Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
loving real tree seat covers. I hate Real Tree

Like the truck though, nice score!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah those are getting tossed. There are a few small things "wrong" but nothing out of the ordinary on a used 7.3L F-250: weak power steering pump (a flush should help if it bothers me), a vacuum leak in the control system for the front auto-locking hubs that needs tracing, the tailgate isn't lockable (this is the third tailgate on it), and the truck cap door is missing a seal and doesn't latch properly on one side (I'm likely not going to use it much at all).

But hey a price I couldn't refuse and I know my father got every maintenance done on time.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

So I checked out that 06 Jetta TDI with 123,000 miles. Pretty decent oil change records and the dealer's price was $8995 including a timing belt change. It's been on the lot for at least 2 months, likely closer to 3. The next step for me is to crunch some numbers on payment+fuel+insurance vs the f150 I have now and it's insurance.

Around what age/mileage should I expect to get the A/C serviced? And are the window regulators still hella lovely?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

compton rear end terry posted:

So I checked out that 06 Jetta TDI with 123,000 miles. Pretty decent oil change records and the dealer's price was $8995 including a timing belt change. It's been on the lot for at least 2 months, likely closer to 3. The next step for me is to crunch some numbers on payment+fuel+insurance vs the f150 I have now and it's insurance.

Around what age/mileage should I expect to get the A/C serviced? And are the window regulators still hella lovely?

I think the window regulator issues were fixed well before the 2001 models, but the AC should be good to go.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

nothing out of the ordinary on a used 7.3L F-250: weak power steering pump (a flush should help if it bothers me),

You need to replace it and also verify the brake booster isn't causing the problem. Don't screw around with the PS pump or it's maintenance on one of these (as it also operates the hydraulic brake booster). When it shits the bed even more your steering will lock up while you're on the brakes. It's scary as hell and I almost ended up in a ditch over it before I figured out I could steer if I let off the brakes.

Other than that: nice truck. You got the last of the good motor.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

You need to replace it and also verify the brake booster isn't causing the problem. Don't screw around with the PS pump or it's maintenance on one of these (as it also operates the hydraulic brake booster). When it shits the bed even more your steering will lock up while you're on the brakes. It's scary as hell and I almost ended up in a ditch over it before I figured out I could steer if I let off the brakes.

Other than that: nice truck. You got the last of the good motor.

That sounds like brilliant engineering.

Ok guys, how can we REALLY gently caress up this truck. I KNOW, IF THE STEERING FAILS, SO DO THE BRAKES!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

That sounds like brilliant engineering.

Ok guys, how can we REALLY gently caress up this truck. I KNOW, IF THE STEERING FAILS, SO DO THE BRAKES!

Yeah...cost cutting measures. It's pretty common to share one pump for both steering and hydroboost brakes on small diesel pickups. I'm not sure what is used on cars as I've never dealt with them much. But you gotta power the brakes somehow.....and with no vacuum to speak of you need to figure out something else.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Well I found out another system that doesn't work on the truck: the parking brake engagement switch or sensor. The pedal didn't release all the way (guess I didn't pull the handle good) and I had no idea.

Transmission temperature and slip sensor and limp mode works though! :suicide:

I am letting it cool off and hopefully the transmission is not permanently damaged. It runs full synthetic and was rebuilt for heavy towing... 115k miles ago.

Yeah not a great day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

It runs full synthetic and was rebuilt for heavy towing... 115k miles ago.

I doubt you'll have a problem. The rebuilds/upgrades on the 4R100s are formulaic at this point. It's well know what needs to be done/upgraded/changed so unless someone totally inexperienced did the job (and I doubt it would have lasted this long if that was the case) you ought to be good. They limp based on temp LONG before a rebuilt and upgraded unit is going to have serious problems.

You may want to check the condition of the fluid though. After that a partial change (drain and fill, not a flush) might be in order depending on what it looks/smells like.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Just out of curiosity, what engine is in the new-ish TDI that you get in the states. Over here when someone says he got a new Golf diesel it can be:

1) 1.6, 105 hp FWD.
2) 1.6 4Motion, 105 hp 4WD.
3) 2.0, 150 hp FWD.
4) 2.0 4Motion, 150 hp 4WD.
5) 2.0 GTD, 184 hp FWD.

