Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

Mederlock posted:

And it's clear that you must have little knowledge of how wide sweeping and restrictive our firearms legislation already is. People that hold firearms licenses have their criminal records checked everyday. Tell me, do you have your criminal record checked every day? If you don't have a firearms license or a federal job or something that requires that sort of thing, you probably don't. They go through an extensive vetting process that takes anywhere from 1-4 months, depending on the case and circumstances at the bureaucracy. If they have a conjugal partner/spouse, they must sign the application, and 2 other character references must be provided. Magazine's capacities are strictly limited, and storage laws for restricted firearms (pistols, rifles with barrels shorter than 18.5") are extremely stringent, and they can only be transported directly from the home to a registered range where the owner is a member at. Legally, it is nearly impossible to use a firearm in self defence in almost any situation, unless there is unquestionable proof that their or someone else's life was in imminent danger, and even then, you'll have to prove your innocence

None of these things are particularly unreasonable. It's easier to obtain a PAL than a drivers license, and it's easier to buy a gun than a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

dethslayer666 posted:

None of these things are particularly unreasonable. It's easier to obtain a PAL than a drivers license, and it's easier to buy a gun than a car.

None of them are particularly egregious, other than the mandatory minimum sentences part of the equation. I fully and strongly support firearms ownership licensing. I just don't support needless over-criminalization of minor offences, or registries that have been proven to be expensive to set up, ineffective in gathering reliable data, and generally have abysmal compliance rates, which does little to actually reduce violent firearms related crime. Also, you are very wrong about it being easier to obtain a PAL than a drivers license. Does getting a driver's license take an average of 2-3 months with current administrative loads? Do you need a criminal record check, that recurs daily (I strongly feel this is a good idea, just saying it's above what a drivers license takes), need 2 references of character, and criminalizes almost all victimless offences related to the activity? You do have to take a safety test (and course if you don't want to challenge the exam) that costs a similar amount of money, and you have to renew your license in similar time frames. Also I provided sources to my :effort: post

e:

BGrifter posted:

Man gun people are weird.

I'm rapidly reaching the point where I want to see crazy gun control laws on the books just to troll the hell out of the gun owners. Maybe something where owning a gun requires you to get a forehead tattoo that reads "has a gun".

I'd get that tattoo if it was mandated :getin:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 29, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mederlock posted:

Please enlighten me how a firearms registry would be useful in this case. They're going door to door through every house anyways to look for people, and are (hopefully) only grabbing the firearms they see floating around in basements or leaned up against walls without trigger locks or the like on the way through. I mean, it would certainly be useful in locating and confiscating property, which is what the RCMP used it for whenever they arbitrarily re-classified firearms to prohibited from non-restricted. The only reasonable angle I can see you're seeing this from is in the case of returning these firearms to their owners, but a responsible firearms owner should have the serial numbers, description, firearm model/year(if possible) and a few pictures of all their firearms stored somewhere in a water proof container (just like any other important personal records).

Well, yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Since a lot of their records could have been lost in the flood (I know I don't have anything in a waterproof container, but I also don't live in a town called High River :v:), claiming them would be pretty trivial if they were all registered somewhere. You visit the RCMP in a few weeks time, you say ask them for your gun back, they run your ID (your firearms license would be ideal I guess), check what serial numbers you have registered, issue you your weapon.

Which is exactly the goal of the Land Titles Registry, which was the reference I made before. The fact that all the titles are centrally registered makes the whole process significantly easier, since there are next to no disputes over who owns what. Of course, it's also harder to smuggle in land from the US.

quote:

People that hold firearms licenses have their criminal records checked everyday. Tell me, do you have your criminal record checked every day? If you don't have a firearms license or a federal job or something that requires that sort of thing, you probably don't.

