Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

That was what I was saying?

Yeah, I misread, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I think I'm just a sucker for a good introduction. Which is the reason why I like IX and VII. The games feel like they build to a grand adventure.

XIII feels like the introduction is 10 hours long, and then you get to Pulse....and there's nothing there.

ImpAtom posted:

A good portion of that probably is nostalgia in addition to voice acting kinda forcing a certain tone into your head.

I think this is true as well. When I played these games as a kid I kind of envisioned a different way that these characters talked. Maybe it's because I never watched Japanese anime?

The massive difference between Final Fantasy VII and Advent Children is probably the best comparison I could give. These are the same exact characters, but made into a realistic movie. The personalities they have in Advent Children aren't the ones I attributed to these characters when I played VII. Which is why I think I would hate the Final Fantasy VII remake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

The massive difference between Final Fantasy VII and Advent Children is probably the best comparison I could give. These are the same exact characters, but made into a realistic movie. The personalities they have in Advent Children aren't the ones I attributed to these characters when I played VII. Which is why I think I would hate the Final Fantasy VII remake.

Well, in that case, it's because they're not the personalities the characters had. Advent Children completely changes who Cloud is. They make him closer to Squall Leonheart and write it off as depression because somehow Cloud as the taciturn shithead became a 'thing.'

Crisis Core, for all its flaws, actually captures Cloud a lot better. It's basically the only FF spinoff that does. I haven't played the dub of Crisis Core but Zack is basically the kind of guy they can write and just refuse to for some reason.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 6, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I thought X's introduction was pretty awesome and gave that sense of grand adventure as well. I mean, if having your hometown invaded by aquatic Godzilla and then getting thrown into a portal by a mysterious figure doesn't say "adventure," then I don't know what does.

On the other hand, XII's sucked. Would've been fine if they'd never switched over to Vaan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

I thought X's introduction was pretty awesome and gave that sense of grand adventure as well. I mean, if having your hometown invaded by aquatic Godzilla and then getting thrown into a portal by a mysterious figure doesn't say "adventure," then I don't know what does.

On the other hand, XII's sucked. Would've been fine if they'd never switched over to Vaan.

XII's would have been better if there was any drama in what happened instead of the big "he killed my brother" thing being basically nullified early on.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Krad posted:

Yea, X's introduction was good. It helped that you were playing a character that was lost in a different world.

For all the flak I give VIII, it also had a great intro. The Dollet mission was a great building point for the plot to expand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yea, X's introduction was good. It helped that you were playing a character that was lost in a different world.

For all the flak I give VIII, it also had a great intro. The Dollet mission was a great building point for the plot to expand.

Yeah, but prior to Dollet you have to go through the boring-rear end Ifrit cave. Even the demo knew to start at Dollet. I don't know why they didn't work the tutorial into the Dollet mission instead.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Maybe I'm mis-remembering though about the end of last generation, and how long it took for companies to transition to 360 and PS3.

People were still making PS2 games for a long rear end time. Persona 4 is kind of a good example as that game came out way after the PS3 launch. Or you could go with FIFA 13 which came out last year on PS2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII has this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEvfMHUZVE8 Which is silly as hell, but seems a lot weirder with a hyper-realistic dude having wacky antics.

I would literally play an entire game of Sazh chasing a cactuar that is just constantly loving with him. Some fiendish plot is foiled and the world saved in the mean time, but the fundamental conflict is always Sazh vs. cactuar. Sazh owns, but sadly I don't think Square understands that.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just watched the latest trailer and was genuinely shocked at that last line. Was that... emotion?
I hope Snow / Troy Baker gets a bigger role in Lightning Returns. He was one of the few good parts of the first two games.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

People were still making PS2 games for a long rear end time. Persona 4 is kind of a good example as that game came out way after the PS3 launch. Or you could go with FIFA 13 which came out last year on PS2.

Is that cover real? What in the world does the copy on the back mean?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I am so excited for Lightning Returns. Except that sand sliding is ugly as gently caress; the FFXIII engine is showing its age, even if the lighting is still fantastic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cardboard Fox posted:

This generation's Final Fantasy games just don't feel like you're going on a grand adventure. They feel like a cgi movie where the protagonist has no personality, but cool sunglasses.

The Tales games from Namco Bandai still do this pretty well at least.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I am so excited for Lightning Returns. Except that sand sliding is ugly as gently caress; the FFXIII engine is showing its age, even if the lighting is still fantastic.

I am glad I am not the only one. :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

I liked the trailer and I am excited for it. I also like what I read in that article, though it sounds like it might be a bit clunky so I guess I'll see.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'm ready for some Lightning Returns.... Next year. Where's Timecop Snow when you need him?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I hope Chocolina returns. :ohdear:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I finally bought XIII and started playing it for about an hour (skipping cutscenes). I mostly know what to expect, since I watched the LP, but did anyone else have trouble with the camera? It feels really weird and unresponsive, and it makes me feel kind of sick to move it.

You can change the amount of enemies you fight by moving them offscreen on the field, right? Because I kept fighting single enemies in the tower because I kept trying to sneak up on them.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

They are really going full fan-service with this third game. Here's a collector's edition bundle for the trilogy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Death By Yogurt posted:

They are really going full fan-service with this third game. Here's a collector's edition bundle for the trilogy.

They're including both previous games? I guess they gotta find a way to get rid of surplus inventory.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Death By Yogurt posted:

Who's this game about again?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I thought the encounters were fixed, so that certain enemies on the field would always be part of the same encounter, even if you found some way to separate them.

