Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Hell yeah, I love learning poo poo, specially if the person educating me really knows their poo poo. I loving hate May and the green party but she did nothing wrong in her interview and she's 100% right about shrimp, stop eating that poo poo you idiots.

If she didn't explain in detail the reporter would have said something like "May told me not to eat shrimp but didn't back up why." and people would would going on about that instead.

\/\/ I don't know, ask Elizabeth May!

Wait, I can see why people would be neutral on the Greens but what have they done to make you hate them? I didn't know it was possible to hate the Greens and the Conservatives at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Wait, I can see why people would be neutral on the Greens but what have they done to make you hate them? I didn't know it was possible to hate the Greens and the Conservatives at the same time.

The only knock I've really heard against the greens is their support for fringe weirdo stuff like being afraid of wifi signals and supporting some junk science medicine like acupuncture and such.

Though last election I also seem to remember their fiscal policy actually being not too far off from the cons?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Squibbles posted:

The only knock I've really heard against the greens is their support for fringe weirdo stuff like being afraid of wifi signals and supporting some junk science medicine like acupuncture and such.

Though last election I also seem to remember their fiscal policy actually being not too far off from the cons?

Their nuclear power policy is also reactionary poo poo. I also recall their fiscal stuff to be neocon or bordering on neocon.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Scratching the surface of the Green Party leads to sadness.

Oh well, guess I'm voting straight Leninist next election again.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I voted communist here once, but I knew the guy. Besides, everyone knew the NDP candidate was going to win, so why not?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Imagine the hubbub if Canadians elected just one member of Marxist-Leninist or the Communist Party. Harper could win a 99% majority and Toronto Sun would still put on the cover, "CANADA GOES COMMUNIST". I'm sure Fox News would alert everyone that the Red have now taken Canada and we must no longer negotiate with communist scum up north.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So you're saying we should conspire to elect a single Communist to Parliament so the Americans will kill Keystone forever? This is a good plan, who's our Marxchurian candidate?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Imagine the hubbub if Canadians elected just one member of Marxist-Leninist or the Communist Party. Harper could win a 99% majority and Toronto Sun would still put on the cover, "CANADA GOES COMMUNIST". I'm sure Fox News would alert everyone that the Red have now taken Canada and we must no longer negotiate with communist scum up north.

How about one of each? Doube commie flavour
:getin:

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Their nuclear power policy is also reactionary poo poo. I also recall their fiscal stuff to be neocon or bordering on neocon.

They want to stop permitting and phase out currently-producing uranium mines in Canada (which is 20% of the world's uranium production), which is responsible for 15,000 jobs in Saskatchewan alone, and they also completely oppose the export of any fissionable material including thorium. Their policy on the energy industry is literally 1.21 Energy Industry: No to Nuclear.

The Green Party also believes in promoting homeopathy and naturopathy as "complimentary health care" choices.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Majuju posted:

They want to stop permitting and phase out currently-producing uranium mines in Canada (which is 20% of the world's uranium production), which is responsible for 15,000 jobs in Saskatchewan alone, and they also completely oppose the export of any fissionable material including thorium. Their policy on the energy industry is literally 1.21 Energy Industry: No to Nuclear.

The Green Party also believes in promoting homeopathy and naturopathy as "complimentary health care" choices.

As someone who had radiation therapy, they can go gently caress themselves. Taking ginger and avacado pits wouldn't do poo poo to my cancer.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Holy poo poo. Christy Clark chose my riding (Westside-Kelowna) to run in a by-election in. It wasn't particularly close, the Liberal beat the New Democrat 13k to 7k, but damned if I won't see if we can do something to change that.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Majuju posted:

Christ, really?

I knew about the nuclear stuff, but I sort of figured, "hey they'll moderate if they ever actually come close to being a mainstream party". They're hardly the only environmental group to fear nuclear. But I've never met someone who promoted homeopathy that had any concrete grasp of environmental science or actual environmental issues.

Stop depressing me goons. :sigh:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Crack cocaine also is a complimentary health care choice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Christ, really?

I knew about the nuclear stuff, but I sort of figured, "hey they'll moderate if they ever actually come close to being a mainstream party". They're hardly the only environmental group to fear nuclear. But I've never met someone who promoted homeopathy that had any concrete grasp of environmental science or actual environmental issues.

