Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does anyone else have trouble getting Falcon Pro to attach their location to a tweet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it possible to prevent Chrome from resizing the text in different paragraphs to different sizes? It's really annoying to try to read a page that's mostly text.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I left my Note 2 unplugged last night and lost 26% battery. Checking BBS, the phone was awake (screen off) basically the entire night. I found the culprit.
Kernel Wakelocks: "mdm_hsic_pm0" (): 8 h 27 m 11 s (30431 s) Cnt:(c/wc/ec)0/0/0 97.0%

A cursory Google didn't turn up much, has anyone here seen this before?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can anyone tell me why the stock alarm clock nearly never triggers anymore since the last fw update i did on my note?
Its really weird, when i make a new clock it works the first time, but regular alarms stop working randomly

The Gunge
Aug 20, 2011
Sorry if these things have been covered recently, but I didn't really have time to read through the thread.

I have a Galaxy SIII if that makes a difference.

Basically I have two requests - I need a video/camera app better than the stock camera, and a video editing app that will allow me to use video already stored on an SD card, add titles and export onboard. Any suggestions?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I left my Note 2 unplugged last night and lost 26% battery. Checking BBS, the phone was awake (screen off) basically the entire night. I found the culprit.
Kernel Wakelocks: "mdm_hsic_pm0" (): 8 h 27 m 11 s (30431 s) Cnt:(c/wc/ec)0/0/0 97.0%

mdm hsic is related to data/3g services, afaik.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

The Gunge posted:

Basically I have two requests - I need a video/camera app better than the stock camera

What specifically are you looking for that the stock Camera doesn't provide? Will make it easier for someone to suggest an alternative.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Leon Sumbitches posted:

In Settings > Power Management, do you have Extended Standby Mode enabled?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Dice Dice Baby posted:

In Settings > Power Management, do you have Extended Standby Mode enabled?

Power Management sites not exist as a category in settings. Closest is Power Saving Mode, which has no options like that. Could it be in another category?

FWIW, I was connected to Wi-Fi all night.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
What's a good app for looking up Trending topics on Twitter?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Power Management sites not exist as a category in settings. Closest is Power Saving Mode, which has no options like that. Could it be in another category?

FWIW, I was connected to Wi-Fi all night.

My bad, I just up upgraded to Jelly Bean so maybe it's a new option

Though, to be fair, my phone which used to last a couple of days now only lasts one :( ... I'll have to see better battery stats to see what's up

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThermoPhysical posted:

Falcon Pro hit 100,000 tokens again and will be pushing an update for people to pick up one again.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/17/falcon-pro-reaches-twitter-token-limit-again-youll-need-to-update-and-relogin-to-claim-token/

EDIT: The update is live on the Play Store. If it claims the app is still installed, just click "Installed" anyway and it'll update.

Damnit, I didn't realize this happened until just now and it looks like he's already out of tokens. Frick.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Why do ad blocking apps no longer work on my tf700 with CleanROM?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Damnit, I didn't realize this happened until just now and it looks like he's already out of tokens. Frick.

He's not out of tokens. Twitter blocked the app.

Apparently, he didn't reset anything now or the first time it happened, he just made a new application key which gave him more tokens and didn't get rid of the old ones.

So, Twitter took ALL of the tokens away and he removed Falcon Pro from the Play Store.

If you still have the token for an older version of Falcon Pro signed into Twitter, you can still use it. If you still have the token from the newest version, you can still use that too.

He linked to an older version on his own Twitter.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0t8yJSTwEGaM0hkUEE0U0d5WHM/edit This is the old version he posted on Twitter.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ah, Twitter. Fixing your own app to not be a heap of junk, that costs money. Artificial limits on user tokens so no alternative client can be sustainable, that's free.

I really wish he would just make it so that you could register your own app credentials on the Twitter dev site, paste the keys into the Falcon app, and do it that way.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Ah, Twitter. Fixing your own app to not be a heap of junk, that costs money. Artificial limits on user tokens so no alternative client can be sustainable, that's free.

I really wish he would just make it so that you could register your own app credentials on the Twitter dev site, paste the keys into the Falcon app, and do it that way.

He's apparently taking suggestions on Google+ on what to do.

