Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

corkskroo posted:

Thanks guys. I don't know that we don't give a poo poo about AF, just that the benefit on the mkiii might be overkill. I think the additional ISO on the 6D and the wifi make it more attractive than the mkii, which isn't really cheaper than the 6D anyway. A lot of the pros for the mkiii that I listed don't really seem like things that matter to us too much, except the moire on 6D video, which is annoying.

If I were doing food photography at home/ in a "studio" I'd be way more worried about my lighting gear than the camera. ISO and AF (good or none) wouldn't matter to me. Good lighting makes good photos and when you have good lighting the camera doesn't really matter much. If that is indeed what you're doing, you'll get far better results investing in lighting and maybe a new lens or two.

On the other hand, I can't blame you for wanting to upgrade the Xt, that thing is ancient. I'd vote for 6d since a lot of the 5d3 features won't matter to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Hey, I was wondering how the Tamron 17-50 2.8 ranks against the Sigma 17-50 2.8. I am selling my T1i to buy a 7d, and have to include my kit lens, but I wanted to know which one I should upgrade to

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

While we're on the subject, would a 5D classic have better high ISO performance than a 600D? I was considering buying one as a full-frame stills camera, I don't really care that much for video.
The higher ISOs on the 600D are just garbage, I was out shooting some boxing last night with a 1.4 lens and had to bump the ISO up to 3200+, it looks awful.

Yes. The 5D is a lot better in low light than the 600D.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Haggins posted:

If I were doing food photography at home/ in a "studio" I'd be way more worried about my lighting gear than the camera. ISO and AF (good or none) wouldn't matter to me. Good lighting makes good photos and when you have good lighting the camera doesn't really matter much. If that is indeed what you're doing, you'll get far better results investing in lighting and maybe a new lens or two.

On the other hand, I can't blame you for wanting to upgrade the Xt, that thing is ancient. I'd vote for 6d since a lot of the 5d3 features won't matter to you.

We do natural light by a window that we've covered with tissue paper for a nice soft look and we have a bunch of bounce boards. We did buy a cheapo light kit at one point but like the natural light better. Right now we aren't loading up on lighting gear mostly because we will probably move ot a much smaller place some time in the nearish future and don't want the added bulk. We also do a fair amount of location shooting of food and the people who make it so I think starting with upgrading what we'd take in a backpack and eventually thinking about creating a more pro "studio" set up (space allowing) is the way to go.

Funny thing is, just today I was eating lunch at the bar in a place where we're known for my wife's pro food writing exploits and they were asking how I got into photography and if I had just invested in a really awesome camera after studying or just interest. Even the ol' XT looks like a drat pro camera to random people. (Then they comped my lunchtime cocktail, hooray local notoriety!)

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
So uh here's what it looks like when you're trying to shoot as your 5d mirror is falling out of place (on a shoot that HAS to happen that day):

I know I can fix this, but it's a good excuse to jump up to a 6d.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Haggins posted:

Yeah there's no real reason to take the 5D II/III over the 6D for food photography.

Hell only reasons I would take the 5D III over the 6D in any case would be photojournalism, video, or sports photography.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also if you're an autofocus lover. The AF on the 5DIII is godly.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

ShutteredIn posted:

So uh here's what it looks like when you're trying to shoot as your 5d mirror is falling out of place (on a shoot that HAS to happen that day):

I know I can fix this, but it's a good excuse to jump up to a 6d.

Happened to me during a Zombie Walk, I freaked out because until that point I hadn't heard of it being so common. A week later and it had been fixed for free by Canon, with a new, fantastical robust mirror support or something.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I'm planning on buying some filters for my 5D Mark II. I have 3 lenses:

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM - 77mm
EF 50mm f/1.2L USM - 72mm
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM -58mm

So I figured I could get a 77mm one and just buy some adapters for the other two sizes.
Is there any catches with this or brands I should avoid?

If it matters, I believe they're screw on filters. Also i'm mostly a hobbist, not a pro so it's slightly annoying to change that won't be a big deal for me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can't use hoods with a step up ring.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

evil_bunnY posted:

About that... Some prominent internet jerks are like "argleblargle gently caress hoods", because the coating on lenses is apparently so magical, that flares are impossible. What about it?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

I knew there'd be something. That shouldn't be a big deal, I don't often shoot with the sun in shot. Thanks dude!