Stop depressing me goons. :sigh:

Exactly. I hate them both because the Conservatives are gigantic assholes, and the Green can be outright loons at times.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The Greens are truly awful, all they're doing is bringing down the left with them. Hell, more people have been killed through homeopathy than nuclear energy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bunnyofdoom posted:

How about one of each? Doube commie flavour
:getin:

SPLITTER!!

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Exactly. I hate them both because the Conservatives are gigantic assholes, and the Green can be outright loons at times.

That seems a little harsh. Team Theology (Conservative supporter/staffer for one of the senators?) has been posting reasonably well here. I actually look forward to see what he has to say sometime which breaks up the echo chamber here.

I haven't seem a lot of Green Party supporters/staffers here though.

Moore and Kenney are probably going to replace Harper for 2015 but I dunno if it will hurt the Cons in the east since they're both from the west.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

quaint bucket posted:

That seems a little harsh. Team Theology (Conservative supporter/staffer for one of the senators?) has been posting reasonably well here. I actually look forward to see what he has to say sometime which breaks up the echo chamber here.

Moore and Kenney are probably going to replace Harper for 2015 but I dunno if it will hurt the Cons in the east since they're both from the west.

True. He is a gentleman. However, I meant it more as the government. Doing things like exlcuding Marc Garneau from the Canadarm exhibit opening, muzzling scientists, and a whole host of other incidents leads me to apply to that label to them.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Regarding hatred towards the Greens, There's also the more cynical view that the Green party is bad because it puts another split in the already divided left wing and helps the Conservatives.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bunnyofdoom posted:

True. He is a gentleman. However, I meant it more as the government. Doing things like exlcuding Marc Garneau from the Canadarm exhibit opening, muzzling scientists, and a whole host of other incidents leads me to apply to that label to them.

Yeah, when someone says "Conservatives are assholes" the capital C tends to mean the Party. Might be something that gets missed sometimes.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Quite frankly, I think excluding Marc Garneau was not a big deal and distract from more serious problems.

I don't know much about the scientists being muzzled but I can't help but feel that's common practice for most business? Provide articles for me and I can do some personal research.

I'm happy they got rid of the LGR but I'm not happy that there hasn't been any realistic movement on the firearm act. I would have been happy with at least abolishing the ATT (ineffective red tape) or clarifying the Safe Storage but right now they're just teasing/reading the population with "leaked secret memos."

E: I took C as in describing Team
Theology as part of the government as a staffer (from my understanding) as much as bunnydoom is Liberal due to being staffer as well. Is this inaccurate?

V thank you! I have some reading to do! V

quaint bucket fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 5, 2013

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

quaint bucket posted:

I don't know much about the scientists being muzzled but I can't help but feel that's common practice for most business? Provide articles for me and I can do some personal research.

I don't know how much it happens with other governments but there's certainly been a narrative in the last year or two about scientists not being allowed to talk to the media.

An article about it here:
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/2012/02/26/is_the_conservative_government_muzzling_federal_scientists.html

Another article about a US scientist who was apparently asked to sign an agreement that prevented him from talking to the media because he was doing some joint research with some federally funded Canadian scientists:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/02/15/science-audio-munchow-scientist-muzzling.html

International science journal Nature has criticized the CPC for muzzling scientists (I believe Nature may have brought it up more than once now too):
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/03/02/nature-science-canada.html

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yeah, when someone says "Conservatives are assholes" the capital C tends to mean the Party. Might be something that gets missed sometimes.

Supporting and defending an awful party, largely consisting of awful people, tends to cast aspersions on your moral fiber!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quaint bucket posted:

It's common practice for business (which includes highly, HIGHLY unethical uses of non-disclosure agreements, like funding twenty studies and then using the one that, by random 'this is accurate within 97%, 19 times out of 20' mathematical chance, supports your new product while shredding the results of the other nineteen), but government is not a business. Government funded science on matters of public interest (like Canada's environment) shouldn't be hushed up if it doesn't support the government's favourite things.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

LP97S posted:

Hell, more people have been killed through homeopathy than nuclear energy.
poo poo D&D says

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LP97S posted:

The Greens are truly awful, all they're doing is bringing down the left with them. Hell, more people have been killed through homeopathy than nuclear energy.

