Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

If you want to overthink the whole thing, It's kind of funny that his full name is technically 'Courtney Hate', an interesting spin on 'Courtney Love'.

:psyboom: I can't believe I didn't get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PROS-TAH-TOO! :neckbeard:

That was great, I was so happy to see Venturestein back. And Dean did something good and productive, yay for Helper :unsmith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

That was great, I was so happy to see Venturestein back. And Dean did something good and productive, yay for Helper :unsmith:

Yet he ruined Shallow Gravy. RIP Shallow Gravy 2011-2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet he ruined Shallow Gravy. RIP Shallow Gravy 2011-2013

I imagine he did this because he wasn't a big fan of them. Or Helper's drum track every since the night went on non-stop.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

So rewatching the episode I noticed that in Hatred's flashback the stuff they were injecting him with was called "Soldier X", after which he breaks his restraints and runs for Treister's son. I'm thinking we may get Hatred dreams throughout the season, like Docs in season 1. A botched super soldier experiment would be the Venture universe generic reason for turning evil. ("What is it with you dicks? The minute an experiment messes up you sell yourself a pair of tight pajamas and become a professional pain in my rear end!")

Also, holy crap, I didn't notice the oompa loompas with face camo before.

Delaio fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 12, 2013

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Delaio posted:

So rewatching the episode I noticed that in Hatred's flashback the stuff they were injecting him with was called "Soldier X", after which he breaks his restraints and runs for Treister's son. I'm thinking we may get Hatred dreams throughout the season, like Docs in season 1. A botched super soldier experiment would be the Venture universe generic reason for turning evil. ("What is it with you dicks? The minute an experiment messes up you sell yourself a pair of tight pajamas and become a professional pain in my rear end!")

It also calls back to the two best-known super-soldier programs: the government-led Super-Soldier Program that created Captain America, and the Weapon X program that upgraded Wolverine.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bobulus posted:

It also calls back to the two best-known super-soldier programs: the government-led Super-Soldier Program that created Captain America, and the Weapon X program that upgraded Wolverine.

For what it's worth, Weapon X was just one of (thousands?) of attempts of recreating the Super-Soldier program so it might as well be one and the same.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Sockser posted:

For what it's worth, Weapon X was just one of (thousands?) of attempts of recreating the Super-Soldier program so it might as well be one and the same.

Well, Deadpool is a survivor of the Weapon K, where all the failed Weapon X experiments went to die, then get dissected as a how not to do that again for Weapon X knowledge.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 12, 2013

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

a cock shaped fruit posted:

If you want to overthink the whole thing, It's kind of funny that his full name is technically 'Courtney Hate', an interesting spin on 'Courtney Love'.
That's got to be it right there.

Jerusalem posted:

BAH MAAAAAHH! :neckbeard:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

Well, Deadpool is a survivor of the Weapon K, where all the failed Weapon X experiments went to die, then get dissected as a how not to do that again for Weapon X knowledge.

Deadpool was also part of Weapon X.

I think you're conflating it with Department K, which runs Weapon X.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Now I want to see Brock and Venturestein team up and kick some rear end.

Speaking of Brock, I hope he shows up a little bit more later in the series.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

thexerox123 posted:

Deadpool was also part of Weapon X.

I think you're conflating it with Department K, which runs Weapon X.

Also, the "X" is a Roman numeral. So Wolverine is actually Weapon 10 in a series of similar experiments.

:comicbooks:

revolther
May 27, 2008
I think they realized that the lack of any perceivable flaws allowed the legendary gringo Brock Sampson to quickly grow into something bigger than them. Like they know Brock has become something the comicon crowd equates to near Bond level unbelievable badass in such a crazy short amount of time that they have to leave it alone not to mess it up. Like they've managed to let Brock humiliate cultural male icons, best "Reed Richards" and a bunch of other one-off parodies, leave "GI Joe" for being too ineffectual; plot wise he is a golden goose we will happily accept making GBS threads on the chest of our favorite comic characters.

They've done a good job resisting the temptation to make it the Brock is Awesome masturbation hour. I imagine cartoon network wants more Brock, I enjoy his cameo's, but it's understandable that Doc and Jackson don't just want The Fonz to come say, "aye", every episode.