Plus that the FWDs are available with manual or DSG. You can get DSG on the 4WDs if you buy a Passat, so I'm guessing they just want to minimize the possibility of the Golf canibalizing on Passat sales.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VW.com says it's a 140hp 2.0.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Motronic posted:

I doubt you'll have a problem. The rebuilds/upgrades on the 4R100s are formulaic at this point. It's well know what needs to be done/upgraded/changed so unless someone totally inexperienced did the job (and I doubt it would have lasted this long if that was the case) you ought to be good. They limp based on temp LONG before a rebuilt and upgraded unit is going to have serious problems.

You may want to check the condition of the fluid though. After that a partial change (drain and fill, not a flush) might be in order depending on what it looks/smells like.

I hope so. It depends on how quickly I noticed the flashing light. The fluid looks and smells ok to my eyes/nose:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Shifty Pony posted:

I hope so. It depends on how quickly I noticed the flashing light. The fluid looks and smells ok to my eyes/nose:

What about taste-test?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Looks good to me... But that's on the phone.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

No luck. About 200 miles of no blinking overdrive light, then I blipped a brief bit of hard acceleration up a hill to get out of a trucker's blind spot and let him over due to a police officer on the side of the road.

The transmission has had a rather hard life and there were concerns when I bought it so I don't think that it was solely responsible but it seems like that pushed 4th gear over the edge.

Edit: seems that speed is the triggering event. Cruising at 75+ causes it. Perhaps a bad bypass on the transmission cooler.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 5, 2013

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

590,000 miles :stare:

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
As I keep mentioning, there were two B4 Passats with more than 400,000 miles at the last tdiclub meet I went to. More than half a million is always a treat though. I wonder what's been replaced on that car... Those slightly newer engines (2004-2006) are known for the cams wearing out, especially when wrong/thin oil is used. The injection pump usually needs replacing at 300-400k. Who knows for the turbo and some other parts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That Golf looks immaculate for almost 600k.

It makes me want to keep my car forever but HPFP and GTD next year.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 6, 2013

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

angryrobots posted:

I know R12 is better, but I can't get it which means a trip to a mechanic for a marked up refrigerant that is expensive to start with. i don't like things I can't work on.

My E30 is R134a converted and worked great until the clutch started acting up; will probably work great again if I ever get around to shimming it.

Dude, r12 is cheaper than 134a anymore. No-one uses the poo poo anymore, so the remaining stock is basically unwanted and at worse, an environmentally hazardous waste that needs abatement. Check out your lical Craigs, you can buy cans $10 each all day long.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've been considering a new Jetta Sportwagon. The ol 240d still works great but I've put 50,000 on it and and it's a bit rough in places where it's never really going to get better without an undue infusion of cash and time. I'm interested in a vehicle that's a bit more "get in it and drive it" than the 240d. Not that the Mercedes has been unreliable, far from it, but at 31 years old there are things wearing out that had no expectation of having a maximum lifespan. It's also not that great at road trips and the a/c, while functional, is probably in need of a complete overhaul.

So that brings me to the TDI Sportwagon. I drove one the other day, an automatic 2013 model, and I liked it a lot except the transmission. This DPF thing worries me a bit, but I'm guessing it's ok and the minute it's not ok anymore I can find a DPF delete kit. I'm also a bit worried about VW reliability, which has a history of being not so great in the US. How about timing belts, is it a tough job?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

That Golf looks immaculate for almost 600k.

It makes me want to keep my car forever but HPFP and GTD next year.

Keep dreaming. VW hates the US, so we'll never get the GTD.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Dude, r12 is cheaper than 134a anymore.

