Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Scarf posted:

I know this thread is by no means a definitive history of Jazz, but as someone who has a passion for NOLA jazz, in my opinion it's still missing some of the key innovators and inventors of jazz: Buddy Bolden, Jelly Roll Morton, and King Oliver are credited with inventing and popularizing jazz music from altering ragtime pieces. And it was incredibly popular well before Armstrong came onto the scene. Most of America was already listening to Stride and Ragtime.

Without Bolden, we wouldn't have The Big Four beat.

If you wanna recommend some good Youtube links to put in the OP for them, I'll do it for you. Mind you, I'm going to limit it to about six max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone who really wants to hear it from the horse's mouth should check out Alan Lomax's recordings of Jelly Roll Morton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPt0IlmHJhs

For anyone who isn't familiar with Alan Lomax, check out his wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_lomax. Alan and his father, John, probably did more than any two other people in the country to save american musical traditions from being lost. Thousands of recordings from every part of the country. Jelly Roll Morton isn't exactly a reliable witness (he claims to have invented jazz) but the man talks about and plays hits from the scene that birthed jazz at the turn of the century.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 22, 2013

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Azure_Horizon posted:

If you wanna recommend some good Youtube links to put in the OP for them, I'll do it for you. Mind you, I'm going to limit it to about six max.

The problem with that is no recordings of Buddy Bolden exist. All we have are descriptions of the music he made.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Anyone who really wants to hear it from the horse's mouth should check out Alan Lomax's recordings of Jelly Roll Morton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPt0IlmHJhs

For anyone who isn't familiar with Alan Lomax, check out his wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_lomax. Alan and his father, John, probably did more than any two other people in the country to save american musical traditions from being lost. Thousands of recordings from every part of the country. Jelly Roll Morton isn't exactly a reliable witness (he claims to have invented jazz) but the man talks about and plays hits from the scene that birthed jazz at the turn of the century.

Yeah, Morton was his own best hype-man. There are also reports that he lied about the year he was born to make it seem more reputable that he was playing at a certain time period. Regardless though, even if Bolden didn't "invent" jazz, he certainly laid the foundation for it, then it was built up by Morton and Oliver.

There's also some evidence that jazz was developing almost simultaneously here in Charleston with the Jenkins Orphanage Band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bopD0Ud75RU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkins_Orphanage

And speaking of New Orleans jazz... anyone at the fest this year?

Scarf fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 23, 2013

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
on the opposite end of the spectrum... can we get some love for paul motian's various bands in this thread please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TtecBLdbx0

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed (ironically, as a bass player) his bass less Trio. Recorded some great music.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
http://live.jazzday.com/

International Jazz Day concert from Istanbul, streaming live.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Scarf posted:

Very cool. I just saw a kinda whack version of Love Supreme, but now it's an awesome set by John McLaughlin, a middle-eastern/indian style rhythm section, and an awesome violinist.

e: Very good resolution and camera work too.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was really digging that Afro Blue!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Marcus Miller lays down an excellent groove.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

LordPants posted:

I really enjoyed (ironically, as a bass player) his bass less Trio. Recorded some great music.
yeah his trio is loving insane. have you checked out paul motian with keith jarrett, charlie haden and dewey redman? that poo poo's unbelievable. motian and haden are my favorite bass+drums pair

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Scarf posted:

Ben Williams! He's a hip dude, came to my hometown for our jazz festival this year. I got to hang out with him :cool:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
It has been a while jazz thread. I hate whenever I go to Portland because I want to go to the jazz clubs there but never have the chance when I visit.

I did find out there's a jazz club here in Eugene! Awesome.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Azure_Horizon posted:

It has been a while jazz thread. I hate whenever I go to Portland because I want to go to the jazz clubs there but never have the chance when I visit.

I did find out there's a jazz club here in Eugene! Awesome.
What's the Northwest jazz scene like? I hear that it's fairly active but I haven't heard of any real hard hitting people that are out there.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Stark Fist posted:

What's the Northwest jazz scene like? I hear that it's fairly active but I haven't heard of any real hard hitting people that are out there.

