Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I'm kind of hoping this trend continues and all the civilians die off, leaving an island populated only by elite warriors, sorcerers and royalty.

The final few chapters would be like Game of Thrones: Japanese Highschool Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KawaiiInbou
Jul 9, 2011

0 : 59 : 56
I think a really minor but potentially important thing to point out is that she couldn't wear clothes under a wetsuit. A drysuit is for wearing things under, but even then it's just a thermal underlayer, typically. A wetsuit lets water in, thus her clothes would be ruined.

That could very easily be dismissed as even something as simple as translation fuzziness, but that's the kind of thing that our translator friends have been good about picking up on. I don't think she's wearing her normal clothes underneath, is what I'm saying.

KawaiiInbou fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 24, 2013

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

miscellaneous14 posted:

It might be purposeful misdirection by the murderer (and by extension, the narrative) to give the impression that someone is secretly the serial killer, possibly mimicking the same setup from the first game. For all we know, said serial killer might not be any of them, and someone found a mask in the store or something to throw everyone off.

It might also be purposeful misdirection by someone other than the murderer, who decided to pull a Togami and mess with the crime scene for funsies. :D

After all, besides Souda there were at least two (or three, depending on whether or not the killer counts toward the murder announcement) people in there beforehand.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

Walterion posted:

I like reading the speculation in this thread, but the thing is, why would someone leave a mask on purpose?

It could be the killer left the mask behind in order to send some kind of message. There have been several murderers who left behind calling cards and the like in order to taunt investigators, or further shame their victims. Considering the conversation Hinata and Sonia had, the killer could be trying to push the group into thinking that Kira did it. Of course, the only people who knew about that were Sonia, Hinata, and Peko. Although, considering Souda's eavesdropping habits, we can't discount that he may know of it as well.

Or, I suppose it could be a message about Koizumi. Perhaps the mask would be a way of saying that she wasn't who she said she was? It could be somebody suspected her of being the mole. Plus, the way she's positioned, and the apparent murder weapon suggest that the game had something to do with how she died. But I'm not sure how that factors in just yet.

Of course, that's assuming the killer didn't just drop it while fleeing the scene.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm just glad Akane is still alive. She's my favorite so far this game. :3:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm hoping to see Saionji either die or develop into something more interesting than "loud and rude."

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Pick posted:

I'm just glad Akane is still alive. She's my favorite so far this game. :3:

You say that now but watch her turn out to be the mastermind

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Eldataluta posted:

Or, I suppose it could be a message about Koizumi. Perhaps the mask would be a way of saying that she wasn't who she said she was? It could be somebody suspected her of being the mole. Plus, the way she's positioned, and the apparent murder weapon suggest that the game had something to do with how she died. But I'm not sure how that factors in just yet.

This does bring into perspective another theory, that Koizumi is the serial killer and someone killed her in self-defense. If we're to bring the game into this, then maybe it manipulated both her and the murderer into a situation where one of them would get killed? Seems a little too complex, though.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 18, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Skunkrocker posted:

Okay game, you're loving with me now...

However, in most media, it's often attributed to something canines do... like wolves...

Come on! It's all a coincidence, right?! She's not REALLY a werewolf, is she? We were joking Spike, stop loving with us!

You're really reaching there, especially that "in most media" part. People spitting and applying saliva on wounds in media examples is just as common, if not more than, as a trait they share with wolves.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Skunkrocker posted:

Come on! It's all a coincidence, right?! She's not REALLY a werewolf, is she? We were joking Spike, stop loving with us!

Yes, you figured out her dark dirty secret. She's actually Owari the Werehog.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

MFerris91 posted:

I think a really minor but potentially important thing to point out is that she couldn't wear clothes under a wetsuit. A drysuit is for wearing things under, but even then it's just a thermal underlayer, typically. A wetsuit lets water in, thus her clothes would be ruined.

I don't think the wetsuit is to keep her regular clothes dry, but rather to hide her clothes due to their condition (bloodstained, torn, et cetera).

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Are you implying that she's wearing a wetsuit OVER her usual getup...?

