Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Since you've guys convinced me to get AC when it comes out, I have an SD card question. I got the one that came with the XL in there with Harvest Moon save data. If I got a new bigger one tomorrow, would I just need to copy the files from the old to the new SD card to ensure my save data is intact? Does it need to be a specific kind of SD card at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I picked up both Zelda: Oracle games in the 3DS VC shop since they were on sale (and I never beat either of them when I was a kid), and I was just wondering: Will I still be able to "link" my saves between the two, once I beat one and start the other?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

surf rock posted:

I picked up both Zelda: Oracle games in the 3DS VC shop since they were on sale (and I never beat either of them when I was a kid), and I was just wondering: Will I still be able to "link" my saves between the two, once I beat one and start the other?

Yes, just make sure you have a pen and piece of paper handy for later to write down the passwords.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

GRINK HELCH posted:

So does this mean I cannot play AC on my new 3DS XL, because if it does, then I think the transfer isn't really worth it because I only have pushmo on it.

No, it shouldn't wipe any games that are on the target system, I don't think.

Nintendo want people to upgrade to an XL, I don't think they would make it like that. Feel free to shoot them an email, but I don't see it working how you're afraid it will.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What's the email address I should use to contact Nintendo with? I wanna try and see if they'll add Soul Hackers to my Club Nintendo account because the retail copy didn't come with a code.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yes, just make sure you have a pen and piece of paper handy for later to write down the passwords.

Or just press Home and head over to Game Notes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ChaosArgate posted:

What's the email address I should use to contact Nintendo with? I wanna try and see if they'll add Soul Hackers to my Club Nintendo account because the retail copy didn't come with a code.

The retail copy doesn't come with a code. I e-mail them about the same issue and only the digital version has a code.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ChaosArgate posted:

That's how it rolls, unfortunately. Third party games don't get codes unless you download them from the shop.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Rirse posted:

The retail copy doesn't come with a code. I e-mail them about the same issue and only the digital version has a code.

That is strangely obtuse. Dammit. :argh: Oh well, hopefully there'll be a code for SMTIV. Thanks anyway.

Artix posted:

That's how it rolls, unfortunately. Third party games don't get codes unless you download them from the shop.

Not true; I got a code for VLR and that's definitely third party.

Edit: On second thought, VLR doesn't have a digital version so there goes that theory.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 7, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So far each of the Atlus games I bought retail didnt have any codes. Heck, EO4 didnt even have instructions.

Artix posted:

I have tons of 3rd party games, and Atlus are the only ones without codes.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!

Soul Glo posted:

No, it shouldn't wipe any games that are on the target system, I don't think.

Nintendo want people to upgrade to an XL, I don't think they would make it like that. Feel free to shoot them an email, but I don't see it working how you're afraid it will.

Cool thanks

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

ChaosArgate posted:

Go here then click on the appropriate one you want to email and fill out the webform

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

GRINK HELCH posted:

Cool thanks

Honestly, I would email Nintendo if I were you. I don't want you deleting Animal Crossing on my account.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

So far each of the Atlus games I bought retail didnt have any codes. Heck, EO4 didnt even have instructions.

That's a good situation you bring up. Did anyone here purchase the physical copy of Soul Hackers and can confirm whether it had an actual instructions manual?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wark Say posted:

That's a good situation you bring up. Did anyone here purchase the physical copy of Soul Hackers and can confirm whether it had an actual instructions manual?

Don't all 3ds games come with a digital manual?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Nope, just a paper folded into 4 squares with the type chart in one of the segments.

E: I only got physical because of a sale for :10bux: off or else it would have been digital. Most games I get now have almost zero purpose for being pysical.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dehry posted:

Most games I get now have almost zero purpose for being pysical.

Feel good knowing you can sell them or loan them to a friend should you ever wish to or continue to use them if you somehow go through 5 systems.

These new folded up one page manuals suck balls though. I used to love looking through a huge final fantasy manual and these digital things don't feel remotely the same. Works better for digital downloads obviously but my nostalgia is suffering here nintendo!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

My sister's downloading the digital Animal Crossing as soon as it releases but is probably also going to buy the bundle just for the limited edish XL. Is there anything she needs to do differently to preserve her town or will the system transfer cover all her bases? I'm pretty sure the answer is the latter but it can't hurt to confirm.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

My sister's downloading the digital Animal Crossing as soon as it releases but is probably also going to buy the bundle just for the limited edish XL. Is there anything she needs to do differently to preserve her town or will the system transfer cover all her bases? I'm pretty sure the answer is the latter but it can't hurt to confirm.

