Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The SF Chronicle also has the worst website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Trabisnikof posted:

And now you'll have the pleasure of paying to view their lovely articles on their lovely website.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gret posted:

And now you'll have the pleasure of paying to view their lovely articles on their lovely website.

The paywall is there for your own good.

One of favorite Colbert interviews was the one in which he told replicant Gavin Newstrom his book on digital democracy was a pile of buzz word loaded poo poo.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 16, 2013

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Yup, and now they're charging for full access to their poo poo content on their poo poo website.

edit: gently caress, beaten again!

Amarkov posted:

This, but unironically. The median household income in San Francisco is seventy three thousand dollars.

I forgot to reply to this earlier.

It's funny that you're acting like a household income of $73,000 is a massive amount of money in SF. That's a middle class income in SF. Don't forget that housing is insanely expensive here, and that pay is also high (SF has the highest minimum wage in the nation, at $10.55, and also had the highest average wage increase of any American city over the past year). $73,000 is not going to go nearly as far in SF as it will in say, Alabama, or most of the US for that matter. And tens of thousands of SF residents still have incomes that would be considered low anywhere in the nation.

Here are the most recent household income stats for SF (2011):

households making less than $10,000: 21,561 - 6.4%
$10,000 to $14,999: 20,258 - 6.0%
$15,000 to $24,999: 28,152 - 8.3%
$25,000 to $34,999: 23,862 - 7.1%
$35,000 to $49,999: 31,665 - 9.4%
$50,000 to $74,999: 47,260 - 14.0%
$75,000 to $99,999: 37,965 - 11.2%
$100,000 to $149,999: 55,237 - 16.3%
$150,000 to $199,999: 29,848 - 8.8%
$200,000 or more: 42,558 - 12.6%

Also:

people living in poverty: 99,977 - 12.3%

Don't get me wrong, there are tons of wealthy people in SF, probably more than your average US city, but they are not in the majority.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 16, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rah! posted:

Don't get me wrong, there are tons of wealthy people in SF, probably more than your average US city, but they are not in the majority.

San Francisco is a fascinating city because the gap between rich and poor is so visible and so close together.
$73,000 is not "a lot of money" if you live in San Francisco proper, but it is quite a bit for the bay. More and more poor and middle class people are being pushed from SF proper to the east bay and beyond (why do you think Stockton has so many people?).

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

The California Burrito Zone actually extends into parts of Oregon, Nevada and western Arizona. Quality may peak in certain locales, but you'll see what I mean if you drive east across the southwest sampling burritos as you go. (By the time you get to New Mexico you'll just give up and have nothing but wet burritos.)

I can absolutely confirm that the green chile chicken milanesa burritos in New Mexico beat the crap out of anything, ever. California is basically Tex-Mex but "fresher" and even more so meant for white people.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nm posted:

San Francisco is a fascinating city because the gap between rich and poor is so visible and so close together.
$73,000 is not "a lot of money" if you live in San Francisco proper, but it is quite a bit for the bay. More and more poor and middle class people are being pushed from SF proper to the east bay and beyond (why do you think Stockton has so many people?).

Very true, but SF does have plenty of middle class people too, it's not just wealthy and poor people. And I know that $73k goes farther in the rest of the Bay Area, but I was just talking about SF city proper. As for poor people getting pushed out, it's been going on to some extent for a few decades now but it's been speeding up over the past 15 years, and is even affecting places like Oakland. Poor people are ending up in places like Antioch, Fairfield, Richmond, Vallejo, etc, and also to the central valley, in places like Sacramento, Stockton, etc. In regards to Stockton, the US census actually added it (and San Joaquin county) to the San-Francisco-San Jose-Oakland Combined Statistical Area earlier this year due to the percentage of commuters coming to the Bay Area (a number which has been rising for a long time, but which just recently passed the threshold to be combined with the SJ-SF-Oakland CSA).

