Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Umbra Dubium posted:

As long as it's never Boris.

Ahhhhh! Classic legend, mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Noxville posted:

I always assumed Frankie Boyle's show would be terrible and unfunny, I never realised it would be this terrible and unfunny.

It's really hit and miss, I found when it hit, it hit hard and was great, when it missed it was embarrassing.

Shiny Llama
Jan 1, 2013

It seems Richard Ayoade is the only choice.

As long as he can play quirky and not all-out weird, he'd be perfect.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd never heard this about Moffat being so slow with scripts. It kind of sounds like an excuse; doesn't he only write one episode of Sherlock per season? And after it became clear that working on two shows turned the more high-profile one that he was entirely in charge of into a stupid bullshit mess, would he not go back to just working on the one? If Sherlock had never existed, would Moffat's second and third doctor Who series have been as good as his first one? Necessary sacrifice imo

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I just want a showrunner who will write one or two scripts a season, edit other writers as needed, and do a classic-style "let's wander around different worlds and do stuff" Who instead of going completely up their rear end with timey wimey continuity twists and overcomplicated arcs. Season finales should be about more than explaining the obtuse references shoehorned into your regular episodes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Elotana posted:

Season finales should be about more than explaining the obtuse references shoehorned into your regular episodes.

So, you didn't like Nine's season then?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

computer parts posted:

So, you didn't like Nine's season then?

I don't know that really counts since that took about ten seconds of explanation and was really foreshadowing more than laid-in clues.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Matt Berry, accept no substitutes.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Shiny Llama posted:

Yes, this would be amazing, he's been my idea for the next doctor for a while. Everybody I suggest it to instantly gets on board as well so that must mean its amazing. Come on BBC!

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Noxville posted:

I don't know that really counts since that took about ten seconds of explanation and was really foreshadowing more than laid-in clues.

9's run/ BADWOLF was one idea that was subtly laid throughout the season. It doesn't really compare to the 3-season long, convoluted, hooks-on-hooks, shenanigans that have been going on since Moff took over.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Elotana posted:

I just want a showrunner who will write one or two scripts a season, edit other writers as needed, and do a classic-style "let's wander around different worlds and do stuff" Who instead of going completely up their rear end with timey wimey continuity twists and overcomplicated arcs. Season finales should be about more than explaining the obtuse references shoehorned into your regular episodes.

Woah who got into my Doctor Who Journal? I really want more Vincent and the Doctor kinda episodes or hell even Fire of Pompeii, see a historical figure/event solve some stuff or defeat a bad guy who isn't trying to destroy the entire universe/earth (just not with power of love please) or even realize that you can't do anything with all your powers when it comes to fixed events. I really don't like the season long arcs/mysteries, the cracks were fine because it was just tacked on in the background or at the end, other than killing Rory :lol:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Royal W posted:

9's run/ BADWOLF was one idea that was subtly laid throughout the season. It doesn't really compare to the 3-season long, convoluted, hooks-on-hooks, shenanigans that have been going on since Moff took over.

It was subtly laid but that's because it was an afterthought that seems to have been added in at the last minute.

"Oh Bad Wolf refers to the guys that own the broadcast tower that are really the Daleks but it's really Rose who absorbed Time Energy and something something energy monster".

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I'd never heard this about Moffat being so slow with scripts. It kind of sounds like an excuse; doesn't he only write one episode of Sherlock per season? And after it became clear that working on two shows turned the more high-profile one that he was entirely in charge of into a stupid bullshit mess, would he not go back to just working on the one? If Sherlock had never existed, would Moffat's second and third doctor Who series have been as good as his first one? Necessary sacrifice imo

Writing is pretty hard and time-consuming, ontop of that, he's an actual executive producer. If he's not writing, then he's sitting in on casting, production meetings, watching dailies, etc....and he's doing it on two shows!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Elotana posted:

Space Adventures Who is definitely more fun to watch than Kind Of An Adventure But Really Let's Talk About Stuff From The Finale Who. It gets a little tiring, which is frustrating because its still fun enough to enjoy watching.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yannick_B posted:

Writing is pretty hard and time-consuming, ontop of that, he's an actual executive producer. If he's not writing, then he's sitting in on casting, production meetings, watching dailies, etc....and he's doing it on two shows!

I think that, during the programme's "golden age" (and I'm extrapolating this from DVD production notes), the duties of a modern "show runner" were split between the script editor and the producer, with the former overseeing the stories and the latter mainly taking care of everything else while making some contributions to the stories.

I've heard that JNT was the first producer to take on more and more of a "show runner" role (in the contemporary sense) but I haven't the information to credit it myself.

