Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

WarLocke posted:

^^^: I think it was that since they're basically just lasers, there's no weight/inertia other than the hilt and it becomes hard to keep your situational awareness as to just exactly where that big old laser is. One slip up and you chop off one of your own limbs. Jedi apparently use the Force as some sixth sense to keep this from happening I guess.

That's how I've heard it explained over the years. And the 'sixth sense to counter lack of inertia' thing fits in just fine with 'also uses lightsaber to parry laser beams and bullets' thing in terms of low-level psychic precognitive abilities that fall under a loose "Force sensitive" umbrella. Regardless, "non-Jedi literally cannot use lightsabers" is BS since Han uses Luke's lightsaber to cut open the Tauntaun in ESB.

I hear all these stories about people on RP servers freaking out on people who aren't always in character, it almost makes me want to make another alt on an RP server just to troll them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Simon Draskovic posted:

I hear all these stories about people on RP servers freaking out on people who aren't always in character, it almost makes me want to make another alt on an RP server just to troll them.

I was already planning on having my pvp gear be one of those dancer outfits with the other parts being the invisible covert energy pieces, so just a half-naked green chick running around healing people. But re-rolling on a RP server is just too much effort (especially with the Legacy system).

e: Mini princess rant - I really wish there was a hairstyle identical to the one I went with, except without the silver medallion thing. There's a similar one, but it's just different enough to not be right. And I feel like my sage's forehead is too 'busy' with the tattoo and medallion.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 9, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Section Z posted:

I think we should step away from Light/Dark being Good/Evil, and focus on something both less, and more spergy. EU fanboy wanks screaming that if anyone without the force so much as touches a lightsaber, you will chop your own cock off.

Which brings me to Lightfoils. Identical to a lightsaber in every way with the 'old' models, just as strong and you still need the force to not bisect your penis. There are two differences in 'modern' designs. 1) Weaker than a lightsaber because it's not made of proper Jedi Hanzo steel or whatever. 2) People without the force can use them just fine, all of a sudden.

My headcannon for why this is the case. For daring to sully it's signature special snowflake weapon with your filthy non force user hands, The Force is trying to kill you. Since modern lightfoils aren't as :japan:, the force doesn't give a gently caress who uses them.

Light or Dark, both sides of the force are drama queen as gently caress after all.

Wookieepedia posted:

Post-Cleansing Lightfoils were weaker than authentic lightsabers due to the poor quality focusing crystals used in their manufacture and the relatively low level of craftsmanship compared to Jedi artisans. However, the knockoff lightfoils apparently did not require any connection to the Force to create, and were fully usable by non-Force sensitives.[1]

Wookieepedia posted:

Due to the weightlessness of plasma and the strong gyroscopic effect generated by it, lightsabers required a great deal of strength and dexterity to wield, and it was extremely difficult—and dangerous—for the untrained to attempt using.

Some people have put way, way too much time in trying to find explanations as to how lightsabers are supposed to work.

Huh apparently there was a Gamorrean and Kowakian monkey-lizard sith. This strikes me as profoundly ridiculous.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Well, Gamorrean are sentient. Literally any sentient being (besides Yuzaanhg Vong or whatever they are called) can touch the force, and thus can potentially be force sensitive. Picaroon was sentient despite not being from a sentient species?

If we want to look at ridiculous Jedi, look no farther than Jedi Master Ikrit

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Is there a good place to find talent builds? Im generally not very good at that so I'd just cut out the middle man.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is there a good place to find talent builds? Im generally not very good at that so I'd just cut out the middle man.

I use https://www.noxxic.com/swtor

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just started playing a few days ago. Game seems fun, but probably not something I'll play for years.

I have a retarded newbie question. If I wanted to be (for instance) a Twilek, what do I need to do? If I pay to unlock the race, is it just unlocked for me from then on, or is it unlocked for a single use?

If I paid for subscription for a month, would I still be able to use my non-f2p race after the month was up, or would I need to pay to unlock it anyway, even though I already have a character?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

AlphaDog posted:

I just started playing a few days ago. Game seems fun, but probably not something I'll play for years.

I have a retarded newbie question. If I wanted to be (for instance) a Twilek, what do I need to do? If I pay to unlock the race, is it just unlocked for me from then on, or is it unlocked for a single use?

If I paid for subscription for a month, would I still be able to use my non-f2p race after the month was up, or would I need to pay to unlock it anyway, even though I already have a character?
This is mostly answered here: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6824

If you sub and then cancel your sub, I think you go to preferred so that part of the help article would apply to you.

