Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

boxcarhobo posted:

DOTA claims another poor soul ;-;

Yo PC announcement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yo PC announcement?

Takken Card Battle for PC! :v:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I started playing guilty gear again and am forcing a bunch of people in my scene to play it. Great game!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Brosnan, could you be a star and add the DOA thread to the OP?

Brosnan posted:

There have consistently been new characters in like every version of Tekken, so I am not really sure what this means. Also there is really nothing about throws that needs to be changed (they are already breakable on reaction if you're fast, and reasonably breakable on prediction if you're not; getting grabbed a lot means you're standing around too much). Agreed that the risk:reward of throwing out launchers needs to be tweaked back toward what it was before Tag 2, however.

Basically Tekken is already the best game.

Yeah, didn't word that correctly. What I meant to say was that some characters like Wang and Baek or other unpopular characters may be killed off in order to have space for new characters in T7 or future iterations of Tekken.

Also, I really didn't get used to throw breaking in T6 till the last few months before TTT2U was announced (yeah, people still played T6 by then, but not as many), so going from a 17-frame window to an 11-frame one just made it harder to react. I only started breaking throws by T6 and now whenever I to and break throws, it's already too late anyway. Yeah, I know I'm bitching, but it just didn't feel right to me. I'm just starting to break throws on a semi-regular basis and after a couple of games, I just feel burned out.

systran posted:

I started playing guilty gear again and am forcing a bunch of people in my scene to play it. Great game!

Same here in London. Most of us are really pushing for the game and practising all the time.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 5, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

systran posted:

I've been trying to get my local scene to play it, but it's pretty hard to fight through all the Marvel and 3S. At least we have people who I can play Chaos Code with. :toot:

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

S-Alpha posted:

I've been trying to get my local scene to play it, but it's pretty hard to fight through all the Marvel and 3S. At least we have people who I can play Chaos Code with. :toot:

In my local scene, we have one night of the week dedicated to AE and Marvel and another night where current Capcom games are banned. It's a really good system.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Fun posted:

In my local scene, we have one night of the week dedicated to AE and Marvel and another night where current Capcom games are banned. It's a really good system.

That sounds amazing and I wish our group could meet up more than once a week so we could implement that. Maybe if we did, I could have better luck getting them to play Melty :shepface:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

S-Alpha posted:

Is Chaos Code worth it on PSN? I've got a small Aquapazza/MB group going now, but a little variety couldn't hurt.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

S-Alpha posted:

Are you from Wales/Bristol by chance or is there another haven of 3S in america somewhere? Wish everyone was super gung ho about 3S here :(

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

brian posted:

Are you from Wales/Bristol by chance or is there another haven of 3S in america somewhere? Wish everyone was super gung ho about 3S here :(

I'm from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. And what we have isn't so much a 'scene' so much as it is a group of 10-20 people who meet up once a week in a small economy apartment crammed with TVs. And occasionally rent out a pool hall for tournaments once a month or so. The entire meetup yesterday always had at least one station with Chaos Code, KoFXIII (and KoFXII :v:) and 3S up and running.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Is Chaos Code worth it on PSN? I've got a small Aquapazza/MB group going now, but a little variety couldn't hurt.

I think it's fun, but I only play Japanese airdash games, so I'm pretty much the exact target audience. Also, I'm extremely jealous that you've got a group that plays Melty, though. :smith:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 5, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It's funny and silly and has a ton of personality. There's some pretty broken poo poo in there but it's still usually fairly fun despite. There's a new revision coming to arcades and supposedly sooner or later the home version will get patched to that, and will add netplay.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

S-Alpha posted:

I'm from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. And what we have isn't so much a 'scene' so much as it is a group of 10-20 people who meet up once a week in a small economy apartment crammed with TVs. And occasionally rent out a pool hall for tournaments once a month or so. The entire meetup yesterday always had at least one station with Chaos Code, KoFXIII (and KoFXII :v:) and 3S up and running.

