Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Harlock posted:

Do you only get to pick one prize as a platinum member or can you get multiple?

Just one.

These rewards have been getting progressively more and more lame with each passing year. I know, I'm complaining about free stuff, but the statues and pin sets were really neat. Now it's just a matter of picking the one thing that isn't normally a purchasable-by-coin item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
I couldn't care less about physical stuff, and I've never played the original Mario Land, so I got that and beat it in one sitting. Activity Log says I played for 36 minutes and I died maybe three times. The physics are pretty bad, but despite that it's fun in an anxious, fast-paced sort of way.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I ended up going with the posters, because that pikmin one looks pretty cool, but I'm also a bit disappointed. I made sure to get platinum because of some of the past years rewards, and having seen this years, I really I feel like the 3DS game case I got with coins from a monthly thing was better than any of the end of year stuff. I also felt a little let down in the games up as monthly things you can purchase with the coins, but really that's just my bitterness over the 3DS not having VC titles for old non-handhelds. I just want super metroid on my 3DS :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I would love one of the Luigi posters if someone decides they don't care to hang it up. I'd be happy to buy it from you!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
When does the eshop normally update? Got my eye on SMT4 obviously.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mammal Sauce posted:

Super Mario Land 2 aged far worse than the original and its platforming physics are all kinds of floaty and horrible. It honestly feels more like Super Mario Men 5 from a 400-in-1 Famiclone cart than an actual Mario game. Good music though.

I could not disagree more here. SML2 is a fantastic game with good platforming and some weird, crazy and unique levels and fun secrets - I think it honesty might have aged better than SM3: Wario Land.

The original SML isn't terrible, I still load it up every once in a while but it seriously only takes like a half an hour to beat and the physics are really wonky (there doesn't seem to be any inertia at all). It's definitely still worth playing, since the final boss is a giant alien that you kill while flying a bi-plane and the music is rad.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bottom Liner posted:

I would love one of the Luigi posters if someone decides they don't care to hang it up. I'd be happy to buy it from you!

My understanding is that no one even gets their posters until December...

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rascyc posted:

When does the eshop normally update? Got my eye on SMT4 obviously.

around noon (eastern time) the day of. If it's a first party nintendo game they usually have it up on midnight.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Does Kokuga have anything to do with Ikaruga? Is it any good regardless?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So um. Looks like I may be not in the country by the time Nintendo prizes ship. :( I guess I'll give mine away since it seems a shame to go without. If someone would like, I can have my prize sent to them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think Kokuga was made by the Ikaruga guy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Does Kokuga have anything to do with Ikaruga? Is it any good regardless?

Kokuga was designed by a guy called Hiroshi Iuchi who worked on Ikaruga and a bunch of other games for Treasure.

It's a top-down tank shooter (not to be mistaken for a twin-stick game like Geometry Wars or whatever) with an interesting branching stage system and local co-op via Download Play. I wouldn't call it a hardcore STG exactly but I'm not sure it'd have a lot of casual appeal, either.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Aerofallosov posted:

So um. Looks like I may be not in the country by the time Nintendo prizes ship. :( I guess I'll give mine away since it seems a shame to go without. If someone would like, I can have my prize sent to them.

Why not just take a digital download?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kokuga was designed by a guy called Hiroshi Iuchi who worked on Ikaruga and a bunch of other games for Treasure.

It's a top-down tank shooter (not to be mistaken for a twin-stick game like Geometry Wars or whatever) with an interesting branching stage system and local co-op via Download Play. I wouldn't call it a hardcore STG exactly but I'm not sure it'd have a lot of casual appeal, either.

Huh. Is the soundtrack/artstyle/general aesthetics similar to Ikaruga? That was the reason why I loved it so much.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
In the Plaza, there's this one empty space on the top row that's bugging the hell out of me. Any idea what it is?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

deadwing posted:

Why not just take a digital download?

My backlog is pretty big as it sits, mostly. I try to meter how many games I have at any one time. I also thought it'd just be a cool thing to do for someone.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Raserys posted:

In the Plaza, there's this one empty space on the top row that's bugging the hell out of me. Any idea what it is?

