Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

alcharagia posted:

Kuwabara had a first name?!

Yeah, he does. I think it only gets brought up in the manga, where his sister always refers to him by it. Since, you know, her last name is Kuwabara too.

EDIT: Why does this site not have post numbers so I know that I'm about to post on a new page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Bufuman posted:

Yeah, he does. I think it only gets brought up in the manga, where his sister always refers to him by it. Since, you know, her last name is Kuwabara too.

EDIT: Why does this site not have post numbers so I know that I'm about to post on a new page?

Haha, everyone look and pay attention to this HUGE NERD!!!

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
So I tried to play Suiko 1 on my roommate's new LED tv and it can't display any PS1 games. Am I completely hosed short of going to Goodwill and buying an ancient CRT tv?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Verbose posted:

So I tried to play Suiko 1 on my roommate's new LED tv and it can't display any PS1 games. Am I completely hosed short of going to Goodwill and buying an ancient CRT tv?

I assume you're playing it on a PS1 directly then? You could try buying a composite video to vga adapter box and plugging that directly into your computer monitor, assuming it has a VGA input.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I assume you're playing it on a PS1 directly then? You could try buying a composite video to vga adapter box and plugging that directly into your computer monitor, assuming it has a VGA input.

EDIT: I'm a moron, I got a vga input, I'll give it a try

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Genso Suikogaiden - Playthrough 1 - Part 2 - Blue Moon Village

When we last left our heroine and her baggage boy, they were heading up to their room after a fancy dinner in a suspicious mansion.

Sierra and Nash don't seem to have caught on yet, though.

: "Well then, I'll just..."

: "This is a big room but there is only one bed."

: "Yeah... so..."

: "You seem to be expecting that we will be sharing the bed, but are you prepared for what that means?"

: "Prepared?"

: "Were you not the one who said that there should be some sort of dessert after dinner?"

Good call, Nash.

: "Wimp..."

I put out the lights, and Sierra and I fell asleep in our respective beds.

In the dead of night, I awake with a start.

Something doesn't feel right.

In the military, you develop certain senses...

I'm trained to wake up at the slightest hint of bloodlust, no matter how deeply asleep I am.

Music change.

: "Be silent. I am awake."

: "Do you feel that...? Somebody's coming."

: "I take it you did not order room service...?"

I love how she can be smug even now.

: "What kind of room service emanates bloodlust like that?! There are two, three... maybe four people. They're trying to conceal their footsteps, but they haven't received much training."

: "Huh. You got all that from the sound of their footsteps? Not bad, for a human."

: "I'm honored by your compliment. By the way, Sierra... Your old friend... by any chance, is he...?"

: "........."

: "The only business I have is with him. I will leave the lowly ones wot the lowly you."

: "So this was your plan all along..."

: "Indeed. As you are a seeker of the True Runes, you should know."

: "Know what?"

: "True Rune bearers are no ordinary foes."

This line actually bothers me a bit, because it sounds like she's implying that her "old friend" (emphasis on "old") has a True Rune, which he does not.

I put my ear to the floor, and focused on the sound of the footsteps. By judging the intervals between strides and the way the floor creaked, I could estimate their weight and height. Even though they tried not to, they made some noise.

They proved themselves amateurs after all...

We don't have any time to set elaborate traps. We'll have to work with what we have on hand. I'll have to show off my brains and skill here.

Calmly, I looked around the room.

In the bathroom, there's still some water left in the bathtub. Next to it was a full-length mirror.

I quickly dragged the bathtub out of the bathroom and carefully turned it over.

The door flew open with a bang, and the poured into the room. why had they even bothered to try to conceal their footsteps?

With the water on the floor, I could determine my enemy's position by the sounds they made. I aimed my right hand at the floor and reached into my sleeve with my left hand.

Using my spring-operated dart launcher, I fired an iron dart straight into the floor.

: "Sierra!"

: "Ugh. No way. I am not wasting my energy on these lowlifes."

She puts her hands on her hips and scowls a lot.

: "Don't be stupid! Come on, hurry up!"

: " 'Stupid', hm? How rude."

: "Huh?"

Sierra shoved me aside, flinging a bold of lightning. Sure she'd hit me, I tried to get out of the way, and saw that the intruders had been burnt to a crisp.

She had defeated them all with a single hit.

About her aim, though...

: "Sierra! Are you trying to kill me?!"

: "You are alive, are you not? Your cloak should be enough to protect you from this sort of lightning."

: "......... Well... A victory is a victory, I guess."

: "Thanks to me."

: "As if! We won because I poured water on the floor!"

: "By the way... This is not time for idle chatter."

: "Huh...?"