Honestly? Not a lot. There's no big jazz festivals up here really, compared to California or the East Coast. I got into jazz purely because of my parents, really.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'm just breaking into jazz but it's so huge I'm not sure where to go. I've been listening to Bitches Brew for a couple weeks now and I need something new but I'm not sure if I should jump around in Davis' catalogue more or if there's something else that's a contemporary with a similar vibe. Any advice?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm just breaking into jazz but it's so huge I'm not sure where to go. I've been listening to Bitches Brew for a couple weeks now and I need something new but I'm not sure if I should jump around in Davis' catalogue more or if there's something else that's a contemporary with a similar vibe. Any advice?

Listen to A Love Supreme.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's tough to answer! My way of exploring jazz was (and still is) to find everyone who played on a record I liked and find their material. Considering how many legends were spawned out of groups that Miles formed, you definitely couldn't go wrong there. For example, if you are really interested in that early fusion sound, Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea are both accomplished jazz artists (to say the least) who played with Davis and put out really interesting albums in the 70s. Check out Hancock's stuff from the first half of the decade (especially the album Headhunters) and Corea's work with his group Return to Forever.

I will say that taking the time to poke around through the earlier eras of jazz will increase your enjoyment overall down the road. Besides being able to appreciate how the music is evolving, being familiar with jazz standards is also great because artists will use your expectations of how a standard should progress against you, just like how jazz uses theory to surprise you with unexpected tension and relief. Good luck on your journey and enjoy the music!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 3, 2013

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Moist if you liked the proto-fusion/slightly electric feel of Bitches Brew you can either take a step back and listen to Red Clay with Freddie Hubbard, or take a step forward into the madness of 1970's scientology and acid funk fusion with the albums Romantic Warrior, Heavy Weather, and Headhunters.

If you like the sound of Miles Davis in particular, listen to Porgy and Bess, Miles Ahead, or any of the Steamin' with, Groovin' with, etc albums.

If you like the "out" feel of the album, go grab some Thelonious Monk and see how you like it.

If you want another crazy masterpiece album that you need to sit down and listen to entirely without other distractions, get The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

Incredulous Dylan said everything better. Scroll through molluskgonebad's tflc log for a good variety of old and new stuff.

BigFactory posted:

Listen to A Love Supreme.

Bitches Brew and Love Supreme are both great albums, but I have never recommended them to someone new to the genre because they can be pretty intense and grating. And they're also so incredibly dissimilar I wouldn't recommend one because of the other like that.

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 31, 2015

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Bill Evans - Sunday At The Village Vanguard works for me, every time. But I have really entry level jazz tastes, so your mileage may vary.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Romantic Warrior

I was obsessed with that record as a teenager, specifically the title track which has some of DiMeola's best acoustic playing. Stanley Clarke kills it on every track too. I still love it but in retrospect the entire album is just absurd, which I guess should be expected of scientology-fusion. In high school though I just couldn't fathom how anyone could not like it.. I mean the cover is literally a knight in full medieval armor riding a horse.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you can't get ovet the pure synth cheese power of Romantic Warrior, check out the awesome Montreaux Return to Forever concert dates from 2008(?). Amazing playing, great audio and video fidelity with excellent camera work that focuses on the actual playing. I bought the blu ray for cheap and loved every minute. Must have been right before Chick split his thetans into two or whatever and dropped 50 pounds because he is looking plump.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also, anyone who liked Bitches Brew owes it to themselves to check out the two primary Mahavishnu Orchestra records, Birds of Fire and Inner Mounting Flame.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm listening to A Love Supreme now and liking it so far. Something about the avant-garde stuff does it for me. I've listened to Kind of Blue before and it's good but didn't hook me like bitches brew.

I should say that I got into jazz via some of Zorn's work so I do like some more off-the-wall stuff. Anyway I have plenty of listening to burn through, thanks everyone!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If you like avante-garde, you might want to also check out Dave Holland's "Conference of the Birds."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That is an amazing album. That was my bible for years when I was younger.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Man, I still need to give Conference of the Birds a good listen. I love What Goes Around, but I've yet to check out his entire discography.

In other news, I have finally picked up the Penguin Guide to Jazz. I already listen to a bit of it--I dig Albert Ayler, Andrew Hill, Susie Ibarra, the new Fire! record, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Sun Ra, Wayne Shorter, and Wadada Leo Smith especially. But there are some good artists I've been missing out on.

Christ, though, the book is enormous.

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm listening to A Love Supreme now and liking it so far. Something about the avant-garde stuff does it for me. I've listened to Kind of Blue before and it's good but didn't hook me like bitches brew.