As long as she starts with the digital version and not a cartridge, her save should transfer just fine with a system transfer.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

System transfer will erase the copy of animal crossing on the XL (well, more combine the license.) Transfer the AC eshop account on the XL to another unit before doing a system transfer.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 7, 2013

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
So I recently purchased a 3DS XL for Link to the Past 2 and Pokemon X down the line. I got Fire Emblem (amazing) and Kingdom Hearts (unimpressed) with it, then later Mario 3D Land (haven't tried it yet) and Ocarina of Time (amazing) fell into my lap. Are there any other must-plays for now? And since I missed the entire DS era, what are some games I should get for that side of things? The Mario & Luigi discussion made me go look into Bowser's Inside Story and that looks super-fun, so I think I'll grab that. Probably going to trade in Kingdom Hearts for it.

I like RPGs, puzzle games, and platformers.

Also, are there any games (DS or 3DS) notable for using the touchscreen in really creative ways? I notice that the games I own now have me barely using it at all, and if there's some killer app that defines why the DS is such a great idea I'd love to try it. Especially if it's fairly old and therefore cheap!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I just asked for DS recommendations yesterday so scroll back a page or two for some of those.

If you like puzzle games you really should get pushmo and/or crashmo from the eshop. Donkey Kong Country Returns just came out if you like that sort of platforming.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 7, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Also, are there any games (DS or 3DS) notable for using the touchscreen in really creative ways? I notice that the games I own now have me barely using it at all, and if there's some killer app that defines why the DS is such a great idea I'd love to try it. Especially if it's fairly old and therefore cheap!

Meteos, Elite Beat Agents, Professor Layton, Tank Beat, Rocket Slime. All of those games either use the touchscreen in good ways, use two screens in good ways, or both.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kirby Canvas Curse (sorta-platformer, draw lines to navigate ball-Kirby through the stages)

Kirby Mass Attack (sidescrolling action game, fling the lil' Kirbys around and gang-bash defenceless creatures)

Soul Bubbles (physics-based collectathon game, trap shiny objects in bubbles and blow them around the stages? kinda hard to summarise)

Ivy the Kiwi? (sorta-platformer, draw/manipulate elastic vines to guide the kiwi around the stages - there's a DSiWare version as well as a retail version)

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (action game controlled almost entirely with the stylus, works a lot better than you might imagine)

Trauma Center (arcadey surgeon simulators - there are two of 'em, both are good)

Then there's stuff that's more divisive, like the DS Zelda games, Star Fox Command, shooters like Metroid Prime Hunters and Kid Icarus Uprising, etc

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kirby Canvas Curse (sorta-platformer, draw lines to navigate ball-Kirby through the stages)

Ivy the Kiwi? (sorta-platformer, draw/manipulate elastic vines to guide
Canvas Curse is the best touch screen game. Ivy is fine if you want a similar concept that's more puzzlish.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Prospective buyer question, looking for a little input really.

I am a PC gamer and always have been, but since my new job (PC heavy) I am finding myself not wanting to sit on a PC in my spare time now, I literally hate it almost :( . I love the pokemon games and am on the verge of getting an XL, pokemon black and the charger (the box has NO charging features right?!).

Part of me wonders if handheld gaming will satisfy my gaming needs? I know for sure Pokemon will as that game has a rock solid formula.

I know in my heart I will go out and get one tomorrow regardless, but just interested to hear from other pc gaming heavy goons if the ds has a place in your heart, or if its just a flash in the pan. The idea of not being glued to a PC desk is very appealing right now, and also 200 hours on pokemon grinding!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

simosimo posted:

I am a PC gamer and always have been, but since my new job (PC heavy) I am finding myself not wanting to sit on a PC in my spare time now, I literally hate it almost :( . I love the pokemon games and am on the verge of getting an XL, pokemon black and the charger (the box has NO charging features right?!).

Part of me wonders if handheld gaming will satisfy my gaming needs? I know for sure Pokemon will as that game has a rock solid formula.

I know in my heart I will go out and get one tomorrow regardless, but just interested to hear from other pc gaming heavy goons if the ds has a place in your heart, or if its just a flash in the pan. The idea of not being glued to a PC desk is very appealing right now, and also 200 hours on pokemon grinding!

