Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

It aids in having a certain amount of scrolls identified for fresh characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
This is dreadfully fun looking, and it's cool to see another roguelike. I'll be checking it out this weekend for sure, and will put some links up on our forums at Gaslamp.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I finally got through that dungeon I was having trouble in, also gently caress those assholes that chain fire 8 poisoned arrows into you and pretty much force you to run away or die. I thought the salvaged weapon I pulled from my dead character's grave would be good for quite some time (sweet enchantments and +1d6 and +10% damage, awesome) ... and then I found this solid gold axe that has a plus 20 damage by default :stare:

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Despite my crippling inability to create a fightermans character that survives his first dungeon I'm really enjoying this so far. The variety of dungeons is nice and I feel that most of my deaths have been my fault. I didn't expect the graveyard to get so full, so fast. :negative:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are the Deft and Sturdy enchantments explained anywhere?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Are the master's programs implemented, or are they locked? Or is that where necro shows up?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Tollymain posted:

My Deft Combat Tunic +1 tells me that it grants a 5% bonus to my total parry score when I move over to where it's equipped in the 'e' popup (higher parry score = better chance of parrying an attack and taking no damage). Dunno about Sturdy but it'd likely be explained the same way.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Maybe the description for advanced shield use should mention that you can't fire a bow with a large shield equipped so players don't find out about it after already spending points to get it? This sound silly and perhaps obvious, but the game has no problem letting you fire a bow with a regular shield.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

nvining posted:

This is dreadfully fun looking, and it's cool to see another roguelike. I'll be checking it out this weekend for sure, and will put some links up on our forums at Gaslamp.

Whimsy Roguelike Solidarity is a glorious thing!

Anybody have any special tricks to impart on dealing with those new insane leaping charge frogs? They hit like trains, have a good bit of HP, and there has to be another way beyond chain Foom Bolting then being out of Mana because a 2nd one spawned and that's that?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Let me answer some of these questions, sorry for getting behind. I treated myself to 8 hours of sleep last night, is nice.

Tollymain posted:

Deft is a 5% Parry Bonus, Sturdy is 5% Block. This should be showing up in 1.06. I've been bad about making sure every bonus appears in the UI.

Carnalfex posted:

Are the master's programs implemented, or are they locked? Or is that where necro shows up?
First Master's Program should be in the next game update. If not, then I'll talk about them in a KS update and implement them in 1.08 or something. Short version is that they are unlocks that are unlocked through Mastery selection.

Tollymain posted:

What does bringing books back to the Academy do other than make the library bigger and the librarian douchier?
That's a reward all its own, imo.

You can pre-identify more and more scrolls as the Library grows, and when you cap the Library then each character gets four books at random to start. That's a pretty big boost, though you could get four books you don't want. I've seen players change their mind about what they want their new character to do based on the books that show up, I like that.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I went in a "trivial" dungeon and got mobbed by ice-slinging skeletons and died in a few turns. That makes me wonder if the trivial dungeon mechanic is implemented correctly and in a well-balanced way.
The graveyards and crypts swung from "easy joke dungeon" to "bullshit icegrinder death trap." I didn't give the creature tables the same love I gave the regular dungeons, which means there's near vertical power cliffs at some points. 1.07 Dungeon update includes unfucking them.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Can I use my 1.5 save with 1.6?
No, unfortunately. The save files changed as did the structure of item data. This will probably happen again for 1.07, honestly. It's possible to code the game around that, of course, but for the Summer Preview I want to spend that time on bug fixes and feedback requests. "Here's my feedback, then: Fix your buggy save code between patches :colbert:"

Tollymain posted:

So what do you do if you've got a level 1 duder and no dungeons at an appropriate difficulty level to take on?
Dungeons restock with each new graduate. If you're tired of the Warren, there should be another Dungeon nearby, but it is random so you might have to look. If there's nothing safer than Dangerous and you refuse to do the Warren, right now you just gotta nut up and prove the valor of Dungeonmens.

GulagDolls posted:

I honestly recommend not playing a wizard dude. I am so incredibly overpowered that the game has become boring.
Coldnado is SO BROKEN. It's on the list of fixes, but I've actually let it sit out there for a little bit because I've seen an arc like this among more junior Dungeonmans players:

1) oh god I died where'd my save go
2) ok I get it this game is hard
3) 12 dungeonmens later I might have a wizardmans that can get past level 5...
4) Woo! I'm so good at Dungeonmans and I made it so far!

