Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Lord Humongus posted:

how the hell do you get any decent cert points in this game? at the rate im going with kills it will take me a life-time.

edit:also all the try now buttons for the guns don't work for me either. drat I really want to like this game but it just sucks being shot in the face all the time

edit: spawn -> shot in face -> spawn -> shot in face

Don't be a squishy infantryman unless you absolutely have to.

For the record, most people sit around 100-200XP/min (25-50 certs/hour). Pull force multipliers (MAXes, tanks, aircraft) every moment you can though and work up a 50% membership bonus, and ~400XP/min (100 certs/hour) isn't hard to achieve as a mediocre player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Naturally Selected posted:

Also, bringing back the ol' boogeyman for a second, since when does putting both AP barrels from a prowler into a ZOE max only get them to half health? Was pretty badly damaged when this max sprints towards me, eats both barrels basically point blank, and blows me up. Killscreen shows him at ~49% hp. Let's be honest here, that's horseshit. A max shouldn't be able to tank that much damage AND run around like a cracked-out rabbit. (I know it's NANITES or whatever, but nothing infantry-sized should be able to survive eating two 150mm kinetic penetrators to the face.)

AP damage vs MAXes makes 0 sense. A 150mm kinetic penetrator should turn the guy inside into jelly (the Vanguard is a 150mm, the Prowler's guns are 120mm). In PS1, MAXes were treated as vehicles for damage purposes, so anti-tank rockets and anti-tank weapons did tons of damage to them while they didn't do much to soft infanntry. Direct hits such as from an AP gun are considered "small arms" so that 1200x2 damage is reduced significantly to like 150-200. You will do I think what, 500 damage in splash (they get half a meter of splash for just such a thing)? And if he's rocking flak armor that's reduced to 250. I haven't tested if they take more or less damage from AP, I am pretty sure it's less though since they have like 80% or something crazy direct damage resist at the get-go.

Basically it's really dumb and they should have a negative resist versus AP weapons.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
:psyduck: That's so utterly ridiculous. This guy was in the 80s rank-wise, so I guess he had KE or Flak or some bullshit on top of zoe, but still. Two 120mm (confused the two in my previous post) at near-point blank range should make a max disappear into a fine pink mist. Forget revives, poo poo should just despawn completely.

Ed: Also, the 120mm one-shots infantry with a body hit. That makes even less sense.

VVVV Doesn't matter. A max that's not shielding or being repaired should not survive two 120mm KP's to the face, period.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 17, 2013

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Also, bringing back the ol' boogeyman for a second, since when does putting both AP barrels from a prowler into a ZOE max only get them to half health? Was pretty badly damaged when this max sprints towards me, eats both barrels basically point blank, and blows me up. Killscreen shows him at ~49% hp. Let's be honest here, that's horseshit. A max shouldn't be able to tank that much damage AND run around like a cracked-out rabbit. (I know it's NANITES or whatever, but nothing infantry-sized should be able to survive eating two 150mm kinetic penetrators to the face.)

Don't trust the killscreen. It's unreliable at best.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If people are having crappy frame rates, just playing with PS2 settings might be all you need to do. I have a 3570k and a 560ti and I rarely see below 40fps even in the largest battles with everything set on high, with my averages being in the 60+fps @ 1080p. I tried setting it to "Low" as suggested just to see, and noticed my FPS barely stayed at 30. It was like a slideshow when I got into a big battle.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Yeah, either the killscreen was inaccurate or one of your shots only landed in the (incredibly small since it's AP) splash range. Two direct hits with vanguard/magrider HEAT will down any MAX, ZOE or not, so while two shots from the prowler AP probably won't one-shot, it would definitely do more than 51% damage.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

folgore posted:

Yeah, either the killscreen was inaccurate or one of your shots only landed in the (incredibly small since it's AP) splash range. Two direct hits with vanguard/magrider HEAT will down any MAX, ZOE or not, so while two shots from the prowler AP probably won't one-shot, it would definitely do more than 51% damage.