I'm going to cherry pick this out of order, but I do have certain security clearances, so I do have to go through all those checks periodically. For the record.

quote:

And it's clear that you must have little knowledge of how wide sweeping and restrictive our firearms legislation already is. They go through an extensive vetting process that takes anywhere from 1-4 months, depending on the case and circumstances at the bureaucracy. If they have a conjugal partner/spouse, they must sign the application, and 2 other character references must be provided. Magazine's capacities are strictly limited, and storage laws for restricted firearms (pistols, rifles with barrels shorter than 18.5") are extremely stringent, and they can only be transported directly from the home to a registered range where the owner is a member at. Legally, it is nearly impossible to use a firearm in self defence in almost any situation, unless there is unquestionable proof that their or someone else's life was in imminent danger, and even then, you'll have to prove your innocence in a lengthy and very costly criminal trial. These laws are enforced as strictly as is possible by the RCMP (for "the public's safety" :rolleyes:), and mandatory minimum sentences are in place for many of the convictions.

Except for mandatory minimum sentences which are unconstitutional and stupid, this all sounds pretty good to me. I'd still like there to be a registry, just because the police services say they're useful, and I'm willing to take their word for it.

quote:

Thousands of people die in Canada to drunk, irresponsible, or inattentive driving, higher than the numbers killed (excluding suicides) by firearms.

This argument is really dumb. Let's not pretend that pro-gun-control means I don't care about drunk driving. Both guns and cars piloted by the impaired are dangerous, and we should take steps to contain both.

quote:

According to a (probably former by now) Toronto police chief, at least 80-90% of firearms used in crimes in his jurisdiction were illegally obtained firearms, either being stolen, smuggled from the US, or bought on the black market. Criminals don't exactly go and register or legally use the tools that they use for crime, regardless of what legal restrictions are in place.

Yeah, I don't really doubt it. But again, police officials still claim they're useful, and I don't know enough to argue about it. And the end of the day, registering your weapons just doesn't seem like an onerous requirement. At the end of the day, it is something specifically designed to kill poo poo, and we should take it very seriously. If it came right down to it, I think the country as a whole would do pretty well if nobody outside of the territories owned a firearm at all.

BGrifter posted:

Man gun people are weird.

Tell me about it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Getting a full driver's license in most provinces takes upwards of 2 years. Granted, you can operate a motor vehicle after a written test (though usually not without constant, passenger-seat supervision from a fully licensed driver with a number of years of experience), but I'm pretty sure every province has some sort of graduated licensing provision now. I don't know if it's necessarily easier to get a driver's licesnse than a firearms license, since I've never applied for the latter, but it's been a hell of a hassle for me to get my driver's, and I still don't have my full G in Ontario yet.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mederlock posted:

And it's clear that you must have little knowledge of how wide sweeping and restrictive our firearms legislation already is. People that hold firearms licenses have their criminal records checked everyday. Tell me, do you have your criminal record checked every day? If you don't have a firearms license or a federal job or something that requires that sort of thing, you probably don't. They go through an extensive vetting process that takes anywhere from 1-4 months, depending on the case and circumstances at the bureaucracy. If they have a conjugal partner/spouse, they must sign the application, and 2 other character references must be provided. Magazine's capacities are strictly limited, and storage laws for restricted firearms (pistols, rifles with barrels shorter than 18.5") are extremely stringent, and they can only be transported directly from the home to a registered range where the owner is a member at. Legally, it is nearly impossible to use a firearm in self defence in almost any situation, unless there is unquestionable proof that their or someone else's life was in imminent danger, and even then, you'll have to prove your innocence in a lengthy and very costly criminal trial. These laws are enforced as strictly as is possible by the RCMP (for "the public's safety" :rolleyes:), and mandatory minimum sentences are in place for many of the convictions. Thousands of people die in Canada to drunk, irresponsible, or inattentive driving, higher than the numbers killed (excluding suicides) by firearms. According to a (probably former by now) Toronto police chief, at least 80-90% of firearms used in crimes in his jurisdiction were illegally obtained firearms, either being stolen, smuggled from the US, or bought on the black market. Criminals don't exactly go and register or legally use the tools that they use for crime, regardless of what legal restrictions are in place.