What I don't understand is how people are raging against him in this situation. There are users claiming he was just greedy and did it so people would buy his app more and he'd get more money...$1 at a time.

There are users complaining that now they can't use the app and they paid for it and they're out of $1. They can still use the older APK so I don't really understand their issue. The APK posted is the exact same as the new one, it just isn't blocked by Twitter (yet).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

ThermoPhysical posted:

He's apparently taking suggestions on Google+ on what to do.

What I don't understand is how people are raging against him in this situation. There are users claiming he was just greedy and did it so people would buy his app more and he'd get more money...$1 at a time.

There are users complaining that now they can't use the app and they paid for it and they're out of $1. They can still use the older APK so I don't really understand their issue. The APK posted is the exact same as the new one, it just isn't blocked by Twitter (yet).

Well honestly I'd feel pretty cheated as well, even if it's just a dollar, but obviously only after he says "Not gonna pursuit this further" and not when Twitter is being a bag of dicks once again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Well honestly I'd feel pretty cheated as well, even if it's just a dollar, but obviously only after he says "Not gonna pursuit this further" and not when Twitter is being a bag of dicks once again.

Yeah, I could understand that. But he'd actively trying to figure out what to do so it's not like he's 100% given up.

I also don't understand how people are being locked out of the app if they've already paid for, opened, and signed into it. I just made a post with it 20 minutes ago and I'm fine.

Maybe it's a bug or something?

The Gunge
Aug 20, 2011

DemonMage posted:

What specifically are you looking for that the stock Camera doesn't provide? Will make it easier for someone to suggest an alternative.

Really just a simpler/more intuitive UI. I'm not a pro photographer or anything so the more advanced features would likely be beyond me anyway.

Anyway the video editor is a more urgent need. The stock camera app isn't the worst in the world, the menu system is just kind of annoying.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

The Gunge posted:

Really just a simpler/more intuitive UI. I'm not a pro photographer or anything so the more advanced features would likely be beyond me anyway.

Anyway the video editor is a more urgent need. The stock camera app isn't the worst in the world, the menu system is just kind of annoying.

I'd really like manual focus but apparently that's impossible, because no one seems to do it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ThermoPhysical posted:

They can still use the older APK so I don't really understand their issue. The APK posted is the exact same as the new one, it just isn't blocked by Twitter (yet).
You're assuming that all these people can install apks. Not everyone knows how.

I never liked Falcon Pro, never got the appeal of it to be honest. But if it was my primary twitter app and I suddenly couldn't log in, I'd be pretty annoyed too.

E: I know it's not the dev's fault.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

You're assuming that all these people can install apks. Not everyone knows how.

I never liked Falcon Pro, never got the appeal of it to be honest. But if it was my primary twitter app and I suddenly couldn't log in, I'd be pretty annoyed too.

E: I know it's not the dev's fault.

While it's true that not everyone knows how to install an APK, they shouldn't be getting locked out in the first place if they already logged into the app.

Unless they're manually deleting the token every time they close the app, the app from yesterday should work fine.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
It's still absurd though. I mean, I understand that this isn't the dev's fault, but the average person won't know that. All they know is, they bought a thing and it doesn't work. Of course they're going to leave 1 star reviews. It's not unreasonable.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
The said thing is that twitter wants that. So people just go to them. Too bad its probably not even gonna have that effect.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

SEKCobra posted:

The said thing is that twitter wants that. So people just go to them. Too bad its probably not even gonna have that effect.

I use twidere because it offers color labels and better customization options. If the official twitter app had that, I wouldn't mind using it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, I could understand that. But he'd actively trying to figure out what to do so it's not like he's 100% given up.

I also don't understand how people are being locked out of the app if they've already paid for, opened, and signed into it. I just made a post with it 20 minutes ago and I'm fine.

Maybe it's a bug or something?

You're not locked out if you have a token from the current app (or the old version of the app that had the previous API key, and you haven't deauthorized it from the Twitter website).

You do get a weird error message though if you wiped, or have to authorize a new device. You get the "unable to accommodate more users" message from Twitter. You have to tap the "Sign in" link on that same error message screen, and then you're able to re-pair it. This is also how the author told people to sign in using the old APK, but if you authorized on the latest Market version you're still OK.

