Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dauntasa posted:

I thought it was just Claire in the English version because Eclair sounds dumb.

I can understand why they changed that.

Yeah, it's Éclair in the Japanese version which is just... a French word meaning "Lightning/flash of lightning" It's not written in Japanese the same way as the pastry IIRC but that wouldn't matter for the English version. They lose the stupid-rear end "she was basically named Lightning all along" part but considering her name is mentioned like maybe once in the game, ain't a huge loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

1st AD posted:

The new outfits look cool but they look like they're going to a club and not fighting monsters/corrupt institutions/gods. Also the old ones at least had some more color, the new ones are all black.

I kinda really dig the red soles on their shoes though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RME posted:

I kinda really dig the red soles on their shoes though.

I find it weird there are two companies that do this because red soles on the shoes is such a Christian Louboutin thing that they successfully sued Yves Saint Laurent over it.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Gaseous Snake posted:

She apparently has no family (except Serah) and friends is kinda questionable. Maybe the guardian corps all go by silly nicknames.

I always figured it was a callsign.

And her name is Claire, not some silly French pastry. :colbert: (Yes, I know it means lightning in French)

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Gaseous Snake posted:

She apparently has no family (except Serah) and friends is kinda questionable. Maybe the guardian corps all go by silly nicknames.

There was a sidequest in FFXIII-2 where you meet some of Lightning's comrades and if I remember correctly, they all go by codenames like Thunder, Ray, and Falcon. I guess it's a military thing. v:shobon:v

Winks posted:

I always figured it was a callsign.

And her name is Claire, not some silly French pastry. :colbert: (Yes, I know it means lightning in French)

Eclair's a great name for Lightning just because it's so unfitting to her character.

Eggie fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 25, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Mazed posted:

Why are the playable characters all dudes? :v:

Usually FF is better about that.

This is what I was wondering, as well? Still, they seem likeable from what I've read. Pretty excited to see more.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Eggie posted:

Eclair's a great name for Lightning just because it's so unfitting to her character.

Éclair = Lightning, Claire = Clear

Now which is more unfitting :colbert:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Not all characters have been revealed, and Stella is a potential party member as well (though likely not permanent). The reduced party size is great for 1. making each character unique and 2. cutting costs for VAs.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if she wasn't. There's also another woman shown in the portraits at the end of the trailer, who we haven't seen yet.

The cool thing about this game is that you can take direct control over your party members, like the blond guy with his gun. Noctis might be the only person in his group to be capable of magic, so he's certain to get someone else with good magic as a party member.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, there was a female dragoon in a trailer wasn't there? At least I think there was...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Remember Squall taking that icicle to the chest at the end of disc 1? That magic icicle? Well magic healing isn't up to par and yeah, Squall didn't make it. If you have the free time, find the page and read the whole theory. Kinda fun but admittedly retarded.

It makes more sense of FF8's completely :catdrugs: ending than anything else though.

Also that icicle he took to the chest would've removed about 80% of a lung and whatever other organs were in the way. He basically got impaled with a streetlight post, made of magic, and fired by the person he just tried (and failed) to assassinate.

Then post-assassination everything starts going in Squall's favor.

Schwartzcough posted:

Hell, even Terra would count. She talks about "wanting to know what love is," but it's clear by the end that she wasn't looking for a hookup; her motivation becomes taking care of a bunch of orphaned children.

It's never about finding some love interest either, it's basically "I was raised as a mind-controlled killing machine, someone please explain this emotion that drives people I want to unfuck my life and this might help." Terra is a sad and broken person who needs help and the orphans are probably the best thing that's happened to her outside of being freed from empire control.

ImpAtom posted:

They are going all-in on those names.

"Hope your name is Hope you give us Hope" is the mindset for all of those character names. :gonk:

The kid in the back left with blonde hair looks like Brienne of Tarth had a family with some moody guy from Assai(?).

Level Slide posted:

I hope this means 15 takes a page from The Last Story and allows color customization for clothing :unsmigghh:

If some fashion team designed them I'd be surprised if they aren't legally obligated to only change the clothing's appearance with the designer's express permission since SE would essentially be loving with the designer's "look" by doing so.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

1st AD posted:

The new outfits look cool but they look like they're going to a club and not fighting monsters/corrupt institutions/gods. Also the old ones at least had some more color, the new ones are all black.

I honestly like the old clothes more than the new ones. Although I suppose it wouldn't be Final Fantasy these days unless the costumes were pretty ridiculous. I mean, they even gave the supposed level-headed old-timer a getup that makes him look like a bartender at a gay biker club.

What I want to know, though, is how much the setting has changed.

For example, the design of what is presumably Noctis' home city used to look like this:

I thought it was cool that they were making a new game with an urban setting vaguely similar to VII's Midgar.

But now it looks like this (?):

Which is more like the over-the-top, gratingly busy world design that they've been trending toward more and more since XII. Even with their newly snazzed up goth peacock fashion designs, I think the old city design would have suited [:v] the characters better.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think that's mostly just the palace or some ornate government buildings. It's pretty clear from a lot of the stuff released at E3 that it's still going to be a very modern setting. For example, apparently some Japanese people are complaining because it's "too close to Tokyo," with literally the exact same police car design and building facades. You even see Noctis slamming a soldier's head into the side of a police car.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Which is more like the over-the-top, gratingly busy world design that they've been trending toward more and more since XII. Even with their newly snazzed up goth peacock fashion designs, I think the old city design would have suited [:v] the characters better.