Combat Pretzel posted:

About that... Some prominent internet jerks are like "argleblargle gently caress hoods", because the coating on lenses is apparently so magical, that flares are impossible. What about it?

I think this guy summed it up: http://digital-photography-school.com/why-you-should-use-your-lens-hood

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

the_lion posted:

I knew there'd be something. That shouldn't be a big deal, I don't often shoot with the sun in shot. Thanks dude!

Hoods don’t help when the sun is in the shot—they help when it’s out of the shot, but still close enough to hit the front element.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
After upgrading to the 6D, I intend to be a pain the rear end to myself and am going the prime only route for the time being. So I guess I'm not just being pretentious by keeping the hood on.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I mostly use my hood to protect the front element. The flair reduction is just a bonus.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Haggins posted:

I mostly use my hood to protect the front element. The flair reduction is just a bonus.

I use Gimp. I mean, sure Photoshop has a lot more features, but sometimes you don't need all those bells and whistles.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I regularly drop my car keys and stub my toes on my own furniture, a lens hood is "for my own good".

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

bisticles posted:

I use Gimp. I mean, sure Photoshop has a lot more features, but sometimes you don't need all those bells and whistles.

I find that all you need to craft a compelling image is hart, otherwise they are destined for the undertaker. But in the end, nobody is Mr. Perfect.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
If I ever need to remind myself that I need a hood to protect my lenses from bumps, I just need to look at how hosed up my hoods are.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

the_lion posted:

I'm planning on buying some filters for my 5D Mark II. I have 3 lenses:

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM - 77mm
EF 50mm f/1.2L USM - 72mm
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM -58mm

So I figured I could get a 77mm one and just buy some adapters for the other two sizes.
Is there any catches with this or brands I should avoid?

If it matters, I believe they're screw on filters. Also i'm mostly a hobbist, not a pro so it's slightly annoying to change that won't be a big deal for me.

Any idea what kind of filters you're looking to get? Is it just for protection, or are you looking to shape the image, like with a circular polarizer or colored filter?

Personally, I really like experimenting with filters. Yeah, with the flexibility you have in RAW editing, you can fake a lot of it in post, but if you come to like the effect of one particular filter, there's no reason to use that as a starting point before you start subtracting in post. For nature/landscape shots, the Hoya Intensifier really makes colors pop, especially with flowers and around autumn. The Tiffen 81C has also been helpful in balancing skin tones with outdoor shoots. With your 50mm f/1.2L, you might want to get a 3-stop ND filter so you can shoot wide open on bright days, but if you haven't run into a shutter speed limitation before, then it might not be an issue.

Like evil_bunnY said, you usually can't put on a lens hood over step-down adapters, which may be a deal-breaker if you're shooting in situations where flare from the side or unexpected bumps are an issue. All the filters I have are 77mm, and I use adapters, though if you thought a regular exposed front element was a dust/fingerprint magnet before, an oversized filter hanging off the front is much worse. Usually I'll get the shots I want and then switch back to a hood if I want to use a filter for a few shots.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It's really a pain to use filters and a hood at the same time anyway, especially a filter that needs constant adjustment like a polarizer. If you really need to, just use your hand as a flag in a pinch.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

It's really a pain to use filters and a hood at the same time anyway, especially a filter that needs constant adjustment like a polarizer. If you really need to, just use your hand as a flag in a pinch.
Yep. I'm usually shooting with a remote anyway if I'm using filters, so it's pretty easy to shade the camera.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

doctor 7 posted:

How is the image quality? I got the 70-200 non-IS 2.8. Things ways a ton but takes superb photos. Takes a while to focus but on my 60D it hasn't missed focus after it found it. On my Rebel it did a few times. Great image quality regardless.

I wound up snapping some random shots. No sharpening (or cropping because im lazy) in post.

IMG_7032

IMG_7061

IMG_7063

IMG_7088
Takes good cat pics too.