It sounds though like Twitter dropped the hammer way before 100,000 users re-authorized; the last key lasted several months and this one only ran for two days. At that point if you didn't get in and re-authorize you are out of luck without the old APK.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Just got the kickstarter beta of the minuum keyboard. i'm kind of shocked at how great it is. i honestly wasn't expecting much but the fact that it's as quick and accurate as it is despite being beta 1 is really pleasantly surprising. it's great to have so much space to see what i'm typing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Genderfluid posted:

Just got the kickstarter beta of the minuum keyboard. i'm kind of shocked at how great it is. i honestly wasn't expecting much but the fact that it's as quick and accurate as it is despite being beta 1 is really pleasantly surprising. it's great to have so much space to see what i'm typing.

I meant to ask if any goons were in the beta. I'm perfectly happy with SwiftKey, but I love seeing cool new apps emerge. Plus, if it turns out to be a better option, I'll gladly switch.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

XIII posted:

I meant to ask if any goons were in the beta. I'm perfectly happy with SwiftKey, but I love seeing cool new apps emerge. Plus, if it turns out to be a better option, I'll gladly switch.

I wasn't IN the beta, but the APK is in the wild. It's not as fast as SwiftKey by any stretch (both in typing speed and lag), but it is surprisingly usable. The extra screen real estate is shocking.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a video recording app for my HTC One that will let me record for longer than 26 minutes (which is all the phone can do at the mo fir some reason before going into standby)?
Been searching around and tried Magisto but it switches me to lock screen every time I try and record.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I have a odd request for an app. I'm trying to record video from my G3 that I have mounted on my dash. I would like it to be recording for about two hours, but I'm going to be speeding up the video. I tried just recording my trip today, but after about 15 minutes it stopped due to a high battery temp warning.

Is there anything out there that will record at a low frame rate? Or would I be better off using a dedicated camera?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

diremonk posted:

I have a odd request for an app. I'm trying to record video from my G3 that I have mounted on my dash. I would like it to be recording for about two hours, but I'm going to be speeding up the video. I tried just recording my trip today, but after about 15 minutes it stopped due to a high battery temp warning.

Is there anything out there that will record at a low frame rate? Or would I be better off using a dedicated camera?

Search for 'time lapse', there are a ton of apps that do that

e- the stock jelly bean camera (or is it 4.2+?) has a time lapse function, so if you're using a custom rom or something you might already have it? It's under Settings in video mode

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 20, 2013

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Try a time lapse app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ui.LapseIt&hl=en

I used one on a windshield mounted iPhone and it worked great for long drive footage.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, if I go to the Twitter web page (which is weird, since I only every browse on my phone/tablet with Falcon) and go to Apps, Falcon is listed four times! So, am I holding four tokens? I don't want to be pointlessly holding three extras (despite it not seeming to matter now), but I don't want to revoke them and it gently caress anything up

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

XIII posted:

So, if I go to the Twitter web page (which is weird, since I only every browse on my phone/tablet with Falcon) and go to Apps, Falcon is listed four times! So, am I holding four tokens? I don't want to be pointlessly holding three extras (despite it not seeming to matter now), but I don't want to revoke them and it gently caress anything up

It does still matter, one of those tokens is used for the app you're using now. If you remove it, you probably won't be able to sign in again.

I wouldn't remove any of them unless there's a date to show when it was last accessed.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the replies, I don't know why I spaced on time lapse apps. I'll give it a shot next week.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why does Twitter care so much about some small-time Android app? Because it's harder to push ads or snoop on you through the API or something?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Radbot posted:

Why does Twitter care so much about some small-time Android app? Because it's harder to push ads or snoop on you through the API or something?

3rd party twitter apps don't show ads. That's pretty much it afaik

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Opioid posted:

Try a time lapse app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ui.LapseIt&hl=en

I used one on a windshield mounted iPhone and it worked great for long drive footage.

Speaking of this type of thing, what's a good windshield mount for use with time lapse / dash cam apps? The ones I've seen block the camera

\/\/\/ oh yeah no poo poo duh I have a gnex :cheers:

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Depends on your phone.

• Locked thread