The way races work is that each class can be created using a default set of races. For Twi'lek, I think that's Jedi Consular, Smuggler, Jedi Knight, and Sith Inquisitor. If you play a Twi'lek to 50, you'll unlock that race for use in any class. Alternatively you can just buy the item that provides the unlock, either through the GTN or through the Cartel Market shop (using either credits or money). You may need a certain legacy level to buy races through the CC, I can't remember. Generally you just want to buy it through the GTN if you are going to use money.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Rascyc posted:

This is mostly answered here: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6824

If you sub and then cancel your sub, I think you go to preferred so that part of the help article would apply to you.

The way races work is that each class can be created using a default set of races. For Twi'lek, I think that's Jedi Consular, Smuggler, Jedi Knight, and Sith Inquisitor. If you play a Twi'lek to 50, you'll unlock that race for use in any class. Alternatively you can just buy the item that provides the unlock, either through the GTN or through the Cartel Market shop (using either credits or money). You may need a certain legacy level to buy races through the CC, I can't remember. Generally you just want to buy it through the GTN if you are going to use money.

No legacy level required, but you need a legacy which means a character at level 10.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I asked earlier but was dumb and logged out kind of quickly. Can I get an invite to That's No Goon? Character is Sellesa

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Did warzone xp get nerfed into the ground? I just finished a WZ wherein I was top 3 in damage, top 3 in objectives, I have full legacy xp boosts (plus 25 percent major xp boost AND guild xp boost), am a subscriber, AND we won. My warzone reward was something about 4K and my daily WZ mission box yielded 6420 xp (67xx when actually rewarded). I'm only L13, but what the gently caress, chuck? I remember xp rewards being in the high teens for the warzone itself, nevermind the mission reward, at this level the last time I played.

I don't have the xpac, if that matters.

And wtf moment: "We're sorry, but we can't perform transactions to this credit card. Please load a different one". Two different cards, same response. Trying to give you money, Bioware. Guess you don't want it.

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 9, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Same bank? Some banks/credit unions are a little paranoid about games; you can use mmogs for money laundering. Or more likely little timmy takes Jimmy's card and buys a bazillion packs or something.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tide posted:

Did warzone xp get nerfed into the ground? I just finished a WZ wherein I was top 3 in damage, top 3 in objectives, I have full legacy xp boosts (plus 25 percent major xp boost AND guild xp boost), am a subscriber, AND we won. My warzone reward was something about 4K and my daily WZ mission box yielded 6420 xp (67xx when actually rewarded). I'm only L13, but what the gently caress, chuck? I remember xp rewards being in the high teens for the warzone itself, nevermind the mission reward, at this level the last time I played.

I don't have the xpac, if that matters.

And wtf moment: "We're sorry, but we can't perform transactions to this credit card. Please load a different one". Two different cards, same response. Trying to give you money, Bioware. Guess you don't want it.

I have that problem too, I just buy gametimecards on Origin, that works somehow v:shobon:v

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I love how nonsensical the game is if you play Stealthy. For example, I stealthed through a whole mission to get to the bottom of a bunker, killing no one. At the bottom, the guard in the cutscene says "YOU BUTCHERED MY MEN!!!". Also, no spoilers, there's a Consular mission where you have to rescue a bunch of civilians. I stealthed my way there, then the story has them fan out to parts of the area to do vital tasks, conveniently ignoring the still living 100+ enemies.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just one of the prices of being an MMO.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Would it be nuts to get the Ephemermal Mending relic for a Annihilation Marauder? Since Berserk heals the group for 1% a tick, figure it might actually be more beneficial than one of the "Extra 241 damage" relics...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Your healers can't prevent an enrage, you can. If your healers are that terrible your raid group is hosed anyways.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Your healers can't prevent an enrage, you can. If your healers are that terrible your raid group is hosed anyways.

That's what I was going to say but you beat me to it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It might be worth he basic coms for some comedy parses or something, but it really isn't a good idea.

Or maybe a setup for all marauder comedy runs?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there an easy way to gear droids?

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Be a cybertech.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ajax posted:

Be a cybertech.

Then craft orange droid parts and fill them with whatever you like I guess! Wait, what armorings do they take? Only crafted ones?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So what is the "Best in slot" relic for a Marauder? I have a poo poo ton of basic comms and don't need any armor pieces, so I'm thinking of upgrading his relic. Would one of the cooldown +power ones be better than the damage proc ones? I know stats are pretty much the same across the board.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Then craft orange droid parts and fill them with whatever you like I guess! Wait, what armorings do they take? Only crafted ones?

What do you mean by the last bit? Every single class/companion uses the same armoring. Unless you mean what stat, in which case I believe every droid is Aim.

alien8
Jul 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

KittyEmpress posted:

What do you mean by the last bit? Every single class/companion uses the same armoring. Unless you mean what stat, in which case I believe every droid is Aim.