So, this is actually pretty normal in the world of Suiko when it comes to vampires. I'm not sure why, exactly, but instead of turning other people into vampires, they're much more likely to kill them and then turn them into zombies. Neclord did this for pretty much an entire village.

: "Wretched creatures..."

Sierra is, thusly, not nearly as impressed as Nash, who has significantly less experience with the ways of vampires.

: "Wow, this is some 'friend' you've got... How are we going to kill the undead...?"

: "When dealing with evil or the black arts, the answer is simple... Burn them until they are naught but ashes."

: "So!? Why are you taking it so leisurely!?"

There's another choice, but we don't have the luck for it.

Somehow the window had been sealed with a magic barrier.

It's not my style to do things as slap-dash as this, but I don't have any other choice.

I whip a 'Dancing Flames Talisman' out of my pocket.

: "I've been saving this... Burn them to ashes! Dancing Flames!!!"

The screen flashes red, coming out from the scroll. It's accompanied by a whooshy sound, so I guess that did the trick.

: "Hoho! Well done, nice and crisp. You are so stingy... you should have just used it from the beginning."

: "I said that I was saving it. I only have one of those left."

: "I see..."

: "So, let's go greet the master of the mansion. He's been such a gracious host... we have to return the favor."

: "Looks like there's a path here."

Nash, you're in a mansion. There are hallways everywhere.

: "We've been invited to a party. Your master didn't want us to leave without saying hello."

: "Enough of this farce, butler. You are little more than a puppet. I have no need for you."

: "My master is unlikely to grant you an audience. Particularly as he is not aware that you are visiting us at all, Lady Sierra."

: "Oh? Perhaps you are more than a mere butler. But your decision to not report my presence to your master will only work to my benefit."

: "I cannot allow my master to cone into contact with the Founder. Take your leave of this place."

Oh no, he's a vampire and he has creepy long vampire nails! The terror!

The butler's fingernails grew into sharp claws. There isn't a single opening in his stance. He seemed different from the stiff zombies from before.

I wonder if it hurts to grow your nails into claws or whatever.

: "I will leave him to you, Nash."

: "Yeah, leave him to... What?! Give me a hand here, Sierra!"

: "No. I have used too much of my power already."

: "Cease your blabbering!"

The butler's claws cut through the air. I jump backwards, narrowly avoiding his attack, and quickly pull out a talisman from my pocket.

: "drat it! You!!"

A faint light radiated from the talisman I held, but...

: "Hurry up... he does not seem to be burning."

: "A while ago, you did say that you had been 'saving' that talisman?"

The talisman I'd taken out fluttered uselessly to the floor.

: "You dare threaten me?! Unforgiveable!"

His claws slashed at me with superhuman speed and power.

I somehow managed to avoid them, but if he keeps this up, I'll be driven into a corner.

: "I guess there's no avoiding it! I'll take you on! Come on!"

Pointing my right hand at the butler, I ready my left hand in preparation for the attack.

Just before the butler carves through my body, I pull the trigger of the dart launcher hidden in the glove on my right hand, firing an iron dart at the butler.

: "You're a clever one..."

: "Guaaaaaahhhh!!!"

: "How's that? The rest are made of silver. That should be a little effective, right?"

: "What could you possibly defeat with that?"

The butler had fallen down, but he slowly stood back up. The wounds he'd taken from the darts had already begun to heal.

: "Ah... Seems it's time for round two."

: "I've had it with you!!!"

: "Oh man, this is bad. Sierra! Help me out here!"

: "No, I need to conserve my energy."

: "Say what you like, it's all pointless if we die here!"

: "You will manage somehow!"

Wow, thanks for that vote of confidence, Sierra! She looks really unimpressed when she says that line.

: "Somehow? That's so irresponsible..."

It was then that I noticed the butler's attacks had stopped.

: "Hahahaha... This... begins to bore me..."

: "That so? Well, you're certainly not lacking in confidence, are you?"

: "Well then, how about this?"

The butler opened his mouth, and out came a piercing wail, sending a shock wave at me.

drat it...

There's no way he'll falter and miss me.

As he struck a blow, I quickly drew a knife from the holster on my left hand and somehow managed to block the force of his claws, but not his murderous intent.

: "I had hoped you'd catch them! And now... the finishing blow..."

His strength is inhuman. His claws inch closer and closer towards the tip of my nose.

: "H-hey... You're... forgetting... something..."

: "The Founder, you mean? Regrettably, she seems to have disappeared. Seems you've been abandoned, poor thing. How pitiful."

: "Ghh..."

: "Now... resign yourself..."

: "It's almost... time..."

: "?"

Gentle light radiated from the magic circle drawn on the floor, shining on my back and enveloping the room.