IMG_7110

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I hate step up rings because I am too lazy to keep switching poo poo out. I'm fumbling around enough with prime lenses that I don't need another thing to drop. I guess they'd be fine if you rarely switch lenses.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

saw a 100d in a store today, things pretty loving small. With a pancake it would kinda own.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Continuing from the earlier discussion on ISO performance of the 5d/6d versus older cameras: I had yet to venture much higher than 3200 ISO on the 6d so I tried the two highest settings just for fun tonight. Subject of course had to be a catte. No noise reduction/any other adjustments made with either pic. I was pretty impressed with the 51200. Had to manual focus for both because it was pretty much a completely dark room (had a light shining from an adjacent room). It is amazing how far cameras have come just in the past few years.

ISO 51200, f/5 , 1/125

20130605-IMG_4092 by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

ISO 102,400 f/4, 1/10

20130605-IMG_4102 by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Mightaswell posted:

I find that all you need to craft a compelling image is hart, otherwise they are destined for the undertaker. But in the end, nobody is Mr. Perfect.

Was this a sneaky 90s WWF reference?

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
If you're getting a filter just for protection, do yourself a favor and get a good one.

When I first got into photography a few years ago I picked up the cheapest possible UV filters ($6-10 range Tiffen, Vivitar, etc.) and ended removing them every time I shot because the flare was horrendous (thus defeating the purpose of having something to keep me from touching the front element on accident). I upgraded to using B+W MRC 010M filters and the difference is incredible. I picked this particular type after seeing that they did really well in some filter flare shootout some guy posted on his blog where he tested like 30 different filters in the same shots (can't currently find it on Google, unfortunately). I still remove them for certain kinds of high contrast shots, especially during night photography, but they stay on for pretty much anything I do during the day, and I've not seen any flare problems since.

I use hoods too, usually. I guess you could say that I like to double-bag it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhT05YQD4DM

Around 5:00 is when you can get a really good demonstration of the glare cutting capabilities of a good CPL filter.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Inf posted:

If you're getting a filter just for protection, do yourself a favor and get a good one.

When I first got into photography a few years ago I picked up the cheapest possible UV filters ($6-10 range Tiffen, Vivitar, etc.) and ended removing them every time I shot because the flare was horrendous (thus defeating the purpose of having something to keep me from touching the front element on accident). I upgraded to using B+W MRC 010M filters and the difference is incredible. I picked this particular type after seeing that they did really well in some filter flare shootout some guy posted on his blog where he tested like 30 different filters in the same shots (can't currently find it on Google, unfortunately). I still remove them for certain kinds of high contrast shots, especially during night photography, but they stay on for pretty much anything I do during the day, and I've not seen any flare problems since.

I use hoods too, usually. I guess you could say that I like to double-bag it.

I agree with this. I have a clear B+W 72mm MRC Nano Clear for my 35L and 50L and currently a heliopan 77mm filter. I have a B+W 77mm UV filter too that I haven't used / needed yet. Neither interfere with my photos and if anything I'd rather have a fingerprint or dust on the filter than on the lens.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Inf posted:

I still remove them for certain kinds of high contrast shots, especially during night photography

Can't you just raise the contrast in post?

Edit: I also have B+W 010 MRC UV filters on all of my lenses and always use my lens hoods. I use a Black Rapid strap so the camera is always dangling off my hip so the 360 degree protection provided by the hood + UV filter combo is really nice. It lets me walk around, explore, and shoot at will without worrying about anything in the environment damaging my lens.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 6, 2013

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

geeves posted:

I agree with this. I have a clear B+W 72mm MRC Nano Clear for my 35L and 50L and currently a heliopan 77mm filter. I have a B+W 77mm UV filter too that I haven't used / needed yet. Neither interfere with my photos and if anything I'd rather have a fingerprint or dust on the filter than on the lens.

Except in extreme environmental conditions, you're better off with hood only for protection. Desert, near the surf on the beach, shooting from moving vehicle in dusty conditions, rain (to complete the weather seal). The lens is not going to be hurt by dust or a fingerprint, and cleaning it is no harder than cleaning the filter.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

bisticles posted:

Any idea what kind of filters you're looking to get? Is it just for protection, or are you looking to shape the image, like with a circular polarizer or colored filter?

Personally, I really like experimenting with filters. Yeah, with the flexibility you have in RAW editing, you can fake a lot of it in post, but if you come to like the effect of one particular filter, there's no reason to use that as a starting point before you start subtracting in post. For nature/landscape shots, the Hoya Intensifier really makes colors pop, especially with flowers and around autumn. The Tiffen 81C has also been helpful in balancing skin tones with outdoor shoots. With your 50mm f/1.2L, you might want to get a 3-stop ND filter so you can shoot wide open on bright days, but if you haven't run into a shutter speed limitation before, then it might not be an issue.