It's for when you have Miis waiting at your gate. When you get a streetpass, an arrow will appear in that empty square that'll take you to the plaza gate.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Ohh. I have yet to get a streetpass after getting the new games :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Huh. Is the soundtrack/artstyle/general aesthetics similar to Ikaruga? That was the reason why I loved it so much.

I wouldn't say it look like Ikaruga but it definitely looks cool; it's got a neat VR-meets-Xevious look that's well-suited to 3D. The music is by Manabu Namiki who's best known for his Cave sountracks.

I do think it's an interesting game but it sits in a weird middle-ground between being a pick-up-and-play game and a "serious" STG, so I wonder who it's gonna appeal to.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Raserys posted:

Ohh. I have yet to get a streetpass after getting the new games :(

It was there before the update too. It just never pops up unless you get more Miis in before you've played with the ones you got last time.

EDIT: Actually, I guess you mean the touchscreen. I assumed that was for Find Mii 2.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I'm sure this has been brought up in this thread before, so I apologize if I missed a bunch of posts a few pages back, but... what in the world is going on in the Project X Zone demo? I downloaded Demo B for whatever that's worth, it throws me onto a SRPG map, it feels like a normal turn based SRPG until I attack, and then it's just button mashing like crazy, hitting Y when my experience percentage is high enough, and hammering L and R when those icons pop up. It's crazy enough, I recognize enough of the characters, and the look is cool enough I think that I'm interested, I just wonder if I'm missing something in the combat... Is there skill involved other than picking when to use your special attacks and stuff?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Eep, I got a few folks. Checking their time stamps and grabbing whomever was first. Thanks, guys. I'd hate for it to go to waste. I'll return PMs shortly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mammal Sauce posted:

Super Mario Land 2 aged far worse than the original and its platforming physics are all kinds of floaty and horrible. It honestly feels more like Super Mario Men 5 from a 400-in-1 Famiclone cart than an actual Mario game. Good music though.

I disagree completely. I love Mario Land 2. Mario Land 3 blows it out of the water though since Wario is the best ever.

Agree on the music. Super Mario Land 2 had some of the most memorable video game music though in my opinion. To this day these are some of my favorite VG tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhbYWbPmkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-eOtcyP9l4

I mean holy poo poo that first one is just top loving notch

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

sentrygun posted:

EDIT: Actually, I guess you mean the touchscreen. I assumed that was for Find Mii 2.

Never finished Find Mii 1 either.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I disagree completely. I love Mario Land 2. Mario Land 3 blows it out of the water though since Wario is the best ever.

Agree on the music. Super Mario Land 2 had some of the most memorable video game music though in my opinion. To this day these are some of my favorite VG tunes:

You forgot one of the best songs :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmD9WnLYR5I

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is Camelot doing anything right now? I'm replaying Golden Sun Dark Dawn right now and I know the game's plot is stupid as all hell and the writing is horrible and the characters are just retarded but the gameplay was fun and I'm wondering how the whole thing will end.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Calaveron posted:

Is Camelot doing anything right now?

Mario Golf: World Tour, which if the tennis game was any indication won't have any RPG elements in it at all.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The RPG stuff wasn't that amazing other than giving you a reason to practice skills instead of going straight to rounds. Toadstool Tour (GC) was great other than a sometimes wonky camera. I'm really disappointed World Tour slid to 2014.

Also, WarioLand > SML2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Flumpus posted:

Is there skill involved other than picking when to use your special attacks and stuff?
Yes.

You deal more damage if you hit them just before the enemy hits the ground. The idea is to start a combo, then combo it so that all the hits land and that you pick them back up just before they touch back onto the ground. It's a matter of timing and understanding how the attacks hit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yes.

You deal more damage if you hit them just before the enemy hits the ground. The idea is to start a combo, then combo it so that all the hits land and that you pick them back up just before they touch back onto the ground. It's a matter of timing and understanding how the attacks hit.

Or you just use a Cross Hit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Or that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

I could not disagree more here. SML2 is a fantastic game with good platforming and some weird, crazy and unique levels and fun secrets - I think it honesty might have aged better than SM3: Wario Land.

The original SML isn't terrible, I still load it up every once in a while but it seriously only takes like a half an hour to beat and the physics are really wonky (there doesn't seem to be any inertia at all). It's definitely still worth playing, since the final boss is a giant alien that you kill while flying a bi-plane and the music is rad.