: "Urgh... grahhh!!"

As the rays of light touched the butler, he cried out in agony.

: "You're strong, but not strong enough."

: "Guaaaahhhh!!!"

The butler's body began to crumble and soon vanished. Once the light had faded, Sierra emerged from the shadows in the corridor.

: "He was shivering when he first saw you take out that talisman, but he ignored it when he thought it did not work... What a fool."

: "Yeah..."

I picked up the 'Exorcism talisman' from the floor.

It had a dramatic effect on the undead, but its flaw was the amount of time it took to activate.

: "I actually wanted to save it for this 'master' guy..."

: "Hmph. You might as well have thrown it away. A talisman of that level would have little effect upon him. Even if you did bring it with you, he would just laugh at you. Well, let us go."

: "A reunion with an old friend, huh..."

At the end of a corridor on the third floor, I opened the door that seemed to be the entrance to the tower.

Looking at what lies in front of us, I can't help but sigh. Before us is another door.

Made of steel, it looked over me. I cautiously approach the door and give it a push.

It doesn't budge an inch.

There doesn't appear to be a handle or keyhole of any kind, so I can only conclude that it's some sort of portcullis.

I look around for something to lift it with, but I can't find anything.

Maybe it can only be opened from the other side. What should we do? There are probably still zombies coming after us...

We've gotten this far, we aren't leaving until we meet the master of this mansion.

: "I've got a favor to ask, Sierra."

: "Hm. What is it?"

: "I'm going to blow up this door. But it'll take me a while to prepare, so..."

: "Hm. I sense the approach of a group of the undead coming our way. I assume it is about that?"

: "Can you do something about it?"

: "You ask such troublesome things... I can conjure up a barrier around this door to ward off evil, but it will only last a short while... Will that be sufficient?"

: "I'll manage. Sierra... I'm counting on you."

: "Says the one who usually responds to requests with 'I don't want to'..."

: "That is because you are never serious. I cannot abide insincere requests... But this time is different."

I took out some wire, paper and gunpowder from my cloak.

Over the course of two years, I was trained in the secrets of gunpowder and gun-making by the 'Howling Voice Guild,' an organization that holds a unique position in Harmonia.

It was an art I had practice until I thought I'd vomit blood.

I never got to become a 'Gunner' and be chosen by a gun, but I did learn the art of gunpowder.

I could use what I had learned to blow up this big door.

I don't carry around large quantities of gunpowder, though.

I'll just have to work with what I have...

: "Phew... The barrier is complete..."

: "Hey, don't lean on me! You'll throw me off."

: "Sorry, but I need you to lend me your back. I have used too much of my power tonight..."

: "......... You can rest if you want. I'll wake you up when I'm done. We still have work to do, right?"

Measuring out the exact amounts of gunpowder necessary, I wrap it in paper.

It will only work if I set them up at the right locations around the door and make them all go off at once.

Beyond Sierra's barrier, the undead groan. I try to focus on my task, but it's not going very well.

: "Hey... Sierra."

: "What...?"

: "You never mentioned how you met this guy."

: "Your chatter never ceases, does it...?"

: "That's cold... Well..."

: "Hm... Well, he was born long before you were..."

: "I see..."

: "Hey... Should you not keep working...?"

: "Ah... yeah..."

: "......... Well... I might as well tell you an old story... Just ignore me if you have no interest. Whether or not you listen is your own choice..."

: "This hole... it's so small... It's not easy to get this through..."

: "Heheheh."

:3:

Some sad piano music starts fading in from the silence. As a side-note, I'll be putting any flashback dialogue in italics, and keeping her narrating normal.

: "I was cursed with one of the 27 True Runes, the Moon Rune... When my body changed into something not human, it was impossible for me to live with normal people. I did not become the master of the Moon Rune, rather, it was the Moor Rune that became my master..."

: "Day after day, the Rune's evil hunger wracked my body until even reason seemed madness... I did the only thing I could; I escaped into a forest, seeking a land where no humans dwelt..."

: "Deep, deep in the forest I built a cabin. It was small, with only one window, and not a single piece of proper furniture, but it was enough. I could like there alone peacefully."

: "So I lived there alone for many, many years. Fore decades, I lived by myself, with no one to talk to, counting the years by the forest's changing colors."

: "And so I lived, the days indistinguishable from years, until he appeared. It if was by the will of the gods... Then I curse them... But, at that moment, I was overcome with happiness."

: "Guided by the trees of the forest, I timidly stepped outside my cabin."

And thus, we get our first look at Sierra's old friend.

: "The man sat, resting his back against a tree. His long, silver hair flowed down past his waist. He was beautiful, like a knight from the fairy tales I had heard, back when I was still human."