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

nm posted:

Yep. One of the best parts of the city (Nob Hill) is literally two blocks or less away from one of the worst (Tenderloin).

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

sincx posted:

Yep. One of the best parts of the city (Nob Hill) is literally two blocks or less away from one of the worst (Tenderloin).

It's always amusing seeing confused tourists wandering through the tenderloin. Not amusing when poo poo goes wrong though, like robberies, or people getting shot/stabbed/assaulted or stepping in hobo poo poo.

Black Dynamite posted:

I can absolutely confirm that the green chile chicken milanesa burritos in New Mexico beat the crap out of anything, ever. California is basically Tex-Mex but "fresher" and even more so meant for white people.

Green chile is great, but what is with people thinking dumb things about Mexican food in CA? CA Mexican food is for the most part not like tex mex. And much of it is pretty drat authentic and not "for white people", as you put it (yet poo poo tons of white people eat it anyways! :monocle:), while plenty more of it is Americanized "white people food". Which makes perfect sense, seeing as CA has millions of Mexicans and millions of non-hispanic white people. In fact, there are as many hispanic/latino people (mostly Mexican) in California now as there are non-hispanic white people. In a few years, non-hispanic whites will be a minority in CA.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 16, 2013

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp
Use the number of white people in a food venue to decide how authentic it is.

Little chinese place that my roommates and myself are the only white people there *ever*? Awesome as gently caress and full of yum stuff like intestines.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Rah! posted:

Green chile is great, but what is with people thinking dumb things about Mexican food in CA? CA Mexican food is for the most part not like tex mex. And much of it is pretty drat authentic and not "for white people", as you put it (yet poo poo tons of white people eat it anyways! :monocle:), while plenty more of it is Americanized "white people food". Which makes perfect sense, seeing as CA has millions of Mexicans and millions of non-hispanic white people. In fact, there are as many hispanic/latino people (mostly Mexican) in California now as there are non-hispanic white people. In a few years, non-hispanic whites will be a minority in CA.

Prediction: in 50 years Hispanic whites will just be whites and mestizos will still be Mexicans. :freep:

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Prediction: in 50 years Hispanic whites will just be whites and mestizos will still be Mexicans. :freep:

It's already happened to about half my family, Mexican descendants from New Mexico that moved to California. :tinfoil:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It's happened in America before with all the European minorities. A few generations in and they're white because white is a made up category that you're basically in if your skin is between 'moonstone' and 'uncooked bagel' in tone and you don't have a funny accent.

edit: Oh, and you've got to pronounce your last name wrong. My last name is Dutch and should sound like a guy clearing his throat and puking at the same time, but it's been watered down to a boring series of sounds.

I used to know this Japanese-descended guy whose last name was O'Hara because the guy at immigration couldn't pronounce Okata when his great--grandparents came through.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 16, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The best newspaper in the state is the Arcata Eye.

Christ no.

Give me loving flashbacks why don't you, anyway, the Eye closes in a couple of more months anyway, unless it sold already. Guy who did it is retiring.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Rah! posted:

In regards to Stockton, the US census actually added it (and San Joaquin county) to the San-Francisco-San Jose-Oakland Combined Statistical Area earlier this year due to the percentage of commuters coming to the Bay Area (a number which has been rising for a long time, but which just recently passed the threshold to be combined with the SJ-SF-Oakland CSA).

Wow, it has? I guess you get towns like Mountain House and Tracy, but then the whole region got hosed by the huge increase in gas prices since the turn of the millennium...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

To say that either Cali-mex is Tex-mex or that Cali-mex is authentic Mexican is silly. Is there authentic Mexican in California? Totally, but that's not Cali-mex either. Hint: if it comes with an entire avocado, its probably Cali-mex.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

To say that either Cali-mex is Tex-mex or that Cali-mex is authentic Mexican is silly. Is there authentic Mexican in California? Totally, but that's not Cali-mex either. Hint: if it comes with an entire avocado, its probably Cali-mex.

