Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Banks always freely admitted he wrote Consider Phlebas as if it were a massive-scale sci-fi film.

The Culture universe as a whole is absolutely ripe for a visual medium, but I can't help but feel incredibly precious about it.

There are so many vital and central aspects of the Culture that I think are simply unfilmable. How would you put the Mind/Ship communication from the Excession onto the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Those On My Left posted:

There are so many vital and central aspects of the Culture that I think are simply unfilmable. How would you put the Mind/Ship communication from the Excession onto the screen?

Of all the things to call "unfilmable," you choose what amounts to a bunch of gods chatting in cyberspace? That's not unfilmable, that's an opportunity!

EDIT: Come to think of it, aren't all Mind-to-Mind communications ostensibly dumbed down so a human audience can understand them anyways? You could do literally anything you wanted with those scenes. Play around with visual character designs for the Minds, have them interacting "physically" in simulation. Emphasize the differences in their personalities while putting on a totally unrestrained CGI show because, obviously, a scene like that doesn't need to look real.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 26, 2013

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Those On My Left posted:

As Tuxedo said, what we read is explicitly dumbed down from the ludicrous amounts of information and meaning the Minds are presumably sending each other. Adapting the sort of virtual reality forum Banks describes in later Culture novels would work perfectly well. And the interaction between ships, their avatars and humans could be really well done. I can visualise the interaction between Lededje and the cadavarous, insouciant, slightly intimidating avatar of the Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints', in that tiny enclosed space, and it seems like it'd be pretty compelling to me.

What I would worry about being lost in translation from book to screen, frankly, would be the politics of the Culture series.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Taratang posted:

I'd love to see someone like Neal Asher start writing books set in the Culture universe (only with Banks' blessing of course).

Imagine what would happen if an eccentric Mind, off wandering billions of light years away from the Culture proper, encountered the Polity (actually no that's a terrible idea but still, Asher's take on the Culture would be great).

The Polity is basically a more human-centered version of The Culture.
I started reading Asher, and now when I've read a couple of books from Banks the influences he has had on Asher are clear.
Both deal with a human society basically ruled by AIs where nothing is lacking, the AIs have distinct personalities, the AIs have some idea of the greater good where humans can be sacrificed, the AIs have no problem meddling with other human civilizations.
Differences are seen in how aliens are depicted where they are invariably treated as hostiles in Ashers universe, and humans themselves are consistently more rebellious compared to Banks.

Also, Banks wrote his first books in the 80s, while Asher started writing in the 00s, which for instance is seen in the description of the drones as well in the description of DNA and nanotechnology. Banks to me feels more idealistic, where Asher has a more crass version of humanity.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

EDIT: Come to think of it, aren't all Mind-to-Mind communications ostensibly dumbed down so a human audience can understand them anyways? You could do literally anything you wanted with those scenes. Play around with visual character designs for the Minds, have them interacting "physically" in simulation. Emphasize the differences in their personalities while putting on a totally unrestrained CGI show because, obviously, a scene like that doesn't need to look real.

They used to be, but now the canonical explanation of Mind-to-Mind communication is them wearing humanoid avatars and sitting around chatting in a virtual reality simulation of a gentleman's club mapping of the galaxy.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

BastardySkull posted:

On the other hand I'd love to see a TV series of something like Use of Weapons. Or a movie (maybe).

They talked about doing Player of Games but I think there are much better books to start with. Consider Phlebas would be a good start as it's a bit more nuanced about the nature of the Culture.

Use of Weapons could potentially be a 10 (or 13 :v:) episode miniseries. And you know what? I was just watching the Avengers, and Tom Middleston as Loki is almost exactly how I picture Zakalwe. (If you want a good description of him in the book, look to when he gets to "meet" Tsoldrin in Solotol) Make him slightly tanner, just a shade of five o'clock shadow, put that hair in a ponytail and bam. I think he could pull off the part, to boot.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

pseudorandom name posted:

They used to be, but now the canonical explanation of Mind-to-Mind communication is them wearing humanoid avatars and sitting around chatting in a virtual reality simulation of a gentleman's club mapping of the galaxy.

There's a detailed description of the Mind Club in Surface Detail. The club is the galaxy mapped as a rambling manor, where every room can be seen from every other, defying geometry. Ships manifest as whatever they feel like, from humanoids to animals to floating orange clouds.
It would be interesting to see in a film.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm sure their 'speech' is still something beyond human intelligence or comprehension, even in that virtual environment.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

MikeJF posted:

I'm sure their 'speech' is still something beyond human intelligence or comprehension, even in that virtual environment.

That visualization is probably just a fad anyway, in a couple hundred years it'll be a dive bar or something.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Any movie or series would have to get the mega structures perfect and to scale. A sense of scale is easy to achieve for a GSV or an Orbital but some of the more wacky poo poo, less so.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm about three quarters way through The Hydrogen Sonata, and I just remembered a question I wanted to ask of you guys, before I forget.

One of the many things I love about Banks are his frequent segues into more abstract topics. In The Hydrogen Sonata a good example is his exposition on the Simming Problem, in which he deals with the moral and ethical problems of creating simulations to work out problems.