I should say that I got into jazz via some of Zorn's work so I do like some more off-the-wall stuff. Anyway I have plenty of listening to burn through, thanks everyone!

I pretty much got into jazz just like you.

Here's some stuff I got into starting from Bitches Brew (and later finds that fit into that).

First of all, the early fusion albums from Bitches Brew -alumni are well worth checking out.

Joe Zawinul - Zawinul
Joe Zawinul was a big part of Bitches Brew sounding like it does (and a big reason imho why it's so different from the live recordings of the era) and Zawinul recorded pretty shortly after Bitches Brew has a lot of the same spirit.

Weather Report - S/T
Weather Report is better known for the latter Pastorius-era stuff, but I think the late 70's fusion-sound has not aged as well as earlier stuff. The first Weather Report album still has that dense murkiness of Bitches Brew and I definitely recommend checking it out even if you have heard some of the better known later WR stuff and ruled them out.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
Mahavishnu Orchestra was the most rocking of the popular fusion bands and Inner Mounting Flame might as well be labeled an instrumental rock album. Definitely one to check out if you like 70's rock and prog.

Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Herbie did three albums (Mwandishi, Crossings and Sextant) that I think took the Bitches Brew concept forward and deeper before the catchier Headhunters-funk broke the bank and brought Herbie back to more commercial grounds. All three are pretty good and similar in style, Sextant is just a personal favorite of the three.

Return to Forever - Light as a Feather
I prefer the first guitar-less incarnation of Chick Corea's Return to Forever and Light as a Feather is my pick of the two albums they made. Might be too light listening, though, if avant-garde ends up being your thing.

And some others:
Pharoah Sanders - Karma
Pharoah Sanders ended up being the 60-70's era sax guy apart from Coltrane that I always wanted to find since I got more interested in wilder sax playing through Zorn. Karma is a good starting point, but all of his Impulse! albums are excellent.

John Coltrane - Crescent
A Love Supreme is probably my single absolute favorite jazz album, but since that was already mentioned and you're digging it, Crescent is another good one from the era. As a side note, I've always found it kind of interesting that I like Coltrane's later albums from before Pharoah Sanders joined his band _and_ Pharoah Sanders' later solo albums better than the Coltrane albums that feature Sanders.

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
From 1959, Ornette's Shape of Jazz to Come is a little earlier, but definitely a good starting point for getting into the avant-garde and free jazz of the 60's.

Albert Ayler Trio - Spiritual Unity
Spiritual Unity is the big classic Ayler album and Ayler is definitely a guy to check out. If it seems too dense for you, I myself got into Ayler through the more accessible Love Cry, so no shame in trying that.

Archie Shepp - The Magic of Ju-Ju
Shepp's another interesting late 60's/early 70's character worth exploring.

Clifford Jordan Quartet - Glass Bead Games
A personal favorite in the "A Love Supreme" vein from the early 70's. If you do end up digging jazz of this era, there are lot of great albums from the 70's that are long out of print on indie labels that were run by the artists. Strata-East is one of the more legendary ones and IMHO Glass Bead Games is one of the greatest Strata-East releases.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Does anyone have recommendations for a Keith Jarrett album that's worth checking out? He's got so many albums I'm not sure where to go next. I've only really listened to "Survivor's Suite".

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

Does anyone have recommendations for a Keith Jarrett album that's worth checking out? He's got so many albums I'm not sure where to go next. I've only really listened to "Survivor's Suite".

For some other sides of Jarrett, The Köln Concert (solo piano improvisation) is a must if only for the historical significance and something from the standards-trio (with Gary Peacock on bass and Jack DeJohnette on drums), for example the latest Jarrett-release Somewhere released in May.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
So many recommendations, this'll keep me busy for months, thanks so much guys :tipshat:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Just pick a Standards Trio album with some songs you know. I personally can vouch for Up For It and My Foolish Heart, but they're all pretty excellent. Bye Bye Blackbird is a bit different, as it's a tribute to Miles Davis so it kinda helps if you know what Miles solo he's quoting in Straight No Chaser and stuff like that so it's maybe a bit more intellectual, so as to speak.

edit: I wish ECM would get out of the loving 60s or whatever they're in. I know part of their charm is that they put out amazing music, gouge the customer and have ridiculously anachronistic business practices but still. :argh:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 12, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

You can also try the "Throb" album he did with Gary Burton if you want to hear what jazz sounds like when it's overtly influenced by country and folk.

