Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bean
Sep 9, 2001
It's possible Monobear just said "gently caress it" and gave them Polybius. :v:

Another thought I had, that little bunny tamagotchi minigame? It would be hilarious if that somehow determined the ending we got, like letting the little guy die gave you the bad end or something.

Bean fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falling Stars
Mar 22, 2013

When I think about helping everyone, I feel brave!
I'm very much interested in finding out more about Nanami! She seems like she's going to be a cool character, like Kirigiri sort of. Hinata seems kind of interested in her too, so she's probably going to be important. :0

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't decide whether Pekoyama or Nanami is this game's Kirigiri. Both have that sort of impassive stare, but so far Nanami seems like she's more in the know about a lot of things.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
It just occurred to me that Hinata and the gang have left Komeada tied up or whatever for a entire day now. Way to go, guys, hope Komeada hasn't starved to death or anything.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't decide whether Pekoyama or Nanami is this game's Kirigiri. Both have that sort of impassive stare, but so far Nanami seems like she's more in the know about a lot of things.

Nanami seems to be closer to the Kirigiri role, IMO. Peko is... actually, I'm not quite sure what to make of Peko yet; maybe this chapter will tell us a bit more about her.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think they said something about feeding him earlier in the day, actually.

Edit: They did.

orenronen posted:

We should at least bring him food and water. We don’t want him dying of starvation...

I...I know that...

Assuming Souda wasn't just trying to placate everyone, chances are that they did go to feed him. Besides, he and Nidai would likely be found to be the culprits if he did die, so that wouldn't be of any help to them.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 3, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Bean posted:

It's possible Monobear just said "gently caress it" and gave them Polybius. :v:

Polybius posted:

There is no witness so dreadful, no accuser so terrible as the conscience that dwells in the heart of every man.

Seems like exactly the right kind of reading for participants in a murder game.

(I know about the urban legend, I just thought it was fitting.)

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

Nanami seems to be closer to the Kirigiri role, IMO. Peko is... actually, I'm not quite sure what to make of Peko yet; maybe this chapter will tell us a bit more about her.

I think she's the game's Sakura. Like Sakura, she's strong and stoic, but interactions with the other characters show that she's socially insecure, especially about herself. It was really easy for Hanamura to push her buttons. And during the trial, she withheld important information out of embarrassment. I know Japan has a different view on divulging personal problems, but it still seems a little extreme to not want to just say "I had food poisoning" when the alternative is being executed.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Time for some more Super High School Level Scribblenauts! Second batch is coming out.

Mikan was supposed to be programmed to freak out whenever she bumped into an object, but I hosed it up and now she just freaks out permanently. I feel like that's a little more fitting.

I don't like this one much, but then again I don't like this character either. The problem was the hair, I couldn't find a good pigtails model (Scribblenauts doesn't let you insert hair, you have to find a preexisting head and use that), so I went with the Geisha one. Since she's a classical dancer, I thought that was at least a little fitting. She's also programmed to murder all animals.

I really like Sonia, so I wanted to do her justice. Her brooch thing is actually a merging of two different objects I colored separately. She hasn't been shown to have any quirky habits so far, so I didn't really work with the programming for this one. She behaves the same as a normal "Princess" object would.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

So does this mean that if you collect enough Hope Shards, you get a Starite?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I don't like this one much, but then again I don't like this character either. The problem was the hair, I couldn't find a good pigtails model (Scribblenauts doesn't let you insert hair, you have to find a preexisting head and use that), so I went with the Geisha one. Since she's a classical dancer, I thought that was at least a little fitting. She's also programmed to murder all animals.

Will she murder robot animals as well? We need a scribblenaut version of her murdering the monobeasts and leading everyone to freedom.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jeek posted:

Will she murder robot animals as well? We need a scribblenaut version of her murdering the monobeasts and leading everyone to freedom.

I wonder if Monobear's no-aggression rules apply to magnifying glasses?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Jeek posted:

Anything in the "Animal" category is fair game for her. And I'll get to work.