My question is which other sci-fi/fantasy writers deal with these kinds of issues? It doesn't have to be space opera, or even science fiction, I'd just love to read more (epic) stories that incorporate these abstract/philosophical issues in their writings.

I'm loving The Hydrogen Sonata, by the way, and in my opinion so far, it's definitely best saved for last in the Culture series.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Check out Richard Garfinkle. I've only read two (first two?) of his books but Holy poo poo!

Celestial Matters is a book in which the mathematics of Pythagoras are solid so you have spaceships mined and hollowed out from the moon and other mental crazy poo poo*. The Greeks are in a long-standing hot/cold war with China because of differing mathematical principles.

*Yellow Hair :allears:

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Taeke posted:

My question is which other sci-fi/fantasy writers deal with these kinds of issues? It doesn't have to be space opera, or even science fiction, I'd just love to read more (epic) stories that incorporate these abstract/philosophical issues in their writings.
There are writers who go much, much deeper into this sort of thing than Banks (for good or ill). For epic philosophy, you can't do much better than Anathem by Neal Stephenson. For more about the ethics of simulated minds, see Greg Egan's Permutation City and John C Wright's Golden Age. For the philosophy of consciousness, there's Embassytown by China Mieville. If you finish that one and wish there had been more about consciousness and less story, Frank Herbert's Destination: Void goes even further.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I didn't think Anathem actually got into any particularly deep philosophy, but it's a really great primer on basic logic and interesting topics in pure math. Also your first step for any genre book on the philosophy of consciousness should be Blindsight, the definitive Science Fiction About Consciousness.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
For a more bite-sized take on Simming, you can also check out David Brin's short story The Stones of Significance.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a good Stanislaw Lem story about it, in the Cyberiad. You should read the Cyberiad.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
https://twitter.com/cstross/status/343740022924648448

Apparently Iain Banks died this morning. I hoped he would get a bit longer. RIP :(

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

paint dry posted:

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/343740022924648448

Apparently Iain Banks died this morning. I hoped he would get a bit longer. RIP :(
Wow, too fast since his diagnosis... gently caress cancer :cry:

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong

Talas posted:

Wow, too fast since his diagnosis... gently caress cancer :cry:

What a shame, a wonderful, modest and very thoughtful man, right to the last. At least we are left with the fantastic books he wrote as a consolation.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

On the verge of tears here. gently caress cancer. Too soon. Rest well, Iain.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Goddamnit.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

From contact to quietus. Rest in peace, you were my favourite author.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

lenoon posted:

From contact to quietus. Rest in peace, you were my favourite author.

Very sad indeed. A great author, and a great guy to boot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hugely saddened by this. And despite the best efforts of the publishers he didn't quite make it to seeing his last book on the shelves either, which is just a dingleberry atop the poo poo sundae.

gently caress. I think I'm going to need some booze to get through this.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Rest well in Infinite Fun Space, Banks. You've earned it.

For better or worse, he made me decide I wanted to become a novelist.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I'm not a big reader, in all honesty, and if I do read I rarely touch fiction. However, I did read The Wasp Factory when I was younger and it's the only book that had a scene that affected me so much I had to pause, put it down and take a walk to clear my head.

RIP Iain Banks.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh no. :( part of me was hoping for some sort of crazy statistical fluke. RIP Mr. Banks, you created one of my favorite settings and filled it with some of my favorite stories.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Even though you know its coming it still loving hurts.

RIP

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The literary world is a much lesser place today.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MikeJF posted:

The literary world is a much lesser place today.

I was going to post the exact same thing, but without the 'literary' bit.

RIP, Iain.

Von Bek
May 4, 2006

Bye bye Iain :sigh:

Swamp Fancy
Apr 6, 2003

Look, I'm not exaggerating when I say the success of your mission hinges on how you use that cardboard box.
The worst news to come back from work to, truly gutted.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The feeling you get when someone walks on your grave? BBC news:

quote:

On Sunday, it was revealed the book - to be released on 20 June - would detail the physical and emotional strain of cancer.

It describes the final weeks of the life of a man in his 40s who has terminal cancer.

Speaking to the BBC's Kirsty Wark, Banks said he was some 87,000 words into writing the book when he was diagnosed with his own illness.

"I had no inkling. So it wasn't as though this is a response to the disease or anything, the book had been kind of ready to go," he said.

"And then 10,000 words from the end, as it turned out, I suddenly discovered that I had cancer."

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"
This sucks. RIP :(

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Comstar posted:

The feeling you get when someone walks on your grave? BBC news:

:stare:

Strangely The Hydrogen Sonata could also be seen as a fitting end to The Culture series.

:(

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
drat... terrible news.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

WMain00 posted:

:stare:

Strangely The Hydrogen Sonata could also be seen as a fitting end to The Culture series.

:(

Yeah, I noticed that too. RIP Iain. :smith:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
In a white room somewhere far away, Iain M. Banks is waking up to the word SIMULATION floating lazily in mid-air and being informed about the neural lace implanted in his head 58 years ago.

Enjoy yourself, Iain.

Shimmergloom
May 20, 2007
gently caress cancer forever! :(

RIP Mr. Banks, I will miss you :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Reading this is pretty much the first time I've spontaneously shouted out "no" while reading a piece of news. :(

Rest in peace, Iain.

• Locked thread