Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

vyelkin posted:

It's already happening if you can bring yourself to read the comments on that NatPo article. :negative:

NEVER READ THE COMMENTS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JoelJoel posted:

NEVER READ THE COMMENTS!

I've been posting in the comments of the Posted Toronto section for a few months and I have to start finding something more productive to do with my time because welp.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 6, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I find this very very very very hard to believe!!!!!!!!!!

And why would they confirm this so fast?

A freak accident? Usually you have an engineer and a fireman + a pilot if a US train is in Canada.
And if so what about the dead man switch? Something missing here.

edit: actually these are probably the weirdest comments I've ever read on a NP article, it's crazy, but in a different way from the usual NP comment section crazy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JoelJoel posted:

NEVER READ THE COMMENTS!

Actually, I find the different dynamics behind our major Canadian news sources' comments sections kind of fascinating.

The NatPo has a weird mix of ultraliberal and ultraconservative thought, and seemingly nothing in between. I think the liberals just go on there to stir the poo poo and debate with people with different views, but there's often a strong undercurrent of criticism of what the NatPo is writing on nearly every opinion/politics-related article. At the same time, there are a ton of ultraconservative types writing stuff that wouldn't be out of place on Tea Party Community, and getting just as many upvotes as the liberal guys. And while the NatPo may be pretty conflicted over social conservative issues, they're often of one mind that free market economics is the best, except for the occasional populist whine about something really horrible (like the RBC foreign worker thing, that's the kind of thing that revs up the NP's populist side).

The CBC has the ultraliberals without the rest. Every article reliably has a number of top voted comments that are all about linking whatever bad thing is happening to the Harper government, whether it has anything to do with Canadian federal politics or not. There's a few people that like to go on and provide conservative dissent, but they're usually out-argued by people making actually good liberal posts.

The Globe and Mail is actually shockingly similar to the CBC's comments. Surprisingly given how neoliberal the paper is, their commenters are very oldschool Canadian liberal, like they never made the shift the G&M and Liberal Party did towards neoliberalism but still read the Globe because of what it used to be. That being said, every now and then something riles them up and they get as reactionary as the NatPo out of nowhere.

And the Toronto Star has shockingly conservative comments, that are almost uniformly pro-Harper, pro-Hudak, and pro-Ford, like the only people who feel the need to comment on Toronto Star articles are rabid conservatives who only read the paper to get their daily does of angry outrage, and then vent all their hatred into the Star's comments section.

Can you tell I sometimes get bored at work?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

HookShot posted:

I find this very very very very hard to believe!!!!!!!!!!

And why would they confirm this so fast?

A freak accident? Usually you have an engineer and a fireman + a pilot if a US train is in Canada.
And if so what about the dead man switch? Something missing here.

Must be a false flag operation to warm the public on Keystone XL.

...never read the comments.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

vyelkin posted:

At the same time, there are a ton of ultraconservative types writing stuff that wouldn't be out of place on Tea Party Community, and getting just as many upvotes as the liberal guys.

This I don't get. I get into arguments with liberals and conservatives all the time and from the swath of the population I've sampled the far left and right swing in the comments of our papers seems way out of proportion with reality. I guess people are emboldened when hidden behind a keyboard. Or maybe, like you said, it's only the ultra left/rights that feel the need to comment.

Whatever the case is I certainly hope a foreigner reading comments on our newspapers sites doesn't think that they represents the average Canadian's political views.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm no fan of the pipelines and the companies that run them but I'll be the first to say that shipping oil by rail is dumb as all hell. It is very inefficient from an energy and cost perspective as well as being pretty unsafe, especially considering the cavalier attitude our national railways have adopted towards safety recently.

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

This I don't get. I get into arguments with liberals and conservatives all the time and from the swath of the population I've sampled the far left and right swing in the comments of our papers seems way out of proportion with reality. I guess people are emboldened when hidden behind a keyboard. Or maybe, like you said, it's only the ultra left/rights that feel the need to comment.

Whatever the case is I certainly hope a foreigner reading comments on our newspapers sites doesn't think that they represents the average Canadian's political views.

I think it's the latter. Most people will read an article and not really give much thought to sharing their opinions, but the really hard-line guys will be the first ones CAPITALIZING random WORDS in their SENTENCES in the comments.

For what it's worth, it's not just a Canadian thing. Every foreign news site I've read has had the same amount of whacked out comments.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Jesus. 60 People are missing. I hope it's all a false count, and everyone is ok.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jesus. 60 People are missing. I hope it's all a false count, and everyone is ok.

60?! Has to be an overestimate. The police on the scene simply said several were missing.

e:

National Post posted:

Some people were reported missing, although Quebec provincial police Lt. Michel Brunet said it was too early to say if there were casualties.