E: Does anyone know exactly what animals the Monobeasts are?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Anything in the "Animal" category is fair game for her. And I'll get to work.

E: Does anyone know exactly what animals the Monobeasts are?

The first one is a tiger, it might be considered spoilery for whatever reason to confirm the rest.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Anatharon posted:

The first one is a tiger, it might be considered spoilery for whatever reason to confirm the rest.

Well they seem to correspond with the statue, so I'd say Tiger, Eagle, Horse, Snake and Human.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Well they seem to correspond with the statue, so I'd say Tiger, Eagle, Horse, Snake and Human.

Didn't really come out very well, but here's what I got.

Saionjii and her rocket launcher face the oncoming horde. A couple of them are already running away. The Human is already dead.

(Ignore those other guys, I can't remove them. Also ignore that it's on a farm, I'd pick a better spot, but it would spoil my own LP.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a farm in this game, though, so that's not too weird. We can just assume the Monobeasts went there to terrorize the chickens or something.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 4, 2013

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

A few pages ago someone linked an Achewood strip. Monobear's white half kinda looks like a character from that comic.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Pentaro posted:

A few pages ago someone linked an Achewood strip. Monobear's white half kinda looks like a character from that comic.

Does that make Monomi Beef? "I got hewwa depwession"

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Here's one thing I can't believe no one mentioned so far:

orenronen posted:

It's gonna be fine! Making curry taste bad requires some serious skill!

Now, I'm not certain at all that this is an intentional reference, but I find it amusing considering Ibuki's voice actress, Ami Koshimizu, also plays a character in Persona 4 that has an entire plotline revolving around how she makes absolutely terrible, inedible curry rice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wow, Dangan Ronpa is not only a game, but a love letter to voice actors it seems.

tinyTaxidermist
Apr 26, 2013
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, (I avoided reading too many of the other posts before I got caught up), but something about what Sonia said earlier is bothering me. When everyone was gathered at the "ruins", she mentioned that she had found the "latest issue" of her favorite occult magazine. In DR, monobear specifically said that the magazines in the recreation room wouldn't be updated at all. It's probably nothing, but it makes me think that this run is definitely not being broadcast on TV, especially because I think an occult magazine would be all over something like this.

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

tinyTaxidermist posted:

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, (I avoided reading too many of the other posts before I got caught up), but something about what Sonia said earlier is bothering me. When everyone was gathered at the "ruins", she mentioned that she had found the "latest issue" of her favorite occult magazine. In DR, monobear specifically said that the magazines in the recreation room wouldn't be updated at all. It's probably nothing, but it makes me think that this run is definitely not being broadcast on TV, especially because I think an occult magazine would be all over something like this.

If there was a time skip, they don't know the actual date. They think it's still x years ago. So a magazine from x years ago would be the "latest issue" relative to the year they think it is. So if the issue was released just before they got to the island, and they think that they just got there, that issue would appear to be the latest issue.

jabberwockyx
May 28, 2013

tinyTaxidermist posted:

My hypothesis is that Sonia only thinks it's the latest issue of her favorite magazine -- if they lost two years worth of memories, for example, the magazine might be two years old. It's not really being updated, they just assume that they're seeing the most recent information because they don't yet know the full extent of their memory loss. At least, that's how I interpreted it!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

Now, I'm not certain at all that this is an intentional reference, but I find it amusing considering Ibuki's voice actress, Ami Koshimizu, also plays a character in Persona 4 that has an entire plotline revolving around how she makes absolutely terrible, inedible curry rice.

Eh, could be a coincidence. On the other hand, if Akane starts talking about how she wants to be a professional detective, then we'll know it's probably intentional. :v:

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Pentaro posted:

Monobear: He Gets Things Done.

(seriously though, this is fantastic :D)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

I thought that was all of the female party members?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

alcharagia posted:

It is, but only one of their S. Links involves much cooking.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

alcharagia posted:

For the curry incident, just two of them. There's more food shenanigans later in the game that don't involve curry.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, right, now I remember. All those scenes just kinda blurred together in my memory by virtue of being filler comedy scenes that didn't involve Kanji much.

tinyTaxidermist
Apr 26, 2013

Fantastisk posted:

If there was a time skip, they don't know the actual date. They think it's still x years ago. So a magazine from x years ago would be the "latest issue" relative to the year they think it is. So if the issue was released just before they got to the island, and they think that they just got there, that issue would appear to be the latest issue.