Guy was about 8m away. I landed both shots square into his upper chest. I'm not exceptionally upset about being killed, I'm just really not seeing the logic behind "well this supremely *armored* infantry tank can shrug off *armor piercing* rounds because.... NANITES!" Two hits from the prowler AP will take out any ESF and light a lib on fire. And it seems a goddamn infantry unit, that's supposedly trading armor for speed and increased damage, survives what a fighter does not. :psyduck:

Then again, I absolutely fail to see a reason for MAXes to exist or for them to avoid any kind of lock-on fire while being, for all intents and purposes, walking tanks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I landed both shots square into his upper chest.

This doesn't necessarily mean that you did any damage. I can't count the number of times I'll hit something with an AV turret, see an explosion, and not do jack poo poo.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Philthy posted:

If people are having crappy frame rates, just playing with PS2 settings might be all you need to do. I have a 3570k and a 560ti and I rarely see below 40fps even in the largest battles with everything set on high, with my averages being in the 60+fps @ 1080p. I tried setting it to "Low" as suggested just to see, and noticed my FPS barely stayed at 30. It was like a slideshow when I got into a big battle.
How does that make any sense, why are lower settings or worse textures actually worse for performance. This game. :psyduck::soe:

I have an OC'd AMD Phenom 4X at about 3.8 GHz, a GTX 570, and 32 GB RAM and the game runs pretty respectably at lowish settings (except the things that inexplicably need to be highish), usually in the 30-60 range with big battles dipping to 25-30ish. I'm able to go on huge killstreaks after some heavy tweaks but I still occasionally get hosed over by performance. It's far, far better now than it was at launch, but it still isn't good. I'd blame the graphics card but I'm never, ever, ever GPU-locked so it almost certainly makes no difference over just having a fairly crappy CPU.

They really need to work on CPU load for the overall long-term health of the game. That we can recognize CPU issues and try to improve on them is fine and all but the average F2P player has some piece of poo poo that might have an okay CPU, possibly, if they're marginally purchase-savvy. The game does pretty okay with its GPU load, which is important for F2P-tier setups, but the game is desperately chugging in CPU terms and that has to be offputting to people with worse computers.

I know there's no way this game can run like League of Legends or something else just due to what it is, but it needs to run better so that new blood isn't discouraged by crappy framerates. A F2P person checking the game out isn't going to waste a bunch of time optimizing graphics settings or tweaking their CPU, and they sure as hell aren't going to upgrade their processor/mobo combo just for one game. They're going to quit. And then we have less mans to shoot.

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

Lord Humongus posted:

how the hell do you get any decent cert points in this game? at the rate im going with kills it will take me a life-time.

edit:also all the try now buttons for the guns don't work for me either. drat I really want to like this game but it just sucks being shot in the face all the time

Support classes, as others have said. You can make bank repairing MAXes or reviving folks, especially if they are in your squad. As for the weapon trials, you have to be alive when you click the try now button, stupidly enough. Might not be that, but that's the most common reason.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Lord Humongus posted:

The default gun for the Lightning basically prints certs wholesale if you can find a good short to mid range fight with a bunch of infantry and enough cover to protect you from being overwhelmed. Between using the Lightning and the Vanguard much more frequently my K/D has risen from ~1.5 to 1.71 in the last couple weeks, with both of them finally passing my Reaver as my most used vehicle. I highly recommend it; the Lightning in particular is probably averaging a 20/1 k/d for me these last few weeks, and one day I went on a 50 kill streak without dying over the course of 1.5 hours or so. It's a wonderful vehicle and I think vastly underrated by the general playerbase; just stay clear of any MBTs that are looking at you and try to keep an eye out for Harassers because they can actually keep up with you when you move to withdraw and deal a lot of damage to boot.

Elsewise, good Sunderer placement with the AMS certification unlocked and equipped to the Sunderer will get you a lot of certs as well; each tick for a spawn is small, but at a pitched battle of 48+ vs. 48+, you will probably see the XP alert pop up constantly.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 17, 2013

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Humongus posted:

1. Play Engineer
2. Buy the -S gun for your faction that allows an under barrel grenade launcher
3. Find a location where you are away from the bad mans but where you can shoot grenade to make red circle show up
4. Place an ammo pack
5. Keep shooting grenades until you stop seeing red circles

Edit: Basically this

Coach Sport posted:

Engineer Stage 1: Feeding MAXs ammo biscuits and repairs and participating in front-line fighting with your squad, only deploying your ammo turret and underslung grenade launcher occasionally. Mines only occasionally used on approaching armor. Sometimes you repair friendly vehicles!