Totally unrelated, but California rolls were what got me into sushi :colbert:

...and from there, we have probably a billion variations on the CA roll (e.g. Rainbow, Catepillar, Dragon, etc etc etc)

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Trabisnikof posted:

It also really doesn't matter. Just call it 'fusion' cuisine and be done with it. There's plenty of variation on how Mexican food is done inside Mexico, too. I mainly just miss the hell out of it.

I've been told by some of my Chinese-Californian friends that you can get better Chinese food in San Francisco than in many parts of China, since the ingredients are more readily available and of better quality. Is this just rah-rah Cali boosterism?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Obdicut posted:

I've been told by some of my Chinese-Californian friends that you can get better Chinese food in San Francisco than in many parts of China, since the ingredients are more readily available and of better quality. Is this just rah-rah Cali boosterism?

CAN get? Yeah, you probably CAN. If you were to pick any two restaurants at random, though? No.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm sad California doesn't really have a Texas Tribune equivalent.

Judging by the U-T's open and unapologetic bent, it's more of a Daily Oklahoman equivalent now.

(Routinely judged America's worst newspaper by trade orgs when it came to newsroom and editorial independence)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Obdicut posted:

Suggested revision above.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

Technically speaking, non-hispanic whites are already a minority in CA. But so is everybody else. :eng101:

But yeah, in a few years, they won't even be the largest minority.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thanatosian posted:

Technically speaking, non-hispanic whites are already a minority in CA. But so is everybody else. :eng101:

But yeah, in a few years, they won't even be the largest minority.

So's Texas actually (and actually TexMex is a lot spicier than normal mexican food).

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Jesus Christ, enough about loving food. Here, have some more details about San Diego's sexual harassment allegations.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-filner-20130716,0,3575515.story

quote:

SAN DIEGO — Turning up the pressure on Mayor Bob Filner to resign, three former supporters Monday released details of his alleged sexual harassment of women, including the forcible kissing of two constituents and grabbing the buttocks and breast of a staff member.

In a City Hall elevator, Filner told a female staffer that women employees would do better "if they worked without their panties on," attorney Marco Gonzalez said at a news conference outside City Hall.

Filner's behavior toward women is so egregious that women who work for him call him a "dirty old man" and coined the phrases "the Filner headlock" and "the Filner dance" to describe how he isolates women and then makes unwanted advances, Gonzalez said.

The accusations came two hours after the 70-year-old Democrat issued a statement saying he would not resign and that a fair investigation would find him innocent of sexual harassment.

"As your elected mayor, I fully expect to be accountable to the citizens of San Diego for all of my actions," Filner said in his statement. "But as a citizen of this country, I also expect — and am entitled to — due process, and the opportunity to respond in a fair and impartial venue to specific allegations."

Later Monday, Filner told San Diego television station KUSI that his behavior has been misinterpreted. "I'm a hugger of both men and women," he said. He said he has apologized to his staff.

Although Filner last week admitted to treating women on his staff poorly, he stopped short of admitting to sexual harassment. He also promised to seek professional help, take a sexual harassment class and apologize to women he may have offended.

Filner said he has hired a retired county official, Walt Ekard, as interim chief operating officer to make sure the workings of government are not hurt by the controversy. Ekard will take over many of the powers that Filner wielded: approving city contracts, giving orders to employees, selecting top management officials.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He's absolutely correct that he is entitled to due process. It makes me uncomfortable that people's default stance is to assume that he actually sexually harassed those women. What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

He's absolutely correct that he is entitled to due process. It makes me uncomfortable that people's default stance is to assume that he actually sexually harassed those women. What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

You don't need use the bar for legal guilt in evaluating your local scumbag.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

That applies to legal punishment. E.g., the courts and the government should treat him as innocent until proven guilty.