: "He had been attacked by an animal or a monster. It had left a deep wound across his chest. I approached him, and he spoke, his every breath filled with pain..."

: "I was scared. It had been hundreds of years since I had spoken with anyone..."

: "Where... am..."

: "I-I..."

: "P-plese... near... near... here... there is a... carriage... Milady..."

: "A... a carriage... but... I do not sense the presence of any humans... aside from you..."

: "Please... Milady..."

: "A c-carriage... I understand..."

: "I had gone to such lengths to avoid humans, but I cannot deny the fact that my heard was nearly bursting with joy. I thought I had forgotten how to speak. I searched the forest. I wanted to grant the knight's request. I wanted to fulfill the wish of a human."

: "I soon discovered the carriage... And the remains of a woman... I returned to the knight..."

: "......... M-milady... you..."

: "I see... Cough! Hrk!"

COUGH! Can you imagine if people said sound effects instead of just doing them i real life?

I'm ruining the moment, sorry.

: "A-are... you okay...?"

: "Cough... cough.... It seems... My life is... at its end... What a... waste."

: "I couldn't even protect milady... And now I can't even get my revenge... Dying here... is..."

He pauses.

: "Maddening... It's maddening! What was my life for?! What did I learn the art of the sword for?! What was the point of the oath I swore?! drat... this place... I'm cursed... my whole life... is cursed... I do not fear death! If this is my fate, I accept it! Even so... this is a disgrace... Upon my honor... It's... maddening..."

What a drama queen.

: "As he spoke, the knight started crying. Genuine tears of sadness... At that moment, I felt sorrow, whether it was because I was about to see a human I had spoken with disappear, or because I hated him for obtaining the gift of death that I wished for... Even now, I still do not know..."

: "Before I realized what I was doing, I found myself nestled close to the knight."

: "Life... and death... Both are prisons of darkness... But I say there is still good reason to keep you here on this earth..."

: "W-what are... you..."

: "This abominable curse that my body is under... It is a hollow life... but..."

: "That was the first time... I drank the blood of a human. Although I knew that I should not spread the curse... I acted out of compassion... But what I felt then... It was not true compassion."

: "I took the man's blood and gave him mine. Our blood mixed and became one... and so was born one who shared the same fate as I. The man said his name was Rean. As he regained consciousness and while his wounds began to heal, I told him of my tale... The day after he learned what happened to him, he disappeared."

: "I waited for him. I kept waiting, even while thinking that he might never return. But as far as I was concerned, I had plenty of time to spare..."

: "Before lone, Rean returned... He did not talk about what he had been doing. Whether he had pursued his responsibilities or his revenge, I did not know... And I did not want to know."

: "After that, we spend many long years together. Together, we found hidden strength in ourselves. What I could not understand on my own, I discovered with Rean, and I was happy. And so we spend a thousand days of rain, a thousand days of wind..."

: "Time flowed by slowly for a long time. Over the course of an eternity, Rean and I met more and more people who came to the forest seeking deliverance."

: "At those times, I... I gave life to those who rejected death. Little by little, our circle grew bigger. Before we knew it, our gathering was a village."

: "We named it the 'Village of the Blue Moon.' By that time, I had finally become someone who could truly be called the master of the Moon Rune. Thanks to Rean's help... In the center of the village we built an altar and enshrined the Rune there."

: "This way, the villagers were able to live under the Rune's protection, away from the eyes of humans. Everyone thought that we could continue living contentedly that way."

: "But living as we did, I had forgotten... Or I had tried to forget... How the hearts of humans change... How they were made of the most fragile glass in the world..."

: "The incident happened without warning... One of the villagers stole the Moon Rune and ran away to the outside world."

: "His name was Neclord. It had not been long since he had joined us, but he was a young, good-natured fellow, well-liked by all, even me."

Neclord, as I have mentioned, was a villain from Suikoden and Suikoden II. That's a really terrible name for a person, though, especially if he was originally a nice guy.

: "I was still protected by the Rune as the Founder, but the same did not hold true for the other villagers and after Neclord stole the Rune they began to experience 'perishing,' true death."

: "You may find it hard to believe, but almost all of the villagers accepted death peacefully. Maybe they were tired of living, I do not know. I apologized as they endured excruciating pain, but some even smiled as they left me behind."

: "However, some refused such a death and ran away to the outside world...Rean was one of them... After losing the protection of the Rune, there was only one way the villagers could survive... To accept the curse of vampires, and feed on the blood of humans..."

: "By stealing the souls of humans, they cold cling to their lives for all eternity... Crude... ugly... despicable... That is what Rean has chosen to become... And that is why I must kill him, with my own hands. I gave him life. I shared a life with him... I will not let him sully... those memories..."

