Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BattleMaster posted:

They have it it's the Clan Large Pulse Laser :/

You know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BattleMaster posted:

What do you mean by that if you weren't trying to say that the game's design philosophy was to give things to the Clans first and then have it filter down to the Inner Sphere before repeating the process?

It's a strange thing to say, given that Clan technology was, with three exceptions, just improved versions of the poo poo we had already gotten from TRO:2750 a year or two before.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
TRO:Draconis Combine is now out, what was that, a week between the CC and DC versions? Also, Ben Rome has a preview for one of the new Kuritan assault 'mechs on his blog. http://benhrome.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/a-dragons-death-angel-with-a-gun/ .

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

TRO:Draconis Combine is now out, what was that, a week between the CC and DC versions? Also, Ben Rome has a preview for one of the new Kuritan assault 'mechs on his blog. http://benhrome.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/a-dragons-death-angel-with-a-gun/ .

It was a concurrent project. It'd have been out faster if I didn't need to do some last minute edits, so that one's my fault. Sorry 'bout that.

They wanted those samurai totems really, really faithful to the minis.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Captain Foo posted:

The hilarious thing is that based on the way Clan mechs play, the Snubnose PPC would be their ideal weapon.
Funnily enough, I think the Snubbie turned up on a Khan's Royal Phoenix Hawk in Klondike first.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Funnily enough, I think the Snubbie turned up on a Khan's Royal Phoenix Hawk in Klondike first.

I'm getting my local group to do a company on company Alpha Strike playtest.
Its all in inches on hexless terrain. Oh my!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Very curious now. I'd certainly like to see if it was easy to introduce to people without them falling asleep before a turn ends.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kommando posted:

I'm getting my local group to do a company on company Alpha Strike playtest.
Its all in inches on hexless terrain. Oh my!
It'll be fun.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

It shall be. Some have already refused saying "no hexes? Not battletech" and "does it use this record sheet? No? Then I'm not interested."
But I have 4 people wanting to do a company on company battle.

One explicitly stated they don't like the battleforce initiative system.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Good thing you're working on the Alpha Strike rules then.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Good thing you're working on the Alpha Strike rules then.

The older players can be recalcitrant grognards.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541437
:bang:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"Can be"? I am confused.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Hey so this thread went kind of quiet, and I'm surprised no one else has pointed out that Catalyst is having a 25% Off Everything On BattleCorps sale. Also, apparently there are 3145 TROs for Federated Suns, Draconis Combine, and Capellan Confederation now? If you are interested, now seems like a decent time to pick them up.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Thanks for posting that. Picked up the Era report.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Good stuff, was waiting on getting two of the 3145 TROs and now's the chance.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Literally my first doodle after getting a Wacom tablet.

Reseen Ostroc.

Still pretty lovely with this thing.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's also literally good, and I'd like to see more.

It reminds me of the Wraith, except with limbs that don't suck.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Literally my first doodle after getting a Wacom tablet.

Reseen Ostroc.

Still pretty lovely with this thing.

That's really your first time drawing on a tablet? Better than my first sketches, that's for sure.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Kommando posted:

Big Clan on Clan bash this easter.
Set up a DLSR above the board with a 10-22mm lens, captured the whole thing. One frame every 20s, will format it into a time lapse. Also took close ups.

Four stars against four stars. 14,500BV, tournament legal.
Have at it.
And we did. Our side very heavily pushed the left flank with me anchoring the centre and Ned running distraction on the extreme right.
I shelled the core of the opponents forces with my Adv Tactical Missile heavy Star and Ken/Bjorns Binary swung round to hammer the side. By the time our opponents reoriented to the new firing line, they were losing armour rapidly.
And then in turn 7 it all happened. The enemy rushed forward and munitions flew, missiles and lasers flashed across the suddenly very short distances between each force. 7 mechs fell in that one turn and in the end, our opponents had lost 4000 more points than we did.

Victory. :)

Out of curiosity, did you ever compile the time lapse for these?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gentle reminder to go buy a copy of the just-released TRO 3145 FWL, me and Anthony went ham on that sucker. I assume going "ham" is somewhat more severe than "going bacon." Either way, I could use a bite to eat.

Maybe gruyere and prosciutto wrapped in arugula. Yeah, that sounds good.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

When you finally get to the Lyran hardware, can you slap a 2nd Donegal logo on the coolest machine you draw, or do they not let you do that?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

When you finally get to the Lyran hardware, can you slap a 2nd Donegal logo on the coolest machine you draw, or do they not let you do that?

Sadly, TRO art guidelines prohibit unit logos for the in-book stuff. But I'm pretty sure I'd be allowed to fiddle with a copy for online use.

Also, all my Steiner assignments are of pre-existing MWDA minis. :negative:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's okay. It wouldn't be fair to any of the other artists if one of them gets to draw something that is in the coolest unit in space and the rest don't.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Hubis posted:

Out of curiosity, did you ever compile the time lapse for these?