Not necessarily her normal getup (Hanamura wore a tablecloth during murder for the same reason of making sure he wasn't bloodstained), but a getup. Hiding the bloodstains and evidence is a basic aspect of covering up a murder, and if there's blood splattered everywhere after a murder, figuring out whose clothes it splattered on is one of the basics of figuring out DR cases.

So common sense tells us that there should be some kind of evidence, i.e. a "tablecloth", and if there's not that's a suspicious sign for those characters who have the ability to hide it. Currently that's only Sonia and Peko, whose situations have specifically been brought to our attention.

Dragoon Cody fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 24, 2013

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Dragoon Cody posted:

Currently that's only Sonia and Peko, whose situations have specifically been brought to our attention.

Coincidentally both those two are the only ones (that we know of) to be aware of Kirakira aside from Hinata. And with that mask...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Gann Jerrod posted:

I don't think the wetsuit is to keep her regular clothes dry, but rather to hide her clothes due to their condition (bloodstained, torn, et cetera).

It could just be that she's like Kirigiri and has scars or something.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Doubt it, she wore a one piece back at the beginning and didn't have any scars or anything

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not wanting to get sunburnt is a reasonable in-character reason for a princess to do that, so I'm not worried on that front.

But on the murder front, consistently in DR the solution to cases involves this lead: "where are the dirty murder clothes?" (in other murder mysteries it could just be driven an hour away and tossed, but here everyone's always trapped together in a small area and can't leave). Not only Hanamura, but in the last game too - failing to completely dispose of evidence backfired on Leon, for example. So two characters having an ability to hide evidence that the others don't have is a major thing to watch in this trial.

Dragoon Cody fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 24, 2013

Acornicus
Jun 10, 2013

Dragoon Cody posted:

Currently that's only Sonia and Peko, whose situations have specifically been brought to our attention.
I think that while Sonia and Peko both look suspicious, I'm really leaning towards Peko. Sure, a full body suit can "potentially" be used to hide things((although I'm not sure how true that is since I've never seen/worn one)) But I don't really think you could spend three hours swimming and not be totally exhausted.

I think Peko was probably checking out the area like she said, but not for three hours. Also, if she was swimming, could she have looped around so she wouldn't have to pass in front of the diner? I think it's possible, but we need more evidence before we can really start pointing the fingers at anyone.

Flocci
May 29, 2013

Terrible and bland.

MFerris91 posted:

That could very easily be dismissed as even something as simple as translation fuzziness, but that's the kind of thing that our translator friends have been good about picking up on. I don't think she's wearing her normal clothes underneath, is what I'm saying.

It's definitely not translation fuzziness. If you listen to the voice file after Sonia arrives Souda clearly says "wetsuit" (well, "uettosuutsu"). Wetsuit appears to be a loanword from English. Anyway, it does seem unlikely she could wear much under there, but she could've committed the murder in a swimsuit, all that matters is covering blood splatter.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Skunkrocker posted:

Pretty sure she's mostly a Dragonball Z reference. Constantly hungry, always wants to fight, powering up visual effect when she's pissed off. Not sure where you're getting werewolves.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
There's not enough evidence at this point to start building an argument of any kind. All we could possibly have right now are those dumbass hiding-in-plain-sight clues (Think of Mondo's subtle change in referencing Chihiro) that will drat someone later, but are completely meaningless now.

If Naegito's spent the whole time tied up he ought to at least make a good devil's advocate again.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Pretty sure she's mostly a Dragonball Z reference. Constantly hungry, always wants to fight, powering up visual effect when she's pissed off. Not sure where you're getting werewolves.

orenronen posted:

...Hm? Hmmmmm?

Owari-san... is something bothering you?

No... but don't you smell something...?

No, that's not it...

Music halts

...What I smell... is blood.
...Blood?!

Ocean Breeze Dead End

Hm... hm... hm...

Owari twitched her nose like a wild beast, and then pointed to a certain location.

It's coming from over there. I'm sure of it...!

H...Hey, how come you can sniff out blood in the first place...?!

I'm sure it's over there... The smell of blood is coming from that table...

Kyahaha! Big Sis Owari's just like a stray dog!

She's even eating like one! Heeheeheehee!