I have to ask, don't you think that maybe the reason so many gun crimes are committed with illegal guns is exactly because we have such strict gun laws? Compare the process you described here for getting a license and buying a gun with the process at a random point in the United States:

quote:

Getting the permit to carry a concealed weapon was simple. I filled out a form, had my fingerprints taken for a background check and paid $56.50. No training required. It took far longer to get my dog a license.

I started my 30-day gun trial with a little window-shopping. I visited a gun show and two gun dealers. I ended up buying a Glock 9mm handgun from Tony, a gun dealer four miles from my house. I settled on this model because it was a smallish gun and because Tony recommended it for my stated purposes of protecting myself and my home.

It was obvious from the way I handled the gun that I knew nothing about firearms. Tony sold it to me anyway. The whole thing took 7 minutes. As a gratified consumer, I thought, “Well, that was easy.” Then the terrifying reality hit me, “Holy hell, that was EASY.” Too easy. I still knew nothing about firearms.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/12/my-month-with-a-gun-week-one/

I don't know much about the long gun registry aside from the fact that police were for it because when they were pulling someone over or going to someone's house, they could check ahead of time whether or not the person was armed, and could therefore approach the situation differently. Then again, the police are always in favour of whatever measures give them more information and power, even if they're egregious breaches of privacy like the current NSA surveillance. I don't know enough about the LGR itself to take a stand one way or the other, but I know that if I had to choose between our strict gun laws and low firearms death rate, and the US's loose gun laws and higher firearms death rate (especially suicides, which are the really big killer and make up about 3/5ths of gun deaths in the US, almost entirely with legally owned guns), I would pick Canada's every time.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I don't know much about the long gun registry aside from the fact that police were for it because when they were pulling someone over or going to someone's house, they could check ahead of time whether or not the person was armed, and could therefore approach the situation differently.

They are trained to assume the worst when they approach a car or a house, as they should. The LGR did not give the added protection and the LGR check was automatically part of the CIPC check. Furthermore, the LGR ran the risk of providing a false sense of security which proved itself to be frightening true when a police officer was following up on someone with a warrant, checked the system and went "welp, no guns well then all safe!"As a result, she died.

Oh, and it was constantly rifed with errors and have been compromised by criminal elements making it a nice shopping list.

E: for the record, I think the licensing system works. The only thing I would get rid of is the ATT for restricted mainly because it is an inefficient red tape or at least make it a permanent part of the license.

quaint bucket fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 29, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Guy DeBorgore posted:

After what happened to New Orleans during Katrina, I'm shocked people aren't more supportive of the RCMP's actions.

Considering that during Katrina New Orleans cops murdered two people and tried to cover it up "They had guns!" I'm not surprised.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

quaint bucket posted:

They are trained to assume the worst when they approach a car or a house, as they should. The LGR did not give the added protection and the LGR check was automatically part of the CIPC check. Furthermore, the LGR ran the risk of providing a false sense of security which proved itself to be frightening true when a police officer was following up on someone with a warrant, checked the system and went "welp, no guns well then all safe!"As a result, she died.

Oh, and it was constantly rifed with errors and have been compromised by criminal elements making it a nice shopping list.

E: for the record, I think the licensing system works. The only thing I would get rid of is the ATT for restricted mainly because it is an inefficient red tape or at least make it a permanent part of the license.

I don't own any guns, nor am I particularly pro gun, but the LGR was extremely poorly conceived and implemented. Voluntary participation was always going to be low, but when you combined it with a fee gun owners had to pay to register (non-payment of which could result in confiscation of guns), it essentially became a punitive measure on gun owners who took the time to register. This is aside from the huge cost overruns (like hundreds of millions) and the fact that the AG found that the program had no way to track its own effectiveness (all claims that the LGR was effective are anecdotal). It's worth remembering that the registry was brought in as one of several gun control measures in the wake of the Montreal Massacre. It was not crafted as a result of careful study of the problem, but as a reaction to an event that feature a long-barrel gun. Most gun deaths in Canada are from handguns anyway, so it's not like the LGR targeted the largest danger from guns.