Engineer Stage 2: Hanging back from the fight on supports and hills, firing underslung grenades into masses of infantry. You only use your ammo packs for yourself now, and you strictly reserve your mines in case you manage to sneak up on a tank or sunderer. You don't repair MAXs or turrets anymore. Your gun is useless now except as a platform for your grenade launcher.

Engineer Stage 3: Crazy man in the mountains. You have fully certed out your flash radar, AV turret and reaver ejection seat, and now no longer operate anywhere near your team. You decide the course of battles single-handedly from afar with your rocket turret, and operate so far behind enemy lines that anyone that happens to see you simply assumes you're one of them, making them easy prey for your shotgun. The kobalt on your flash acts as your sniper rifle, and its radar gives you the advantage in every situation. You've switched out your mines for anti-personnel mines and use them to fortify your mountain fortress against adversaries. You no longer have any need for squads or teammates.

Engineer Stage 4: You pick up a second engineer to ride in the rumble seat of your flash, and deploy AV turrets side by side. You form a squad with him and place a spawn beacon in your mountain fortress. You are now unstoppable.

DrPlump fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 17, 2013

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Hog Jowls posted:

Support classes, as others have said. You can make bank repairing MAXes or reviving folks, especially if they are in your squad. \

Pretty much this. I did the odd thing and went engy - ammo pack is fairly expensive to upgrade but brings in nice XP if you are plopping it down all the time, and now that we pull MAXes repairing them is really nice XP. When you then turn around and buy whatever carbine the under-barrel grenade launcher is for, the upgrade ammo packs mesh well with that (since you drop one all the time in order to resupply yourself, but then it stays and other folks use it). Once you get some support class decently certed out you have a way to farm certs to get your other classes/vehicles up to where you want them.

Default vehicles aren't all that good anymore at bringing certs in due to all the AV that's around, but if you get get in a gunner position on a good tank or harasser that's a great way to rake in certs via kills. Although ZOE is supposed to change in some way soon, if you are VS I'd pick up the 2nd comet arm (250 certs) and the first level of ZOE and just go around as a glass cannon. Vehicle kill/assists are the best XP in the game, and dual comets are a cheap way to get that them. I wouldn't be totally aggressive though - without a good suit slot and ZOE only at level 1 you are literally a glass cannon, but dual comets with ZOE you should be able to get some hits on vehicles before they go down, and also volley fire at infantry to good effect.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Last night, I pulled the classic drop from a galleon with no ammo in a MAX routine. Ended up chasing a bunch of guys around and backhanding them with my big empty purple comets. This all culminated with me laying the smackdown on a poor defenseless NC MAX that just flailed around as he backed into a corner.

I don't think people will ever stop complaining about ZOE until it's removed completely. Even if it gave you no damage increase and made you take triple damage, people would still run away all the time just due to the psychological effect of a big purple mech bearing down on you.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 17, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DrPlump posted:

Edit: Basically this

Engineer Stage 1: Feeding MAXs ammo biscuits and repairs and participating in front-line fighting with your squad, only deploying your ammo turret and underslung grenade launcher occasionally. Mines only occasionally used on approaching armor. Sometimes you repair friendly vehicles!

Engineer Stage 2: Hanging back from the fight on supports and hills, firing underslung grenades into masses of infantry. You only use your ammo packs for yourself now, and you strictly reserve your mines in case you manage to sneak up on a tank or sunderer. You don't repair MAXs or turrets anymore. Your gun is useless now except as a platform for your grenade launcher.

Engineer Stage 3: Crazy man in the mountains. You have fully certed out your flash radar, AV turret and reaver ejection seat, and now no longer operate anywhere near your team. You decide the course of battles single-handedly from afar with your rocket turret, and operate so far behind enemy lines that anyone that happens to see you simply assumes you're one of them, making them easy prey for your shotgun. The kobalt on your flash acts as your sniper rifle, and its radar gives you the advantage in every situation. You've switched out your mines for anti-personnel mines and use them to fortify your mountain fortress against adversaries. You no longer have any need for squads or teammates.