Plus the whole wound-licking thing... that immediately caught my eye when I read it. I mean, there's no solid evidence for it, but the game's been teasing at it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

She's not a loving werewolf, why do I need to even say this?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
If people are right about Pekoyama being Kirakira, I could see her playing a version of the game that implicates Koizumi as the killer in some past real-life incident and deciding to make her vigilante serial killer justice serve a dual purpose as her ticket to freedom. For maximum despair, of course, then it'd turn out Koizumi wasn't the killer after all and Peko had just been misled by the game.

At any rate, if one of the students is Kirakira I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up getting revealed during this trial just to match the pattern set by DR1.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Brannock posted:

Plus the whole wound-licking thing... that immediately caught my eye when I read it. I mean, there's no solid evidence for it, but the game's been teasing at it.

Yes, everything everyone says is literally true, which is why everyone is secretly just conceptual representations of hope in line with Nagito's psychoses.

Voisk
May 9, 2013

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I'm pretty disappointed to see Mahiru killed off so early. Like a couple of people have mentioned, she was one of the few 'normal' characters; everyone else is so over the top and supersaturated in their quirks, it makes it hard to sympathize with them. Akane's almost all food and fighting, Nidai is EXXXXTREME, Ibuki is Ibuki... Even Souda's getting progressively stranger and more cliche-ridden.

Well... I kind of feel this is a large part of the series. It makes a good bit of sense for these people to be so odd. They are essentially the best of the best. They are each the fanatics of their field. They are the people that if they were in a room full of normal people they would stand out like a beacon. There might be a few "Normal" people who can blend in... But that's not what we're working with. I have read quite a few series with a bunch of normal people and it's okay. But the over the top factor is a special charm that this series has.

Back to the murder at hand... I wanted to bring up that Sonia is a fangirl of Kirakira. It's not too hard to imagine her growing up admiring serial killers and deciding that she would like to be one too. She starts to kill people and leave behind masks because she wants others to know and appreciate her work. She craves attention in a way that isn't just, "She's a princess". She wants to be something more. It's the fact that she craves attention that she leaves the masks and anyone knows that the murderer even wears masks.

She calls the girls together for a swimming trip so that she can be with a large group when they find the body. There are a good number of holes in the theory, and it will be added to or scraped as new evidence comes up. But it's an idea... Also I think it would be a decent contrast from the first game to have Sonia be the killer. In the first game it was a shut away socially incompetent girl. In this game it would be... well close to the opposite.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I think we can all agree that whether or not it makes sense, Owari being a werewolf would be really cool.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

I think its pretty likely the culprit commited murder, and then swam to wash off the blood (which probably takes all but several seconds to do, but I'm no expert in how Blood and Water mix. Though I guess we can't disregard the possibility of simply having the cloeths hidden somewhere. After all, it looks like Nanami and Sonia aren't even wet. Anyways, I'm pretty positive this is girl on girl violence here, given the similarities to Twilight Syndrome from earlier, and that this was a Girl's Only event. Souda is a pretty terrible liar anyways. Kuzuryuu probably just has a knack at being at the wrong place at the wrong time, Nidai was fighting Owari, and Gundam wasn't anywhere near the island presumably (at least not after Hinata/souda went there).

Nanami seemed rather awake. Something just felt off-character about her, but I can't quite treat that as suspicious behavior. Though if the game starts to strongly push a relationship thing between Hinata and Her (like, from now to the trial) as it was with Naegi and Maizono,red flags are raised. Sonia is up there in terms of suspicion, as she's the only one not wearing a Swimsuit, or rather, she's the only one in an actual "suit" and she was the one who proposed the idea in the first place (albeit, any girl/Souda could've used her plan in their favor). Pekoyama....perhaps, given the sailor moon bit that was mentioned earlier, but that could simply mean she's Kirakira, as opposed to the actual murderer. Owari...I really doubt it.

I'm starting to warm up to Ibuki and Souda. I didn't think I would, but I'm actually really hoping to see Ibuki in a free time event. Mostly because I'm curious as to whether or not she can really be that far out all the time. "Normal" Ibuki would be pretty cool.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 24, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rhinoceraptor posted:

I think we can all agree that whether or not it makes sense, Owari being a werewolf would be really cool.