I think that's during some sort of massive flood, though. Remember Leviathan tearing poo poo up in the E3 trailer?

e: nevermind, missed the boats in the water off to the right. But the scenes from the shots you posted from above were also in the newer trailer, too. I distinctly recall a clip of him driving a car down the street. It'll probably be very modern-day technology wise.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 25, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also that icicle he took to the chest would've removed about 80% of a lung and whatever other organs were in the way.

Good thing that icicle hit him in the right shoulder instead of the chest, then. :v:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I honestly like the old clothes more than the new ones. Although I suppose it wouldn't be Final Fantasy these days unless the costumes were pretty ridiculous. I mean, they even gave the supposed level-headed old-timer a getup that makes him look like a bartender at a gay biker club.

What I want to know, though, is how much the setting has changed.

For example, the design of what is presumably Noctis' home city used to look like this:

I thought it was cool that they were making a new game with an urban setting vaguely similar to VII's Midgar.

You know there's... more than one city, right? The water city is modeled after Venice, and the city mostly featured in the trailer is where Noctis' kingdom is, a modern, urbanized city.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So when did Cecil die? People are trying to explain the weirdness in VIII but going to the loving moon and Darth Vader is your bother being controlled by Moon HItler is pretty out there too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So when did Cecil die? People are trying to explain the weirdness in VIII but going to the loving moon and Darth Vader is your bother being controlled by Moon HItler is pretty out there too.

On the mountain. He never becomes paladin and the rest of the story is his dying dream.

Which is why dying dream theories are stupid.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Final Fantasy VII is Zack's dying dream of Cloud who then dreams as he is dying in Zack's dying dream.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Barudak posted:

On the mountain. He never becomes paladin and the rest of the story is his dying dream.

Which is why dying dream theories are stupid.

FF1 is the dying dream of Garland. The Light Warriors landing the killing blow on Chaos was when his mind finally shuffled off its mortal coil.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FFIX is the dying dream of Quina, who finally ate something you no can eat.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
FFX is the dying dream of a people trapped in stone and yet, cannot die... oh wait. :v:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

The name "Final Fantasy" makes a lot more sense to me now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Continuing the topic of fan theories I do not like, I really wonder where people got the notion Kuja destroyed the crystal and that is where Necron came from. Kuja's final Ultima was clearly directted at the party in front of him, not the crystal behind him. Also all the talk was about if the crystal was destroyed the universe would just cease. Not that a big...thing would appear once it was destoyed and that thing would in turn destroy the universe. Somehow.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Just wanted to give a thumbs up to the dudes who posted tips about FF XII IZJS however many pages ago. I'm running it through an emulator and it's great fun.

I played the original on a PS2 but only got as far as the Stilshrine of Miriam before real-life stuff put a damper on my game time.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I'm actually trying to do the same. Was able to get Last Story running but gonna save that for the back log.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

King Regis Lucis Caelum CXIII - King Ruler Light Sky 113th

It's more like "King Sky of the Light of the King".

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don't care how horrible the names are and how bad the recent games have been I'm excited for FF15 and I'm not sure why. Besides the names can't possibly be worse than "Hope, you give us Hope"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't care how horrible the names are and how bad the recent games have been I'm excited for FF15 and I'm not sure why. Besides the names can't possibly be worse than "Hope, you give us Hope"

You wish. Its only going to be even more tortured.

"My father always told me without darkness the light isn't as beautiful; the night sky is a garden and the stars are the most precious flowers to blossom."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just hand the localisation over to 8-4, thanks.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't think that most people will be bothered by the names, if only because most people don't learn any latin at school. I certainly didn't know that they were this cringeworthy until I saw everyone discussing it here, until that point they just sounded vaguely Roman to me.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pasteurized Milk posted:

The name "Final Fantasy" makes a lot more sense to me now.

FFVI's World of Ruin is everyone's dying dream after Kefka destroyed the world. Kinda like Lost!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Terper posted:

Just hand the localisation over to 8-4, thanks.

I'd be down with that. Especially if they have Ignis toss out the line, "Time to tip the scales," at some point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I'd be down with that. Especially if they have Ignis toss out the line, "Time to tip the scales," at some point.

You will take "I've got a burning passion for learning" and you will like it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

I can deal with the stupid names but I won't be able to deal with the dubbing if it follows the same style as the subtitles there.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I can deal with the stupid names but I won't be able to deal with the dubbing if it follows the same style as the subtitles there.

Why don't you tell us how you really felt about FFXII. :laugh:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

NikkolasKing posted:

\
All you ever hear is negative talk about FF designs though. Which game do people think had the best character costumes?

PSX Tactics remains the pinnacle of the series' character and costume design, IMO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

If you look at those names and don't think it will have a massively bombastic style of dub, I don't know what to say. Ain't nobody speaking Sword Friendship's name any other way.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

If you look at those names and don't think it will have a massively bombastic style of dub, I don't know what to say. Ain't nobody speaking Sword Friendship's name any other way.

...massively bombastic style of dub. I have no idea what you're saying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

strikehold posted:

...massively bombastic style of dub. I have no idea what you're saying.

It's going to be overacted to hell and everyone's probably going to speak in faux-British accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Calaveron posted:

Looks fine to me. Think I'm right in saying Noct is a prince and his dad is the king so it makes sense for him to speak in an old-fashioned and proper way