Engineer Stage 4: You pick up a second engineer to ride in the rumble seat of your flash, and deploy AV turrets side by side. You form a squad with him and place a spawn beacon in your mountain fortress. You are now unstoppable.

For a while I did a bunch of Mountain Man Engineer, though people are getting better at realizing what is hurting them and withdrawing in time. I've recently augmented my play by taking 5 minutes to set out tank traps (1 C4 and 1 tank mine) before doing anything else. On defense, go to the next potential base in line and then set your traps between the two bases somewhere; on offense, travel behind enemy lines and deploy them along high travel areas or at vehicle spawners. The only downsides are that if you die and tap or redeploy the C4 goes away, and you don't have the explosives you would need to suicide charge an enemy Sunderer, but the joy of suddenly getting a random popup telling you that you killed a magrider and both occupants somewhere 3000m away and probably reset their vehicle timer to max is a beautiful thing. :3:

e: Going back to cert printing, buy a G2A rocket launcher for your Heavy Assault, they are cheap with certs (250) and you can rack in a lot of crit kill assists and kills using them.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Ghostly AV MANA turrets bombarding everything safely from the tops of every mountain are getting so old.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I made a pretty big carepost on reddit about the upcoming GU11 resource cost changes, and my thoughts on them after thinking for a few days.

Reposting it here:

Westy543 posted:

I've been thinking a bunch about GU11 since the patch notes preview. Here are some of my compiled thoughts... I didn't really sleep last night, so I apologize if my sentences are a bit rambly.

So someone mentioned an interesting point about this; skilled players who are already good, and have sunk certs into their respective favorite vehicles, are likely going to keep them alive for long periods of time. I've put about 16k into my Vanguard, so I'll use that as an example. If somebody pulls a mostly stock Prowler, or one with a few hundred certs into it at best, that's not going to survive against mine. Not only do I have a lot of experience in killing Prowlers, my tank is significantly certed to suit my playstyle.

This, in a similar way, could apply to a dedicated ESF pilot. A friend of mine's a pretty good Reaver pilot. He knows his sky chariot like the back of his hand, and knows when to run and when to stay. They'll know how to engage a Mosquito versus say a Scythe, how to accommodate for various builds, so on and so forth.

What does this all break down to? It encourages people to play what they've certed into, instead of grabbing a tank or Liberator, suiciding it into an enemy AMS, hopping out and tank mining the Sunderer, then doing that again 10 minutes later because you spent some certs on re-pull timer. People certing into things that fit their playstyles? It's a callback to Planetside 1's cert system where you could only use what equipment you certed into. A system like this is flexible and lets people try out everything - you CAN grab a Scythe stock, you'll probably lose to a more experienced pilot. Did you like the taste of flying? You can keep certing your Scythe up and practicing and BE that better pilot.

Taking specific resource-intensive bases will have a strategic benefit for the first time since early beta. Are you noticing a shortage of Mosquitos in the sky? Does your empire own an Amp Station? No? Better fix that or pull extra Skyguards / Bursters if you have a Bio Lab or Amp Station. Just like how when not owning a tech plant - you are VERY unlikely to see a Vanguard/Prowler/Magrider up at the front line since they'll have to repull from warpgate. Do you own two tech plants? You should notice an abundance of friendly MBTs from all the extra vehicle resources coming in.

For those who are primarily vehicle specialists, like myself, step back and see how everything plays out and how the final tuning hits live with this. It may not actually be the end of the world, and a big improvement. It might also actually be the end of the world. But I think this is a step back into PS1 age depth and logistics, and I'm willing to trust them with this. I'm not saying the resource system doesn't need an overhaul (it's a bit weird at the moment), but this is a good start on that.

Infantry have always been the deciding factor in fights, ever since PS1. Vehicles didn't lock down spawns and shell bases endlessly, they controlled land and focused on killing things outdoors. They were a means to get infantry into the bases. Infantry focused groups are more likely to save their mechanized resources for Sunderers rather than Harassers or MBTs.

Yes, the losing factions are going to have a rough time (this is why resources need to be re-tuned towards global play and not continent play - hello metagame) but that's a good thing. Lattice, that we all asked for, is built towards this. As you push towards the enemy's warpgate, you decrease their strategic options while increasing your own. That's what taking away their big resource generators does and gives them even MORE reason to defend facilities. This is moving towards the depth and metagame we've been screaming for since release.