: "......... Sorry for the wait, Sierra. I'm done."

: "You fool... Because you took so long, I've said too much..."

: "Sorry about that. But, actually, I was focusing so hard at the end that I wasn't really listening."

: "How... very like you..."

Ha...

Next time, we blow up a door and punch a pretty-boy in the face! And then wrap up the first part of this game.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That recycled music. :allears: And "talisman" = what the other games call scrolls.

Still. I'm enjoying Solid SNash more than I thought I would. He's... pretty good. :ocelot:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Hooray, we've finally met Lilly. She's one of my favorite characters purely because of her character; I have a personal affinity for the clueless, arrogant and self-centered noble person because it's easy to get a laugh at their expense.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
If I'm not mistaken, while the tune is recycled, it's been touched up a bit, hasn't it? Also, Sierra's a terrible judge of character.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

That recycled music. :allears: And "talisman" = what the other games call scrolls.

Still. I'm enjoying Solid SNash more than I thought I would. He's... pretty good. :ocelot:

Yeah, I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, to be honest. Nash is a pretty likeable guy, and seeing him get in over his head and shenanigan his way out of things is pretty fun.

Testekill posted:

Hooray, we've finally met Lilly. She's one of my favorite characters purely because of her character; I have a personal affinity for the clueless, arrogant and self-centered noble person because it's easy to get a laugh at their expense.

:allears: She is very entertaining, yes. I feel like people don't give her enough credit since she comes off as the Arrogant Bitch kind of archetype, but she is a much better and more developed character than that. I wish she weren't such a mediocre combat unit, though.

Verant posted:

If I'm not mistaken, while the tune is recycled, it's been touched up a bit, hasn't it? Also, Sierra's a terrible judge of character.

She really is. I feel like being named Neclord is enough to raise some red flags on that dude. I mean, that can't be what his parents named him -- who would name a child that? So he decided after escaping death that he wanted to be called Neclord.

Also, sorry about being so late on that update. This last week was pretty hellish, and putting an update together takes a lot of time. This week should be a bit better, at least. I'm planning on having updates alternate between a Sui3 part and a Gaiden part until we get through the Gaiden, though if we get to the chapter 3's in III before wrapping up Nash's adventures, I might just do Gaiden updates until we finish them.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Hey, maybe it means something less sinister in some local language.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Okay, I lied -- this week is no less hellish. Sorry guys. :sigh: I'll try to have an update by the weekend, but that's gonna be crazy busy too, so no promises.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
As someone who knows all about hellish weeks, I say take your sweet time. We understand.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

yokaiy posted:

Okay, I lied -- this week is no less hellish. Sorry guys. :sigh: I'll try to have an update by the weekend, but that's gonna be crazy busy too, so no promises.

I think you're being too hard on yourself because you measure your pace against Vilkacis' Suikoden LP. He's some sort of LP updating machine; plenty of LPs update a lot slower than this one.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Bremen posted:

plenty of LPs update a lot slower than this one.

A good example is the Planescape: Torment LP, which if I remember correctly went on for the better part of a decade.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Haha, thanks guys. :blush: I just feel bad when the thread goes stagnant for a few days is all.

And I'm probably comparing my pace to Vilk's as well. Vilk, you're too good at this LPing thing.

Actually, a lot of the LPs I read tend to move really fast. This may or may not be because they are/have been mostly Fire Emblem? I dunno, FE LPs tend to go quickly.

bentacos posted:

A good example is the Planescape: Torment LP, which if I remember correctly went on for the better part of a decade.

:stare:

Was it at least really good?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yokaiy posted:

Haha, thanks guys. :blush: I just feel bad when the thread goes stagnant for a few days is all.

And I'm probably comparing my pace to Vilk's as well. Vilk, you're too good at this LPing thing.

Actually, a lot of the LPs I read tend to move really fast. This may or may not be because they are/have been mostly Fire Emblem? I dunno, FE LPs tend to go quickly.

Fire Emblem is fairly easy to update quickly. Any story involved in a chapter has already been transcribed at SF, which saves a lot of time, and depending on how much detail you go into one chapter doesn't require much commentary.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

yokaiy posted:

It maintained a gold thread status for most of its time running, if that tells you anything. I never actually read it, but it's become kind of revered around here as The LP That Would Not Die.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

yokaiy posted:

Considering the game in question, yes. It was that good.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

yokaiy posted:

It was a great story-driven LP of an awesome game, and I HIGHLY recommend everyone read it on the LP Archive if you're into fantasy fiction at all.