Hey good point, I didn't think of that.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

orenronen posted:

After playing enough Super Robot Wars I don't even blink at VA jokes unless they get to the point where Misato Katsuragi is asking Amuro Ray out on a date.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

* ding dong ding dong *

Um, This is an announcement from Hope's Peak Academy's Field Trip Executive Committee...
Good morning, you bastards! It’s another perfect tropical day!
Let's enjoy it for all it’s worth!

Re: Beautiful Morning

I guess I should go to the restaurant...

I left the cottage, as had become my morning routine... and immediately ran into--

...Aa?
Kuzuryuu...

Feh... Just my luck. First thing I get to see in the morning is your ugly mug.

Let's skip the chit-chat. I don't want to talk to you. I happen to be in a bad mood.
You don't seem to be heading to the restaurant... Where are you going?

Didn't I just say I don’t want to talk to you...? I'm on my way back to my cottage. Leave me alone.
On your way back...? Back from where?

Is some part of this not getting through to you?!
...You didn't go play that game, did you?

W...What the...?
Just as I thought... So that thing you're holding...

What's this envelope? Is there something inside?

S...Shut up! What gives you the right to interrogate me?!
I...I'm not interrogating anyone...! It's just...
What, you find me disagreeable? It bothers you I left you idiots behind and acted on my own?
Well, what are you going to do about that?! You gonna give me "justice", like you did Komaeda?!
I said I don't...

Don't come anywhere near me again! If you do, I swear I'll kill you then and there!

If things keep going this way... he might actually end up being dangerous.

I should probably report to the rest... while somehow keeping them at bay.

The wind is quiet today... too quiet. I pray it is not an omen of disaster...

I saw Kuzuryuu a short while ago, but it seems he will not be coming to breakfast today either...
I also have things to think about... I think I will go for a stroll...

Hinata-saaaan! Listen, listen, listen!!
W...What is it?

Nanami-san taught me how to play video games...! She was so kind, so courteous...!
And then... and then... she even let me play a match with her...!

Uyu... I'm so very very happy I was able to play with a friend...

Heh heh heh heh... Thank you kindly, Nanami-san.

You don’t have to thank me. I had fun too.

How about... another round?

O...Okay! I am at your service!

I've never seen her so happy before... I guess I can thank Nanami for that.

Tsumiki-san said she’d never played a video game until today.

That's like wasting 90 percent of your life, isn't it?
Um... Well... I guess different people have different values.

Ah, perfect timing! I’ve been waiting ages, but no-one’s showed up! Why does this always happen when you need someone?
You've been waiting...? For what?

You see, I was just about to go... deliver this, but...

Is that... a breakfast tray?
Oh! Is that for Komaeda?!

Well, it’s like we said... If we just leave him there, he’ll die of starvation...

And... how long are we gonna keep this up, anyway?
Yeah... It's not like we can keep him there forever...

...That's what I thought until a few minutes ago. Now... Now I think I’d be okay with forever.
...Hm? What do you mean?
I went to visit him just now. I thought I'd be kind and bring him breakfast...

And then... ugh... can you believe this?! It makes me sick...

He said he didn't like the food I brought and that I should come back with toast. Does he even understand the situation he's in?!
Wow... that’s... pretty bad.

...You think so too?

So... how about you take this back to him in my place?
...Huh?

He can't make me run around in circles... I'm not his servant, and I don't wanna be.
Besides... I just remembered there's something else I wanted to do.
...Something else?

Anyway, thanks! I owe you one.

Before I’d even registered what she’d said, the tray was in my hands and she was gone.

...Dammit. Well, I guess I don't have a choice now.

He's tied up... in the old lodge, right?

Wait, there she is, just by the pool! What's all that about "something important"?