My biggest problems with SML2 are aesthetics. Not that poor aesthetics stop me from liking a game (See Deus Ex), but I can't remember a single song from SML2 and the more zoomed in graphics made everything feel slower.

Anatharon posted:

Is there any long, good Eshop games that aren't available on retail?

As for ones on retail, what're SMT: Soul Hackers and Code of Princess like?

Going to ask this again. I'm sorta interested in the latter two, but I'm also curious if not using the Eshop much made me miss anything really good. :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

VanillaKid posted:

I couldn't care less about physical stuff, and I've never played the original Mario Land, so I got that and beat it in one sitting. Activity Log says I played for 36 minutes and I died maybe three times. The physics are pretty bad, but despite that it's fun in an anxious, fast-paced sort of way.

The internet makes me feel so old sometimes

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhbYWbPmkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-eOtcyP9l4

I didn't even click the links but I'm pretty sure I know EXACTLY what the songs are and they just started playing in my head. I loved SML2, spent hours and hours on it as a kid.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So it turns out Ghostlight is still pursuing an EU release for Devil Survivor 2:

quote:

On to other news now. All you Devil Survivor fans out there will be pleased to hear that we have managed to finalise discussions with our partners regarding Devil Survivor 2 on DS and have decided to go ahead with the following plan. Devil Survivor 2 will be released exclusively for pre-order through the Ghostlight Webstore with a (TBC) minimum quantity. Should we achieve this minimum quantity of pre-orders within one month, we will manufacture and release the game. However, if we don’t reach the minimum then everyone who pre-ordered the game will be refunded and the game will unfortunately not be released. We realise that we’re asking for a huge amount of trust and support from our fans on this one, but we know that you are a very special lot and you all seem to fully appreciate what we’re trying to achieve in bringing over JRPGs like DS2. We simply couldn’t do what we’re doing without you and with your continued support for the Ghostlight cause we’re hoping we can give DS2 its best shot at getting a European release. As a little incentive, if you do pre-order the game, as a special thank you we’ll add your name to the manual :)

If you have any feedback or questions on this, we’d be very interested to know your thoughts so please let us know in the comments below. Is this something you would be interested in supporting if the pricing was right?

I know some of you have said you’d rather wait for a potential release of the new 3DS remake, which is fair enough, but for anyone who’s sitting on the fence I must say that I’ve really enjoyed Devil Survivor 2 and think that it would be the perfect game for any of you looking for your SRPG fix after finishing Fire Emblem and Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

So it turns out Ghostlight is still pursuing an EU release for Devil Survivor 2:

Even if it doesn't get an official release, at least people can still import it. That's what I did and I feel like most people in the EU that wanted to play it probably must've done the same by now...

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

This is so painful.
It's 20fucking13.
Just loving release it digitally. :argh:

I mean, it's not like you can't sell jrpgs in Europe, even Time and Eternity, even Neptunia has a Pegi rating.

Ah ok, it's a DS title. Sorry. v:v:v

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 16, 2013

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

limaCAT posted:

This is so painful.
It's 20fucking13.
Just loving release it digitally. :argh:

I mean, it's not like you can't sell jrpgs in Europe, even Time and Eternity, even Neptunia has a Pegi rating.

Ah ok, it's a DS title. Sorry. v:v:v

It does have a 3DS remake which doesn't add that many 3D features, but it has more content.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

pixaal posted:

It does have a 3DS remake which doesn't add that many 3D features, but it has more content.

That was the case for the 3DS port of the first Devil Survivor game. I think they're redoing cutscenes to include more 3D for the DS2 port, but it's not even out in Japan yet, so who knows for sure.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Strange Quark posted:

That was the case for the 3DS port of the first Devil Survivor game. I think they're redoing cutscenes to include more 3D for the DS2 port, but it's not even out in Japan yet, so who knows for sure.

They're definitely adding new animated sequences to it, but it isn't clear if it's just like an opening animation or if it will also be used for actual cutscenes sprinkled throughout the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZfYvoGW8ug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You can't crit during a Cross Hit.

• Locked thread