I'm not really going to aim the game at filthy casuals, but I have a soft spot for this sort of thing. I'm gonna fix it. The correct fix for Coldnado is to way reduce the damage and also ensure LOS works.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Also yeah I'm totally stoked you got zircon for the music. Do you know how many tracks are going to make up the soundtrack? I'm seriously considering the soundtrack pledge.

I don't know exactly how many. He's really excited about it though, and I love video game music, so I predict the number to be "many". There's interest in doing tracks that are sort of based on the themes of Dungeonmans even if they aren't used directly in game. Like, if Dungeonmans had cutscenes where the hero and the Headmaster are dueling on a crumbling stone bridge during a thunderstorm, and then the Headmaster reveals he is actually a Betrayermans. But we'll see.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Any of you who are fans of zircon's music might want to check out his livestream tonight, he'll be working on a new track for Dungeonmans!

http://www.livestream.com/zirconmusic

6pm EST

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 10, 2013

JTG
Feb 19, 2008
to take a steak knife and slice my dick off. I'll start sliding it back and forth along the side of the shaft slicing in deeper and deeper with each successive cut.
1.06 and 1.05 crash on startup for me, I wanted to play this game too.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

JTG posted:

1.06 and 1.05 crash on startup for me, I wanted to play this game too.

Did you install the XNA 4.0 Runtime? I assume you have, but just checking.

Did the crash catcher pop up? If so, would you mind crashing the game again for me and letting me know it's you in the message? I want to help!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm gonna chalk this up to not understanding the game mechanics, but as I go up in level my spells cost more mana for more effect, but my mana pool increases at a rate that is about the same - so I can cast the same number of spells, but a mana potion does less and less - so really it feels like I'm being punished for having the audacity to level up. What is intended with this mechanic?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm gonna chalk this up to not understanding the game mechanics, but as I go up in level my spells cost more mana for more effect, but my mana pool increases at a rate that is about the same - so I can cast the same number of spells, but a mana potion does less and less - so really it feels like I'm being punished for having the audacity to level up. What is intended with this mechanic?

Some spells go up in cost, some don't. Some of the ones that go up in cost I feel are too expensive, but I made that change and wanted to see what the feedback was like.

The purpose behind the mechanic is that some early spells don't become trivial to cast later on in your career. Hero Cloud, for example, is a pretty useful spell and can really help when you 1v1 powerful enemies. In 1.05, Hero Cloud didn't scale and it was nothing to blow 4 mana on protection when you had a mana pool around 80.

On the other hand, it sucks and doesn't feel powerful to get to level 5 and be able to throw the same number of Bolts of Foom before running out as you did when you were level 1. This is something I'll correct in short order.

You should be finding better mana potions as you level up, but perhaps you're unlucky. Or, perhaps, the treasure table isn't correct and they aren't showing up. I'll check. Could be both!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

madjackmcmad posted:

You should be finding better mana potions as you level up, but perhaps you're unlucky. Or, perhaps, the treasure table isn't correct and they aren't showing up. I'll check. Could be both!
I did find some, don't worry about that, I just wanted to conserve them (and/or ran out, because I like spamming Bolt of Foom.)

JTG
Feb 19, 2008
to take a steak knife and slice my dick off. I'll start sliding it back and forth along the side of the shaft slicing in deeper and deeper with each successive cut.

madjackmcmad posted:

Did you install the XNA 4.0 Runtime? I assume you have, but just checking.

Did the crash catcher pop up? If so, would you mind crashing the game again for me and letting me know it's you in the message? I want to help!

The crash catcher didn't pop up, it just crashes immediately the moment I try to run it, and yeah I have XNA 4.0 up.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

JTG posted:

The crash catcher didn't pop up, it just crashes immediately the moment I try to run it, and yeah I have XNA 4.0 up.

drat. What OS are you on? Also, I think I might have licked most of the problems with International players but maybe I haven't. Are you outside the US?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Sometimes the Bolt of Foom sound effect doesn't work properly.

By "doesn't work properly" I mean it plays an anoying buzzing at the beginning of launching it. Then, next time I hit the hotkey for it, the arrow keys stop working until I alt-tab (but the first one I press goes through, though no others, and doesn't show up as moving until I alt-tab), and when I launch the second Bolt it is silent, then plays the buzzing right before hitting the target. It's almost like there's a long sound effect being condensed into a horrible short buzzing sound.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

By "doesn't work properly" I mean it plays an anoying buzzing at the beginning of launching it. Then, next time I hit the hotkey for it, the arrow keys stop working until I alt-tab (but the first one I press goes through, though no others, and doesn't show up as moving until I alt-tab), and when I launch the second Bolt it is silent, then plays the buzzing right before hitting the target. It's almost like there's a long sound effect being condensed into a horrible short buzzing sound.