Like evil_bunnY said, you usually can't put on a lens hood over step-down adapters, which may be a deal-breaker if you're shooting in situations where flare from the side or unexpected bumps are an issue. All the filters I have are 77mm, and I use adapters, though if you thought a regular exposed front element was a dust/fingerprint magnet before, an oversized filter hanging off the front is much worse. Usually I'll get the shots I want and then switch back to a hood if I want to use a filter for a few shots.

Haha, nah it's not for protection. That's a whole can of worms- some people like it, some people get very angry about it for some reason.

I just wanted to have a play around, maybe some polarisers or something like that Hoya Intensifier. Sure you can do stuff in post but sometimes I just want it "done" in camera.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So hey, glad that a lot of my questions about the 6D and 24-105mm f4 were answered on the previous page.

My question is: Would the 24-105 be a good lens for wedding photography? I figure I could run that and maybe keep my T2i with my 50mm 1.8 as backup?

What is the best route I should take here?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I've had some time with the T3i now, and it's a pretty good camera. I'm noticing a lot of noise once I get to 800 ISO, but I'm wondering how it compares to the T4i or T5i. Is there enough of a difference where it would be worth upgrading while I'm still able to do so, or is it all close enough that I shouldn't be so picky and I can take care of the noise through other means anyways? Being new to better cameras, I'm not sure what I should be expecting, but I'm enjoying it enough that I'm fine with throwing more money at it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

iSheep posted:

So hey, glad that a lot of my questions about the 6D and 24-105mm f4 were answered on the previous page.

My question is: Would the 24-105 be a good lens for wedding photography? I figure I could run that and maybe keep my T2i with my 50mm 1.8 as backup?

What is the best route I should take here?

Depends. Are you going to bring speedlights with you?

Every wedding I have been to except for one has been too dark for an f4 lens without flash. I suspect they'd be even too dark for f2.8 without flash. Bring your own light, if you can.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobfather posted:

Depends. Are you going to bring speedlights with you?

Every wedding I have been to except for one has been too dark for an f4 lens without flash. I suspect they'd be even too dark for f2.8 without flash. Bring your own light, if you can.

Yeah I am pretty sure I would plan to use a speedlight of some sort, I haven't really started looking into those because I'm still trying to finalize camera + lens. Gets overwhelming man.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

iSheep posted:

Yeah I am pretty sure I would plan to use a speedlight of some sort, I haven't really started looking into those because I'm still trying to finalize camera + lens. Gets overwhelming man.

The 24-70mm 2.8 is a nicer lens for sure, but I have the 24-105mm f4 myself and I shot a few wedding. They were mostly outside, inside I switched to 50mm.
There's 2 models of the 24-70, the newer one is small, less heavy and is weather sealed. According to wikipedia, it's a significant improvement on image quality.

If you had a flash, either lens would be fine inside I think unless it was a dungeon with no light.

If money is a real problem, look at reviews of the 3rd party 24-70s by Sigma or Tamron. I'm sure someone in the thread will have a bit more knowledge about those than I do. My guess is that they'll be cheaper, but the auto focus won't be as good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drunk Badger posted:

I've had some time with the T3i now, and it's a pretty good camera. I'm noticing a lot of noise once I get to 800 ISO, but I'm wondering how it compares to the T4i or T5i.

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same filter so there shouldn't be much improvement. I've a T3i too and yeah, the noise on higher ISOs is something I'm starting to really notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Can't you just raise the contrast in post?

Nah, the situations I'm talking about are long exposures at night where you have black sky and street lamps in the same shot, for instance. Even with a high end filter there will be SOME glare (it's impossible to remove it all), and it can create really sharp green ghosts of street lamps against the black sky. My current UV filters don't cause any perceptible decrease in contrast, it's just what little glare there is becomes obvious in shots where there are extremes of darkness and light.

The lenses themselves create glare too, obviously, but their inherent glare is quite different and less obnoxious since they usually result from reflections off of curved glass surfaces so they manifest in a more diffuse way. Glares off flat filters are the worst -- they're really sharp and defined. I've seen images of those stupid spiral CFLs in glare before, coils and all.