Is that big bro Komaeda's breakfast?

You should be honored big sis Koizumi asked you this favor! Go on, go feed our lil’ pet!

"Our lil’ pet"...? Even for him, that's too cruel...

Hey, you shouldn't just force people to do things for you!

I'm not doing any such thing! You accepted of your own free will, didn't you?

Besides... There really is something I have to do, but Hiyoko-chan...

Yeah! Leave us alone, big bro Hinata! I'm going to the supermarket with big sis Koizumi!

We're going candy shopping together!

Sure, but... don't cling to me. It's difficult to walk that way...

So let's walk hand in hand! Tee-hee-hee!

Yeah, of course.

But, I can't hang out with you all day, okay? There's something important I have to do.

Awwwww... Well, let's ditch big bro Hinata and hurry up, then!
You heard her, Hinata... Um, I still owe you one.

Saionji seems to have really taken to Koizumi... They almost look like sisters.

Yawn... Ah... Woke up late. S’not like me at all...

Hey... what's with the tray? You going for breakfast out in the sun, or...

O...Oi... don't tell me...!

You're gonna take Sonia-san on a picnic or a fun lunch or something, right?!
What...? It’s way too early for lunch... Besides, this is for Komaeda.

Oh! S’that what this is? Sorry, sorry... Thanks for taking care of him for us!
How about taking over for me?

Nah... Nah, that's definitely out of the question.
S...See ya later, Hinata!

He... ran away.

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

You can't! The old lodge is under constwuction, and entwy is forbidden!
If entry is forbidden, why is Komaeda inside?

Howawa! You know about that, Hinata-kun?!

B...But... Nidai-kun and Souda-kun said their dear teacher Monomi was the only one they could twust...
And... Komaeda-kun certainly needs to do some soul-searching...
...I came here to bring him breakfast. If he dies of starvation, wouldn't someone be accused of murder?

S...Stawvation?! Howawawawa!
...May I go inside?

O...Of course! Tell him to chew his food properly, so he doesn't choke up!

Re: Beautiful Morning

That’s great and everything, but shouldn’t Monomi have already had this conversation with Koizumi? Don’t really see why the starvation angle is such a shock to her... Ah, whatever.

She also didn’t stop us on our failed attempt to free time Komaeda. I guess she’s not a very good guard.

Music fades out

Komaeda... is tied up in there...

Suddenly, I found myself short for breath.

Why am I so nervous?

I tried to shake off my inexplicable unease, and opened the door with all the determination I could muster.

I peeked into the room, and there, inside...

He lay waiting, with a smile on his face.

Ocean Breeze Dead End

...Hinata-kun?
Ah. You came all the way here just to bring someone like me some food?
That makes me so happy!
I'm sorry I can't be a better host, but as you can see, I'm a little... tied up at the moment. In any case, make yourself at home.

He... hasn't changed.
His words carry a strange weight that completely contrasts with his smile...

Every time he opens his mouth, black poison floods out, making this dim room even darker...

...Figuratively, of course. Yeah... I’m just imagining it.

Oh? What's wrong? Your face just tensed up all of a sudden...
I didn't come here to talk to you. I just have your food.
Here. Eat.
Huh? Aren't you going to feed me?
W...Why the hell would I do that?!
Because I can't eat by myself. See? My hands aren't exactly free...
I... was too embarrassed to ask a girl to feed me, so I'm glad it's you who came, Hinata-kun.

Koizumi, you...! So this is why she had me come here...

By the way... what's up with Koizumi? She said she had something important to do and disappeared somewhere, didn’t she...?

...Huh? How come you know that?
Speaking of, I heard about... "Twilight Syndrome Murder Mystery", was it?
I'm not sure how I feel about that... I liked that game, you know.
D...Don't change the subject! I asked you...
...But, nevertheless, I must say I am a little disappointed.
You guys aren't facing the threat in front of you properly. That's not how Super High-school Levels should behave.
Do you still intend not to play that game? Do you think Monobear will just leave you alone if you don't?
N...No... That is...
You should take a stand and face the danger straight on... You are the Hope that can face any Despair, after all.