“We’re told some people are missing but they may just be out of town or on vacation,” Brunet told a news conference.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 6, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

60?! Has to be an overestimate. The police on the scene simply said several were missing.

Radio Canada says 60. Which I hope is an overestimate too.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

gently caress, did the Habs lose a star player, too? Quebec takes protests seriously.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bunnyofdoom posted:

Radio Canada says 60. Which I hope is an overestimate too.

I read on twitter in french that not a single person has shown up to be treated by emergency personnel and they fear the worst :(

e: La Presse is reporting it was a runaway train. The cars became decoupled from the locomotives somehow, which were found 800m away from the derailment.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/j...-conducteur.php

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 6, 2013

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Actually, I find the different dynamics behind our major Canadian news sources' comments sections kind of fascinating.

<snip>

The one constant is that if the story involves First Nations or Muslims in any way, get ready for plenty of :negative: regardless of the source.

Also I dunno what prompted CBC to change their commenting system, but the new one is loving terrible.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Theoretical question time:

Do you think Canada would elect a female Prime Minister? We see more and more female Premiers, Senators and MPs, how long until one gains enough momentum to become the leader of a non-insane party and potentially makes a huge splash in a run for PM?

Would the NDP try to get more attention, drop the old white guy act and put a woman in charge?

If Trudeau falls on his pretty boy face and losses more seats for the Liberals, would they then try one last ditch effort by trying to appeal to younger voters via a female voice?

If the Conservatives's hegemony collapses and they see themselves as getting desperate and wanting to distant themselves from potentials tainted by scandals, would they then put up a woman to show a fresh new face?

I only know a few party members so ill have to leave this a bit open ended rather than give my guess.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

The one constant is that if the story involves First Nations or Muslims in any way, get ready for plenty of :negative: regardless of the source.

Also I dunno what prompted CBC to change their commenting system, but the new one is loving terrible.

Yeah, you can no longer vote down on the comments so the truly horrible ones float to the top

EDIT: Back on the fire news, 1 person confirmed dead, missing has gone up to 100 according to CBC

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 6, 2013

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Whole thing makes me sick. The largest forest fire in Quebec history up North, and then this.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

JayMax posted:

Whole thing makes me sick. The largest forest fire in Quebec history up North, and then this.

No kidding, I live all the way over in St. John's and the city is hazy as poo poo today due to the forest fires in Quebec and Labrador, I can only imagine how bad it is over there.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Theoretical question time:

Do you think Canada would elect a female Prime Minister? We see more and more female Premiers, Senators and MPs, how long until one gains enough momentum to become the leader of a non-insane party and potentially makes a huge splash in a run for PM?

Would the NDP try to get more attention, drop the old white guy act and put a woman in charge?

If Trudeau falls on his pretty boy face and losses more seats for the Liberals, would they then try one last ditch effort by trying to appeal to younger voters via a female voice?

If the Conservatives's hegemony collapses and they see themselves as getting desperate and wanting to distant themselves from potentials tainted by scandals, would they then put up a woman to show a fresh new face?

I only know a few party members so ill have to leave this a bit open ended rather than give my guess.

No one would have any problem electing a female Prime Minister, Kim Campbell had a drat good shot at winning in 1993 if she hadn't let them attack Chretien's Bell Palsy which outright destroyed the PC's no matter what revisionist history says.

No matter what you think about Trudeau the fact is he has pretty much saved the Liberal party by ramping up it's fundraising solely based on name alone. If only for that reason Trudeau has been successful as far as the party goes.

Both Alexa McDonough and Audrey Mclaughlin led the NDP for years. The fact is neither one where a good enough politician to overcome the Chretien/Martin Liberals (not that anyone was until they split the party).

So yes someday another woman will run a major party in Canada and will lead it to electoral victory.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

A female PM in Canada is more a question of when rather than if. The only obstacle is that I don't see any women in any of the major parties who would be viable candidates in the near or even distant future at the moment.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

JayMax posted:

That, and the blackouts that were created in Montreal due to the smog tripping off transformer regulators.

quote:

One of the interesting things of watching Quebec news (Le Telejournal, or TVA) was that it had a rather "outside view, looking in" on the rest-of-Canada's politics. Of course, that was before internet comments became mainstream.

By the by - anyone have any luck with scripts running multiple proxy accounts? I would be funny if the National Post's top comments for weeks was a big open advertisement to join Starfleet Dental.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I find the Globe and CBC comments are mostly passable because they're filtered by popularity. It kinda disincentivizes craziness. The Sun and NP are chronological, no?

Still, you'll see "MUSLIM-FREE CANADA!!" posts on CBC with hundreds of upvotes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Funkdreamer posted:

I find the Globe and CBC comments are mostly passable because they're filtered by popularity. It kinda disincentivizes craziness. The Sun and NP are chronological, no?