TL;DR the resource cost increases may be a good thing, because it's not lowering the skill ceiling of the game, it's simply encouraging people to play what they cert into instead of grabbing whatever is the best rock-paper-scissors option en masse at the moment.

*I still think 150 for a Flash is a bit much especially when you can cert away the timer completely.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
In response to the up above discussion about tank shells into ZOE maxes. Yeah, even 3 doesn't kill them. I've maxed anchor mode and I'm pretty good at direct hitting infantry, and there have been several times lately that I've got 2-3 shots on a ZOE max, be that with an AP or a HEAT, and they just walk away like it's nothing. Bunch of crap if you ask me, since they can sit on top of towers or behind rocks with dual comets and just wreck poo poo while strafing left and right.

RykSOTO
Jun 6, 2013

Unoriginality posted:

If the in game description isn't lying, TR bursters just got 35% better. Jesus loving Christ, Sony.

TR bursters are a pretty mixed blessing, great as long as targets stay is front, but in practice my targets rarley do. I'd trade for ZOE.

(if you see a tr max in lock down just fly behind them and shoot them in the back.)

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

Kayle7 posted:

In response to the up above discussion about tank shells into ZOE maxes. Yeah, even 3 doesn't kill them. I've maxed anchor mode and I'm pretty good at direct hitting infantry, and there have been several times lately that I've got 2-3 shots on a ZOE max, be that with an AP or a HEAT, and they just walk away like it's nothing. Bunch of crap if you ask me, since they can sit on top of towers or behind rocks with dual comets and just wreck poo poo while strafing left and right.

It's some sort of bug then if they truly are direct hits, since I promise even two direct hits from either of those will destroy a ZOE MAX. One takes nearly all of your health as it is. Near misses you can sustain a few of if you have maxed out flak armor.

I have to wonder if there isn't some sort of problem with client performance for some people, since I have no problems hitting or killing ZOE MAXes in either vehicles or on foot. Frankly, I prefer seeing a ZOE MAX on the opposing side, they go down much quicker are do an excellent job of highlighting their location at all times.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Kayle7 posted:

In response to the up above discussion about tank shells into ZOE maxes. Yeah, even 3 doesn't kill them.

3 Direct hits from any of the 3 guns on a prowler should kill a MAX ZOE or not. I don't know who claimed direct hit tank rounds get drastically reduced because it counts as a small arms fire or whatever because that simply isn't true. 1 HEAT round from a vanguard hurts a MAX quite significantly ~66% damage done if I had to guess.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Gazaar posted:

Ghostly AV MANA turrets bombarding everything safely from the tops of every mountain are getting so old.

Flying up cliffs and shooting them in the face never gets old :getin:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Traveller posted:

Flying up cliffs and shooting them in the face never gets old :getin:

If you can figure out which mountain they're on, they can just about be literally anywhere.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Gazaar posted:

If you can figure out which mountain they're on, they can just about be literally anywhere.

Point, but climbing any cliff as an LA during a push usually gets me a bunch of engineers, HAs and infiltrators looking down and not to the sides. AP mine hazard is mostly theoretical when you can pop them at range with a carbine or fly behind their backs and shotgun them.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Traveller posted:

Point, but climbing any cliff as an LA during a push usually gets me a bunch of engineers, HAs and infiltrators looking down and not to the sides. AP mine hazard is mostly theoretical when you can pop them at range with a carbine or fly behind their backs and shotgun them.

Why would you do this when you can just knife them, you make no noise that way!

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Gazaar posted:

ESF radar doesn't detect them either for some reason. :soe:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hog Jowls posted:

It's some sort of bug then if they truly are direct hits, since I promise even two direct hits from either of those will destroy a ZOE MAX. One takes nearly all of your health as it is. Near misses you can sustain a few of if you have maxed out flak armor.

I have to wonder if there isn't some sort of problem with client performance for some people, since I have no problems hitting or killing ZOE MAXes in either vehicles or on foot. Frankly, I prefer seeing a ZOE MAX on the opposing side, they go down much quicker are do an excellent job of highlighting their location at all times.