My favorite personal anecdote regarding homeopathy is the time a woman ran into the pharmacy where I worked, right near closing time, desperately seeking her sleeping pills. She was all jittery and panicked looking when I told her they had to be locked up for the night since they can't be sold when a pharmacist isn't on duty. She said she meant the different ones, the Calm-Forte, those don't need to be locked up. I showed her where they were, and she grabbed all two dozen boxes of homeopathic sleeping pills that she was apparently addicted to and ran off to pay for them.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quaint bucket posted:

I don't know much about the scientists being muzzled but I can't help but feel that's common practice for most business?

It is to a point, however the federal government isn't a business and should have no trade secrets or proprietary research that needs to be guarded. In fact, if they are doing research and not publishing it for public (corporate) consumption, then you should be probably be asking why they are bothering.

* Hopefully, no one in government notices that they could save a lot of money on all this muzzled research they aren't using anyways.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Funkdreamer posted:

poo poo D&D says
Thanks for the one liner poo poo and run, Funkdreamer.

edit: just so we're clear, we're talking about homeopaths, a group of people who sometimes advise against immunization.

Here's Mulcair getting good press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RZnrYIqLSoA

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What did Mulcair do in QP today that was so great? A couple people in here were really stoked about it but I can't follow QP from my job so I rely on you guys for post-facto video clips.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

quaint bucket posted:

This report from Democracy Watch seems relevant.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

That was a dick move. But I would chalk it up as much to a political slight as I would literally no one thinking "Hey, maybe Canadian space dude should be at the Canadian space event". I mean definitely a few people were being assholes, but I can assure you a person or two in the room when the decision was made just didn't think of it at the time. Which is both sad, and ridiculous.

quaint bucket posted:

Senator, man if only I worked in an office with so little power and such a huge budget. Then I could play games all day! For the record, staffers aren't usually in agreement with their bosses (MP, Minister, Senator or otherwise) over everything. We just do our jobs as our bosses would like them done to the best of our ability (if we are good at our job).

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Funkdreamer posted:

poo poo D&D says

Good argument, bro.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

On the point of business suppressing information: true, they do so for the purpose of running multiple research until they get the answer they seek; however, don't they also do it to protect intellectual property? My understanding is that the work of the scientists/researchers are effectively the property of the business corporate but I will concede that the government is not a business.

After reading the articles, editorial, and the DemocracyWatch document, I can understand the reason for the Media Relations department with the goal of "one department, one voice" and the purpose of controlling the messages in order to protect the government's interest (multiple industries, including fishery).

It's a fairly reasonable fear that a research could harm an industry and thus affect the economy as a result; however, it's pretty clear the Media Relations department is ineffectual and adds unnecessary red tape.

I don't believe they're actively muzzling the scientists but it is definitely hindering their ability to discuss their findings in an active discussion/debate with their peers through the appropriate media outlet due to the strict deadlines that reporters have to deal with.

It's red tapes and ineffectual policies that's slowing down the scientists beyond the timeline of an news article lifespan, thus unintentionally "muzzling" them.

Definitely get rid of the MR department or at least streamline them for more prompt response. Not a popular assessment, I think?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
I don't think being cautiously anti-nuclear power is inherently whacked-out, but from the sounds of it the Canadian Greens seem to have a whole lot more whackaloonery going on than just the nuclear stuff. The Australian Greens at this point are more like the NDP with an environmental agenda, we won't touch stuff like homeopathy or anti-vax with a ten-foot pole, and it doesn't sound like the CG have any good measures in place to dilute the more cracked-out of their constituency.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The more I get involved in politics, the more angry I get, it's not a good cycle.

I moved from being pretty unengaged, then went through the 'we are all on the same side, it's all a bit of a game' period and now honestly think that most of the people heavily involved with the modern conservative party are either evil, stupid or both.

(No offense TT)

Also, I'm really glad I'm out of Ottawa, 4 years was too long.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

What a great little shrug. Mulcair seems like a fun guy.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

quaint bucket posted:

I don't believe they're actively muzzling the scientists but it is definitely hindering their ability to discuss their findings in an active discussion/debate with their peers through the appropriate media outlet due to the strict deadlines that reporters have to deal with.
I'd say this is a valid interpretation provided the creation and implementation of the media relations thing had happened without all the other things that have been done to limit, or eliminate, science and general knowledge. As is with all sorts of other stuff going on it seems to me that the most expedient answer is that the muzzling effect is a desired outcome, not an accidental result.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Team THEOLOGY posted:

That was a dick move. But I would chalk it up as much to a political slight as I would literally no one thinking "Hey, maybe Canadian space dude should be at the Canadian space event". I mean definitely a few people were being assholes, but I can assure you a person or two in the room when the decision was made just didn't think of it at the time. Which is both sad, and ridiculous.
Fair point, but I bet I could pull out a lot of small petty things that drives the idea that it was a slight, if I spend some time doing research.