I hate to say it, but his words do make a little sense...

Averting our eyes from the problem isn't going to solve anything. We're just delaying the inevitable...

But...

I'm not going to let you fool me anymore. Goodbye.

W...Wait, Hianta-kun? My food... weren't you going to feed me?
Hey, Hinata-kun! C'mon!

Music fades out

poo poo... All it took was a few minutes with him to ruin my mood...!

But still... I am curious.

Can I really just ignore that game? I mean, I'm sure some of the others...

Like, oh, say, Souda, Koizumi, Tsumiki, Pekoyama and Kuzuryuu.

No... I can't let that worry me.
There are... other things I have to do.

FREE TIME START

We're doing things a little differently this time. Instead of picking the two characters you'd like to have a free time event with, pick any characters you don't want to talk to. You may choose as many as you'd like. We'll go talk to the two characters with the least amount of votes. The poll is here.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm not sure what it says about me that I was just giggling like a maniac during the entire second part of that update.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Nagito stop it you're being even creepier than usual.

I can't wait for him to somehow win the free-time vote again.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If Nagito spends the rest of the game managing to be creepy and manipulative while tied up in the lodge, I would be completely cool with that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I know people have said it before, but I still like the differences between our new protagonist and our old one. The fact that he finally just decided "gently caress you I'm done listening to you be creepy and manipulative, bye." is a bit different than I'd expect from my anime protagonists.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
That was the weirdest "eat-lunch-with-your-friend/love interest" scene I've ever read in a visual novel. Too bad it wasn't on a school rooftop.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

Like, oh, say, Souda, Koizumi, Tsumiki, Pekoyama and Kuzuryuu.

Koizumi, Pekoyama, and Kuzuryuu, I agree with. (Kuzuryuu almost certainly has played the game already, and Koizumi and Peko are clearly considering it.)

Souda and Tsumiki, I'm less convinced. Souda could just be a simple case of sleeping late, and Mikan just seems happy to get some positive attention from somebody, for a change.

I Love Annie May posted:

That was the weirdest "eat-lunch-with-your-friend/love interest" scene I've ever read in a visual novel. Too bad it wasn't on a school rooftop.

I do wonder how much we're supposed to be reading into Komeada's dialogue here. Is it just Komeada being generally weird and creepy, or could he actually have a thing for Hinata?

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

orenronen posted:

You can't! The old lodge is under constwuction, and entwy is forbidden!

Howawa! You know about that, Hinata-kun?!

B...But... Nidai-kun and Souda-kun said their dear teacher Monomi was the only one they could twust...
And... Komaeda-kun certainly needs to do some soul-searching...
...I came here to bring him breakfast. If he dies of starvation, wouldn't someone be accused of murder?

S...Stawvation?! Howawawawa!

O...Of course! Tell him to chew his food properly, so he doesn't choke up!

That’s great and everything, but shouldn’t Monomi have already had this conversation with Koizumi? Don’t really see why the starvation angle is such a shock to her... Ah, whatever.

She also didn’t stop us on our failed attempt to free time Komaeda. I guess she’s not a very good guard.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious or taking the dev's bait, but I'm good on concluding Monomi not being controlled by anyone we've seen (barring a DR 1-like twist, somehow). Since everyone has known for a day (?) there isn't a reason to bring up the construction or be surprised the remaining students know Komaeda is tied up. Even if it were to keep appearances ("I say this to everyone who comes by :downs:"), the starvation line and her request at least make it seem like it's the first time someone's been here (as Fredule mentions)

Which, to me anyway, seems redundant of Monomi since the students know Komaeda is being fed, and are bringing him food.
(Apperently tying your "Fwiends" up is fine by dear teacher Monomi)

Votingedit: wow Souda is unpopular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bee
Apr 7, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Nagito stop it you're being even creepier than usual.

I can't wait for him to somehow win the free-time vote again.

Everyone's just going to vote for everyone but Komaeda to be a dick.

• Locked thread