R12 is liquid gold in these parts. You can get a 30lb cylinder of R12 for around $500 at cheapest vs around $150 for R134a. Also, waiting for 134a to be deemed "toxic" since the DuPont patent is about to run up a.k.a. the same thing that happened to R12 in the mid 90's. Oh, what's that? There's already a new DuPont patent on HFO-1234yf refrigerant because DuPont is now rumbling that R134a is now toxic? It's par for the course. DuPont, you so craaaaazy.. I can't wait for another 15 years to go by and then HFO-1234yf is going to be deemed toxic so DuPont can throw out another monopolizing vehicle refrigerant patent.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Dude, r12 is cheaper than 134a anymore. No-one uses the poo poo anymore, so the remaining stock is basically unwanted and at worse, an environmentally hazardous waste that needs abatement. Check out your lical Craigs, you can buy cans $10 each all day long.

Is this a troll?

If not, tell me exactly which Craigslist area I should be looking in because I have a nice new arbitrage business I'm going to set up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

trouser chili posted:

I've been considering a new Jetta Sportwagon. The ol 240d still works great but I've put 50,000 on it and and it's a bit rough in places where it's never really going to get better without an undue infusion of cash and time. I'm interested in a vehicle that's a bit more "get in it and drive it" than the 240d. Not that the Mercedes has been unreliable, far from it, but at 31 years old there are things wearing out that had no expectation of having a maximum lifespan. It's also not that great at road trips and the a/c, while functional, is probably in need of a complete overhaul.

So that brings me to the TDI Sportwagon. I drove one the other day, an automatic 2013 model, and I liked it a lot except the transmission. This DPF thing worries me a bit, but I'm guessing it's ok and the minute it's not ok anymore I can find a DPF delete kit. I'm also a bit worried about VW reliability, which has a history of being not so great in the US. How about timing belts, is it a tough job?

I just picked up a brand new 2013 sport wagon TDI last month with the DSG and navigation package and I really like it so far. Normally I wouldn't have considered the DSG over the 6 speed but I was thoroughly impressed by how well it drives.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Motronic posted:

Is this a troll?

If not, tell me exactly which Craigslist area I should be looking in because I have a nice new arbitrage business I'm going to set up.

Motronic posted:

Is this a troll?

No troll, that's what I bought it at last time, and I've got a dozen more cans coming at the same price.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My Dad has a '12 or '11 TDI Wagon with a six speed manual and it is a great daily car, and is amazing for road trips. It's one of the few things I would consider replacing my WRX wagon with, despite being FWD.

My complaints are that the suspension is too soft for my liking and the shifter is kind of vague, although that could probably be fixed with a bushing kit. Overall it's one of my favorite commuter cars I've driven. I probably put ~10k miles on his car and drove it just about every day for a year.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Wrar posted:

My Dad has a '12 or '11 TDI Wagon with a six speed manual and it is a great daily car, and is amazing for road trips. It's one of the few things I would consider replacing my WRX wagon with, despite being FWD.

My complaints are that the suspension is too soft for my liking and the shifter is kind of vague, although that could probably be fixed with a bushing kit. Overall it's one of my favorite commuter cars I've driven. I probably put ~10k miles on his car and drove it just about every day for a year.

The Golf is much better when it comes to suspension. It's a smidge higher and softer than a GTI without being soft and fat like the wagen.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

veedubfreak posted:

The Golf is much better when it comes to suspension. It's a smidge higher and softer than a GTI without being soft and fat like the wagen.

Hey I'm soft and fat like the wagen. Kinda funny to me cause coming from the 240d, the Sportwagen feels taught and almost sporty.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

trouser chili posted:

Hey I'm soft and fat like the wagen. Kinda funny to me cause coming from the 240d, the Sportwagen feels taught and almost sporty.

I really wanted to like the Wagen when I was looking. But the leatherette* seats just killed it for me. Plus it cost more than the Golf and would almost certainly have required replacing the springs/struts immediately. The golf is great, just wish it was a tad bigger. So far it's been the best car I've had.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Turns out that I didn't harm the transmission with the parking brakes. The friction material was so disintegrated from baking in that little mini drum that they were unable to engage even fully adjusted out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Keep dreaming. VW hates the US, so we'll never get the GTD.