Yeah, I can post it, but the angle made it look really flat. And we hadn't annotated the video yet.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Sadly, TRO art guidelines prohibit unit logos for the in-book stuff. But I'm pretty sure I'd be allowed to fiddle with a copy for online use.

Also, all my Steiner assignments are of pre-existing MWDA minis. :negative:

Can't wait to see what you do with them. I'm guessing the Raiden MKII and Pack Hunter II (Wolves in Exile) will be among them. Can't think of what else from the clix game could be given to Steiner... DI Marksman Tank and the Kelswa Assault Tank?

Yes I am a huge fan of the clix game. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Why would Lyrans get a Raiden in their TRO? Anyway, the Pack Hunter II was in 3085, as was the M1 Marksman, so those probably aren't being used, since 3085 is still in print and all.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Why would Lyrans get a Raiden in their TRO? Anyway, the Pack Hunter II was in 3085, as was the M1 Marksman, so those probably aren't being used, since 3085 is still in print and all.

I don't really get into the TROs, so I guess I missed those. And I just remembered I was thinking of the Storm Raider, not the Raiden. I just remember from one of the Dark Age novels the Steiner forces (well, Stormhammers) were using a couple o them, so I figured they would get counted a Lyran design.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Man I hope not. We already have one lovely light mech with a mace. I guess that one isn't as underwhelming purely because it doesn't share a name with the most fearsome WarShip class in the Inner Sphere, but... poo poo, an AC/5 on a mech with a melee weapon?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I don't really get into the TROs, so I guess I missed those.

I'd really recommend reading the TROs starting from 3075 onwards if you haven't already. Quite a few of the entries have actually decent write-ups if you're a fan of the novels, as opposed to "nerd lists off things on the record sheet". Many of them are for Dark Age minis game units. Also the artists are Awesome and worth supporting, as they are fans too AND THEY WALK AMONG US

Okay I am done being a shill, carry on.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
TROs are my favorite part of Battletech. I can rarely get anyone to play anymore, but I can always pull out a TRO, from 2750 to 3085 and read and enjoy 'em. I need to pick up the ones I'm missing and I'm waiting on Interstellar Operations as well. Then I can feel as if I have "the game".

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Does the Sarath remind anyone else of a WoB Celestial?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Does the Sarath remind anyone else of a WoB Celestial?

Close! It's more of an upscaled WoB Demon; I was told to make it look like a Shedu, so I did. I'm inferring from these instructions that even the Regulans are willing to reverse-engineer Wobbie omnitech if it's something they don't have.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's why I like the Regulans. They don't give a gently caress what you think.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's why I like the Regulans. They don't give a gently caress what you think.

Regulan STRONK

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with this TRO.

EDIT: Here's another look at the Juliano.

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 26, 2013

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Looking good.
Reading Sarna, so many of those MWDA designs are mechanically broken and will require significant shoehorning to fit the existing build rules.

I'm in Perth for a con and I've found a gaming dungeon that has a shitload of Battletech stuff. At the same price as IWM. :( I only have limited baggage.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I actually really like that view of the separate parts. I think that would be cool as, say, a desktop art or one of the color plates in a sourcebook, seeing a mech get put together from its components.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

I actually really like that view of the separate parts. I think that would be cool as, say, a desktop art or one of the color plates in a sourcebook, seeing a mech get put together from its components.

I agree -- I think art that kind of fleshes out the "giant f'ing machines" aspect to give the mechs a sense of scale and context really drives home the setting. I'd like to see something like this, but with a mech in a factory.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Does anyone remember those blueprints and cross-sections of the Timber Wolf among other things? That was some serious make-believe technical drawing right there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Does anyone remember those blueprints and cross-sections of the Timber Wolf among other things? That was some serious make-believe technical drawing right there.

I remember not seeing any myomer anywhere on those old pre-TW ones! That bothered me so much. When I saw Plog's modern take on a Mad Cat cutaway with myomer included, I laughed. "Finally! Someone noticed!"

On MWDA: Yeah, what worked in MWDA might not work so well in BT. Sure, the Hellstar became shorthand for I Am A Boring Twinkface and the Cygnus only slightly less so, but then we see what they had to work with to bring in the Rokurokubi and, uh. Well, at least the Kubi got a decent variant. I think whoever volunteers to convert DA units to BT stats must be a glutton for punishment.

Compounding my distaste for the MWDA units is the fact that I keep getting assignments to draw them! They must think I'm good at it, but I don't want to be. :negative:

Also it would be hella cool if they let me paint a color plate of a Juliano being assembled in a factory for, I dunno, Interstellar Ops. Is there an abbreviation for that yet? TacOps and StratOps is kinda catchy. "StellOps?" "IntOps?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
IntOps seems to be the standard.

• Locked thread