, you guys just don't realize the people holding them are only 4'8" because the radiation has stunted everyone's growth. :smug:

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Tarquinn posted:

Except for the comically huge weapons (why's that?)
Perspective. You have to give in-game items more exaggerated proportions to make them clear and readable from our standard top-down camera angle. But that does make it a little trickier when you pull the camera down like this.

Tippis posted:

It wasn't, but neither was it overly humorous like Fallout.
It was a lot sillier than Fallout. At least, Fallout 1.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Brother None posted:

Perspective. You have to give in-game items more exaggerated proportions to make them clear and readable from our standard top-down camera angle. But that does make it a little trickier when you pull the camera down like this.

It was a lot sillier than Fallout. At least, Fallout 1.

You fought a man called the Bunny Master, and could get giant tomatoes flung at you if you pissed off the wrong people. Wasteland was pretty drat silly.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Jonny Retro posted:

You fought a man called the Bunny Master, and could get giant tomatoes flung at you if you pissed off the wrong people. Wasteland was pretty drat silly.

YOUR BALLS AGAINST THE WALL

(how many get that reference?)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jonny Retro posted:

Pff! In Fallout, you fight a guy who waded into combat with a desk. :P

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Tippis posted:

Pff! In Fallout, you fight a guy who waded into combat with a desk. :P

What? Where? When? I need to find that guy when I replay the game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Vavrek posted:

What? Where? When? I need to find that guy when I replay the game.

The mobster you can go after (or try to ally yourself with) in Junktown. Ok, perhaps “wading into combat” isn't entirely accurate — he just sits behind his desk and shoots at you, but the sprite for the character (outlined in red in combat) is of him and his desk.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

amanasleep posted:

YOUR BALLS AGAINST THE WALL

(how many get that reference?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3TlrZLpQ0

I always forget if the game's reference was to this or to something else. But given that Alan Pavlish was/is apparently a big RATT fan, I imagine it being a reference to this was more likely.

Wasteland was interestingly comical--if you went to the Agricultural Center first, you could easily get the impression that they had somehow crafted a post-apocalyptic comedy. If you went to Camp Highpool first, and completed the whole thing, you might legitimately feel like you had committed the most vile act in all of electronic gaming history (and to be fair you probably had, how many other games let you do horrible things by 1988?), and "funny" would be the last word you were likely to use.

And the fact that these existed side-by-side (literally, even, on the world map, almost!) is really what was so great about Wasteland. Maybe it was entirely a function of who designed each section, but the comedy of the game was not interwoven throughout, for the most part--it was sporadic, and great when it was there, because so much of the game had the potential to be fairly upsetting, so it was nice when suddenly there was an encounter with a mutated prostitute or the only reason you retrieved a VISA card as part of a "fetch quest" was so that a guy could put peanut butter on it and eat it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Tippis posted:

The mobster you can go after (or try to ally yourself with) in Junktown. Ok, perhaps “wading into combat” isn't entirely accurate — he just sits behind his desk and shoots at you, but the sprite for the character (outlined in red in combat) is of him and his desk.

Oh, him. I never noticed that. Thank you, I'll pay special attention to it the next time I'm shooting him.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Tippis posted:

Not just his sprite, but also his wireframe, if you are using a targeted attack.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Brother None posted:

Still think straight up magnifying realistic looking weapons looks like poo poo. There are stylistic tricks to hiding scale, if having them be big is that important. But that requires more time, talent and money.

Whether or not the game is less serious than Fallout doesn't matter (not addressing this at you BN). It's the tone of the visuals. And so far, unlike XCOM, it's all been barely stylized realism.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rinkles posted:

Still think straight up magnifying realistic looking weapons looks like poo poo. There are stylistic tricks to hiding scale, if having them be big is that important. But that requires more time, talent and money.

Whether or not the game is less serious than Fallout doesn't matter (not addressing this at you BN). It's the tone of the visuals. And so far, unlike XCOM, it's all been barely stylized realism.

Saying their stylistic choice that you don't agree with is the product of lack of talent instead of a conscious decision by the team is pretty dickish, dude.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Saying their stylistic choice that you don't agree with is the product of lack of talent instead of a conscious decision by the team is pretty dickish, dude.

Maybe. I'm giving my honest opinion. A lot about the presentation of the game looks like it's being done on a tight budget/is a work in progress (the postures of your team members, the integration of typeface into the ui, some simple/ugly models). These are things I'm absolutely willing to sacrifice to get a good game in a niche genre, but they're there. To me the oversized weapons - more how they're scaled than that they are; look at the barrel of that 5.56 rifle! - are one of a number of things that point to a lack of a tight artistic vision. If you're going blow up the size of your guns you have to caricaturize them in some capacity, else it looks plain silly - like a bunch of men holding oversized props. The AR is the worst offender, imo.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Some of my favorite games ever have the most base graphics you can imagine. Tone and imagery was conveyed almost entirely through text. That's taking the argument to an extreme, but to dismiss the art assets as looking like they were done on a budget when they were, in fact, done on a budget is kinda weird when talking about a game like this that is VERY text-heavy.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, I'm just saying that unlike the super high budget games we are mostly used to nowadays, this game is sold mainly on its storytelling, not on its visuals (which I personally think range from decent to great).

I'm sure when this game comes out if the graphics being a little janky is the only complaint you or I have about it, then I'll be a happy camper (and you probably will be too). I know I tend to look past a lot of problems with a game if I love the story (New Vegas). I don't know what that says about me, but there ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wasn't complaining, I was vaguely critiquing. Nothing shown so far has me in any measure regretting backing the project. I even said that presentation is ancillary to other things important in the genre. And I'm not saying things look tragic. I like the general look of the game and it's environments. I'm talking about polish, not the meat and potatoes.

• Locked thread