1. You can aim. 2. The MAX isn't somewhere far with an engie, but is within say 5-15m. 3. You see both shots impact. 4. You get full hit markers on both. If 1-4 are satisfied, they're not near misses, they're not "client performance" and they're not glitches. Happened to me a few more times, all with BR80+ maxes. Guessing that huge disadvantage in armor being covered by KA5 or Flak 5. That's nice for them.

Aside from ZOE though, I just find it ridiculous that somehow two 120mm or a 150mm KP to the chest don't kill maxes. I can dig HEAT/HE taking more to kill, but really, :soe:? A max is the only armored unit in the game that's not susceptible to AP rounds?

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Aside from ZOE though, I just find it ridiculous that somehow two 120mm or a 150mm KP to the chest don't kill maxes. I can dig HEAT/HE taking more to kill, but really, :soe:? A max is the only armored unit in the game that's not susceptible to AP rounds?

MAXes aren't vehicles either, though. :v:

the joke is that :soe:'s dumb game probably requires an object declaring it's a vehicle to take AP damage

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

Kayle7 posted:

ESF radar doesn't detect them either for some reason. :soe:

What ? ...are you telling me that enginers on a turret dont show on radar ?
I dont fly so i dont know, but im an engineer so i always assumed that i would be easy prey for ESFs with radar.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Micr0chiP posted:

What ? ...are you telling me that enginers on a turret dont show on radar ?
I dont fly so i dont know, but im an engineer so i always assumed that i would be easy prey for ESFs with radar.

Yep! Cheese away. If you are using the turret, you don't show up on the radar.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Kayle7 posted:

Yep! Cheese away. If you are using the turret, you don't show up on the radar.

I did not know this, that poo poo is bananas.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Yeah, the AV turret basically comes with vehicle stealth built in. It's pretty annoying. You can track them by sound if you happen to be nearby, or by seeing the missiles. But air isn't as helpful against well-hidden ones as one might wish.

It's basically like sitting on a Vehicle Stealth flash hides you from radar :v:

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

1. You can aim. 2. The MAX isn't somewhere far with an engie, but is within say 5-15m. 3. You see both shots impact. 4. You get full hit markers on both. If 1-4 are satisfied, they're not near misses, they're not "client performance" and they're not glitches. Happened to me a few more times, all with BR80+ maxes. Guessing that huge disadvantage in armor being covered by KA5 or Flak 5. That's nice for them.

I really don't see how that set of conditions rules out client performance or glitches in the slightest. Much like when you occasionally run merrily through an AP mine which detonates but fails to do damage. Being directly struck by a Prowler round with ZOE active does over half my health consistently, though yes, under ordinary circumstances it takes 3 rounds from a Prowler to kill a non-ZOE MAX, which is probably a bit silly.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Hog Jowls posted:

Whatever it is, something isn't right. I hit a ZOE max dead-on with a decimator yesterday and it still gunned me down and then scuttled off to do whatever it is that ZOE maxes do (wipe out entire squads of infantry unscathed). In my experience, they don't go down any easier than normal MAXes, and they dish out seemingly twice the firepower, chase you around corners, and insta-gib you from clear across rooms if they so much as spot you.

I also hit a ZOE a few times with the Enforcer yesterday and it also waddled off unscathed, but I don't know how many enforcer hits it would take to down a MAX. Do we even have any tank weapons left that do area damage? I'm tired of having to be pinpoint accurate with my explosive TANK rounds.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
Crossposting from the GOKU thread:

Daysvala posted:

It's overpowered in the sense that it's much, much better than the other MAX abilities. But that's not an issue with ZOE, it's an issue with the other MAX abilities being absolutely terrible and unfun.

The real reason everybody thinks ZOE is overpowered is that, especially with SOE making health bars not show outside of 10 meters, there is no feedback that would allow opposing players to see just how much damage they're doing when they shoot us. Yeah, an NC heavy with a Gauss SAW won't be able to kill me, but he will do a lot of damage to me if he's allowed to fire for more than a second. ZOE is no more overpowered in a 1v1 situation than any other MAX is, and in a group situation it can be as much of a detriment as it is a benefit because of the increased damage taken from focused fire.