Still, you'll see "MUSLIM-FREE CANADA!!" posts on CBC with hundreds of upvotes.

You can sort any of them by 'highest score' or 'best' or 'most liked' or something like that, because they all have rating systems (I never go to the Sun's site because I would be giving them ad revenue by just being there, so I don't know about theirs), you just have to select it from their dropdown menu. I only ever look at the comments this way, because I'm more interested in the overall reaction of commenters than reading through hundreds of insane things that no one cares about.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Zach Paikin chat: through a LPC f-o-a-f, I have learned today that he got punched by a girl at an LPC event. Apparently he was acting "rapey", and she was underage b

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

MrChips posted:

A female PM in Canada is more a question of when rather than if. The only obstacle is that I don't see any women in any of the major parties who would be viable candidates in the near or even distant future at the moment.
Yeah, this is the main problem right now. Hell, most provinces have elected a female premier by now, including the bastion of social liberalism that is Alberta.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Pinterest Mom posted:

Zach Paikin chat: through a LPC f-o-a-f, I have learned today that he got punched by a girl at an LPC event. Apparently he was acting "rapey", and she was underage b
Can you confirm/deny that he's bi/bicurious

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
elle oh elle.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
In a similar vein Harper's new line is that he had no idea three other people from his office were involved in the Wright Duffy negotiations when he went to the House of Commons and asserted Wright was solely responsible.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"I'm a completely inept moron who has no idea what my direct underlings are up to."
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper, noted control freak

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

In what universe can Canadian wireless be considered better than the US?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Funkdreamer posted:

Can you confirm/deny that he's bi/bicurious

No idea.

Other anecdote: A friend saw Steve Paikin at the NDP convention in Montréal last spring, went up to him and said "Hey, I know Zach". Steve remarked "Oh. He's quite right-wing for a Liberal, isn't he?"

More Hot Paikin Facts as they come in.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
haha that rules. Heres another Paikin fact for you. My sister saw Steve and his family at the mandarin a few years ago and when they sat down he said "whats on the agenda tonight?". Hard hitting news here.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

The one paid for by Bell and Rogers of course!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Steve Paikin has webbed feet.

FoE
May 1, 2005
nothing really

MA-Horus posted:

Maybe if you compare Wind or Mobilicity to American carriers we look good?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Kafka Esq. posted:

Steve Paikin has webbed feet.

He has that Innsmouth look.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

At best a vandal, at worst an ignorant, malicious stooge... whatever that means.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

The report is here: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/reports/rp130422.htm

The price comparisons are offered in three forms: price in Canadian currency vs. price in U.S. currency, the exchange rate price comparing both costs in Canadian currency, and then a third: a comparison of prices when purchasing power parity (PPP) has been applied. I strongly suspect they're getting that 40% figure from one of the PPP comparisons.

Using the price of Level 1 Mobile Wireless:

Own currency = $30.71 (CAN) vs $25.85 (US)
Exchange Rate = $30.71 (CAN) vs $25.64 (US)
Purchasing Power Parity = $30.71 (CAN) vs $33.08 (US)

Also, the prices were taken only from services offered in Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Regina, and Vancouver, and the method to determine a Canada-wide market price seems to have taken population into account, but not geographic location, nor does it take into account what people are actually paying in usage fees in areas where only mobile internet is available as a primary internet connection.

This also seems sketchy:

quote:

Applicable usage caps are taken into account in the study, including any overage fees that may apply once assumed usage levels are exceeded. However, most of the surveyed service providers either have no usage caps or, where they do apply, they are high enough that no overage fees would be incurred given the data usage assumptions adopted for the defined broadband service baskets.

The above may be the case in the five cities surveyed but is not the reality for many Canadians.

Editing again: I'm also curious about the inclusion of Regina rather than Edmonton, Calgary, or Winnipeg, and whether that was to get SaskTel included in the figures. SaskTel has historically had very competitive prices compared to the big four, particularly when it comes to mobile internet.

Giant Goats fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 7, 2013

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Holy loving hell:

NP posted:

Police are still unable to access the two-square kilometer heart of the disaster zone, including the site of a popular bar that was packed with an estimated 30 or 40 revellers when the train derailed just meters away at around 1:15 a.m. Saturday.

I, at first, assumed that the media was blowing this out of proportion, but if the above statement is true this could be on of the bigger disasters/tragedies in Canadian history.

:canada:

e: Downtown:

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JoelJoel posted:

Holy loving hell:

I, at first, assumed that the media was blowing this out of proportion, but if the above statement is true this could be on of the bigger disasters/tragedies in Canadian history.

:canada:

e: Downtown:

Considering the Metro grocery and Dollar Store were both incinerated, I'm thinking this could have been a lot worse. Still, very sad. I think there's going to be a national shock when the death toll is finally revealed. :(

• Locked thread