There are plenty of games in the 3DS and DS library that average 40-60 hours of gameplay. Nintendo handhelds are definitely not "a flash in the pan." There are a bunch of games that will keep you busy for at least a year in every genre, and I'm sure someone with a better memory than me will answer any specific questions about this with a list 20+ entries long.
Though there aren't as many multiplayer games that get a lot of play nowadays besides Pokemon and Mario Kart so if you were looking for something worth committing 100s of hours into, your options are pretty limited.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 7, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

simosimo posted:

There's nothing like the 3DS. The only thing it compares to is previous Nintendo handhelds. The popular games are usually unique and not similar to anything you'd get elsewhere. The 3DS/DS has a really good mix of "mobile" casual pick up and play games and tons of deep games you can sink hours into. There's a good chance you could use your 3DS for years and never have to play something that feels like a port or rehash of what you see on the pc/consoles. I used to be heavy into PC gaming and now I hate it and only play a few random games on a computer per year so I can relate to what you're looking for. There's nothing like chilling on a comfy couch and sinking hours into Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Castlevania, Mario, whatever else you like.

^too many words for yes buy it, it's an awesome console.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

It's pretty visual novel-y, but Hotel Dusk has got some interesting puzzles. Its sequel Last Window probably does too, though I've never played it since it wasn't released in NA.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I really liked Soul Bubbles on the DS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkdZ5TtO2U
It's kind of a puzzle platformer, but not really. It's just a well made chill game.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
EDIT: Oh wait, the US 3DS XLs come with chargers... I think?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

It's pretty visual novel-y, but Hotel Dusk has got some interesting puzzles. Its sequel Last Window probably does too, though I've never played it since it wasn't released in NA.

It does. Last Window is pretty much more of the same (in a good way) and well worth importing.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Window-Secret-Import-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003Y73B2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370592629&sr=8-1&keywords=last+window+ds

I payed 50 bucks for mine!

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

saihate posted:

EDIT: Oh wait, the US 3DS XLs come with chargers... I think?

Yes.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Think I'm gonna grab Professor Layton and Kirby Canvas Curse tomorrow. Is there any reason not to get the newest Layton? Should I start from the beginning? I want to stick to my sweet, sweet 3D wide screen if I can.

Edit: vvvvvv I don't have a clue why chargers aren't included elsewhere in the world, particularly since it's a proprietary charger* one is extremely unlikely to own as opposed to, say, a Kindle not coming with a charger, but the XLs do include a charger in North America.

(*who am I kidding - this is why.)

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 7, 2013

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Also thanks, couch gaming is the way forward. Bit of a cheap move not to include a charger though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Think I'm gonna grab Professor Layton and Kirby Canvas Curse tomorrow. Is there any reason not to get the newest Layton? Should I start from the beginning? I want to stick to my sweet, sweet 3D wide screen if I can.
I would say that a reason to start at the beginning is that you get more sweet, sweet puzzle action. Story-wise, you're not going to miss much if you just pick up the latest game. None of them are really connected, as far as I know (although I haven't played past the 2nd game).

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Nintendo is doing a promotion in Australia where you can get a free game when you register a 3DS Club Nintendo code on your account between 20th June and the 31st July.

http://www.nintendo.com.au/great-games-promo/

It seems that it is only available at "participating retailers" and you need to send them a picture of your receipt.

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

"Yoshi Touch and Go", "Metroid Prime Hunters" and the two "Mario vs. Donkey Kong" games do the best job justifying the stylus to me. Don't know why they never get mentioned. Yoshi Touch and Go was derided at the time for being "too short", a sure sign of a future forgotten classic. Metroid Prime Hunters pissed of the Metroid purists by not being Metroidy enough and annoyed everyone else by being complex and challenging and not suitable for use on mass transit. The Mario vs. Donkey Kong games apparently require too many different kinds of thinking and reflexes simultaneously to appeal to most people.

I quite liked "Pac'n'Roll" and the first "Lost in Blue" as well. And "The Rub Rabbits" and "Kirby Canvas Curse" were pretty good.

orborborb fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 7, 2013

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

jtm33 posted:

Nintendo is doing a promotion in Australia where you can get a free game when you register a 3DS Club Nintendo code on your account between 20th June and the 31st July.

http://www.nintendo.com.au/great-games-promo/

It seems that it is only available at "participating retailers" and you need to send them a picture of your receipt.

Of course being nintendo Australia it's narrowly limited and only includes the little console. I'm more amazed they actually have a marketing department to set this up since they never advertise or do anything at all to suggest their existence.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I could only play Metroid Prime Hunters with the thumbstrap I got with my Phat DS. Thumbstrap fo life yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

iajanus posted:

Of course being nintendo Australia it's narrowly limited and only includes the little console. I'm more amazed they actually have a marketing department to set this up since they never advertise or do anything at all to suggest their existence.

Yeah it's pretty shocking really how little they do in terms of promotions. They are not even doing this entirely within club Nintendo, they actually want you to send them your receipt.

• Locked thread