Voters, on the other hand, can have him recalled for any reason or no reason, and politicians can be booted for things that are not crimes (infidelity, for one common example). If the voters of San Diego decide that this guy is a loving creep, they can oust him, and he's not "entitled" to some presumption of innocence until proven guilty to the standards required by a criminal court proceeding.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just recently moved in with a friend who lives in Folsom. I didn't think it was possible for a town to be whiter than my previous home of suburban Texas, but jesus christ Folsom is the whitest god drat thing I've ever seen.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Pomp posted:

I just recently moved in with a friend who lives in Folsom. I didn't think it was possible for a town to be whiter than my previous home of suburban Texas, but jesus christ Folsom is the whitest god drat thing I've ever seen.

Let me show you Danville/Alamo (excluding the Dougherty Valley area)...

Danville at least voted for Obama twice, but then I remember when I drove north on 680 during spring 2012, I saw billboards in Alamo saying "Obama, here's your pink slip! Hands off my healthcare!" by the East Bay Tea Party :suicide:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Voters, on the other hand, can have him recalled for any reason or no reason, and politicians can be booted for things that are not crimes (infidelity, for one common example). If the voters of San Diego decide that this guy is a loving creep, they can oust him, and he's not "entitled" to some presumption of innocence until proven guilty to the standards required by a criminal court proceeding.

I guess what I am saying is that before making major decisions - such as a mayor recall - we need to launch a formal investigation and evaluate all information carefully. Recalling a mayor should not be a simple matter of someone going to the media and saying, "he grabbed my boobs and butt!" I'm staunchly against sexism, but I also know that a lot of people are assholes and lie all the time.

The standards required by criminal court proceedings should be applied to all situations where the consequences are as significant as being convicted of a crime. Hell, even for simple bullshit like office politics one should never assume the gossip is right. There are two sides to every story.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

nm posted:

Rent control is the only thing that keeps working class people in the city. Rents can vary widely by length of tenure. A friend of mine has a floor of a place in Cole valley, 1br, pays $850 because he's been there since the late 80s. The floor above him rents for over $3k

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The rental market in SF is insane. If you are looking at a place close to a Google/Apple/Facebook shuttle route then you are hosed unless you can compete with the people offering six months or a year's rent in advance. It isn't unusual for a building to have new tenants paying 2-3x (or more) above other tenants who have been there 10 years or more.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 16, 2013

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

withak posted:

The rental market in SF is insane. If you are looking at a place close to a Google/Apple/Facebook shuttle route then you are hosed unless you can compete with the people offering six months or a year's rent in advance. It isn't unusual for a building to have new tenants paying 2-3x (or more) above other tenants who have been there 10 years or more.

It's a gigantic bubble that is growing day by day. Things won't be pretty for new houseowners once it pops.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

enraged_camel posted:

I guess what I am saying is that before making major decisions - such as a mayor recall - we need to launch a formal investigation and evaluate all information carefully. Recalling a mayor should not be a simple matter of someone going to the media and saying, "he grabbed my boobs and butt!" I'm staunchly against sexism, but I also know that a lot of people are assholes and lie all the time.

The standards required by criminal court proceedings should be applied to all situations where the consequences are as significant as being convicted of a crime. Hell, even for simple bullshit like office politics one should never assume the gossip is right. There are two sides to every story.

Are you loving stupid? He doesn't have to commit a crime to lose the support of the voters. The man has multiple sexual harassment claims pending, from both subordinates and constituents, AND he admits to treating woman poorly (probably the nicest possible way to put it) which alone would be enough to recall him.

Maybe when women make claims of sexual harassment YOU think they are engaging in office politics or being lying bitches. Most of us have the brains to realize that in fact his abusive behavior was probably even more severe than what has so far come to light.

More details, as if they are necessary:

quote:

On Monday, Filner's ex-fiancee, Bronwyn Ingram, told local public radio station KPBS that Filner should resign and that she had caught him making dates with other women and sending them sexually explicit emails. She added, however, that she does not know whether allegations that he harassed his staff are true.