DirtyDirt
Apr 27, 2005
Chairman Of The Bored
I am interested in what I guess you would call 70s soul or funk jazz, particularly Donald Byrd and some of the CTI records, like Milt Jackson's Sunflower, Idris Muhammed's Power of Soul (a personal favorite), Street Lady, the Crusaders, and I am just getting into Hubert Laws. Any recommendations in that genre? The funkier or groovier the better.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Any of Herbie Hancock's albums with The Headhunters. Also, George Duke's "Feel." Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" is pretty funky too.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Thanks for the recs. I'll try to get to the library when I can.

DirtyDirt posted:

I am interested in what I guess you would call 70s soul or funk jazz, particularly Donald Byrd and some of the CTI records, like Milt Jackson's Sunflower, Idris Muhammed's Power of Soul (a personal favorite), Street Lady, the Crusaders, and I am just getting into Hubert Laws. Any recommendations in that genre? The funkier or groovier the better.

Really obvious and probably unhelpful answer is Headhunters. The only barely jazz answer is Stevie Wonder's Innervisions, which is pretty pop-y for your tastes but it has excellent grooves and overall one of the best albums ever. My only excuse for that answer is that "Golden Lady" is in the Real Book.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
You owe it to yourself to check out anything Larry Young did for Blue Note around that time period!

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

DirtyDirt posted:

If it's funkier or groovier you want, you could do worse than checking out the old Mastercuts Classic Jazz-Funk series. The first 4 I believe were done before the guy who set up MCs left and are solid comps full of Jazz-Funk (after the first 20 or so MC releases the company was sold and generally poor from then on). Normally full 12" cuts with excellent liner notes with histories etc that you can use it to identify artists and the specific time period (which is almost always the mid-late 70s but whatever). Sure a lot of the time it leans more on the Funk end of the spectrum (and occasionally simply being Funk) but whatever.

So for instance Byrd is on one of those albums with Dominoes which'll lead you to Places & Spaces, or there's Liston-Smith's Expansions from the album of the same name, or Unicorn from Dizzy and Lalo Schifrin's album Free Ride. That's just some examples and you probably know them already, but there's bound to be some in there you don't.

Of course the old classic stand by that served me well when I was a yout, was looking at contemporary or historical reviews. Anything with a 2 star or whatever was probably loving excellent and the beard stroker who wrote it just wasn't groovy enough to get it. I really wish I was joking there.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

You owe it to yourself to check out anything Larry Young did for Blue Note around that time period!

Actually that reminds me, I'd also say his post-Blue Note Arista Fuel stuff fits in there nicely too.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

If you dig that record, check out all of his American Quartet albums - Fort Yawuh, Birth, Byablue, Bop-Be, Shades, Mysteries, and Eyes of the Heart are all awesome records by the same band as Survivor's Suite. They made a few other albums too, those are just the ones I could recall offhand. Love that group.

edit: If I had to pick one of those records to check out, I'd pick Fort Yawuh.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

DirtyDirt posted:

Sounds like you have some good starting points, but just throwing a couple out there...

Donald Byrd - Black Byrd - I'm sure you have this one covered already, but it's a must for anyone else looking to get into 70's soul jazz. A big hit at it's time in 1973, it became Blue Notes best selling album of all time.
Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay - It's a CTI release and probably one of the more popular ones, so maybe you're familiar with this one as well, but another core 70's classic I think everyone should check out, especially the title track.
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss - Kirk's tribute to black popular music with versions of soul hits like Ain't No Sunshine, What's Going On and My Girl with some originals is some groovy stuff. The most groove oriented album Kirk ever did, but not a run of the mill jazz-versions-of-hit-songs album by any means.
Yusef Lateef - Yusef Lateef's Detroit: Latitude 42º 30' Longitude 83º - Yusef Lateef doesn't get mentioned that much in soul jazz contexts, but I've always liked this soulful tribute to Detroit.
Roy Ayers - Ubiquity - Vibraphonist Ayers started as more of a hard bop man, but went deep into funk/r&b in the 70's. Other Ayers albums of the same era are also highly recommended.

• Locked thread