A man can dream. Lot of talk recently so hoping for more than some Scirocco pipedream.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009

trouser chili posted:

No troll, that's what I bought it at last time, and I've got a dozen more cans coming at the same price.

Here in the PNW it's still $25/12oz at the cheapest on craig's. Maybe lowball sellers until they give it up cheap?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Alphius posted:

Here in the PNW it's still $25/12oz at the cheapest on craig's. Maybe lowball sellers until they give it up cheap?

Yeah I just checked my local Craig's and found the cheapest I can find is $20 a can. Although I did find a 30lb pig for $300, which works out to $16 for the equivalent 10oz can. I bet you could get it a bit cheaper as well. Anyway you go about it, the costs of R12 have really dropped and aren't really much higher than 134a anymore.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

All aboard the transmission rebuild train! I just bought a ticket for the "heavy duty converter and synthetic fluid" section for $3200. It wasn't like I was going to be using that money to do other fun stuff or anything.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Shifty Pony posted:

All aboard the transmission rebuild train! I just bought a ticket for the "heavy duty converter and synthetic fluid" section for $3200. It wasn't like I was going to be using that money to do other fun stuff or anything.

Three bills for a tranny?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That better be an installed price, from a reputable shop, and I still wouldn't pay it.

e: in your F250? That sucks :(

It's a RWD/4x4 vehicle, I'd drop the tranny, buy the rebuild kit, and learn how to do it myself at that price.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah that is fully installed by a mechanic that I trust who does them day in and out. I don't have the proper tools and shop access at the moment to do it myself.

Edit now that I'm not on my phone: As well I called around to a few other reputable shops and that seems to be the going rate for an upgraded 4R100 in this area. That is of course not counting the shops which basically told me it would be a month or so before they could even consider maybe thinking about doing it. Near-zero inflation my rear end...

This is happening at perhaps the second worst possible time (the worst being on the road driving back with the truck). If it had waited even a few months I would have had the time and tools to be able to do it myself in the garage.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 20, 2013

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Everything is done with it, I figured I would give a cost breakdown.

The rebuild was $1595 for parts and labor (and apparently every friction surface was rather beat up due to the torque converter making GBS threads itself into the ATF); new dual-clutch billet torque converter was $424; new 30k-lb plate cooler and associated fittings (forgot to mention I was having this put in) was $60; 17qts of Amsoil synthetic ATF was $213; hazmat was $140; diagnosis, removal, and install of everything was $745.

Total was $3120 out the door with a 3 year 36k mile warranty.

drat thing drives like an absolute dream now. No more iffy shifting and jerky acceleration. Also while installing the new cooler assembly they noticed one of the intercooler boots had worked its way loose and so boost was leaking considerably. Now the turbo sings and highway driving is much, much more responsive.

Most importantly I have the truck back in running ocndition to complete my move before my lease runs up on my old place.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Total was $3120 out the door with a 3 year 36k mile warranty.

Totally worth it on that truck, especially if it was done right. That should be a 100k mile rebuild even if you are towing with it. Probably more, and the rest of the truck should last at least twice that long if it's serviced regularly and not rusting away.

Those things still command a premium on the used market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Motronic posted:

Totally worth it on that truck, especially if it was done right. That should be a 100k mile rebuild even if you are towing with it. Probably more, and the rest of the truck should last at least twice that long if it's serviced regularly and not rusting away.

Those things still command a premium on the used market.

The previous rebuild (which I learned cost $2800 despite being in a cheaper area and being several years ago) lasted for 118k miles with many of that towing heavy equipment, often off road. Forestry is hell on torque converters.

The 7.3 is happy as a clam with fairly new injectors and such, and no oil burning. The truck has never seen salt, just lots and lots of mud and dirt.

click for giant:

There is a a bit of surface rust patina on the bed crossmembers but other than that everything looks pretty great for a 13 year old truck. Shocks need eventual replacement but I can do that myself no sweat.

• Locked thread