Mandating the destruction of the records was a hilarious "gently caress You, Libs" by Harper, though.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Cordyceps Headache posted:

I don't own any guns, nor am I particularly pro gun, but the LGR was extremely poorly conceived and implemented. Voluntary participation was always going to be low, but when you combined it with a fee gun owners had to pay to register (non-payment of which could result in confiscation of guns), it essentially became a punitive measure on gun owners who took the time to register. This is aside from the huge cost overruns (like hundreds of millions) and the fact that the AG found that the program had no way to track its own effectiveness (all claims that the LGR was effective are anecdotal). It's worth remembering that the registry was brought in as one of several gun control measures in the wake of the Montreal Massacre. It was not crafted as a result of careful study of the problem, but as a reaction to an event that feature a long-barrel gun. Most gun deaths in Canada are from handguns anyway, so it's not like the LGR targeted the largest danger from guns.

Mandating the destruction of the records was a hilarious "gently caress You, Libs" by Harper, though.

Yeah, so much so that Trudeau said he wouldn't bring it back in if his government were elected into power. Of course the NDP are treating it like the Cons took away a vital part of public safety that's gonna CAUSE PEOPLE TO DIE OH GOD HOW COULD THEY :gonk:

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Does anyone know if it's possible to unsubscribe from NDP emails (and letter mail for that matter). I've tried about 7 times, updated my profile to say no emails, and sent an email to them twice asking them to stop.

I tried again yesterday and received two more emails today. I made the mistake of donating a year or so ago and they won't shut the gently caress up now. I could just apply a spam filter, but at this point I want to be removed from the contact list entirely.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Freeze posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to unsubscribe from NDP emails (and letter mail for that matter). I've tried about 7 times, updated my profile to say no emails, and sent an email to them twice asking them to stop.

I tried again yesterday and received two more emails today. I made the mistake of donating a year or so ago and they won't shut the gently caress up now. I could just apply a spam filter, but at this point I want to be removed from the contact list entirely.

If you're in BC, call 604-430-8600. Otherwise they're suppose too be unsubscribing you when you click on it/fill out thishttp://www.ndp.ca/endp-unsubscribe which is weird. Try complaining too http://www.ndp.ca/contact

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
You have to recover the Amulet of Yendor from the underworld of Gehennom

And Happy KKKlanada Day, Megathread

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof
Ah another Canada day in Quebec. Everythings open and because of weirdness, all rent contracts expire today so everyone's moving. Oh and everyone's too tired from the St. Jean last weekend to do anything. I don't think it'd stick out in my head so much if it just wasn't a big deal, but all the little things to ensure that canada day is not a big deal is amusingly peculiar.

Bandanna fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 1, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Walked through Whistler village a couple hours ago and there were already a ton of drunk people singing Oh Canada out of tune at the top of their lungs on patios, so everything here is pretty much normal.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

HookShot posted:

Walked through Whistler village a couple hours ago and there were already a ton of drunk people singing Oh Canada out of tune at the top of their lungs on patios, so everything here is pretty much normal.

I've been in Whistler this weekend too. It's loving HOT. What's up with the mounted cop with the husky? Trying to endear the public to the RCMP?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Majuju posted:

I've been in Whistler this weekend too. It's loving HOT. What's up with the mounted cop with the husky? Trying to endear the public to the RCMP?

That husky is the most adorable dog. I love his eyes so much. But yeah, I think they just bring him out for the tourists to enjoy, playing up to stereotypes instead of the mentally challenged people tasering reality.

And yeah it is so loving hot, the best thing right now is to actually go up to the peak of the mountain, the breeze is so nice up there and not hot like death. I went for a two hour hike around Lost Lake yesterday and I was totally dripping when I came back.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is the husky named Diefenbaker? :ohdear:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

More importantly, does it have it's own savings account?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Happy Canada day! Congratulations on 146 years of unification under Her Majesty's glorious dominion! May your place as the northern jewel of the Empire Commonwealth be assured for many hundreds of years to come!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Three cheers for not having the stones to become a republic like Ireland.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Queue another monarchism debate in 3, 2, 1...