You must have confused "cool" and "stupid".

Anyway Peko seems to be the most obvious choice for this one. Which means that'll obviously be turned on its head by the end.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
After reading back on Case 2 after Fedule said the thing about the students finding the bodies, this kirakira thing seems pretty similar to Genocider Syo, a murderer who the students know about suddenly shows up on the island and supposedly kills someone. Perhaps someone on the island is Kirakira but it's another bait and switch and the murderer is someone entirely different. I'm stuck in between Nidai or Akane being the potential suspects with say Sonia moving the body and staging it. I really have no proof on that one except that she knows the most about Kirakira with her obsession over the occult.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
What if Owari is a were-Syo?

:aaaaa:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I also highly, highly doubt that Kirakira is going to be anything other than a red herring object, because having a serial killer in the group again would be idiotic.

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

There's been no sign of these games dipping into non-humans and fairy tales, elves and stuff aren't just going to start popping up. That said, there's certainly been a few deliberate wolf/dog comparisons with Owari (spelled out explicitly a couple times too with characters calling her "like a dog"). I mean, how could traits like a supernatural sense of smell for smelling blood be anything other than a reference to her being like a wild animal? But that's not some kind of hint that she's a werewolf, just a wacky set of animal-like character traits.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

I also highly, highly doubt that Kirakira is going to be anything other than a red herring object, because having a serial killer in the group again would be idiotic.

The "what do all these DR1 parallels mean?" conversation has subsided since we started getting actual content to mull over, but that question is still up in the air and we haven't really gotten any indication of where the game is going with that. On its face, blatantly reusing the "one of us is a serial killer" plot point would definitely be a strange and ill-advised move for the writers to make, but that may well be the entire point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah yes, the classic "They're subverting our expectations that it'll be different by doing the same poo poo." No, it's not bad writing, it's actually GENIUS because DANGAN RONPA CAN DO NO WRONG.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah yes, the classic "They're subverting our expectations that it'll be different by doing the same poo poo." No, it's not bad writing, it's actually GENIUS because DANGAN RONPA CAN DO NO WRONG.

All I'm saying is that "it would be dumb if they did that again" isn't reason enough on its own to discard the possibility that one of the students will turn out to be Kirakira. There's no qualitative judgment in there and I'm not going to even try making one until we have enough information to understand the repetition motif's place in the overall narrative.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 24, 2013

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

The "what do all these DR1 parallels mean?" conversation has subsided since we started getting actual content to mull over, but that question is still up in the air and we haven't really gotten any indication of where the game is going with that. On its face, blatantly reusing the "one of us is a serial killer" plot point would definitely be a strange and ill-advised move for the writers to make, but that may well be the entire point.

Yeah like what if someone is faking being a serial killer

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Opposing Farce posted:

All I'm saying is that "it would be dumb if they did that again" isn't reason enough on its own to discard the possibility that one of the students will turn out to be Kirakira. There's no qualitative judgment in there and I'm not going to even try making one until we have enough information to understand the repetition motif's place in the overall narrative.

Kira was stated to have been murdering 'all over the world' by Sonia and the article she was reading. Syo was just in Japan, and was mostly only reported on in Japan. Hell, the magazine article Sonia read about them was in Italian or French, if Hinata is to be believed.

So yeah while we do have some crazy poo poo all up ins this piece, I really doubt they're going to pull out the same 'oh yeah we have a hidden serial killer in our midst' routine, and we're just setting it up to be similar but different.

Also, it bugs me in an artistic sense that Peko's hair is so drat short when it's down. I'd have thought with the huge braided loopy-whatsits she'd have had much longer hair.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Plus, while there have been some similarities, they haven't been either strong enough or numerous enough to suggest any sort of repetition motif. MGS2 this ain't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Waffleman_ posted:

MGS2 this ain't.

It turns out Gundam's arm is actually bandaged because he surgically transplanted Mondo's arm to replace his own, and has fits of wanting to ride bikes and style his hair more outlandishly. He is an overly-dramatic seizure away from calling Hinata 'BRO.'

DR2 facts that should be true. :downs:

• Locked thread