Math:
After GU11, I think I'm going to start running away from NC Heavies. A Gauss SAW with Nanoweave 5 and resist shield will pose a credible threat to a solo ZOE MAX. 200 Damage bullets - 30% (80% base small arms resistance - 50% ZOE debuff) means Gauss SAW bullets will be doing 140 damage 500 times a minute. In other words, it'll only take 15 bullets (2000 / 140 = 14.2, round up) to kill my ZOE MAX assuming every shot lands (a reasonable scenario, given the large hitbox of a MAX). At 500 rounds a minute, it will only take ~2 seconds of sustained fire to murder a MAX.

These numbers only apply if everything goes live the way it is on the test server, and afaik we still don't know precisely how much reduction of the damage debuff extra ranks in ZOE will give us, but worst case scenario it will still only take 5 or 6 extra rounds to kill a ZOE MAX, or maybe an extra second of sustained fire. It'll also take a little extra time to kill at extreme ranges, but the superior ranged ability of a Gauss SAW over blueshifts, or, god forbid, other VS MAX weapons means that practically speaking you should always come out ahead of a ZOE MAX at range post GU11.

Kinetic Armor really doesn't improve this situation, and I do NOT recommend taking it post GU11 for anyone, unless Desideratus or A Tartan Tory decide it's actually somehow really useful practically. Take Flak Armor instead and eat a rocket or two.

That Nanoweave 5 heavy with resist shield is also only taking (assuming blueshifts) ~100 damage (167 (ZOE damage boost factored in) - 40% from resist shield) 550 times a second, which with 1250 health means it'll take ~13 bullets to down him, (how much time of sustained fire to kill this will take is hard to calculate, but it will probably be upwards of 2 or 3 seconds with average aiming skills) which because of his smaller hitbox means he'll probably do far more damage overall to me than I will to him before he bites it.

Basically, if you want to murder the poo poo out of a ZOE MAX post GU11, grab a heavy assault, grab a Gauss SAW, and put that fucker in the ground.

Post GU11, grab yourself a Gauss SAW, Nanoweave 5 and resist shield, and rack up those ZOE MAX kills :black101:

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Whatever it is, something isn't right. I hit a ZOE max dead-on with a decimator yesterday and it still gunned me down and then scuttled off to do whatever it is that ZOE maxes do (wipe out entire squads of infantry unscathed). In my experience, they don't go down any easier than normal MAXes, and they dish out seemingly twice the firepower, chase you around corners, and insta-gib you from clear across rooms if they so much as spot you.

I also hit a ZOE a few times with the Enforcer yesterday and it also waddled off unscathed, but I don't know how many enforcer hits it would take to down a MAX. Do we even have any tank weapons left that do area damage? I'm tired of having to be pinpoint accurate with my explosive TANK rounds.

Something must be buggy on your end, I've eaten AP shells before and we definitely do not just shrug them off.

Literal Hamster fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 17, 2013

GentleJudge
Feb 28, 2011

Philthy posted:

What's your useroptions.ini look like? In large battles I get 25~ fps in the most intense battles despite putting everything but shadows and flora high. I got a i7-3770K, 16gb, GTX 670 here.

BeardMilk
Apr 22, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Whatever it is, something isn't right. I hit a ZOE max dead-on with a decimator yesterday and it still gunned me down and then scuttled off to do whatever it is that ZOE maxes do (wipe out entire squads of infantry unscathed).

There is some kind of a bug, I've been landing 2 C4 on them and around 1/4 of the time they just walk away. I haven't checked the math but I don't think even at Flak 5 that's possible.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I've been having pretty good luck on my Connery NC character blowing up Lobstermen. Knock on wood.

Since that LA only has 1 brick of C4 so far, MAX units are a better target than vehicles anyway.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I saw a similarly weird bug the other day where I shot at a MAX with a rocket and it just passed straight through him. He wasn't even strafing or doing anything weird, he was just walking forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Daysvala posted:

Post GU11, grab yourself a Gauss SAW, Nanoweave 5 and resist shield, and rack up those ZOE MAX kills :black101:

There is some incorrect Maths going on there. ZOE reduces your armor by 30% (Unless did they change this again?) so you go from 80% down to 50% not 80%-50% so a Saw will do 100 damage per shot as 200*.5= 100. So that is 20 shots to kill.

• Locked thread