Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bisticles posted:

Anybody been able to get their hands on the Samyang 24mm?
The-Digital-Picture posted their review a week or so ago. They weren't terribly impressed with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Wow... those samples are atrocious.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bisticles posted:

Wow... those samples are atrocious.
Keep in mind that they're directly comparing it to one of the sharpest lenses Canon has ever produced, so it's not exactly a fair fight.

Also you probably wouldn't be shooting wide open like that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Keep in mind that they're directly comparing it to one of the sharpest lenses Canon has ever produced, so it's not exactly a fair fight.

Also you probably wouldn't be shooting wide open like that.

Yeah, but even at f/8 it's kinda lovely compared to the canon. Half the price though.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Disappointing showing from the Koreans there. Their 35mm 1.4 set the bar really high. Equalling or bettering the 35mm L in pretty much all areas except "bokeh quality" at a third of the price.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I just bought a 6D (it was 30% off with the 24-105L, how could I not?!) - and it turns out the provided software really hosed up not only my computer, but the rest of the network.

As long as "Canon EOS UPNP Service" was running, all computers had trouble using the network - the wireless routers were unusable, pings between devices (not running the service) on the wired network were in the 3-4 digit milliseconds, and it lasted until I killed the service.

Great job Canon! :cheers:

I've been running around rebooting everything for hours, and was on my way to do a test of the wiring in all the network cables when I stumbled over the process

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A drat shame about their tilt shift, because the Samyang 24mm/1.4 is pretty drat good.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

dorkanoid posted:

I just bought a 6D (it was 30% off with the 24-105L, how could I not?!) - and it turns out the provided software really hosed up not only my computer, but the rest of the network.

As long as "Canon EOS UPNP Service" was running, all computers had trouble using the network - the wireless routers were unusable, pings between devices (not running the service) on the wired network were in the 3-4 digit milliseconds, and it lasted until I killed the service.

I've been running around rebooting everything for hours, and was on my way to do a test of the wiring in all the network cables when I stumbled over the process

Holy poo poo. I thought I was the only one. Killing the Canon wireless transfer program worked for me.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Wow I can see why the 24TS has such a reputation.

The price to performance of the samyang TS when stopped down to f8 seems to be quite fair to be honest.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ShotgunWillie posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought I was the only one. Killing the Canon wireless transfer program worked for me.
If the Canon wireless transfer works via UPnP, is there some third party solution for it? Or is there any indication of Lightroom possibly enabling wireless transfers in future?

--edit: Tried the DLNA option and I can access the SD card of my 6D over the network, but it appears to show poo poo, because the photos are all RAW. :(

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 15, 2013

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, but even at f/8 it's kinda lovely compared to the canon. Half the price though.

I've been wondering about something like this. Does stopping down the aperture improve the image quality over lovely optics and lenses? Like, will a top of the line Canon lens that is shooting at 2.8 always be better than a knock-off lens that costs a tenth as much shooting at 22?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Boneitis posted:

I've been wondering about something like this. Does stopping down the aperture improve the image quality over lovely optics and lenses? Like, will a top of the line Canon lens that is shooting at 2.8 always be better than a knock-off lens that costs a tenth as much shooting at 22?

At 22, you'll start running into diffraction effects. Image quality is affected by lens aberrations at low f-numbers, and diffraction at high f-numbers. The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle, usually somewhere around f/8 or f/10. How the different lenses compare would require some sperging out over MTF charts that don't matter anyway because most of my photos end up compressed to hell on Facebook. I've gotten great results from my kit lens at f/10.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Boneitis posted:

Well, it's not quite that simple. Generally lenses will be at their sharpest around f8 or so, but sharpness varies across the image plane, so a lens that is tack sharp in the center even at 1.8 can be softer around the corners. There are also factors like chromatic aberration, lens flare and bokeh quality. So while a cheap lens may be just as sharp in the center at f8 as an expensive lens is at f2, that's not really a fair comparison.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What's that really, really good Samyang (I remember it's wide, but I can't remember how wide) that had basically better quality than all the Canon lineup?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

If the Canon wireless transfer works via UPnP, is there some third party solution for it? Or is there any indication of Lightroom possibly enabling wireless transfers in future?