Another timeless LP is the Sakura Wars one, though that's more due to the LPer being in law school and consequently vanishing for months at a time. That thread has been mod-locked and reopened at least three or more times. Unfortunately, most of the earlier updates were lost with Waffleimages, but I think the LPer is slowly re-uploading them...

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I recall that he had finished re-uploading either all or almost all of the old lost images. Either way, that LP is loving hilarious when it actually updates.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's not really fair to compare me to mere mortals since as previously discussed I am a wizard :smug:

(people say that as if I've never had to put LPing on hold because of RL bullshit or anything!)

But yeah, playing video games for the internet is a pretty low priority thing. Anyone who doesn't understand that is free to seek their free entertainment elsewhere. v:geno:v

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Okay. Planescape: Torment and Sakura Wars... I'll have to track both of those down now. You said Planescape is on the LP archive, so it shouldn't be that hard to find. Has the Sakura Wars LP updated recently enough that I'd be able to actually read it without the archives upgrade? It doesn't sound like it's done yet, right?

vilkacis posted:

It's not really fair to compare me to mere mortals since as previously discussed I am a wizard :smug:

You fool! Ducks are no mere mortals! :ducksiren:

But yeah, thanks guys. :unsmith:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

yokaiy posted:

Okay. Planescape: Torment and Sakura Wars... I'll have to track both of those down now. You said Planescape is on the LP archive, so it shouldn't be that hard to find. Has the Sakura Wars LP updated recently enough that I'd be able to actually read it without the archives upgrade? It doesn't sound like it's done yet, right?
http://lparchive.org/lpmaster/
For all your LP finding needs.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

yokaiy posted:

Has the Sakura Wars LP updated recently enough that I'd be able to actually read it without the archives upgrade?

I think so. Here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2564759&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

edit: or just use the masterlist, yeah.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

yokaiy posted:

But yeah, thanks guys. :unsmith:

Sakura wars is on page 11 right now.
He has reuploaded pics for most of the chapters(I think almost caught up)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

vilkacis posted:

You've just got the True Rune of Updating, is all. Playing through all of Suikoden 4 and Tactics is proof enough that it's enough of a dick to be a True Rune.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Actually what happened is I played IV and recruited all my 108 Stars of Updatesiny in the process, which allowed me to beat the thing into submission, which in turn allowed me to move on to good games like Tactics and V.

yokaiy posted:

That duck looks like it wishes it could die, though. :stonk:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait. Is Tir supposed to be the Flame Champion? I remember the Fire Spears figuring prominently into a battle he fought, but I have no idea if it was around here or not.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Nah. Suikoden III takes place 18 years after Suikoden, making Tir around 35 at this time (17 or so at the start of Suikoden plus 18 for time gap. Might be as old as 38 considering how long Suikoden lasts). The Fire Bringer War took place something like 50 years before Suikoden III.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

vilkacis posted:

Actually what happened is I played IV and recruited all my 108 Stars of Updatesiny in the process, which allowed me to beat the thing into submission, which in turn allowed me to move on to good games like Tactics and V.

So you bear the rune of Punishment which is now in its forgiveness phase.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CmdrKing posted:

Nah. Suikoden III takes place 18 years after Suikoden, making Tir around 35 at this time (17 or so at the start of Suikoden plus 18 for time gap. Might be as old as 38 considering how long Suikoden lasts). The Fire Bringer War took place something like 50 years before Suikoden III.

Try more like 60-70, judging by the timeline Suikosource has. For reference, Teo McDohl, Tir's father, was supposedly born during the Fire Bringer War. There's no way that it took place during, or in the background of, any of the other games.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Try more like 60-70, judging by the timeline Suikosource has. For reference, Teo McDohl, Tir's father, was supposedly born during the Fire Bringer War. There's no way that it took place during, or in the background of, any of the other games.

To be fair though I do remember reading somewhere that Tir was named after the Flame Champion though I couldn't for the life of me provide a source.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
The Fire Bringer War ended 50 years prior to Suikoden III. The war itself was about 18 years long, so you are both technically correct. In the game, though, they usually just say 50 years ago.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Strayed posted:

To be fair though I do remember reading somewhere that Tir was named after the Flame Champion though I couldn't for the life of me provide a source.

This thread, first post after yokaiy asks us to name the Flame Champion:

vilkacis posted:

It is a little known fact that Tir in the original Suikoden was named after the Flame Champion.

Also, Joe is the best duck. :wotwot:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

yokaiy posted:

The Fire Bringer War ended 50 years prior to Suikoden III. The war itself was about 18 years long, so you are both technically correct. In the game, though, they usually just say 50 years ago.

Ooohhhh. That explains a lot.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Hugo Chapter 2.2 - So Sore From All This Fighting

So, continuing from last time, we find ourselves locked into a very intense battle with the Man in Black.