What in the world? It makes a buzzing noise and then makes your arrow keys not work? I'm really sorry. I've been seeing a number of wacky crashes and bad times with XNA's audio. More reason to move to OpenAL.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Not sure if this is a bug, but on my Fightermans when I switch from a sword and shield to two handed weapons I can still use my Shield Charge if I set it to a shortcut key.

I like the fact that I get to keep a nice Charge attack, but seeing as it doesn't show up on my skill page I'm not sure I'm supposed to keep it.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

madjackmcmad posted:

Dungeons restock with each new graduate. If you're tired of the Warren, there should be another Dungeon nearby, but it is random so you might have to look. If there's nothing safer than Dangerous and you refuse to do the Warren, right now you just gotta nut up and prove the valor of Dungeonmens.

Speaking of the Warren restocking, I ran the Warren with 4 different Dungeonmans and got the same Academy Artifact for alchemy each time. This seems a little broken since I've now got a fully upgraded alchemy lab for just rolling out the gate a few times. A fixed artifact like that should probably only be obtainable once.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Not sure if this is a bug, but on my Fightermans when I switch from a sword and shield to two handed weapons I can still use my Shield Charge if I set it to a shortcut key.

I like the fact that I get to keep a nice Charge attack, but seeing as it doesn't show up on my skill page I'm not sure I'm supposed to keep it.

In related shortcut key weirdness, you keep your shortcut keys when you die and create a new Dungeonmans. You can try to use a skill you don't have and get a nice cryptic-sounding error saying you don't have it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My computer crashed.

...and my guy autosaved so I didn't lose anything? Seriously, well done!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I guess my question is: Why can these bee halbediers attack me from eight miles away.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So this guy's name is messed up in a way I assume is unintentional, he just didn't get a Champion one:

And this drives me insane when I target things:

e: and is there a Deckard Cain-style identifier in some towns, or am I just SOL if I find five times as many magic items as Scrolls of Identify? I'd spend a skill point on an Identify spell in a heartbeat.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 11, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: and is there a Deckard Cain-style identifier in some towns, or am I just SOL if I find five times as many magic items as Scrolls of Identify? I'd spend a skill point on an Identify spell in a heartbeat.

This is how it works in about every roguelike ever. You have to manage your items and only identify things you really really want to identify.

On my Mans now I have like 8 scrolls of ID, if anything they are a bit too common.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Uncle Jam posted:

This is how it works in about every roguelike ever. You have to manage your items and only identify things you really really want to identify.
On previous dudes, I had infinitely more ID scrolls than I needed, but on this one I find myself running short, so I figured it was worth asking.

Also, I got hit by some sort of special attack (from a Lizardman, I think) that knocked me one square backwards... and then we just kept moving backwards. I thought it was a graphical glitch, since alt-tabbing out and back fixed it, but then I checked my map

(I hadn't set foot south of the up-stairs that I came from.)

e: also the "Staminizing" prefix doesn't have a description on my equipped boots
e2: also this item is named "Tinsteel Curiass", isn't it "Cuirass"?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 11, 2013

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I like the game, but I'm going to have to report a bug too.

Was toying with the necromanser. (Dear god they're such a liability at the beginning before your first kill) And I pretty much had to resort to camping the stairs on the scrobold warrens. Going down, taking one swing, get hit for 3/4 of my health, and run back up to rest.

This was fine, however i learned that the dead tokens that got dropped since I used the stairs caused me to crash if I tried to pick them up. The ones I gathered while I hadn't hit a map transition were picked up just fine, but the ones I killed during the whole stair hopping were immediate crashes.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
I don't believe it's intended behavior, but I'm pretty sure I killed a Scrobold Tosser from 3 squares away with a counterattack initiated from High Guard blocking it's thrown weapon. I'm not sure since I don't yet know a way to scroll up the combat log. If Dungeonmans do however possess the stremf to slay foes with projectiles blocked so hard they strike the attacker, far be it from me to disagree!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

E-Tap posted:

If Dungeonmans do however possess the stremf to slay foes with projectiles blocked so hard they strike the attacker, far be it from me to disagree!

Yeah the first time High Guard counter attacked a ranged enemy I just sat there and laughed. It's a bug, but it adds character so it's low priority.

Drakenel posted:

Was toying with the necromanser. (Dear god they're such a liability at the beginning before your first kill)

This was fine, however i learned that the dead tokens that got dropped since I used the stairs caused me to crash if I tried to pick them up.

I think I've corrected this in 1.06. Otherwise, yeah, it was an oversight on my behalf and the deadpulses become crashy landmines.