Lightning Returns looks interesting, and the removal of AI companions might be good for the battle system, since you won't need to rely on their AI working. It was very good in XIII and XIII-2, but they'd always wait for their action bar to fill up completely before doing anything, when you might need a healing spell within the next two seconds to stop an enemy from killing you. Plus, knowing what order to apply buffs and debuffs, or whether to recover health or cute status ailments is something best left to the player to decide. They did remember a lot of information about the enemies too, but if the game can communicate that to you more easily, without having to pause the game with the R1 button, then it's not a big loss.

It does feel like a Majora's Mask rip-off, with its coundown timer and alternate universe versions of characters, but it's such a good concept to base it off then it's going to be interesting regardless.

Also, the engine isn't very good at all. I can't stand the dithering they used on all the transparencies, especially the characters' hair and eyelashes. It just looks like a flickery mess. The framerate in towns and other densely populated areas in XIII-2 was terrible, but somehow Gran Pulse, with a huge draw distance and dozens of monsters running around, ran fine.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Death By Yogurt posted:

My favorite part of the LIGHTNING TRILOGY collection is how each disk of the LIGHTNING TRILOGY has the main character LIGHTNING on them.

Looking forward to LR in all honesty. Partly just because I want some drat closure, and partly because the game does look pretty neat.

Hope there's a demo like XIII-2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bland posted:

Snow Villers.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
She's back

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Death By Yogurt posted:

Man, if this came in different characters I would totally buy the Sazh trilogy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

if the action figure's hands could do the little gun flip he did when he pulled them out :3:

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

That loving Sned posted:

I thought the encounters were fixed, so that certain enemies on the field would always be part of the same encounter, even if you found some way to separate them.

Lightning Returns looks interesting, and the removal of AI companions might be good for the battle system, since you won't need to rely on their AI working. It was very good in XIII and XIII-2, but they'd always wait for their action bar to fill up completely before doing anything, when you might need a healing spell within the next two seconds to stop an enemy from killing you. Plus, knowing what order to apply buffs and debuffs, or whether to recover health or cute status ailments is something best left to the player to decide. They did remember a lot of information about the enemies too, but if the game can communicate that to you more easily, without having to pause the game with the R1 button, then it's not a big loss.

The AI characters actually used their bar as soon as possible for some actions, specially healing and buffing.

But yeah, count me as another person excited for LRFFXIII! It'll be interesting seeing Snow and Noel as antagonists this time around. And I can't wait to listen to more of the music; the two tracks released so far are wonderful.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm still waiting for Sazh and Fang's excellent adventure.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PunkBoy posted:

I hope Chocolina returns. :ohdear:

I saw her in one of the first trailers.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm pretty sure I have to buy this game just for the chance to beat the crap out of Noel.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

alcharagia posted:

I'm pretty sure I have to buy this game just for the chance to beat the crap out of Noel.

Hey now, Noel wasn't bad. He was about as inoffensive and non-annoying as they come. I mean sure he quite literally came out of nowhere, is not particularly relevant to anything, has a stupid weapon, and has no real reason to exist, but he's a decent enough guy. He was certainly a better character than Serah. Also he wears harem pants.

Really I just want Sazh and Caius back.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

chumbler posted:

Really I just want Sazh and Caius back.

Sazh, yes. Caius, no - even if he is voiced by Liam O'Brien - and he can take that monstrosity he calls a "sword", with him.

Rygorous
Apr 23, 2008

Bland posted:

The funny thing is Lightning doesn't really do much in either XIII or XIII-2 :v:

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Crossposting this with the iOS thread but I'm curious, if anyone here owns both the iPad & iPhone versions of Final Fantasy Tactics, is the iPad version a significant improvement on playing the iPhone version in 2x mode on an iPad?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I just got to XIII's "We're pets :downs:" cutscene. There was talk earlier of how the game's localization was badly done, does anyone know if this scene was any better in Japanese? Lightning's train of thought is weirdly done, and it doesn't really make sense for her to run away after getting another reason to hate the Fal'cie.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Haven't tried the iPhone version on the iPad; just bought the iPad version since it's half off. It shouldn't really matter though.

However the slowdown fix on an iPad mini is a bit overboard. Effects are sped up so much that some of them end halfway through the sound effect. The Lucavi transformation is really bad for it. The character's fully transformed probably 1/4 to 1/2 of a second before the laugh effect which normally lines up right with their appearance. Efrit's attack is over and the camera focus is back on your summoner before the sound for him impacting the ground has finished.

I prefer it over the previous s l o w a s s h i t effects but it's still a bit odd to get used to.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

I just got to XIII's "We're pets :downs:" cutscene. There was talk earlier of how the game's localization was badly done, does anyone know if this scene was any better in Japanese? Lightning's train of thought is weirdly done, and it doesn't really make sense for her to run away after getting another reason to hate the Fal'cie.

I honestly don't even remember that. XIII's story is so forgettable I only remember the basics.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Momomo posted:

I don't know what it is about "pets" that sets her off, or if the dialogue itself makes any more sense in the original script, but the broad idea is that she levels her head a bit and realises that ditching everyone and lashing out without a plan wasn't a good move. I imagine that part would play a little better because the English VA was directed to sound half-asleep the whole time, it's hard to detect any change in tone when she mellows out.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Some time back I lost my memory card with my VIII save on it and I just finished a playthrough because not having a final boss save bothered me. It was pretty enjoyable but its a drat shame being an adult and really seeing the shortcomings in the story and even the overworld...how bland. However I did learn something about myself...

I think playing too many RPGs as a kid has given me a real addiction to the saturated, screeching battle effects of the ps1 generation. Hearing all the high pitched whirring of Triple Holy or the rapid explosions of Irvines Fast shot just hits some weird spot for me. I would also like to nominate SaGa Frontier for being a close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Which particular scene was that?