--edit: Tried the DLNA option and I can access the SD card of my 6D over the network, but it appears to show poo poo, because the photos are all RAW. :(

Having the same problem, I'll just make do without that feature I think.

However, one sentence 6D review: usable pictures at ISO12800 WTF?!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HookShot posted:

What's that really, really good Samyang (I remember it's wide, but I can't remember how wide) that had basically better quality than all the Canon lineup?

The 35mm F/1.4

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

The 35mm F/1.4

Ah cool, thanks!

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
Is it just me or is the Canon refurb site down? I honestly can't tell because I have been busy ripping adware and virus poo poo off my computer. That is the last time I let somebody else use it.

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

CrushedWill posted:

Is it just me or is the Canon refurb site down? I honestly can't tell because I have been busy ripping adware and virus poo poo off my computer. That is the last time I let somebody else use it.

It is surely acting strange. If I go to the link I have for the refurb cameras directly it just hangs, but if I go to http://shop.usa.canon.com/ and click cameras/refurbs it works just like normal.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

outcast_p posted:

It is surely acting strange. If I go to the link I have for the refurb cameras directly it just hangs, but if I go to http://shop.usa.canon.com/ and click cameras/refurbs it works just like normal.

Thanks for confirming, at least it's not just me.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

HookShot posted:

I think you actually mean the 14, there were some comparison shots on here and the result was amazing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be doing a bit of night landscape photography coming up and I don't really have any great wide angle lenses. I was looking to grab something from LensRentals to try out; does anyone have a recommendation between the Sigma 8-16 4.5-5.6, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Canon 10-20 3.5-4.5, and Tokina 11-16 2.8 (shooting with an XSi)? I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't be using a tripod for these shots so I guess I'd be looking for the sharpest lens?

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm going to be doing a bit of night landscape photography coming up and I don't really have any great wide angle lenses. I was looking to grab something from LensRentals to try out; does anyone have a recommendation between the Sigma 8-16 4.5-5.6, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Canon 10-20 3.5-4.5, and Tokina 11-16 2.8 (shooting with an XSi)? I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't be using a tripod for these shots so I guess I'd be looking for the sharpest lens?

Since you're renting and the price difference between them is probably minimal, I'd go with the Canon 10-22. (Unless you need the extra wide angle that Sigma can offer) It was my favorite lens when I had a APS-C body, and was extremely sharp. My 17-40L is soft in comparison.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

If you're shooting handheld, at night, on an XSi, you'll want that f/2.8. The zoom range is limited but the f/2.8 will allow you to keep exposures firmly in hand-shakeless territory or maybe even on ISO 800. (which saves you from the horrors that are ISO 1600 on an XSi)

I used to shoot handheld with the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 on an XSi at night, now I use a 7D for that, and yeah. That f/2.8 goes a long way. It's a great lens, too.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
He said he won't be not using a tripod.

All these lenses are great when stopped down, would suggest getting the 8-16 for maximum width.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I love my 8-16 and primarily use it at 8 but it can be too wide for a lot of landscapes. I find it best for really tall things, or when you have something big in the foreground.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

dorkanoid posted:

Where did you get this for 30% off? I am hoping to pick one up around July/August if money is there. Man I would love to get that combo for 30% off.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Where did you get this for 30% off? I am hoping to pick one up around July/August if money is there. Man I would love to get that combo for 30% off.

It was in Norway, and the offer ended last Saturday - basically I got 6D + 24-105L for 16999 NOK, which google tells me is approximately 2970 USD - and I see B&H have it for 2400 USD ;)

Usually the camera costs around 15k NOK and the 24-105L around 7-8k NOK.

I just wish I'd picked up the 40mm f/2.8 while it cost 600 NOK after cashback :(

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

dorkanoid posted:

It was in Norway, and the offer ended last Saturday - basically I got 6D + 24-105L for 16999 NOK, which google tells me is approximately 2970 USD - and I see B&H have it for 2400 USD ;)

Usually the camera costs around 15k NOK and the 24-105L around 7-8k NOK.

I just wish I'd picked up the 40mm f/2.8 while it cost 600 NOK after cashback :(

Ah gotcha. I am thinking I will probably buy the kit .. unless I can get the body only for a bit less and be better off buying the 24-105 as a separate.