HK can also use Cunning gear.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

KittyEmpress posted:

I mean if I pull a boots armour out of a pair of boots, is that going to go into droid parts or is it going to tell me "Nope, those aren't boots"?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I mean if I pull a boots armour out of a pair of boots, is that going to go into droid parts or is it going to tell me "Nope, those aren't boots"?

Yep. :( You gotta buy generic armorings.

vvvvvvvvv

Fathis Munk posted:

Armor is armor as far as I know. Only restrictions are the obvious barrel/hilts/color crystals for weapons and Armoring for armor.

No, endgame armorings are specific to a slot (chest, boot, etc), and there is no comparable droid version (which bummed me out, because I had 3 bajillion tionese commendations and wanted to kit out my new shiny HK-51)

Medullah fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 9, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Armor is armor as far as I know. Only restrictions are the obvious barrel/hilts/color crystals for weapons and Armoring for armor.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

hobbesmaster posted:

Same bank? Some banks/credit unions are a little paranoid about games; you can use mmogs for money laundering. Or more likely little timmy takes Jimmy's card and buys a bazillion packs or something.

Back when I played WoW, I'd get a call from my bank each time I had a Blizzard charge come through asking if it was legit. It was policy with them from what they said when I asked.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ahahahaha, never really clicked until now....

Email I get just after arriving at Fleet on a newbie Marauder from Lord Abaron says "his bloodline muddied by slave breeding" in reference to Overseer Trammel. Who is black.

Goddrat, Bioware. :stare:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

JayJay posted:

Could use an invite to Thats no goon, Name: Rahmus

Still need an invite, if anyone is actually playing. :effort:

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
I'm confused on the cartel visual armor, I want to get the Sanctified Caretaker armor set for my Sith warrior, can I pull the mods out of green gear and use that or do I have to buy mods with Planetary Commendations?

I'm only level 11 and only have 7 commendations so far for the planet I'm on, will I be gimping myself if I use it with no mods?

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Strategy posted:

I'm confused on the cartel visual armor, I want to get the Sanctified Caretaker armor set for my Sith warrior, can I pull the mods out of green gear and use that or do I have to buy mods with Planetary Commendations?

I'm only level 11 and only have 7 commendations so far for the planet I'm on, will I be gimping myself if I use it with no mods?

You can only pull from orange and purple gear. You will be gimping yourself if you use it with nothing inside (I am assuming by mods you are including armouring and enhancements). Use green gear until you can at least toss basic mods, enhancements and armouring into your orange stuff.

Edit: what server are you on; we are goon, and we can help.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
While leveling, it's more economical to just do the heroic quests in a zone or run some daily FPs. Win orange gear, rip out mods. Buy the rest you need from the planetary commendation vendor. You can skip all heroic quests (I do, people are really dumb and it takes more time than they should) and just shore yourself up either through crafting, more plantary commendations, or the GTN.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Tide posted:

Warzone XP is based purely on length of warzone and your level. A short WZ will give you less XP.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
When doing FPs, take advantage of the Daily quests available from the supplies wing of the Fleet, or ask people to share. You can rack up TONS of Planetary Commendations, I'm pretty sure 10 a day are available from those and another 10 from the weekly. You get craptons of XP, too.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Also if you want a group for flashpoints please ask goons, because I've been waiting for a group for Red Reaper for like an hour and a half now.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Red Crown posted:

When doing FPs, take advantage of the Daily quests available from the supplies wing of the Fleet, or ask people to share. You can rack up TONS of Planetary Commendations, I'm pretty sure 10 a day are available from those and another 10 from the weekly. You get craptons of XP, too.

And if you're overlevelled and don't need Planetary Commendations anymore, they're still a great way to gear your alts.

Seriously, you can't craft Guardian Mods or Guardian Armor that I've seen. Levelling a Jedi Guardian, took Cybertech to trick him out, and now he's tricking out all my other alts and his companions while scouring the GTN for mods/armoring.

Question - TNG raids start at 8 EST tonight?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

8:30pm eastern Mondays and Wednesdays.

edit: assuming certain guild leaders take time out of their busy tv schedule to show up and heal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002

Team THEOLOGY posted:

You can only pull from orange and purple gear. You will be gimping yourself if you use it with nothing inside (I am assuming by mods you are including armouring and enhancements). Use green gear until you can at least toss basic mods, enhancements and armouring into your orange stuff.

Edit: what server are you on; we are goon, and we can help.

I'm on The Bastion, don't think we have any goon guilds there.

• Locked thread