Not a lot of TV characters are that catalyzing, especially from a cartoon. The only other recent comparison I can think of is Nick Offerman's Ron Swanson; he knows he has something and you can tell he's trying to slowly grow it without blowing it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I liked Brock being a dick to 21 in the season premiere- yeah, we think of him as an okay guy, but he's hardly a model of empathy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

revolther posted:

I think they realized that the lack of any perceivable flaws allowed the legendary gringo Brock Sampson to quickly grow into something bigger than them. Like they know Brock has become something the comicon crowd equates to near Bond level unbelievable badass in such a crazy short amount of time that they have to leave it alone not to mess it up. Like they've managed to let Brock humiliate cultural male icons, best "Reed Richards" and a bunch of other one-off parodies, leave "GI Joe" for being too ineffectual; plot wise he is a golden goose we will happily accept making GBS threads on the chest of our favorite comic characters.

They've done a good job resisting the temptation to make it the Brock is Awesome masturbation hour. I imagine cartoon network wants more Brock, I enjoy his cameo's, but it's understandable that Doc and Jackson don't just want The Fonz to come say, "aye", every episode.

Not a lot of TV characters are that catalyzing, especially from a cartoon. The only other recent comparison I can think of is Nick Offerman's Ron Swanson; he knows he has something and you can tell he's trying to slowly grow it without blowing it.

That might be part of it.

My theory is that this season's theme, though, is that Dr. Venture is a ridiculous failure, and someone is going to come out of nowhere to bail him out each time - without anyone noticing. Everyone around Doc is becoming a better person, almost to make up for Rusty.

Also, it's clear that the Army rigged the iPad to blow up both Venturestein remotely, and Doc afterwards, to get rid of the evidence. Right?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Something that's been bugging me : when cornered by the abominations at the end, Doc says that Venturestein was once a henchman to two people in butterfly costumes. I see the Monarch, but who's the other one?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X_Toad posted:

Something that's been bugging me : when cornered by the abominations at the end, Doc says that Venturestein was once a henchman to two people in butterfly costumes. I see the Monarch, but who's the other one?

Dr. Mrs. The Monarch

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

X_Toad posted:

The Monarch and The Monarch.

He was two henchmen.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Pope Guilty posted:

I liked Brock being a dick to 21 in the season premiere- yeah, we think of him as an okay guy, but he's hardly a model of empathy.

Hell, if anything I thought he was being nice. No, you can't loving come join our spy organization just like that, dude it doesn't work like that. But we don't need this poo poo anymore, so here's the keys!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
In season 2? Before the wedding?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

X_Toad posted:

He was two henchmen to the Monarch. The top of his head is from a different guy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X_Toad posted:

Venture does not care, and he might have been alive during season one before Monarch got arrested.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

revolther posted:

I like it when they show Brock being a badass even if he barely lifts a finger. Like how he carjacks Myra or when he effortly tosses a knife in the middle of the woods and manages to wound something. Hell, the way he broke free from the pirate ghosts in season one.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Action Tortoise posted:

I like it when they show Brock being a badass even if he barely lifts a finger. Like how he carjacks Myra or when he effortly tosses a knife in the middle of the woods and manages to wound something. Hell, the way he broke free from the pirate ghosts in season one.

I like it when he decapitates someone using a shark.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

X_Toad posted:

No, two henchmen. The guy who we get a POV from in "Viva los Muertos," and the black henchman whose scalp he now has.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Red posted:

Also, it's clear that the Army rigged the iPad to blow up both Venturestein remotely, and Doc afterwards, to get rid of the evidence. Right?

I don't think so? The whole idea was the jPad was stuffed full of explosives, so I don't see how they'd be able to have a second explosion from it after the first one to take out Venturestein destroyed it. Would the army have cared if Rusty got caught in the explosion too? Probably not, but I don't think that was an actual part of their plan.

Also, another addition to the 'I like Hatred' party. He's just so excitable and endearing!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RandallODim posted:

I don't think so? The whole idea was the jPad was stuffed full of explosives, so I don't see how they'd be able to have a second explosion from it after the first one to take out Venturestein destroyed it. Would the army have cared if Rusty got caught in the explosion too? Probably not, but I don't think that was an actual part of their plan.