Sounds like the best scene you could possibly ask for if you ignore the weird KOF12 thing. Anyway if you want to try and get people in GG just get them hyped up about the 3D one somehow so they want to get good before it comes out and/or play the real man's version before it gets babbified.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

S-Alpha posted:

I think it's fun, but I only play Japanese airdash games, so I'm pretty much the exact target audience. Also, I'm extremely jealous that you've got a group that plays Melty, though. :smith:

If it makes you feel better, it's mostly Aquapazza at the moment. Occasionally BB, GG or AH get mixed in but that's rare. We're in Charlotte, NC where there's a pretty large tournament community, but most of the anime players are elsewhere in the state.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Updated the thread links in the OP. Are there any other big games coming out or are we just crossing our fingers for E3?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Brosnan posted:

Updated the thread links in the OP. Are there any other big games coming out or are we just crossing our fingers for E3?

You should probably add Injustice to the games list. And I guess that new JoJo's game is coming out too.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
What I have been doing is just bringing a full setup and only running Guilty Gear on it. It helps that a few people are interested in getting good at it, but basically if there are four people waiting to play Marvel and no one is playing Guilty Gear, people will play it. We usually only met once a week but I am doing "Guilty Gear at my place at x time" on the facebook group. It's KIND OF lame to host a meetup and say ahead of time that it's only one game, but Marvel people have been doing that for a while in my scene.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Guilty Gear on a game console or a supergun set-up of some sort? I'd love to get some GG action going around here, but I don't know if the home version is verboten for god knows what reason.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I forget if Japanese release Slash or Accent Core was the version that had some messed up stuff in it but otherwise nothing comes to mind immediately. It's not like you'll find an Accent Core cab in America anyway, so just play the home version

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Console versions of GG are legit but have slightly different timing than the arcade versions. Naomi arcade versions had 2F lag, PS2 and 360 versions have 4F lag, PS3 version has 3F lag, so it seems. Nobody knows about ACPR but it's a pretty fair assumption it has 3-4F of lag so the PS3/360 versions will likely be spot on.

Aside from that, the Naomi versions had a lot more slowdown, especially noticeable with stuff like Dark Angel super.

So yeah the console versions are fine, don't worry about it.

Oh the Vita version of ACPR has at least one major bug with Testament's EXE Beast in it apparently but nobody really cares about that one.

Edit: Oh yeah, there is a major problem on ONE of the HD ports, I think it's the PS3 one, that if you unlock the bonus stages, the game can start locking up at random if you select them. I believe that's it anyway. It's not a serious issue, but, well, don't unlock the extra stages.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 6, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Is +R slated for console at a specific date or is it still "the future"? Because goddamn

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Is +R slated for console at a specific date or is it still "the future"? Because goddamn

Nope, delayed with no release date.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I had a SF4 epiphany the other day, while trying to go through Challenge mode.
Charge Supers, ie Charge db, df, db, uf, KKK, don't have to be done that way. The "Tiger Knee" way that I'm sure every single person in this thread already knew about but me, is the way to get them to come out every single time, pad or stick.
I guess what I'm saying is if you play SF4, force yourself to do Challenge mode, you will come out of it knowing the engine better and with cleaner execution.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Nope, delayed with no release date.

Weird. +R can't be making them that much money. Maybe the hold up is reverse engineering TTT2's netcode :laugh:

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Maybe the hold up is reverse engineering TTT2's netcode :laugh:

Better yet, issues with trying to integrate GGPO to replace their current netcode. I can always dream, right? :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quad posted:

I had a SF4 epiphany the other day, while trying to go through Challenge mode.
Charge Supers, ie Charge db, df, db, uf, KKK, don't have to be done that way. The "Tiger Knee" way that I'm sure every single person in this thread already knew about but me, is the way to get them to come out every single time, pad or stick.
I guess what I'm saying is if you play SF4, force yourself to do Challenge mode, you will come out of it knowing the engine better and with cleaner execution.

I never had a problem doing the full input, what is this shortcut?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

I never had a problem doing the full input, what is this shortcut?

You can end it in up-back instead of up-forward which makes it way easier. At least that's how I do it.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I do it like a SPD motion, roll from forward to up-back; it feels like the fastest way to input it when I try to do Dee Jay's dash to ultra.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I'm on a pad, too, a Madcatz Fightpad. I've come to the conclusion that those shortcuts were put in specifically FOR pad players, because without a dead zone on a stick, some poo poo just doesn't happen.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What is the best single player fighting game out? I'm looking for something with plenty of things to unlock, goals to reach, decent enough ai to make an arcade mode fun. I don't need anything extremely balanced or perfect just enjoyable for a poo poo player like me. I was thinking about UMvC3 since I enjoyed the first version and I know they added a few more sp modes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you're looking for tons of single player content then Blazblue or Persona 4 Arena are your best bets. I'd choose the later as it's actually an okay game, but Blazblue has a ridiculously long storlyine and other poo poo like score attack, Unlimited Mars (You basically fight Super versions of the characters), and Abyss which is basically fight until you reach the lowest level and you can upgrade for character stats and whatnot.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I bought Marvel Origins a lil while ago and finally played it tonight, and man it's just like I'm a kid again. Holy crap it's a good port. I can't remember how much money I spent playing it in the arcades back in the day. :3:

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Quad posted:

I'm on a pad, too, a Madcatz Fightpad. I've come to the conclusion that those shortcuts were put in specifically FOR pad players, because without a dead zone on a stick, some poo poo just doesn't happen.

The "shortcut" has been around since Super Turbo. You could always charge db, neutral, df~ub; even with controllers. So much easier.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Abyss which is basically fight until you reach the lowest level and you can upgrade for character stats and whatnot.

Honestly this kind of thing is something that fighting games in general should look to add for single player content. Just make an essentially endless mode like that and put in some skill trees for each fighter with stuff like Ryu's dp getting a fire effect or something at various points. It doesn't have to affect competitive play at all and people love grinding stuff like that out. Hell, add a separate online thing where people can take their level 99 Guiles and fight against other level 99 fighters with whatever crazy crap they put in the skill trees. Granted that is probably more work than fighting game developers want to put in, but if there's a separate competitive mode with none of that stuff available, who really cares whether rpg mode is balanced?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The way diagonal charge supers are coded, the game doesn't care if you input u, uf, or ub. It's just checking for any up direction. Whether this is to help players or due to lazy programming is anyone's guess.

The 360 motion is actually similar. The game gives no fucks about diagonals; it's just checking for the four cardinal directions (in sequence I assume, though if anyone's ever pretzeled out an SPD, please let me know).

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

What is the best single player fighting game out? I'm looking for something with plenty of things to unlock, goals to reach, decent enough ai to make an arcade mode fun. I don't need anything extremely balanced or perfect just enjoyable for a poo poo player like me. I was thinking about UMvC3 since I enjoyed the first version and I know they added a few more sp modes.

Between Story mode, STAR labs, and arcade, INJUSTICE: Gods Among Us might be a good call. It's a pretty fun game where superheroes and villains bash each other, and its got a decent fighting system to boot (though it is kinda weird in some areas, its not bad by any means)

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

MrJacobs posted:

Between Story mode, STAR labs, and arcade, INJUSTICE: Gods Among Us might be a good call. It's a pretty fun game where superheroes and villains bash each other, and its got a decent fighting system to boot (though it is kinda weird in some areas, its not bad by any means)

STAR Labs is unfun garbage that should never be suggested to a human, and half of it isn't even a fighting game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

sentrygun posted:

half of it isn't even a fighting game.

But that's the thing. Most casual players and reviewers absolutely love it when they play a fighting game and they get to play bits that aren't actually fighting. That's why Mortal Kombats 5-8 got decent reviews, that's why Mortal Kombat 9 got amazing reviews, that's why Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has "no content," and that's why Skullgirls' Story Mode "isn't satisfying enough." God of War's QTEs and Call of Duty's overabundance of scripted sequences basically are the standard nowadays, in that the majority of people* just want to see flashing lights and controlling a character is a hurdle to be jumped over on the way.

*Also keep in mind that only about 10% of people on average beat any given game they bought, and only 25% or so made it more than an hour in. I'm not being misanthropic with the previous paragraph. Most people just don't have the attention span to care about things, for the same reason they'll defend the plot of Transformers II by saying, "Chill out, don't think so hard about it."

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

inthesto posted:

The way diagonal charge supers are coded, the game doesn't care if you input u, uf, or ub. It's just checking for any up direction. Whether this is to help players or due to lazy programming is anyone's guess.

The 360 motion is actually similar. The game gives no fucks about diagonals; it's just checking for the four cardinal directions (in sequence I assume, though if anyone's ever pretzeled out an SPD, please let me know).
Sequence for 360s often don't matter. There's been plenty of games where forward, back, down, up+button will let you 360 without jumping.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Chaos Code is out now!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

zarron posted:

Chaos Code is out now!?

It's out in Asia and Japan. I think they plan to bring it to North America at some point, but I believe the currently existing version has English language text.

• Locked thread