Since you've got Necromansy unlocked, you can roll a class with bow use, light armor, and just enough necromansy to conjure a Mostly. I've been hoping people try using conjured undeads as shields. Alternatively you could do a heavy melee build and take Redistribution of Health. Necromansy rewards people who wade into the fight because you can keep snapping up deadpulses.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The ID Scrolls to loots ratio gets poor rather quickly, especially mid game. An ID shrine or something is a good idea, as is just increasing the drop rates.

GeekTheMage posted:

Speaking of the Warren restocking, I ran the Warren with 4 different Dungeonmans and got the same Academy Artifact for alchemy each time. This seems a little broken since I've now got a fully upgraded alchemy lab for just rolling out the gate a few times. A fixed artifact like that should probably only be obtainable once.

The code I'd written for making sure the artifact was only obtainable once got a little flaky when someone would pick it up and then die before bringing it back. This was about a day before I pushed 1.05 out, and I already had other bugs to deal with so I just erred on the side of easier for the player.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It's hilarious to have a bunch of deadmooks though once you realize there really isn't a capacity to them beyond how many dead tokens you can find. The boss basically gets buried under a tide of skeletons rushing out from the door.

JTG
Feb 19, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

drat. What OS are you on? Also, I think I might have licked most of the problems with International players but maybe I haven't. Are you outside the US?

I'm on 64 bit vista, and I'm in the US.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This one's embarrassing, but I have a touch of carpal tunnel, so my fingers shake sometimes. I levelled up, went into the menu to look at what I should spend skill points on... and promptly double-tapped enter when I meant to single-tap to select a tab and then move the cursor, spending it immediately. Can you add a slight buffer that would prevent that?

e: also, this happened twice now

(It's not due to the Coldnado, I didn't have one up last time.)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 11, 2013

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This one's embarrassing, but I have a touch of carpal tunnel, so my fingers shake sometimes. I levelled up, went into the menu to look at what I should spend skill points on... and promptly double-tapped enter when I meant to single-tap to select a tab and then move the cursor, spending it immediately. Can you add a slight buffer that would prevent that?

e: also, this happened twice now

(It's not due to the Coldnado, I didn't have one up last time.)

Man, that's a screenful of developer fail, right down to "[victim] wields a mighty coldnado!" :-/

I should add a confirm window to the Mastery screen really. UI is just taking a back seat to everything else.

JTG posted:

I'm on 64 bit vista, and I'm in the US.

I've got another case of Vista being completely unable to even launch the game. I don't have a Vista box around here so I'm not sure what to do. There are Vista-specific XNA libraries but the other player I have with Vista tried those and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll keep looking for answers, XNA on Vista might be tricky but clearly there's a solution out there.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

This is a really great game and I hope madjackmcmad gets super rich once this goes on STEAM. Hopefully the game is finished before he gets too rich and has better things to do like tag teaming hookers with Gaben. :STREMF:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

This is a really great game and I hope madjackmcmad gets super rich once this goes on STEAM. Hopefully the game is finished before he gets too rich and has better things to do like tag teaming hookers with Gaben. :STREMF:

madjackmcmad should probably start planning his Steam card drops now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

madjackmcmad posted:

Man, that's a screenful of developer fail, right down to "[victim] wields a mighty coldnado!" :-/
Oh god, you didn't already know about that? I just assumed it was the first thing anyone had ever reported, since it happens literally every time you cast Coldnado. The message for it wearing off displays your name properly.

Also, I just died to stairs not working for me. Not really sure why. I moved onto them, and then got hit by an enemy, and then when I hit enter I didn't go up. It could easily have just been that I should have alt-tabbed out and back in to see if the stairs would work then instead of Combat Blinking and trying to fight... but yeah. Not a very helpful bug report.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It could easily have just been that I should have alt-tabbed out and back in to see if the stairs would work then instead of Combat Blinking and trying to fight... but yeah. Not a very helpful bug report.

Next build, I'm going to include a troubleshooting feature where you can disable sound entirely and you can see if the game still acts lovely. I appreciate you enduring that crap.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Is there a way of limiting the frame rate in this game? I get like 1500 fps and something in my PC makes a weird whistling noise whenever I load it up, I don't really need that many frames :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somecallmetim
Mar 30, 2004

immortal flow posted:

Is there a way of limiting the frame rate in this game? I get like 1500 fps and something in my PC makes a weird whistling noise whenever I load it up, I don't really need that many frames :(

All the pro roguelike players use 1500. It must be a bug where it thinks you were a pro.

• Locked thread