This battle hinges entirely on whether you get unlucky or not, which makes it a little different from some of the other difficult battles where you have to get lucky to win instead of unlucky to lose.

I think we can take him, though.

I have Lilly use her Sword of Rage Rune in hopes of her being able to do something useful.

It, uh.

It doesn't really help.

There we go, Hugo!

No, bad! You're not allowed to miss!

(There's going to be a LOT of missing in this fight.)

I have Ernie use Wind of Sleep, forgetting that it totally doesn't work on him. :cripes: Oh well, I don't think he would have helped much anyway. Same with Bert.

You see, this battle is dependent on whether or not Hugo goes down, which he shouldn't unless you get unlucky.

The MiB is an interesting change in that, although he uses Lightning Runes which have been terrifyingly amazing to this point, it's what you want him to use.

He's... surprisingly bad with it. He'll do at most 70 damage with it, and trust me, that is better than him hitting you with his swords. There's also the chance that you can make him stop chanting by hitting him hard enough, wasting his turn.

And this is why Joe should stay on healing duty for this fight. The MiB is hard to hit, and can parry pretty often. Sometimes he'll even counter.

Anyway, the Tinto Trio have a Unite, so let's check that out.

Lilly looks to Beevis.

And then to Butthead.

And orders her lackeys to charge!

They zoom forward and start the smack-down.

Lilly, on the other hand, just watches them approvingly for a few moments.

She then joins in the attack.

:sigh:

Lilly berserks, and Lute and Dingo get unbalanced.

:syoon:

:qq:

Lilly rolls a 1.

She gets stabbed as punishment. Her two mooks go berserk as she goes down.

:qq: :qq: :qq:

So, that happens a lot.

In addition to being obscenely hard to hit, the Man in Black also hits for a good amount of damage. This is split between Hugo and Fubar, mind you, so he's doing practically twice that against the others. He can also attack twice, so be prepared to eat a lot of damage.

You should be fine so long as Joe keeps healing, though. His skill with Water Magic lets him heal faster than anyone can attack, so it's super useful. Like I said, Hugo shouldn't go down before Joe can patch him up.

Aside from missing all the time, the battle isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

Hugo also has a pretty good chance to get a critical. Of course, so does the MiB.

The team eats a few more lightning attacks.

Hugo gets stabbed a few more times.

Really, the Mario Brothers are lucky he never went after them outside of Rune attacks, because they wouldn't have survived. The bad-blonde here usually focuses on Hugo, which is a very good thing.

Joe continues to provide bandaids while Ephraim and Eirika continue to miss.

Congratulations, Kuwabara, you are now the less lovely of your pair.

And, finally, the Man in Black goes down.

For our victory, we get 10000 potch, a piddling amount of experience (no one gains any levels), and a Gold Emblem, which will increase defense and magic resistance a little bit.

Of course...

Beating him just makes him mad.

This line bothers me a bit. I don't know if it's a matter of translation or not, but it feels weird for Hugo to be like "I'M GONNA KILL YOU." I feel like he'd have seen enough death for the time being after the Karaya thing.

Moving on, though...

I like this line. :allears:

He gets back up like nothing happened.

Lilly takes a step backwards, and the trio glare at the blonde man who is probably getting ready for a round two that no one except he can deal with right now. Seriously. I don't think we could take him a second time. Joe's burned through a lot of his casts already.

But suddenly!

The ground between them begins to ripple.

: "Now what?"

Sarah warps in, rising from the ground like usual.

Veterans of the series could probably see this reveal coming, but for those of you who don't know, he's a recurring villain from Suikoden I and II. He is also the bearer of one of the 27 True Runes, the Eightfold Rune. So yeah, we just made enemies of a pretty dangerous psychotic badass.

:thumbsup:

Oh, and also we've made him absolutely livid.

Sarah warps away.

He is fuming.

Yuber also warps away, though. Lucky for us.

Of course, it's too late to stop them. I'm not sure Joe really wanted to stop them anyway.

A fade-in later, we see that the bunch is still faffing about in the main room.

: "We didn't learn much about what they were doing."

: "Can't say we learned anything!"

Never stop, Lilly.

: "Me too."

Boy and duck walk off.

: "Kuuueee!"

Fubar runs off after them.

: "............"

: "What a job."

Once again in control, we now have freedom to explore the rest of the Highway. There's not much going on here anymore, though, and although the mini-map shows the path continuing beyond that giant door, it won't budge.

We continue down the western hall towards the Great Hollow, as originally intended.

: "From how far we've come, I'd say we're close to the Great Hollow of the Lizard Clan."