Also, concerning the UPNP issue with Canon software .. UPNP itself is a horrible horrible thing, so it doesn't surprise me it screwed up so badly. UPNP, to put it in plain words .. is total garbage.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 17, 2013

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

In a way, I wish Canon would go ahead and offer refurbed 6Ds. In another way, I hope they hold off as I don't have the cash for one at this point. Anybody have a guess what the price will be on a 6D refurb? I'm hoping about the same as a 5DMKII, but that might be a bit optimistic.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Ah gotcha. I am thinking I will probably buy the kit .. unless I can get the body only for a bit less and be better off buying the 24-105 as a separate.

Also, concerning the UPNP issue with Canon software .. UPNP itself is a horrible horrible thing, so it doesn't surprise me it screwed up so badly. UPNP, to put it in plain words .. is total garbage.

Yeah, my plan for my next camera is a 5Dmk3 with a Raspberry Pi built into the grip to use for wifi tethering instead of the Canon gizmo.

Combat Pretzel posted:

A drat shame about their tilt shift, because the Samyang 24mm/1.4 is pretty drat good.

Now what I'd like to see is the Samyang compared to the original Canon TS-E 24 as it has been know to be vastly inferior to the new version. I wonder which one is better.

I'm very disappointed though as the market could really use some affordable wide-angle TS options. I still would've chosen the Samyang over the 17-40L I had been using when I first got started with architecture.

I just sold my 10-22 and now I'm considering selling the 17-40 as well and replacing it with either the Samyang 35/1.4 or Sigma 35/1.4 and having all primes.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

woot fatigue posted:

Now what I'd like to see is the Samyang compared to the original Canon TS-E 24 as it has been know to be vastly inferior to the new version. I wonder which one is better.

I can't do a side-by-side comparison, but I can assure you that my 1st gen 24mm TS-E looks better at f/3.5 than that blurry mess of branches.

I don't have many samples of shots taken with that lens at f/3.5 where I wasn't intentionally trying to make part of the frame blurry... so my choices are limited. But here's one, unedited (taken with 5Dmk2). You can see plenty of CA, but it's reasonably sharp (for f/3.5). This is before any kind of CA-correction in Lightroom.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

woot fatigue posted:

I just sold my 10-22 and now I'm considering selling the 17-40 as well and replacing it with either the Samyang 35/1.4 or Sigma 35/1.4 and having all primes.

Both 35mm lenses you mention are really good. The Sigma in particular really sticks it to the 35mm L but if you don't absolutely need autofocus then saving some $$ going with the Samyang won't disappoint either.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Someone tell me the 6D is junk and I don't want it. I hate being poor at the moment.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Someone tell me the 6D is junk and I don't want it. I hate being poor at the moment.

It is junk, why the hell would you want it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

As far as the 35mm goes, you might want to have AF because it's easier to miss with the focus at 35mm than at 24mm. If you still want to go with the Samyang, you might want to consider modding it with a third party chip for focus confirmation, if you don't always want to check and zoom into your images whether you hit infinity correctly or not.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Sorry, can't do that.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sorry, can't do that.

You are cruel .. so cruel.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Ok I got this.

-Less than 100% viewfinder. but you can change focusing screens unlike the 5D3
-SD card only. slow burst rate means you only really need an SD card
-No joysick. you don't even get enough AF points to need one, heh

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I got your back.

Refurb Nikon D600 is the camera you want.
Cheaper
more focus points
more megapickles
more SD slots
more dynamic range
built-in wireless flash control
higher sync speed

or maybe you're loyal to Canon. Ok, then get a 5Dmk2.
cheaper
higher max shutter
higher sync
more metal
better video
better VF
CF is faster than SD

Comedy Fuji X-E1 option
cheaper
sweet primes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The 5Dmk2 does NOT have better video than the 6D. Though everything else about it is a lot better, especially the construction and how it feels in your hand. The 6D also has built-in wireless control, even though it was flaky as hell to use (with the Android app at least).

D600 would be my bet (I own one of these) and the dynamic range is pretty insane. Plus you get 2 high speed SD card slots.