But seriously, I'm Irish by descent, but I've given my heart to the place I was born, and forgiven King Billy and the whole House of Orange.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

LP97S posted:

Three cheers for not having the stones to become a republic like Ireland.

I will go to my grave truly baffled at why the British monarch is such a point of pride for so many Canadians. It's not simply that I don't personally approve of the notion of hereditary, distant heads of state - I'm legitimately confused why anyone would.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Hats and Corgis

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

Queue another monarchism debate in 3, 2, 1...

But seriously, I'm Irish by descent, but I've given my heart to the place I was born, and forgiven King Billy and the whole House of Orange.

Good song. But I still don't want his ghost ruling my country.

edit:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good point, the Queen's Royal Attack Dogs are quite adorable.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Apparently, Liz doesn't house-train her corgis and they just poo poo everywhere in Buckingham. That's what servants are for!

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Hail Victoria, traitorous Yankee republicans :getout:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

Good song. But I still don't want his ghost ruling my country.

I would be loving stoked if a literal ghost came back to be Monarch of the UK. Would be awesome, in a terrifying sort of way.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So um, The RCMP in Surrey stopped a terrorist attack.

I know details are skimpy right, but there's supposed to be a press conference at 2pm EST

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How intriguing. The counter-terrorism guys really do seem to be doing a good job for the last few years.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bunnyofdoom posted:

So um, The RCMP in Surrey stopped a terrorist attack.

I know details are skimpy right, but there's supposed to be a press conference at 2pm EST

I don't think that press release could be any vaguer.

What's the odds on it being one of those "we entrapped some knuckleheads into saying some 'terroristy' things" cases vs it being some sort of actual plot?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I bet they busted some stoner Leftists who got too comfortable talking about blowing up a pipeline or demanding more bike lanes.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Entropic posted:

I don't think that press release could be any vaguer.

What's the odds on it being one of those "we entrapped some knuckleheads into saying some 'terroristy' things" cases vs it being some sort of actual plot?

It's a pretty common thing in the US, depends on how much of that has made it over the border I guess.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

I bet they busted some stoner Leftists who got too comfortable talking about blowing up a pipeline or demanding more bike lanes.
THC :ohdear:

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Rogue0071 posted:

It's a pretty common thing in the US, depends on how much of that has made it over the border I guess.

yeah going by the last decade of foiled "terrorist" plots in NA it's likely to be RCMP foils RCMP plot says RCMP

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Latest bit seems to think it was suspicious packages left at the B.C. Legislature.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lowly abject turd posted:

yeah going by the last decade of foiled "terrorist" plots in NA it's likely to be RCMP foils RCMP plot says RCMP

RCMP rapes terror plot.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

News Conference is live on CBC. Apparently, they wanted to denote a bomb at the legislature Canada Day. Investigation was launched in February, with tips from CSIS. Domestic threat.

Three inert pressure cooker bombs...

For the love of gently caress, the devices were seized at the legislature at the height of celebration. Jesus.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 2, 2013

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Court records indicate Amanda Marie Korody, 30, and John Stewart Nuttall, 39, have each been charged with conspiracy to commit an indictable offence, knowingly facilitating a terrorist activity and possession of an explosive substance.

They were arrested Monday and are accused of building explosive devices with the "purpose of causing death or serious bodily injuries" in Victoria on Canada Day.

Police said Korody and Nuttall were "inspired by al-Qaeda ideology" :psyduck: but added the incident has no international links. At the press conference, police said the pair were self-radicalized.

Dont worry, I'm still here and the closest thing I've done to this is one time I accidentally lit my buddy's parents' hedge on fire with a roman candle.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Al-Qaida ideology is basically Zawahiri's decision to attack Western targets at home rather than abroad as vengeance for foreign influence in Arab Islamic affairs. We're now Israel's best friend in the ideology wars. Makes sense we're a target for home groans.

edit: seriously, fellas, this is one of those times it's legit to mention al-Qaida.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not sure the media is saying al-Qaeda enough in relation to this attempted bombing by 2 people born and raised in canada with absolutely no international or "terrorist" contacts.

• Locked thread