: "The sooner the better."

Lilly passes the two as they stop for their chat.

She walks ahead as the two Grasslanders turn to have a hushed chat.

: "You think the Lizard Clan has that for you?"

: "She'll find out soon enough."

Hugo looks genuinely worried, but I think Joe is enjoying it.

A little further down the passage, aaaand...

Sunlight!

: "And fresh air! Only zombies could have lasted much longer in that tunnel."

Lilly looks to Hugo proudly.

Honestly, I was half expecting a fit of nervous laughter at having survived that ordeal, but if they were going to enjoy the moment any more, it got cut off by a crashing sound.

The group turns their attention to the road ahead.

: "?"

: "That sound..."

The Grasslanders and mooks both rush past a stunned Lilly.

She composes herself a few moments later, and she and Fubar run after the rest of the group.

Below, the Zexens and Lizards battle fiercely, as our heroes have a conversation off-screen.

: "Look at this!"

: "Those are Zexen Knights. The ironheads hit Karaya, and now they're after the Lizard Clan!"

: "This looks... serious."

: "You mean the Zexens look serious."

: "But why now -- again?"

: " 'Again'?"

: "Sergeant, we must join the battle!"

: "Hugo -- Come back!"

: "Don't leave me here, you fool!"

They rush down to the battlefield, but a Zexen soldier spots them and runs over.

Psh. After Yuber, this is nothin'.

Even Lilly can beat them into next week with little effort.

These chucklefucks, however, both get countered. The Twinkie gets parried too, so not only does he take unnecessary damage, but he doesn't even deal any damage. At least the Swiss Roll managed to hit something first.

Lilly finishes off the last one, saving her servants the embarrassment of going down.

: "I should hope so."

Hugo is still A Little Upset.

We're given control once again, on the edge of the battle. Taking approximately two steps will trigger a "random" battle, much like it did when we were attacking the Hollow as Chris.

Lunatone is on fire for this battle, though.

Well, he got parried here, actually, but at least he protected himself against the damage.

Solrock did okay too, I suppose.

I'm going to run out of pairs to replace their names with, I bet.

Joe really needs some weapon sharpening, he's starting to fall behind.

Anyway, the Zexens go down, and we get to see Chris again.

: "Your actions have already overstepped those bounds."

: "It looks like the White Maiden of the Knights wants bloodshed."

: "What?!"

: "Wait, Leo."

: "I wasn't expecting to meet the Karaya Clan Chief so soon after the treaty negotiations. I admire your coming forward personally once more."

: "I couldn't resist seeing the pretty face of the Zexen Knight captain again."

: "You have a treacherous tongue."

: "And you, White Maiden, come with the treacherous sword that took lives from my clan. You hold that bloodied sword of yours even now!"

Events unfold just as they did in Chris's chapter.

: "If it's war you want..."

: "As my ancestors did before me, I, the new Lizard Clan Chief, take an oath of vengeange!"

: "But... That was...."

: "It was inevitable! Such is war. Barbarians of Grassland! You must pay for betraying our trust! Prepare to learn your lesson!"

Like most crossing points, this one is an abbreviated version, as it cuts back to Hugo's group.

They're having a bit of a strategy meeting pow-wow.

: "We've made it this far, but there's too many irohneads for us to get through without a fight."

Fubar doesn't like this war thing! Fubar just wants to be fed and go for rides on the plains with Hugo!

: "What is it?"

: "Kue?"

We're dropped off right in front of the entrance. Let's chat up those Lizard guards, first.

:unsmith: We'll be glad to see her too. Hugo could use some mommy-hugs, I think.

: "The silver maiden is so young, yet she's leading the knights! With the ironheads retreating, we won't see her fight. What a pity."

With nothing else to do outside, we can head in. Next time, mommy-hugs and sadness.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 24, 2013

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

So, Yuber. Yuber is such a boring villain in the first games (Oh noes he is the DARK KNIGHT and PURE EVIL this sort of crap is really noticeable in Suikoden where the villains by and large are pretty interesting and have things like motivations and moral codes), but drat if he doesn't have some style here in three. If you're like me and played it first, there's always that little bit of irrational like for him.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

yokaiy posted:

I'm going to run out of pairs to replace their names with, I bet.

I doubt you'll run out of paired names before they run out of screen time, but if worse comes to worst you can always just call them paired Stars from other Suikoden games, or even parallel stars not from the SAME Suikoden games, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
To this day, I wonder if Yuber dropped his armored look because he was tired of Pesmerga following him or because the Masked Man made him. And, if the latter, how in the world did he manage it?

At least he stopped summoning giant zombie dragons like he did in II. That thing was a pain my first time through the game.

• Locked thread