"Team Theology" posted:

Senator, man if only I worked in an office with so little power and such a huge budget. Then I could play games all day! For the record, staffers aren't usually in agreement with their bosses (MP, Minister, Senator or otherwise) over everything. We just do our jobs as our bosses would like them done to the best of our ability (if we are good at our job).

Man, I wish I still worked in the senate. I really liked my little office there. And, as my posts in the thread show, I clearly am not on board with Liberal stuff all the time either. But that doesn't mean I don't bust my rear end off, nor that I slack off.

That being said, sorry for any offense TT. I was not intending to insult you at all, but rather the party itself, especially with regards to some of it's policies I find highly objectionable.

quaint bucket posted:

I'm happy they got rid of the LGR but I'm not happy that there hasn't been any realistic movement on the firearm act. I would have been happy with at least abolishing the ATT (ineffective red tape) or clarifying the Safe Storage but right now they're just teasing/reading the population with "leaked secret memos."
Um, where did I even mention the LGR in my post? Why are you jumping to this one issue that I never mentioned?

quote:

E: I took C as in describing Team
Theology as part of the government as a staffer (from my understanding) as much as bunnydoom is Liberal due to being staffer as well. Is this inaccurate?

Not quite. I did mean the party, as in more of the movers and shakers. Since my original quote was based off us critique the Greens for their policies, I felt it would be construed as me saying Conservative policies were gigantically assholish. Like I said, I have no problems with TT at all,, he is a gentleman. Furthurmore, staffers do tend to disagree with the party they do belong to, because we're human, we are allowed our own opinions. However, we work for the parties we do because our values for the most part match our parties.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Alctel posted:

The more I get involved in politics, the more angry I get, it's not a good cycle.

I moved from being pretty unengaged, then went through the 'we are all on the same side, it's all a bit of a game' period and now honestly think that most of the people heavily involved with the modern conservative party are either evil, stupid or both.

(No offense TT)

Also, I'm really glad I'm out of Ottawa, 4 years was too long.

Let me begin by saying I have been in Ottawa my whole life save for schooling. It definitely could knock that attitude into someone.

Also Bunny as usual I know you are a gentleman you would have to be pretty flippant about being a jackass for me to take any offence.

(Now for content)

That seems like one of those comments where you go "all Asians are evil but no offence Asians". Not going into the fundamentals I just think a lot of politics is a debate between people and what they think the role of the government should be versus the role of the individual. Also my family has almost always been in small business and politics is generally (aside from the occasional champagne socialist) about people wanting to get the best for themselves.

Anyway it's all good you are more than welcome to disagree with me, the party or what have you. But I think I could say the same about anything rhetorical the NDP has said about raising taxes which (and I know this for a fact because I know what my families margins are) would bankrupt our small business and put our employees out of work.

Again, this is just a minutiae example and I don't really want to get into my personal reasons for being a Conservative and very individualistic-"ally" driven versus communally but I think you guys get the point. Everyone comes with ideas and ideals which they think are right, I don't think my ideas are right for everyone but they are for me and mine and really that's what most people (whether they think it or not) are fighting for in a democracy.

Sure I'm Conservative, but I'm no fool and I don't think myself evil. I just think most people (even those that don't think it) walk a pretty self serving path - even when they don't mean to. That being said I have first had experienced wages going up and us having to let go great staff because we couldn't afford them because people still didn't want to pay more for goods. Certainly in retail and the like, from my observations.

All that to say we all have different views and feel we can justify them. To call someone out on being hateful or stupid is distasteful to me.

PS: I love all you guys. Politics are politics and disagreements are what they are but I bear no ill will to those who disagree. Hell, if (read: when) we lose government I won't be mad at anyone, or the NDP, or the Libs (Bunny, see I remembered!). It will be our fault and I get that. But to think anyone in this 'Game of Seats' is innocent or without there blemishes is foolish and to decry someone for their political views without fully understanding why or where they come from is foolish at best and ignorant at worst.

Team THEOLOGY fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Um, where did I even mention the LGR in my post? Why are you jumping to this one issue that I never mentioned?

Personal thought.

• Locked thread