Also, another addition to the 'I like Hatred' party. He's just so excitable and endearing!

I thought the jpad triggered the explosives in Venturstein? So it could have been the thing was then triggered to explode after he triggered the jpad.

I also like Hatred. He is just so happy to be around people who tolerate him and he seems to really care for the boys and not in his usual way.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Here's the jPad explosion scene:

As you can see, Venturestein didn't explode.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The general flatout said the jpad contained explosives. That's why Hank planted it in that tree, he was trying to use it as a timebomb.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I hope Venturestein and crew become a side story arc, kind of like JJ and the pirate captain. Adventures of Venturestein!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Action Tortoise posted:

Like how he carjacks Myra

This will always be one of my favorite Brock moves. Anyone have a gif of it?

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

I made a gif of it just a few weeks ago:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Delaio posted:

I made a gif of it just a few weeks ago:

loving awesome! Thank you! I love the zen tai chi way he gets into position.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Oh Snapple! posted:

The general flatout said the jpad contained explosives. That's why Hank planted it in that tree, he was trying to use it as a timebomb.

I guess I need to watch that part again.

I had thought the iPad activated a failsafe bomb inside Venturestein, that can be detonated by a signal from the pad - the cherry icon. Then Rusty just has to run like hell. I just got the impression the Army wanted the Venturestein and Venture out of the way, or, at least wanted the iPad there to take out Venturestein if (when) Rusty failed.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nah, he told him to run away. Seems like he didn't want to kill him.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

X_Toad posted:

She was still around as Dr Girlfriend, I just assumed he didn't want to bother saying 'henchman to one person in a butterfly costume and another person who wears a butterfly costume now but didn't way back then'. I guess it could be the two henchmen thing too but that doesn't match up very well with the way he worded it.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Red posted:

I guess I need to watch that part again.

I had thought the iPad activated a failsafe bomb inside Venturestein, that can be detonated by a signal from the pad - the cherry icon. Then Rusty just has to run like hell. I just got the impression the Army wanted the Venturestein and Venture out of the way, or, at least wanted the iPad there to take out Venturestein if (when) Rusty failed.

I thought that at first too, but on a second watch last night, I noticed that the general said the jPad was loaded with explosives, the cherry icon just activates those. There's no bomb in Venturestein.

Also, I'm pretty sure Congresswoman Gillian Jacobs calls it an iPod before she explodes. The jPad didn't kill her, Apple did!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

RandallODim posted:

Count me in!

I got sad today reading a review of the first episode by a guy who believes that Hatred has over-stayed his welcome, that he isn't funny anymore and that he should be replaced by Garry.

bobkatt013 posted:

I also like Hatred. He is just so happy to be around people who tolerate him and he seems to really care for the boys and not in his usual way.
I think the best thing with Hatred is that he loves his job and the people he 'works' with. I'm still expecting Hatred to bond in a somewhat meaningful way with Dean, in only to contrast Brock who is more closely linked to Hank. Also Dean seems to be the Venture boy who could really use some nurture from a parent figure.

misguided rage posted:

She was still around as Dr Girlfriend, I just assumed he didn't want to bother saying 'henchman to one person in a butterfly costume and another person who wears a butterfly costume now but didn't way back then'. I guess it could be the two henchmen thing too but that doesn't match up very well with the way he worded it.
My main beef is more that the Monarch was actually operating alone at the time, Dr. Girlfriend hadn't reunited with him publicly.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

X_Toad posted:

My main beef is more that the Monarch was actually operating alone at the time, Dr. Girlfriend hadn't reunited with him publicly.
Does that seem like the kind of thing Rusty would care about though? Even at the time I can't see him paying much attention to the Monarch's relationship status, much less bothering to remember now what it was back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Having just rewatched the episode, it was definitely just a badly phrased line. The lines are supposed to parse as "He was a henchman for some prick in a butterfly costume! Two [henchmen] actually!" Because Venturestein was technically two henchmen, who are now one Venturestein.