Perhaps Moffat's problem is that he has the inclinations of a script editor but has to shoulder the duties of a producer at the same time.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Just saw Nightmare In Silver & this yesterday. :drat:

Also pretty :( of the news Smith will be gone. I recently had a drunken chat with one of my friends of how I wouldn't mind a Welsh Doctor for 12th. She then opted Ruth Jones to take the reigns -"I feels it. :v:" she said, which is both hilarious & boggling to imagine.

TerryCheesecake
Aug 2, 2003
-
Robert Carlyle as Begbie Doctor is my vote

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Gally posted:

Yes, this would be amazing, he's been my idea for the next doctor for a while. Everybody I suggest it to instantly gets on board as well so that must mean its amazing. Come on BBC!
Ayoade is a terrible actor though. The only time he should play the Doctor is in a sketch show.

That and hes too busy being an awesome director.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I know it will never, ever, EVER happen, but I'd kind of like to see what it would be like if Jemaine Clement was The Doctor for a bit.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Doctor should regenerate into two people, played by Ant & Dec.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

TerryCheesecake posted:

Robert Carlyle as Begbie Doctor is my vote

Robert Carlye would be an absolutely awesome doctor, he could play it somewhere between Dr Rush from SGU and Rumplestiltskin in Once Upon a Time. He is a bit of a big name to be the doctor though, which is a shame.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I've seen James Callis on some of those odds lists and I think he would be great. That guy needs more work.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
So Paterson Joseph isn't the bookies favourite this time. Well that's a given then.

e: Doctor Who SPOILERS: Odds against Johnson

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pops Mgee posted:

I've seen James Callis on some of those odds lists and I think he would be great. That guy needs more work.

Only if we get a head-companion.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Only if we get a head-companion.

Don't say that, you know it would be River.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Was it ITT or on Digital Spy a few weeks ago where somebody was claiming top secret industry insider info from a friend of a friend that they were casting 12? Whoever they were, :golfclap:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Don't say that, you know it would be River.

I just realized we already just did that in the last episode with the doctor kissing the air, I am sorry but James Callis has to be taken out of the running, anything that increases the chances of flooding the River needs to be blocked.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
Callis would be great! No need for a "head" companion either as we've already got Clara the magic dragon coming back.

Milkshake Stranger
Feb 8, 2010

Some suggestions... of course, none are likely to come true

Rhys Ifans
James Mcavoy
Bill Nighy (I would love to see this happen)

Edit:

and I forgot to add

Jason Statham

Milkshake Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 3, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember James McAvoy was seen as a serious contender for replacing Tennant, but I guess he's busy with the X-Men movies now.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Metal Loaf posted:

I remember James McAvoy was seen as a serious contender for replacing Tennant, but I guess he's busy with the X-Men movies now.

Plus he needs to keep himself available for when they decide to reboot TNG.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Shiny Llama posted:

He would make a fantastic Doctor if he basically just plays up a Doctorified version of himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RraKa-PKFPs

Probably would be the most bemused and sarcastic but also easygoing Doctor incarnation. I could see him taking the piss and vigor of just about any horrible enemies, and make them feel like flipping idiots in the process.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
There's one last bit of good news before Matt Smith's lamentable passing, and I think I'll be safe enough to tell you guys in a couple of weeks.

I'm really going to miss him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
No, Barry. There's no good news now. None. Good news is over.

:smith:

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

James Callis would be absolutely inspired. Holy poo poo. Especially if he kept the long Baltar locks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Right, according to Bleeding Cool, 12 has been cast since January. I think I could get used to this face:

(Ben Daniels)

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Can you throw us a link or a source or...something?

Edit: Never mind, it's just speculation. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/02/who-will-be-the-thirteenth-doctor/

Gau fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 3, 2013

ButtercupSaiyan
May 25, 2013

by Fistgrrl

quote:

I'm sorry I LIKED Moffat's cliffhanger, I thought it was brill. And if you read the Shroud of Sorrow novel, I think it will answer a lot of things for you, I know it did for me. Well, does. I'm still reading it. Clara the "Impossible Girl" is an amazing companion and I need to watch Asylum of the Daleks again. I love the white spinning one. "WHEE I'M A PRETTY BALLERINA!"

Neil Gaiman probably tops my chart as favorite Who writer, though. Cannot WAIT for Anniversary Special. Bring it on.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The media speculation is hilarious, because they're all like :siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren: with a currently living actor's face and "This person could be the next Doctor!(but so could just about anybody else)" as the headline.

edit: particularly great are all the unsourced "current favorite is..." articles.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Gau posted:

Can you throw us a link or a source or...something?

Edit: Never mind, it's just speculation. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/02/who-will-be-the-thirteenth-doctor/

What a hilarious article - Sue Perkins indeed. I can't get the thought of her and companion Paul Hollywood running around preventing intergalactic cake baking shenanigans now.

Do they still have the "Who did River kill to be sent to prison?" storyline to finish since it turned out it wasn't the actual Doctor she killed at the lakeside or did I blink and miss the resolution?

• Locked thread