At the news conference held by Gonzalez, attorney Cory Briggs and former Councilwoman Donna Frye, several Filner supporters carried signs reading "Due Process for Mayor Filner."

But in impassioned, even angry tones, Frye and the two attorneys rejected the idea that Filner is being denied due process.

Gonzalez said a sexual harassment claim will be filed with city officials. Lawsuits are also a possibility, he said. "Bob Filner is tragically unsafe for any woman to approach," Frye said.

Frye and the lawyers, all longtime Filner supporters, declined to release the names of women making allegations against him or disclose how many women they have interviewed about the mayor.

Briggs said they are trying to "balance the public's right to know and the women's right to privacy."

Gonzalez said that once a claim is filed, investigators would talk to other mayoral staff members and the police officers assigned to the mayor's security detail. They will find that Filner has a pattern of pushing himself on women, starting with leering comments and then escalating to forcible kissing and groping, Gonzalez said.

Frye said that Filner makes sure he is alone with a woman, then asks whether she is married and then hands out compliments. With one constituent, he ended up forcibly kissing her, Frye said.

He did the same with another constituent and then, even after she rebuffed his advances, he grabbed one of her breasts, Frye said.

"This mayor cannot control himself," Gonzalez said. "He does not deserve to be the mayor of this city any longer."

Last week, after Filner released a contrite video and admitted "I need help," Frye, Gonzalez and Briggs rejected his plea as inadequate.

To allow Filner to remain in office would only "enable" him to continue abusing women, said Frye, who worked briefly for Filner.

As supporters, Frye and Gonzalez said they talked to Filner before going public with last week's demand. They realized he would not change, they said.

Only Filner's resignation will "help stop this horrible, horrible civic nightmare," Frye said.

Several members of the City Council — Democrats and Republicans — have called for Filner to resign, as have a list of other officeholders. On Monday, Reps. Susan Davis and Scott Peters, both San Diego Democrats, called for him to step down.

"His behavior, if not illegal, is reprehensible," Davis said.

He is a disgusting old creep who is an embarrassment to San Diego (as if it needed more embarrassments)

Play fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 16, 2013

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

enraged_camel posted:

The biggest problem is going to be his effectiveness in governing the city. If people from the same party think you're antagonistic (which he is) and a scumbag (which is what is alleged), then how is he going to get any support for whatever he wants to do?

He's already backtracked from his first statement, which was "I need help"- that would seem to indicate that he's acknowledging that the problem exists, not denying the allegations forcefully.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

etalian posted:

The biggest use of water is agriculture, which takes up 85% of the total water consumption for the state.

It's a also a sore point for the old North vs South infighting.
CONGRESS-CREATED
DUST BOWL

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

rope kid posted:

CONGRESS-CREATED
DUST BOWL

ANYONE
BUT
CARDOZA even though he retired last year
I swear to god, between 2010 (when I first saw them) and June 2013 (my most recent trip through the I-5) an OBAMA-CREATED DUST BOWL sign popped up along the freeway.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 16, 2013

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Play posted:

Are you loving stupid?

No I'm not, and perhaps you should learn to make your point in a more civil manner.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

enraged_camel posted:

It's a gigantic bubble that is growing day by day. Things won't be pretty for new houseowners once it pops.

I actually doubt housing in SF is going to "pop" nor would I call it a bubble. It will plateau soon (I hope) and will probably decline a bit and come back up as per the general economy changes (i.e. another tech burst); however, more and more people are interested in leaving their suburban upbringings and getting into urban cities. Especially as gentrification continues and I know there's a huge list of young people who're eager to move into the city. I would loving love to live in SF if I could find a 1B that allows dogs (nothing does right now as it's 100% renter's market and isn't going to change for the forseeable future) under 2K but it ain't going to happen.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Pomp posted:

You think Folsom is bad, go check out El Dorado Hills, or Rancho Murieta. The latter of which is one giant gated community. Pale skin as far as the eye can see.

• Locked thread